• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami Interview: Committed to Core Gamers, MGS doesn’t need Kojima

You know, now that they have great engine to work on, I'm pretty sure MGS won't end up like SH or Castlevania.

Who am I kidding, they're still going to find a way to fuck things up.

Nibel

Well, I think that MGS is Kojima and his team, but then again: why should I get mad when this is just some random Konami community manager? What else is he supposed to say?

At least he kinda stealth confirmed that Kojima is leaving them

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Funny that the community manager mentions MGR when talking about a Metal Gear without Kojima.

Looks like he doesn't know that Kojima and Kojima Productions was a huge part in Rising's development. The whole Zan-Datsu concept and character design came from Koji Pro.

What a misleading title? He never said MGS does not need Kojima.

You asked him whether MGS can continue without Kojima, he stated it can continue.

Really OP, change the title.

Exactly. This is pure clickbait (and I loathe that term) where you've twisted what was said, or what wasn't just for a juicy headline. Referencing that MG Rising was made by another team isn't "We don't need Kojima".

Disappointed.

4a7K9wT.gif

Also by "core gamers" they mean the place they make the most of their money, mobile and gambling. Where's the Silent Hills then. :(

Septic360

Banned
Exactly. This is pure clickbait (and I loathe that term) where you've twisted what was said, or what wasn't just for a juicy headline. Referencing that MG Rising was made by another team isn't "We don't need Kojima".

Disappointed.

Suggest what you want me to change the title to and I'll do it. I don't want to piss people off if they think I'm off the mark.

What do you want the title to be changed to? Just to let you know, I do think he really stated it pretty concisely that Konami don't NEED him.

Spaghetti

i've been fine with the idea of a metal gear game without kojima directing. three of my favourite metal gear games are rising, ac!d 2, and ghost babel, but not like this.

but as everybody else has said, if konami still wanted a stake in core gaming, they're certainly not showing it.

NotLiquid

I could play devil's advocate and say that, to be fair, the only Metal Gear Solid game with Big Boss as protagonist after MGS3 that ended up feeling necessary in any way is the one he didn't direct and only had minimal writing credit for.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Kojima has built the foundation for them just like Mikami built the foundation for future Resi games.
I can see them easily ripping off MGSV for years to come.

Salaadin

I'm fine with a Kojimaless mgs game but I'm just not sure I can support konami anymore.
More power to them. Hopefully they find success. Not for konami but for the people that work for them.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
You know, I'm beginning to think that Konami brass believes it can turn "core" gamers into whalish "mobile" gamers. Sending out PR to try and appease traditional Konami fans while making it quite clear that gambling/health clubs/mobile is the future. All while killing console type games.

It's a ballsy risk in the short term, but gamers have shown time and time again to forgive publishers.

Next couple of years will be interesting for sure.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Does anyone really think that a critically regarded, multi-million selling franchise like Metal Gear is just going to end because Kojima is no longer in charge?

C'mon. Business doesn't work like that!

muteki

I'd be interested to see what a Kojima-less MGS would be like tbqh. Honestly many of the major complaints in V are in areas he works in the most, so it might be nice to see a fresh take.

Really though, I don't see Konami doing it for several years, if ever.

ackl

I'm sorry, but I don't trust that a Community Manager really knows what actually happens inside of the company.

He used MGR as an example of a game made by a "different team (in konami)" when in fact Platinum games had to take over the core gameplay development......and Kojima was the one suggested this as he saw the incompetence of the "new faces" in konami.

poodaddy

People are too blind about that and only care to complain about the story to see that only Kojima and his team care about such details that never fully matter in the grand scheme of things. I'd love to be proven wrong but I have yet to play a game that has as much detail as an MGS game and that goes for all MGS's.

Got it. Every MGS is made special by how unique the entire package is, not just the story. People hating on MGSV aren't realizing that the gameplay and story have always worked hand in hand in these games in both a compensatory and cooperative fashion, and one has always made accommodations for the other where necessary, and regardless of how one feels about the story one cannot deny the unrivaled stealth mechanics of MGSV, both Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain. I dropped around 40 to 50 hours into Ground Zeroes alone, simply because the game is that fun to pick up and play. On topic, I just wish they'd hire Kojima back to give me my dream MGS game in which you play as The Boss during the events in WW2 in which she apparently won that war for the U.S according to Major Zero......come on man. I've been dreaming for years!

