• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami Interview: Committed to Core Gamers, MGS doesn’t need Kojima

Septic360

Banned
Hey guys. I did an interview with the Community Manager for Konami regarding Konami's recent successes, the future of MGS without Kojima and this whole malarkey of them abandoning us 'core' gamers in favour of the mobile platform.

I thought you'd like to have a watch. Sorry if its against the rules to publish your own content here.

http://www.gameondaily.com/konami-interview-committed-to-console-gamers-mgs-doesnt-need-kojima/

Graham seemed quite confident in saying that MGS doesn't really need Kojima which was surprising but I didn't push the issue too much.

Also, apparently the whole mobile market aspiration over core gamers (sorry to keep using the term) is a result of complete media misinformation and he later said it was because of the Japanese culture and messages lost in translation.

https://youtu.be/f5wUqyT_G0Y

SigSig

I'm quite confident in saying I don't really need Konami.

edit: I might need Konami, if it meant AC!D 3 on mobile/Vita/3DS.

AHA-Lambda

Also, apparently the whole mobile market aspiration over core gamers (sorry to keep using the term) is a result of complete media misinformation and he later said it was because of the Japanese culture and messages lost in translation.

Ufbr5ej.gif

Tamanator

If it's due to translation issues where are all the Konami console announcements? Hiding in the same basement they had IGA locked in for all those years?

Foffy

Banned
Metal Gear doesn't need Kojima?

Who does it need? An outsourced western company that will water it down and it make it lose its prestige like Silent Hill and Castlevania?

Hey guys. I did an interview with the Community Manager for Konami regarding Konami's recent successes, the future of MGS without Kojima and this whole malarkey of them abandoning us 'core' gamers in favour of the mobile platform.

I thought you'd like to have a watch. Sorry if its against the rules to publish your own content here.

http://www.gameondaily.com/konami-interview-committed-to-console-gamers-mgs-doesnt-need-kojima/

Graham seemed quite confident in saying that MGS doesn't really need Kojima which was surprising but I didn't push the issue too much.

That's nice, but it's hard to believe Konami is interested in non-mobile gaming when they have no upcoming non-mobile games announced.

Crayolan

Ufbr5ej.gif

Edit: Damnittttt

Seriously though I don't think a community manager's opinion is very representative of the company's direction as a whole.

Magwik

Banned
I'm quite confident in saying I don't really need Konami.
As much as I agree with the sentiment, we don't really need to fill every Konami thread with posts like these

Though I think it's interesting as to what sort of core games they even have in mind if they aren't focusing on exclusively mobile

BadWolf

MGSV is proof that MGS does need Kojima and his team. Just look at the thread with all the gameplay tips and tricks.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Wonder if Mr Community Manager believes any of the words he's forced to put out there, or if he's a real true spirit kool aid gulper.

Metal Gear Rising 2 doesn't need Kojima, sure, but I don't see that announced either.

oti

Banned

suuuuure

Steez

As a MGS fan since MGS1, I wholeheartedly agree with the notion that the franchise doesn't need Kojima. In fact, I welcome a game without him after the last few main line entries.

With that being said, I'm confident that Konami is going to fuck up the next game.

lmao @ committed to core gamers though

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Metal Gear doesn't need Kojima?

Who does it need? An outsourced western company that will water it down and it make it lose its prestige like Silent Hill and Castlevania?

Considering how terrible MGS5's story was, the series might benefit with fresh faces.

Markoman

Well, imo the best part of Mozart's Requiem (Confutatis) was done by somebody else.

So, yeah besides all the hate for Konami, I would love to see someone else building on the foundation of Fox Engine 2 and TPP.

MrHoot

I'm expecting fullly that if they try to make another MGS, it will follow basically the assassin's creed formula: No innovation on said formula, just asid open world, sprinkle it with a few additional fluffy stuff, generic story with no satisfying conclusion like we have now, loss of emphasis on details, easter egg and general dumbing down of the franchise

Averon

Isn't Kojima still under contract until December? You'd think they would wait until their current contract with him is expired before they bring out the knives.

