• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NSFW :You should dust off and keep your gaming system clean ( kotaku article)

Is NFSW Not Safe for Women?

Aww Googled it. Not safe for work, like sex stuff.

I found a surprising amount of info on Need for speed world as world as well.

Wait do people actually get bugs in their consoles?

Yeah, many insects love to get into electronics because it's warm and relatively protected. I picked up a PS2 slim from a thrift store for $10. It works great but I had to clean a bunch of dead roaches out of it first.

ALWAYS thoroughly clean any 2nd hand consoles or arcade cabs you find before you bring them in the house. Otherwise you may be bringing a bunch of roaches in too.

Once a month I take a vacuum to my consoles.

Plus I get some weird enjoyment in opening my pc, blasting dust everywhere with an air can, and irritating my wife lol.

BouncyFrag

GOAT
147ca8a9d63956ac96c4eb81374982f3.jpg

RMI

Banned
ok , now i am scared
i want to clean the dust from my PS3 slim , but i am afraid ti break it if i open it

it's quite easy to open a PS3, just do it you won't break it.

FWIW I opened mine up a few years ago to replace a busted bluray laser and it was pretty clean in there (it was about 2 years old at that point). If you clean your house regularly, dust, etc, you probably won't have dust build up like this in the console.

SURGEdude

The biggest issue with smoking is that it's a multiplier of all the dust and pet hair because it rapidly puts a thin pretty imperceptible layer of tar on everything. Tar is sticky and the result is especially damaging to enclosed electronics that are no longer able to vent most particles through their fans or just ambient air movement. The fact that more tar continues to be applied on the dust already collected by earlier layers leads to the kind of buildup that would otherwise be nearly impossible to naturally occur.

Maybe for you. I try to wipe off my consoles once a week. I have a 1 year old, high energy pup that just chills in the room with my consoles usually so even the day after dusting I notice the entertainment center has dust on it.

No, I've meant full teardown with cleaning fans and radiators, using compressed air etc. Wiping the exterior of the case is essential and I usually do it whenever I notice the dust - and thanks to my consoles being black and glossy and standing on a black glass shelf, it's pretty often.

IvorB

Isn't dust build up inside your console pretty much unavoidable ? It's not exactly easy removing the outer shell you know.. Even voids your warranty.

You can use a vacuum cleaner and vacuum at the vents. This is what I with my electronics.

Az987

all good things
No, I've meant full teardown with cleaning fans and radiators, using compressed air etc. Wiping the exterior of the case is essential and I usually do it whenever I notice the dust - and thanks to my consoles being black and glossy and standing on a black glass shelf, it's pretty often.

Oh okay. I thought you just meant dusting period.

Fupri

Banned
Mine has never looked like that.. That looks like somebody hoovered their house & tipped the dust inside the PS3.

ValeYard

I don't know about NSFW, but this thread should've come with a trigger warning. How many of us have starting cleaning their consoles and googling air blowers and such?

I normally have my consoles in a cabinet of which I open the door when I use them. However, as the ps4 needs quite a bit of room, I leave it out and blow the dust off with a little dust blower everyday. Still, with a cat, there will be dust build up over time. The regular acid baths take care of my skin shedding though.

Mithos

I don't really feel comfortable picking apart my consoles to clean them, they feel "different" afterwards (it in my head thing).

I try to vacuum the vents now and then though.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Fuck, I had this image up on my laptop screen as my boss walked in, and he FUCKING FIRED ME! Turns out my company has a strict "no images of dusty electronics" policy. Fuck.

Seems like the kind of dust build up you should expect from an electrical device with vents that doesn't get cleaned for 8+ years.

It looks extreme.

If you clean the outside of your consoles at least once a month and don't let any dust cling around the vents (this never happens to me) then this shouldn't happen.

I assume you mean opening it up and cleaning it hence the above. I could be wrong, though. But most people don't open their consoles up or know how. I'd be too afraid to.

Cynn

I'm kinda scared by posters saying "It's just dust." That shit is one drop of water away from being MUD. That's not normal.

Top Bottom