If this is accurate, I'm okay with it.

If the game(s) are terrible, I won't buy them or will get them at a bargain price. If they are fantastic, then I will buy them at full price. While I don't like how the Kojima/Konami split went down, I do think Phantom Pain was the perfect last Kojima-directed MGS, as he got to realize his gameplay vision.

News Bot

Banned
AC!D 2, Rising, Portable Ops and Ghost Babel are some of my favorite entries in the series and Kojima wasn't involved. He's absolutely not necessary and the series will benefit without him, considering MGS4, Peace Walker and V are pretty shit, core gameplay in the latter two aside.

Just get Fukushima and Murata in charge of the story. Might need a new director but as long as they're competent there would be no issue.

I don't believe it for a second. A community manager just isn't going to know what's going on in Japan, just what they want him to know. Still, I wouldn't necessarily be against a Kojima-less Metal Gear.

Cast-Iron

Banned
I´m okay with that as long as they (Platinum) make another Rising. To me, MGS series ended with the third episode.

Ok, the fourth also counts to me.

Dyno

Konami put out the PS3 version of their soccer game out for PC. They put the PS4 / Xbox One pics on the box but old gen on the disc.

That's how they care about 'core' gamers.

You know all those complains about MGSV not 'feeling' like an MGS game? What do you think is going to happen once Konami hands it over to some western developer?

Hell, MGR was a fantastic game and that didn't stop the complains about "Not feeling like a Metal Gear game".

Dremark

Banned
Who you guys kidding when you say fuck Konami? You're going to buy the next MGS and most likely say it's amazing.

Unless something drastic changes from now and when the next game comes out and the game is done by Kojima and/or his team I'm not playing it.

Feel free to quote me on this later to call me out on it, but I absolutely assure you I'll keep my word on this.

Also, apparently the whole mobile market aspiration over core gamers (sorry to keep using the term) is a result of complete media misinformation and he later said it was because of the Japanese culture and messages lost in translation.
Right. They don't have any other AAA titles besides PES so it hard to believe them appealing to the core gamers.

He mentions how well Metal Gear Rising did. Kojima was involved with development along with Platinum Games.
What do you expect him to say lol? He's just doing his job, but Kojima leaving will have a definite impact on MGS 6, if it ever sees the light of day.

Funny thing enough, I don't really need you Konami.

stryke

Metal Gear seems like one of the few large franchises that most of its fanbase would actually care who made the game.

Definition of Core Gamers

For everyone it means:
Playstation, PC, Nintendo, and Xbox gamers.

For Konami it means:
Pachinko and Mobile players.

Septic360

Banned
Good interview OP. You seemed pretty nervous at first but you eased into it soon enough. Thanks for sharing man.

Ah cheers for the nice words mate. Means a lot.

Yeah it's odd. You're thrown in the deep end thinking of so many things like what will my next question be, what's relevant all the while listening to his responses.

My adhd doesn't help. You'll notice me looking away at something constantly later on in the video. I was looking at some kid playing Uncharted 2 and doing terribly and one part of my brain wanted to grab the controller off him lol.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
If it's due to translation issues where are all the Konami console announcements? Hiding in the same basement they had IGA locked in for all those years?

x2.

And where's my Chapter 3-5 Phantom Pain content, Konami?

Maybe Castlevania too. Oh, wait, they are all waiting for Bloodstained instead.

...Which is what he said: MGS without Kojima = no one cares. MGS with Kojima = people care.

Castlevania with IGA = people care. Castlevania without IGA = no one cares.

Castlevania in all but name under IGA = Kickstarted. "Something that isn't MGS but made by me, Kojima!" = Kickstarer?

Pez

All the gaf hate in here is crazy. This game took 7 years to make and STILL came out incomplete.

I don't blame Konami for packing it up after this one. $10 million dollars a year could have gone in so many other pots and yielded a lot more content from the company.

Astarte

I don't get this intense mgsv hate. It was a pretty fantastic game that falls short in terms of story but I've had a great time with the gameplay elements and such.
Yeah Yeah subjectivity.

Top Bottom