• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Craziest thing a GameStop employee has said to you.

Walpurgis

Banned
Last gen, I would always catch EB Games workers convincing poor old ladies that the 360 had a bluray player and that Call of Duty only worked on that. I've seen it at every EB Games location that I've visited in the city.

More recently, I saw Halo 5 and some non-gaming related item being advertised on the two windows by the door (it's in a mall).....on the week that MGSV came out. Seems like the fanboyism is still strong there.

KevinG

"Titanfall is like a 500 GB download on Xbox One, you don't want the digital version."

To convince me of keeping my physical preorder. Never returned to this particular store.

Misinformation preached as absolutely true information, no mater where and how, is my biggest pet peeve.

When I bought my second PS4:

*chuckle* Bought the hype, eh?

When I bought my Vita:

"You know this is a dead system, right? Better off with a 3DS."

When I bought my 3DS two weeks later from the same employee:

"PS Vita has an overall better library in my opinion".

WAT

Man, I've never understood how so many people seem to run into either terrible Gamestop experiences or downright stupid employees. I've never really run into one or had any sort of bad experience at Gamestop, and I've been getting most of my games there for over a decade now. Maybe I'm just lucky?

I guess my closest thing I can think of is when I asked about how we got our codes for the Street Fighter V Beta, the employee had no idea how we did that. He thought maybe I needed to redeem the reciept on Capcom's website or something. I thought it was kinda weird that a Gamestop employee didn't know about something pretty integral and fairly big to a big game preorder, but that's not really crazy.

I never did get that code emailed to me, I ended up preordering on Amazon, got the code, and immediately cancelled the preorder.

poodaddy

A game stop employee told me that there's no speed difference between SSDs and HHDs, I tried to explain to him why he was wrong and how flash memory works as opposed to mechanical memory and he dropped this gem on me. "Modern consoles and PC's can't even read flash memory at all." I know game stop employees don't have to be techies but.....come on man.

Mario Kart 7 had came out that day. I went in, picked up the case off the shelf, and said I wanted to buy it.

"Oh, I'm sorry. We just sold the last one to that kid."

I was about to walk out and then remembered to go back and ask where the nearest GameStop with a copy would be.

Turns out the guy above was trolling both me *and* his co-worker. Goddammit. :p

eXistor

I work in a gamestore myself and thankfully we're all game fans that know what we're talking about, but the shit customers spew sometimes...wow. I almost got into an arguement with one dude that got mad at me for not thinking a Dreamcast 2 would ever happen. In fact he had it on "good authority" that Sega was making it right now (this was 2 years ago or something). I just said "alright man, have a good day" and went on with my work. He aso though CDi was amazing and that Nintendo has been ripping them off...in whatever way he thought. Dude was insane I think.

One guy rang up a copy of Kinect Adventures for 99 cents so I would get a trade in offer making my trade in go from $36 to $60 or so. Was really cool. He asked me if I wanted it and upon saying no he literally threw it in the trash next to the counter :p

bjork

I went into a gamestop two weeks ago, and I bought a copy of Yakuza 3. It was like $10. The guy never said a single word to me. Not "are you a rewards member", not "do you have our service", not "do you want this magazine" etc. Not even, "here's your change, have a good one." He said zero words the entire time. The store was empty other than myself and my friend Mikey, and I have to say, if I were to rate the experiece

IT WAS AWESOME.

I almost wish gamestop would rebrand some of their stores so that you walk like 10 feet in and it's just a wall of touchscreens where you can cruise their selection, then you pay at some ATM thing and the game just pops out of a little slot like a toaster. The person could work back behind the wall in what used to be the sales floor, but now it's a bigass storage space. It would be so great for everything other than selling games to them, because I haven't worked that part out yet. But I saw a shining glimpse of a bullshit-free experience at GS and it was wonderful.

foxdvd

bought my daughter a new ds game...when I commented on it already being opened, they said it was new, and no one had touched it. We got home only to find save files already on the game. I went back to see if I could at least get the used game price, and they told me that employees were allowed to play the games, but that it was still "new because we are trained to take care of the games better than the manufacturer"

poodaddy

When I bought my Vita:

WAT

Bipolar employee maybe?

