• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami Interview: Committed to Core Gamers, MGS doesn’t need Kojima

As a fan of MG since the NES era titles, MGS5 is the most gameplay-complete title of the franchise. They FINALLY got rid of the legacy of psx-era controls; and the game play is incredibly satisfying. The previous MGS games always had serious issues when it came to certain game play elements but they were overshadowed by the production values of the storytelling. MGS5 reminds me of the nes era MG where the story took a minimalist spot in the game while it was all about pure game play.

I have still not completed the game, I'm about 40 hours in, and I actually that the story elements of MGS5 are almost detrimental to the game. It is obvious that Kojima is completely creatively spent here and has no idea where to take the game next. I love the some of the more realistic themes being discussed in this game, and I hope that future titles will touch more on those real life issues like civilian massacres, child soldiers, mercs, conflicts in Africa. Kojima had a great sense of cinematics, but his tendencies to inject "anime-drama" into everything was getting old.

I welcome a franchise turn into a more "Splinter Cell" style of minimalist story telling for this franchise.

Markoman

Mozart did finish most of the vocal of the sequence, including Confutatis. The violin and bass part are his.

Anyway, I mostly prefer the Lacrymosa (he only did the first 8 bars), and the Introitus (He finished it entirely).

---------------------------
On the subject, I don't really care about what Konami is saying about right now, let's wait until we have something solid, if that happens.

Thx, total fail on my behalf :D

Let's try it again. Even though Syd Barret left Pink Floyd for LSD-Land, they were very successful when David Gilmoure replaced him on guitar/vocals.

*shrugs* please don't backlash again.....

Stealth50

I'm happy to hear that they'll continue making Metal Gear games even with Kojima gone. Even if Kojima surely was a big part of the series success, I'd like to believe that much of the talent from previous titles remains and gives the series a respectable future. Further it will also be perhaps even more interesting to see what Kojima can come up with now that he's free from the shackles of Metal Gear.

maltrain

As a MGS fan from day one, I can say one thing for sure:

I WILL NEVER BUY A METAL GEAR GAME AGAIN

Is that simple. At least, of course, Hideo Kojima is in charge again.

In fact, I'm pretty sure PES2016 is the last Konami game I'll ever buy.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think the issue is less that Kojima is leaving and more that he's likely to take an astronomical amount of KojiPro staff with him if anyone is willing to hire him to make AAA/AAAA games.

Asd202

I think the issue is less that Kojima is leaving and more that he's likely to take an astronomical amount of KojiPro staff with him if anyone is willing to hire him to make AAA/AAAA games.

That and I imagine the next MGS will have much smaller budget.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
That and I imagine the next MGS will have much smaller budget.

I don't think that is as much of an issue given they already have the assets and technology to work with.

Even if you cut the budget in half, you have quite a reasonable pile of money ($40+ million) to work with for an established base product.

Bl@de

After that horrible MGS5, i really want to see a MGS without Kojima

What happened? Weeks ago people were singing praise. Now everything is shit? I see many disappointed people in the last days.

Please don't spoil anything. I'm still playing MGS4.

Klossen

Banned
I don't think that is as much of an issue given they already have the assets and technology to work with.

Even if you cut the budget in half, you have quite a reasonable pile of money ($40+ million) to work with for an established base product.
Not to mention them (hopefully) cutting the last-gen consoles from the equation reducing the workload and limitations of design.

What happened? Weeks ago people were singing praise. Now everything is shit? I see many disappointed people in the last days.

Ending is very
polarizing
and many aren't satisfied with how the story is presented and concluded.

farisr

Honestly, the most I expect to come out of Konami if they do make a core MGS title is an MGS game in name only. Or they may play it safe and just do remakes. Those probably have a better chance of selling to the existing fanbase than a new MGS without Kojima.

GavinGT

Banned
To be fair, Kojima did just basically create a framework that can be iterated on for the foreseeable future. It doesn't require a creative genius to make incremental improvements on what's already there in MGSV.

Victarion

In no way did V turn the series 'to shit'

Let's see...

- Unfinished plot lines and cut contents: check
- Dumb plot twist: check
- Lack of cohesive story telling: check
- Filler and repetitive missions: check
- Grinding: check
- Lack of engaging and interesting boss fights: check
- Chapter 2 being utter shite: check

artsi

I hope Kojima takes Shinkawa wherever he goes next. It would be a loss for Konami but I don't care about the future of MGS that much, I'd rather see him working on some new dope stuff.

Or whatever Kojima does, I hope Shinkawa changes companies anyway. It would be cool to see him working on an RPG.

farisr

People finally getting around to finishing the game. I know I'm not done yet, but a lot of people who finished the game were telling others not to make story judgements until the game is complete.

The gameplay though is still getting lots of praise.

Isn't this exactly the sort of thing a community manager would say? "No no no, everything's fine, don't worry about it."

Let's keep the MGSV stuff out of here, though.

ZhugeEX

Banned
What a misleading title? He never said MGS does not need Kojima.

You asked him whether MGS can continue without Kojima, he stated it can continue.

Really OP, change the title.

Yup, clickbait and self promotion. The guy is a community manager after all.

Plus the guy can't interview at all

That being said, apart form a few core console franchises Konami don't need to focus on console too much when they'll do fine focusing on other areas of their business.

Boke1879

Let's see...

