• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One really does take a long time to install games.

texore

Bullshit. You may have been able to start playing it in 30 seconds, but it sure as hell didn't install in that time. that's one of the things I just can't stand about my PS4, no option for a full install as a default, no I gotta put the disc in, let it do its thing, and check every 10 minutes to see if the game is fully installed yet. So annoying.
So it's annoying that there is no option for a full install and that you have to check every once in a while until it's fully installed?

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
from what i understand, you cant play XB1 games until they are finished fully installing+ patches. Playgo being exclusive to PS4 is what he's talking about

Nope, X1 has this feature as well. IIRC correctly you can play the campaigns in MCC while MP is downloading (20GB).

It took my friend literal days to install it all, took me two hours. My internet was being generous that day.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
So it's annoying that there is no option for a full install and that you have to check every once in a while until it's fully installed?
He needs the PARENT/SIGNIFICANT OTHER option to be flipped ON. That way someone will tell him to go do something more meaningful while the game downloads and updates.

RedRum

Banned
Also, while it is downloading, MCC will tell what what portion of the campaign has fully downloaded. So you can start playing whichever campaign is done while the rest still install. Nice feature.

5 hrs? 5 hrs!?! 5 !?!?
giphy.gif

well.... if you install a game from a disc with that size it shouldn't take that long (not as long as a full download), downloading the whole thing can take up to 4-5 hours depending on your internet speed.

MCC is a special case since even if you install it, the patches are thrown in making things longer

Yoday

I still have yet to experience an install on XB1 that took anywhere near as long as people describe. I recently installed a new external drive and installed a bu ch of games. On average I would say install times were around twenty minutes when including the patch download. If your installs are taking hours to finish then that isn't the system installing slowly, that is your connection to XBL downloading the patch incredibly slowly. I agree that MS needs to separate patches and base installs to avoid this confusion and get people with poorer connections into games faster.

barit

This happens when you design your console first as media player and second as gaming device. Xbone is Frankenstein's monster in this regard and no matter how many 180s you make as company this flaw will always hold it back. Just accept that Xbone is a not a very good gaming console but hey you can snap your live TV program while waiting for the installs to complete.

TBiddy

This happens when you design your console first as media player and second as gaming device. Xbone is Frankenstein's monster in this regard and no matter how many 180s you make as company this flaw will always hold it back. Just accept that Xbone is a not a very good gaming console but hey you can snap your live TV program while waiting for the installs to complete.

91fd1692f61dc246f35d92d64f056a8b.550x280x1.jpg

Hanmik

you are though... It just takes time to get to 100%, you still can play the campaigns already.

but how does a disc work on Xbox One..?

on PS4 I put in the disc, and after <30 seconds I can play the complete game. While I play it the full game is installed from the disc.

how does that work on Xbox One..?

mike4001_

The thing of the whole PS4 vs. X1 situation is that you can only copy same amount of data from the BR drive to the HDD.

There is no wizardry why the PS4 could do this faster.

The thing is just that the PS4 lets you start the game after only copying a small amount of data to the harddrive and then (I assume) reads necessary data directly from the BR-drive when you start the game and the data has not been copied to the HDD in the background.

This is actually not hard to understand that it is just not physically possible to copy a 40-50 GB BR in 60 seconds onto the hard drive.

it's a 62.7 GB game what he expect? of course something that big would take hours to finish

I'd say half an hour seems about right, but it isn't even a matter of installation, it's that XB1 when installing will also download and try to integrate all patches in at the same time, which is neat if you don't intend to start playing immediately, but otherwise is real bothersome.

Does not help that Halo MCC has quite a huge list of patches I imagine.

Shin-Ra

Bullshit. You may have been able to start playing it in 30 seconds, but it sure as hell didn't install in that time. that's one of the things I just can't stand about my PS4, no option for a full install as a default, no I gotta put the disc in, let it do its thing, and check every 10 minutes to see if the game is fully installed yet. So annoying.
System Software 4.00

• [PlayGo] When data copy from Blu-ray Disc is complete, a brass band will start playing.

c0de

on PS4 I put in the disc, and after <30 seconds I can play the complete game. While I play it the full game is installed from the disc.

As I read, it's the same but sometimes it takes way longer than on PS4. You don't need to copy all the files to play the game.

SPCTRE

Halo MCC is an extreme edge case, but yeah, disc installs + updating (which are all, stupidly, surfaced to the user as "installing") can take quite a bit of time.

Which is why I prefer buying stuff digitally while I'm out and about, so the process is completed when I get home and I can just go ahead and play.

autoduelist

What?

This 'option' you want is patently absurd.

Not only do you want to wait for a 'full install' before you play, you don't even want to have to check to see if it's done... which means you're effectively asking for an install option that -locks down- your ps4 with an installation message (56% complete, etc) that only goes away when it's complete so that you don't have to woe-is-me check to see it it's done.

How in the world is that option superior in any way, shape, or form to what you have now -- which is the ability to start playing extremely quickly while it installs completely in the background?

I don't even...

It's a valid concern regardless of platform, I just wish the option was there you know; what's wrong with options? I'm one of those guys who hates drive noise, so I am the type of person who wants to put the disc in, get shit done, and then play. Every single console I own does things right, does things wrong, and has quirks that could be improved quite simply, nothing wrong with talking about these.

How is this a valid concern? Leave the game in the system and don't start it until it's fully installed, there's you option right there.

I've put my Xbox One in offline mode and installed games before, still takes longer then a PS4 game, that's not even up for debate.

