• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami Interview: Committed to Core Gamers, MGS doesn’t need Kojima

After playing MGSV I can say it's not so much that Metal Gear doesn't need Kojima. It's more like "someone, anybody, please take Metal Gear away from Kojima, he's George Lucas-ing the whole thing up."

knerl

if this is the yard stick we're measuring mgsv by in comparison to the rest of the series, well...

a lot of your other points are subjective too. i never grinded once in my first playthrough, the missions never felt repetitive because i approached them differently and adapted to the changing situation. if you're talking about mission objectives being repetitive, when you define repetitiveness by those boundaries, you'll find a lot of games are repetitive.

mission 51 being cut, chapter 2 feeling rushed, and uneven story telling are fair game though.

This! It's really down to how you play. If it feels repetitive you're playing repetitively. Try playing differently and it becomes something completely else. I guess what's missing is the lack of features forcing you to overcome obstacles in certain ways. If they mixed something like that in it would probably be even more varied.

soultron

Banned
In terms of PR, it's in Konami's best interest to act like they're (still) interested in console consumers because they still want to sell MGS5 to the hardcore that doesn't yet own it. Grassroots goodwill marketing is probably part of this plan.

I'll believe Konami when I see them putting effort into console releases outside of PES.

knerl

Like I said in another thread, to some extend it worked with MGR. Senator Armstrong was one of the most interesting characters in the whole series. But, I suggest that the franchise needs to stay in the hands of Japanese developers or most of the charm/magic will be lost.

The new MGO is handled by westerners though right?
If that turns out to be good while keeping the magic intact then I guess it just takes big fans as developers to keep it going. But yeah. Kojima Productions. Are they still around at konami?

muteki

What happened? Weeks ago people were singing praise. Now everything is shit? I see many disappointed people in the last days.

Please don't spoil anything. I'm still playing MGS4.

It is a game you can spend 100 hours + completing. It takes considerable time to take it all in. I think it is completely understandable for this game it particular for people to reassess what they were thinking after completing it.

Personally I don't see much of the acclaim it received initially still holding up late in the game. And honestly, playing though the game in a rushed way probably improves the impression quite a bit.

Aces&Eights

I don't think that is as much of an issue given they already have the assets and technology to work with.

Even if you cut the budget in half, you have quite a reasonable pile of money ($40+ million) to work with for an established base product.

Some of the large AAA Publishers spend that in advertising alone I'd wager.

I think the bottom line is do we trust Konami to take the engine, assets and characters and build on them like fans would expect? Or, are they going to pump out cheap copycats with no innovation? Time will tell.

oimori

If the story was terrible, that is Kojima's fault because he is the director.
If the gameplay was great, that is Kojima's achievements because he is the director.
All I want to say is, Kojima isn't just a scenario writer, but a game director.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Some of the large AAA Publishers spend that in advertising alone I'd wager.

I think the bottom line is do we trust Konami to take the engine, assets and characters and build on them like fans would expect? Or, ate they going to pump out cheap copycats with no innovation? Time will tell.

Sure, but advertising is something you spend on a run rate relative to what you expect to sell at the time the game is done. Development budget is much less tied to that.

As it stands I'm not actually expecting them to release anything since I'm not convinced they're going to have the staff left to actually release something.

It's just that if they did, I could see either cheap follow-ups with existing assets a la something like Revelations 2 or a reserved sequel.

daveo42

Banned
I don't think Konami will drop MGS, though they may struggle to make something in the same vein as other MGS titles. If anything, I see them remaking MG1 and 2 as a starting point if they ever go back to making actual new MGS games.

Konami doesn't need Kojima, but they definitely need someone with his vision to continue creating new MGS games. It just has to be someone that is also fine with working within Konami and whatever limitations they put in place to avoid a ballooning budget.

Markoman

I still think they should handle MGSV like Destiny.
Release new maps, episodes, features that work with the base game.

You can't mess that up....
and like some of you stated above, it will cut development costs drastically.

soultron

Banned
Sure, but advertising is something you spend on a run rate relative to what you expect to sell at the time the game is done. Development budget is much less tied to that.

As it stands I'm not actually expecting them to release anything since I'm not convinced they're going to have the staff left to actually release something.

It's just that if they did, I could see either cheap follow-ups with existing assets a la something like Revelations 2 or a reserved sequel.

I wonder if Konami will start co-opting the publishing model wherein they essentially contract Western devs and entrust them with IPs for console releases the way Capcom does/did. Stricter budgets and timelines to make sure a MGS5 scenario never happens again. Annualized releases if possible.

They already technically did this with the last few Silent Hill games, IIRC.

Garlador

Taking Hideo Kojima out of Metal Gear?

You can't really do that. They're...
PDVD_273.jpg

Then again, these are the same people who once felt that it was totally okay to just redo the entire voice cast of Silent Hill 2, as if slapping Troy Baker in every game automatically makes it better.