Nyoro SF

I remember overhearing a GS employee tell a pair of customers (obviously parents) that the Wii "had a huge amount of hard drive space" and flinching

mackattk

A game stop employee told me that there's no speed difference between SSDs and HHDs, I tried to explain to him why he was wrong and how flash memory works as opposed to mechanical memory and he dropped this gem on me. "Modern consoles and PC's can't even read flash memory at all." I know game stop employees don't have to be techies but.....come on man.

Your first problem with that story is that you took the bait and started discussing/arguing about it. If I am ever in that situation I just roll my eyes and get through the transaction.

Kyzer

Banned
One time I return a PSP I bought from Gamestop because it had some issues. Anywho, the Gamestop rep was trying to take out the battery and goes "Come on you *n word*"

Me the whole time...
[IM]http://rack.2.mshcdn.com/media/ZgkyMDEzLzA2LzEyLzRhL3doYXQuMmJkNzEuZ2lmCnAJdGh1bWIJMTIwMHg5NjAwPg/e959e4b1/5b5/what.gif[/IMG]

o_O

with a hard R?

I had a lady hound me to get me to sign up for the GameStop credit card one time when I went to pick up a pre-order. She kept pressing on and on about how it would give me 10,000 free rewards points, and I had to keep telling her no since I had zero need for more debt. It sucks because she was being incredibly nice before the transaction actually started, but she just dogging me to sign up for the credit card once the transaction began. A part of me really wished I could just walk out of the store and pick it up elsewhere, but I was picking up Bayonetta 2 and that store was the only store in town that still had it in stock so I had to go through with it.

Way back in the day, I was told by a gamestop employee that I couldn't play the gamecube demo unit since I was disabled and wouldn't be purchasing one. BTW I complained to Gamestop and the company made up for it.

Overheard a GameStop employee making a hard sell on preordering to a soccer mom about 5 years ago: "New game releases this fall are going to be ridiculously hard to get."

poodaddy

Your first problem with that story is that you took the bait and started discussing/arguing about it. If I am ever in that situation I just roll my eyes and get through the transaction.

I wasn't arguing about anything, just trying to inform him, that's all. Trust me when he dropped that golden turd I realized what kind of person I was speaking to and made an exit stage left.

No bad experiences per say. I have just dislike having to hear them go through their spiel about preorders, season passes, and the magazine they are trying to sell. I know the poor schlub has to go through it because corporate is breathing down their necks.

Edit: Also the most obnoxious of them try to, ahem, "bro up" to me by guessing what other games I would be interested in to get me to preorder. Yeahhhh...no... let's just finish this transaction and move on with our lives.

pizzacat

Banned
While with a friend picking up TPP for her.

HUGE SPOILERS

You know, it's not gonna be the last MGS, you don't even really play as Big Boss, you play as Venom Snake, who is an impersonator.

Yeah...
Bruuh

I would have a been livid

I would have called them an
impersonator

hbkdx12

While with a female friend looking to find a game to buy

Employee: Hi, is there anything i can help you with?

Her: [At the used game section] I'm just looking over a few games i'm not sure which one to get

Employee: Sure no problem. What type of games is he into? *Goes on to give a sales pitch about different genres and popular games*

Me: [to my friend in the most sarcastic manner i could muster] Are those the games he's into? I don't think he likes those games

Friend: [Nervously laughs while looking at employee] Oh no, it's for me. Thank you though i'll keep looking

Employee: [Pause] Sure no problem. Let me know if you have any questions

Dude was either completely oblivious or didn't give a shit to his implication as he didn't even offer an apology

BadWolf

bought my daughter a new ds game...when I commented on it already being opened, they said it was new, and no one had touched it. We got home only to find save files already on the game. I went back to see if I could at least get the used game price, and they told me that employees were allowed to play the games, but that it was still "new because we are trained to take care of the games better than the manufacturer"

What the hell.

clav

"Get out of my store!" when I corrected an employee who was trying to sell a Nintendo DS to a customer who wanted a system that plays OG gameboy games.