- Unfinished plot lines and cut contents: check
- Lack of cohesive story telling: check
- Filler and repetitive missions: check
- Grinding: check
- Lack of engaging and interesting boss fights: check
- Chapter 2 being utter shite: check

The lack of pacing and chapters 2's structure is horrible. The story wasn't back and the ending wasn't bad either.

After MGS4, and PW I wasn't expecting great boss fights. Aside from the pacing in chapter 2 everything is fine. Most fun I've had with a game this year easily.

People blame Kojima but it was KOnami that was perfectly ok with sending out a game with such holes in parts of the story.

If you can trust Konami after how they've treated their employees in the past and how they've treated their IPs since then. Then more power to you.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member

Seems normal nowadays to be honest. Probably since it's so easy to get a large variety of opinions together.

I've not seen a single highly acclaimed game and hugely successful game that sustained the positive vibe around it. There's always a wave of "this wasn't as good as everyone said".
Was the same thing with Bioshock Infinite, with Last of Us, etc etc.

LeleSocho

Banned
clickbait, self promotion and useless
Despite this "please keep supporting us" interview everyone and their dogs know Konami's focus.

Onaco

So you're confirming you're outsourcing to Platinum Games, yes? I feel like they're the only developers allowed to touch the series now, but they seem to be busy with 80 other games, according to E3.

Boke1879

The only way to earn trust is to make a AAA MGS game thats better than any of the sequels.

I just have no faith. If anything Konami will most likely outsource it. I don't have faith in them to have any of the charm or easter eggs in the gameplay

knerl

As a MGS fan since MGS1, I wholeheartedly agree with the notion that the franchise doesn't need Kojima. In fact, I welcome a game without him after the last few main line entries.

With that being said, I'm confident that Konami is going to fuck up the next game.

lmao @ committed to core gamers though

For some of the MGS magic I do believe he is needed. He can manage the whole picture like few can. Replace him with a better writer though and make a new story with some of the best characters in the series that doesn't necessarily have to conform to the main plot and most of the charm could be replicated and improved upon. It might end up missing something, but they have Fox Engine which is absolutely amazing. If the Koji pro team was allowed to work on future titles while utilizing that they could probably keep the franchise going and make something spectacular. They have fantastic mechanics now thanks to MGSV. Add and remove certain elements to that, hire a good writer and wonders are bound to happen.

I'd love a remake of MGS3 as an open world game. The region is perfect for it. Blend the mechanics from it and the ones found in V and voila.

Lol, he has no idea.

Why do we keep getting these reports of "konami is not abandoning core games" and then "the future is mobile only" then "mgs can continue without kojima" then "konami abandons console development"

Just let it die already!

Spaghetti

if this is the yard stick we're measuring mgsv by in comparison to the rest of the series, well...

a lot of your other points are subjective too. i never grinded once in my first playthrough, the missions never felt repetitive because i approached them differently and adapted to the changing situation. if you're talking about mission objectives being repetitive, when you define repetitiveness by those boundaries, you'll find a lot of games are repetitive.

mission 51 being cut, chapter 2 feeling rushed, and uneven story telling are fair game though.

anybody who is excited for a non-kojima mgs but under these circumstances where a lot of people who make metal gear what it is will not even involved at all, look at silent hill.

the decimation of the original creatives behind silent hill and putting the series beyond their reach was very damaging. even worse, konami seemed under the impression any old development studio can put out a game of the same quality of the originals. they treated it entirely as a product, and didn't take any consideration for the creative endeavors involved. as a result we got derivative, un-innovative, messes. the sole exception of which being shattered memories.

knerl

After that horrible MGS5, i really want to see a MGS without Kojima

Stop saying it's horrible. It's the definition of a fantastic game. Gameplay wise it's king. Except for having you do far too many filler missions. If you hate the story that's a completely different matter. Focus in V is on the gameplay and not the story. Thus it should be judged more by it's gameplay than by it's story (or it's poor execution of it.)

Markoman

For some of the MGS magic I do believe he is needed. He can manage the whole picture like few can. Replace him with a better writer though and make a new story with some of the best characters in the series that doesn't necessarily have to conform to the main plot and most of the charm could be replicated and improved upon. It might end up missing something, but they have Fox Engine which is absolutely amazing. If the Koji pro team was allowed to work on future titles while utilizing that they could probably keep the franchise going and make something spectacular. They have fantastic mechanics now thanks to MGSV. Add and remove certain elements to that, hire a good writer and wonders are bound to happen.

I'd love a remake of MGS3 as an open world game. The region is perfect for it. Blend the mechanics from it and the ones found in V and voila.

Like I said in another thread, to some extend it worked with MGR. Senator Armstrong was one of the most interesting characters in the whole series. But, I suggest that the franchise needs to stay in the hands of Japanese developers or most of the charm/magic will be lost.

Betty

Banned
MGS doesn't need Kojima like Terminator didn't need Cameron.

I'm still hopeful that they won't even get another game off the ground and stick to pachinko and mobile.

And put me on the side that considers MGSV phenomenal.

Suggest what you want me to change the title to and I'll do it. I don't want to piss people off if they think I'm off the mark.

What do you want the title to be changed to? Just to let you know, I do think he really stated it pretty concisely that Konami don't NEED him.

“Can the MG franchise continue without Kojima? It's his baby.”

“Of course it can.”

That is ​very different than saying “MGS doesn’t need Kojima".

Konami community manager suggests that Metal Gear franchise may continue without Hideo Kojima

What is so hard about that one?

Top Bottom