Reading this thread people seem to now want Kojima permanently gone from handling MGS.

Well, before careful what you wish for lads. Please believe the next MGS game will have microtransactions coming out the wazoo, in addition to the game being far less ambitious than any of Kojima's previous work and less care put into it.

It'll be nothing but a quick simple cash grab that takes advantage of gullible franchise fans.
I thought shit like Castelvania would serve as enough of a warning but guess not.

BadAss2961

I'm definitely up for a non-Kojima MGS after MGSV.
I'm not.

No Kojima, no MGS. Konami will likely extend the series and fuck it up from here, but I wish this could be it.

84SpKAH.gif

liquidtmd

Banned
Considering MGR is secretly the best Metal Gear game since 3, I'd be okay with this.

The funny thing is Konami has the potential to bring in a new, hungry team of focused devs wanting to make a mark for themselves. Give them a budget and timeframe. Give them the Fox Engine and hell, give them a focus. One base, one mission. No open world, no years of building the engine, no Keifer, no big names. A lean, mean remake of MG1 with a new pair of eyes.

They could...but they won't.

li bur

Didn't Graham have an account here? I'll be very curious with what he has to say about this.

Anyway PR are going to do PR stuff and it's what he do for living. I don't believe him but certainly I can't fault him either with that kind of comment.

DeaviL

Banned
Probably saw the cash from MGSV rolling in and immediately went:
"Eeeeh, maybe leaving the whole core gamer thing behind can wait."

Markoman

Reading this thread people seem to now want Kojima permanently gone from handling MGS.

Well, before careful what you wish for lads. Please believe the next MGS game will have microtransactions coming out the wazoo, in addition to the game being far less ambitious than any of Kojima's previous work and less care out into it.

It'll be nothing but a quick simple cash grab that takes advantage of gullible franchise fans.
I thought shit like Castelvania would serve as enough of a warning but guess not.

Lords of the Shadow 1 was reviewed pretty well. And Castlevania was never an established 3D series. The attempt to turn it from 2D to 3D failed already on the N64.

We NEED more MGSV, because we NEED third person steath games.
Tenchu....gone
Splinter Cell.....gone
Metal Gear Solid....gone?

Foffy

Banned
Lords of the Shadow 1 was reviewed pretty well. And Castlevania was never an established 3D series. The attempt to turn it from 2D to 3D failed already on the N64.

We NEED more MGSV, because we NEED third person steath games.
Tenchu....gone
Splinter Cell.....gone
Metal Gear Solid....gone?

Tenchu got fucked because of developers.

Acquire, the developer who made the series, is now owned by a mobile company.
K2, a developer who worked on mainline titles that didn't work on Acquire's games, is now owned by Capcom.
FromSoft has never made a legitimate Tenchu, save for that party game. They have no experience with the roots of this IP.

Uggggh...sounds so terrible.

Fun fact: Bloodstained was almost like this, if a major publisher bought in before they went crowdfunding. It was originally to be a globetrotting game with areas being added as DLC in just the toxic way your post described.

Spaghetti

Well, before careful what you wish for lads. Please believe the next MGS game will have microtransactions coming out the wazoo, in addition to the game being far less ambitious than any of Kojima's previous work and less care out into it.

it's going to be far darker than just microtransactions i'm afraid.

kojima out of the director's chair is fine, but a lack of guiding hands from a production standpoint is outright scary. kojima stepped in to direct 3 when the team weren't progressing well. similarly he placed rising in the hands of platinum when kojipro's version wasn't materialising. kojipro seemed to have a problem with project-leading talent dating back as far as the ps2 days. even if konami staff up as they seem to intend to and get someone willing to take on metal gear post-kojima, a lot of senior staff who've been making the series for years won't be available for advice, guidance, and a helping hand in making the game come to fruition.

kojima, shinkawa, and imaizumi among others won't be there after the end of this year. even from a technical standpoint, julien merceron has already left and konami will need to fill the void with someone to continue to develop the fox engine for future games.

at some point you have to wonder if konami will find it worth their while to hire staff to create the game in-house. it could just be farmed off like plenty of throwaway silent hill games were, and castlevania. either way it's a very bumpy road, and there's very little to be optimistic about.

DJwest

We were so close to the glorious remake of Metal Gear 1 and 2 guys. Solid Snake vs Big Boss using the Fox engine. I won't forgive you Konami.

BadAss2961

As I play it, i've kept myself in the dark regarding MGSV impressions. Considering the massive amount of content, i'm a little surprised (just a little) at the mixed response i'm seeing here.

MGS4 had too much story and no gameplay. Now MGSV has too much gameplay and no story... lol

I've been taking my time with V in an attempt to 100% it. I think the game is incredible.