Excerpt of a conversation had when I purchased Wonderful 101

"Wow! You actually own a Wii U?! You're like one of maybe three people I know who has one. Listen man, I'm not trying to tell you what to do or anything, but why not buy a good game like Call of Duty: Ghosts?"

HUELEN10

One time I return a PSP I bought from Gamestop because it had some issues. Anywho, the Gamestop rep was trying to take out the battery and goes "Come on you *n word*"

Me the whole time...
what.gif

Did the rep look like the person on the right?

ncQNiP3.jpg

Seriously, that's completely random and fucked up.

When I bought my Vita:

WAT
maybe the clerk liked 2 be contrarian

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains

Me the whole time...
what.gif

It means battery now. Racism is dead.

When I was buying Bloodborne - I decided to pick it up from a Gamestop because I couldn't wait the few days it would take to ship to my house.

Anyways, walk in, get the 2nd to last copy, and the Gamestop employee starts bullshitting with me about the game. I mention I don't want any spoilers about the game. He starts spoiling stuff anyways (chalice dungeons, first boss kind of hint/strat, gave me hints on the start). What a twat. I mean, I know he's trying to be helpful and friendly, but again I explicitly stated no spoilers.

That and he also said that Bloodborne won't be on PC soon because its graphics are too good. Heh.

TwistedSyn

I went in to buy Tales of Xillia for PS3. When I brought it to the counter the guy said "Why are you buying this anime garbage? Why not buy Call of Duty: Ghosts?" That really pissed me off. Once I bought the game I never went back to that Gamestop.

I remember buying God of War 3 and the GS guy said something like "are you sure you want that? It doesnt even have online multiplayer. Why not buy the latest COD instead?".

Basically been avoiding Gamestop for years though. These days Ill only use them to buy points cards

Walpurgis

Banned
Man, I've never understood how so many people seem to run into either terrible Gamestop experiences or downright stupid employees. I've never really run into one or had any sort of bad experience at Gamestop, and I've been getting most of my games there for over a decade now. Maybe I'm just lucky?

I guess my closest thing I can think of is when I asked about how we got our codes for the Street Fighter V Beta, the employee had no idea how we did that. He thought maybe I needed to redeem the reciept on Capcom's website or something. I thought it was kinda weird that a Gamestop employee didn't know about something pretty integral and fairly big to a big game preorder, but that's not really crazy.

I never did get that code emailed to me, I ended up preordering on Amazon, got the code, and immediately cancelled the preorder.

Should have cancelled the GameStop preorder.

Me: I would like to get a copy of Phantom Pain for PS4.
Employee: Did you pre-order?
Me: No. Do you have any copies left?
Employee: Well, yes... Would you like to pre-order any upcoming games?
Me: No thank you, I don't pre-order games.
Employee: But you will be guaranteed a copy on release date.
Me: I would rather wait for trustworthy reviews to come out before committing to a purchase.
Employee: You can get your pre-order deposit back if you decide not to buy it.
Me: That means I would have to come here to get it back. I would rather not put down a deposit at all.
Employee: Well, the game could be sold out after release date.
Me: Then if I really want it, I will buy it digitally.

It was at this moment he kind of stammered for a moment, but then realized he wasn't going to win. I have to give him credit though, he tried really hard.

h0tp0ck3t

Dude tried to convince me NOT to buy Deadly Premonition when it came out for 360. Telling me I didn't know what I was getting into and that it was one of the worst games ever made. That must be why I now own it on three consoles :p

pizzacat

Banned

Me the whole time...
what.gif
when racists are casually racist in front of normal people it just makes me feel so bad for anyone there

BreakAtmo

"All Xbox 360 games run at 1080p, it says 1080p on the back of every box."

No, he was not talking about upscaling, not did he believe in upscaling when I explained it.

Also, this was the manager.

Alucrid

Banned

At the one I used to go to I never had a problem, they would ask about magazines, preorders, cards etc once but that's it. They were fine if you said no. Another time I stopped at another one in the mall and had a manager call me stupid for not wanting a rewards card. Guess it depends on the store

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Back when the ps3 was coming out, the smear campaign was unbelievable. Can't play used games, games are going to be upwards of 100$ due to bluray, etc.

Top Bottom