What a misleading title? He never said MGS does not need Kojima.

You asked him whether MGS can continue without Kojima, he stated it can continue.

Really OP, change the title.

GavinUK86

Seriously though I don't think a community manager's opinion is very representative of the company's direction as a whole.

I think it is because he's the guy who's job is to communicate with fans so he can't really say what he likes.

What a misleading title? He never said MGS does not need Kojima.

You asked him whether MGS can continue without Kojima, he stated it can continue.

Really OP, change the title.

He can't. Point still stands though, MGS can carry on with Kojima.

Jarmel

Banned
MGS might not need Kojima but it's not like there's anyone at the company who can replace him. I'm sure the failure of Metal Gear Rising's development has to be fresh on some minds.

Tiu Neo

At this point, we need actions, not words. Announce a game, give us some information. Then, maybe people will believe in you, if you don't cancel it.

MGSV is proof that MGS does need Kojima and his team. Just look at the thread with all the gameplay tips and tricks.

People are too blind about that and only care to complain about the story to see that only Kojima and his team care about such details that never fully matter in the grand scheme of things. I'd love to be proven wrong but I have yet to play a game that has as much detail as an MGS game and that goes for all MGS's.

I'll believe it when I see it. The fact that they wouldn't even let Kojima finish MGSV doesn't give me too much confidence. As well as the fact that they have absolutely no games for core gamers in development right now.

massoluk

Banned
I can see why he think that, they are so successful in releasing in hundreds of other AAA console games outside Metal Gear franchise this gen.

Foffy

Banned
Considering how terrible MGS5's story was, the series might benefit with fresh faces.

The story was terrible for two large reasons.

- The change in scope of the game from a linear, focused game to an open world, organic game. Metal Gear's traditional storytelling would have to change, and it did, but it changed for the worse.
- The game clearly went through some development bugbears considering the second half of the game
focuses on copypaste missions
. You could imagine ideals were broken for more practical "just let us try to get something done" sort of feeling you can almost totally taste in the second half of the game.

I can only see a future game where it gets outsourced to a western company who somehow gets basic fucking ideas wrong, like introducing Pyramid Head randomly because of its popularity, or getting the fucking villain wrong in a series about Dracula. We've already seen how off the rails Konami's other franchises got when they were just given to no-name developers because Konami has been losing interest in internally made games since even the previous generation.

How and why would Metal Gear be any different?

Guymelef

I'll believe it when I see it. The fact that they wouldn't even let Kojima finish MGSV doesn't give me too much confidence. As well as the fact that they have absolutely no games for core gamers in development right now.

Maybe if they had not spent time with stupid repetitive SIDE Ops MGS V would be a finished game.

Fractal

Banned
At this point, I think the only thing I'd be interested in from Konami would be the remastered MGS 1-4 collection in a neat single package on the PC (and current gen consoles).

Well I hope he's saying the truth. I want more Metal Gear in the vein of MGSV. It's true the series doesn't need Kojima anymore since he has finished telling his story. And I am certainly interested in seeing a Metal Gear with a team behind it. As long as they build the game on the accomplishments of MGSV.

Mesoian

Don't you believe it.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I am all for trying out a Kojima-less Metal Gear.

The worst that can happen is that its a bad game like Twin Snakes.

Oneself

They didn't forget core gamers, they'll probably try to milk Castlevania, Contra and Metal Gear on mobile. Every core gamer has a mobile phone, right? Guys??

wrowa

I'm sorry, but I don't trust that a Community Manager really knows what actually happens inside of the company.

mcz117chief

Well considering my favourite Metal Gear games are Rising and Portable Ops I can somewhat agree. We don't need Kojima any more. It is like with Star Wars, George Lucas gave us episode IV then two other directors did episode V and VI which are both excellent and then the series took a nose dive when Lucas went back to directing the movies. So, Kojima gave us Metal Gear and now is the time for others to continue where he left off.

Top Bottom