Foffy

Banned
As I play it, i've kept myself in the dark regarding MGSV impressions. Considering the massive amount of content, i'm a little surprised (just a little) at the mixed response i'm seeing here.

MGS4 had too much story and no gameplay. Now MGSV has too much gameplay and no story... lol

I've been taking my time with V in an attempt to 100% it. I think the game is incredible.

You'll see what divided people soon enough.

Acosta

No offense, but an interview with a Community Manager talking about the future of a company has the same value to me than a interview with the security guard of the Konami building.

Their TGS stand was tragic and there is zero sign of Konami interested in core gaming aside of PES. So I'll believe when I see.

(Also, I don't want to see a Metal Gear without Kojima, that would be a travesty).

If only Konami's acts didn't completely contradict this interview. You can say you're committed to core gamers all day long, but none of it's true if you're not working on developing games for core gamers.

Septic360

Banned
Changed the title. Kojima isn't needed for MGS is what I got from it but apparently it's clickbait according to some so I've changed it.

ezekial45

Banned
I wonder if Konami will start co-opting the publishing model wherein they essentially contract Western devs and entrust them with IPs for console releases the way Capcom does/did. Stricter budgets and timelines to make sure a MGS5 scenario never happens again. Annualized releases if possible.

They already technically did this with the last few Silent Hill games, IIRC.

I'm sure they'll get the L.A. studio do take up work on this series if they decide to continue. They invested a lot in establishing it, and so far they've done a pretty neat job with MGO, so I can see them being more involved in the creation of core MGS games in the future.

omonimo

Banned
Core gamers? They haven't said no more AAA games? Jeez the amount of bullshits who said this man it's incredible.
I doubt it's something lost in translation.

What happened? Weeks ago people were singing praise. Now everything is shit? I see many disappointed people in the last days.

Please don't spoil anything. I'm still playing MGS4.
Honeymoon phase. Same happened to MGS4, but it took longer for people to be objective for MGS4.

Aside: 11 seconds dedicated to your logo is far too long.

"Nothing has changed" regarding their console strategy.

Confirmed: Another two years may come out next year, one of which will be PES.

Bodom78

Thing is, I reckon if the next MGS does not blow away the current release it will probably be said it's because Kojima was not involved.

Konami has a big battle ahead of them if they want to continue the Metal Gear brand and not have it become like Silent Hill.

I have little faith in them at this point.

soultron

Banned
I'm sure they'll get the L.A. studio do take up work on this series if they decide to continue. They invested a lot in establishing it, and so far they've done a pretty neat job with MGO, so I can see them being more involved in the creation of core MGS games in the future.

Eh, I know people who've already departed. Not really too optimistic about future of that studio or even MGO.

Everyone there who stuck with the game until its release did a fantastic job. The PC port -- if it was even handled by KPLA -- is particularly great.

Anth0ny

how about you get your feet wet by bringing back hayter and remaking MG1 and 2 in the fox engine

then worry about MGS6.

omonimo

Banned
Honeymoon phase. Same happened to MGS4, but it took longer for people to be objective for MGS4.
Game it's definitely rushed misleading a lot of people with the repeated missions nonsense (I'm spoiled the real ending for this shit) But gameplay wise it's the better MGS ever.

Shauni

Kojima has tried to leave the franchise before, specifically at the end of MGS2, but had to be called back when it became clear that the team wasn't getting it and had to have him as director and lead. There's also Rising's development, which basically had to be saved by another developer and restructured into a very different game to finally work and see release.

KojiPro is (technically was now, I guess) a group of very talented people, no doubt, but I have a lot of doubts they would be able to really bring together a new MGS without a clear guiding direction based on those past issues. Yeah, yeah, blah blah about the story and all, but the design and gameplay of MGSV is top notch and (mostly) loved from what I can tell.

Unless we're talking about giving MGS over to another developer entirely. I don't know, that's just a coin flip either way I suppose

The story was terrible for two large reasons.

- The change in scope of the game from a linear, focused game to an open world, organic game. Metal Gear's traditional storytelling would have to change, and it did, but it changed for the worse.
- The game clearly went through some development bugbears considering the second half of the game
focuses on copypaste missions
. You could imagine ideals were broken for more practical "just let us try to get something done" sort of feeling you can almost totally taste in the second half of the game.

I can only see a future game where it gets outsourced to a western company who somehow gets basic fucking ideas wrong, like introducing Pyramid Head randomly because of its popularity, or getting the fucking villain wrong in a series about Dracula. We've already seen how off the rails Konami's other franchises got when they were just given to no-name developers because Konami has been losing interest in internally made games since even the previous generation.

How and why would Metal Gear be any different?

The problem with MGSV story wasnt the way it was told. Its what was told. What Kojima wrote was stupid and bad.

Top Bottom