Guerrilla

The same on xb1, its just takes a bit longer than 30 secs (a few minutes usually). And of course non linear games are excluded from this, but that's for both i think. After 30 seconds not every stadium will be installed for fifa for example so you are limited in what you can play after the initial install

nib95

Banned

I'm so confused as to what the complaint is here lol. If you can play the game within 30 seconds, what does it matter what it's doing in the background, or how much of the full install has been done? As long as you get the full experience with no impact to your gameplay, as fast as possible, that's all that matters.

Aceofspades

Banned
What?

This 'option' you want is patently absurd.

Not only do you want to wait for a 'full install' before you play, you don't even want to have to check to see if it's done... which means you're effectively asking for an install option that -locks down- your ps4 with an installation message (56% complete, etc) that only goes away when it's complete so that you don't have to woe-is-me check to see it it's done.

How in the world is that option superior in any way, shape, or form to what you have now -- which is the ability to start playing extremely quickly while it installs completely in the background?

I don't even...

Crazy demands man, just a few days ago we had "I need to buy free PS+ games, Sony should give me the option to buy those free games while still subscribing to PS+"

Hanmik

The same on xb1, its just takes a bit longer than 30 secs (a few minutes usually). And of course non linear games are excluded from this, but that's for both i think. After 30 seconds not every stadium will be installed for fifa for example so you are limited in what you can play after the initial install

I have never had a PS4 game on disc not allow me to play a certain part of the game after the initial 30sec. install,,.? I thought it read info from the disc untill it is completely installed..?

Kotaku tested this stuff out when the consoles first came out. Assassins Creed Black Flag took almost 6 minutes to install the game to the point where it's ready to start compared to 42 seconds on the PS4 this was without installing the update. The updates do make the installs take longer, but the installs are long all on their lonesome.

nib95

Banned

I've never had any part of a game not be playable to me because a portion of the install wasn't yet complete. Pretty sure it just reads it off the disc instead, or installs the specific required portion during loading if needed.

Essentially, Microsoft just need to engineer something similar to the PS4's install system, which hopefully they can do with UI and OS updates. Pretty sure even the 360 fared better than the Xbox One in this regard.

Adam M

I don't have Xbox One yet but good thing to know what to expect. It's crazy but thanks to you now I know that so I can start that process early and meanwhile I go to the gym or do something else :D
Also, another reason why I won't pick an Xbox One bundle with big sized game, MS bundles are not that good because of the digital copy. And I don't have any crazy bandwidth, just 50mbps

I don't have Xbox One yet but good thing to know what to expect. It's crazy but thanks to you now I know that so I can start that process early and meanwhile I go to the gym or do something else :D
Also, another reason why I won't pick an Xbox One bundle with big sized game, MS bundles are not that good because of the digital copy. And I don't have any crazy bandwidth, just 50mbps

"Just" 50mbs. My 7mbs says hi.

IbukiLordSA

Yeah I thought it was really strange, when I bought my X1 I got Forza and Dead Rising 3 with it, the xbox wasn't connected and put in Dead Rising 3, I could only start playing after it installed and it took ages about 20-30 minutes before it finished.

However on PS3 even with games the same size or bigger than Dead Rising 3 I can play them within seconds. Recently put in God of War 3 Remastered which according to the storage space is 40gb, I was able to start playing within 15 seconds, the game was ready to play.

There is a huge difference here for some reason.

leeh

I haven't noticed an update/game download for about a year. I'd definitely recommend going digital with home console sharing (half price new games), and instant-on.

Knackers to physical when I get all my new games for £16 each from splitting the price with a friend on the US store.

Seems like we have this thread once a month and it's always the same thing, denial that it does take longer to start playing on XBO. Defending the process isn't going to make it any better. I hope the new xoe fixes this because the competition does it better. Your patch is downloading separately from your install on ps4. Why they are merged together on XBO? Idk, but even without the downloading the patch you're waiting minutes (between 10-20 in my experience) when the competition has you waiting seconds (half a minute to 2 minutes in my experience). Doesn't mean the ps4 is better as a system but it's disc install process is better. No amount of deflecting or side tracking will change because it's a fact.

But on the bright side this is Microsoft's first run with BDs and theyre hungry to please the fans. The fact that they always seem to be listening, it will be addressed soon. I mean they figured out BC, they will figure out how to make a better install process.

Guerrilla

I have never had a PS4 game on disc not allow me to play a certain part of the game after the initial 30sec. install,,.? I thought it read info from the disc untill it is completely installed..?

nope it def. happens with fifa, you need to wait for the complete installation to finsih to play certain parts, and I would bet it happens with others too.

However, the case still stands that ms needs to uncouple updates from the installation process and get those few minutes to a minute

I suppose that if there is a huge patch it makes a bit more sense, but not five hours of sense. It tooks about 45 minutes for me to download Bloodborne on my PS4, so my internet isn't slow enough to make a huge difference I would think.

That's because bloodborne doesn't have 20-30gbs of patches to download via your internet.

As for actually installing the game discs, Ps4 is indeed faster, but we are talking minutes, not hours.

Isn't MCC like 70gb? Not sure what you expected

Edit: the real slowness comes in the downloading of the day 1 patch. That's like 20GB

Hanmik

nope it def. happens with fifa, you need to wait for the complete installation to finsih to play certain parts, and I would bet it happens with others too.

However, the case still stands that ms needs to uncouple updates from the installation process and get those few minutes to a minute

yeah you are right.. just watched a video of Fifa 14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib5Zfc_mbYE

looks like you can only play a friendly match will it installs..

never tried a Fifa game on my PS4, so I did not know this.. so you are right about Fifa.

and the video clearly shows that it is minutes between PS4 and Xbox One install from disc.

Mastperf

The thing of the whole PS4 vs. X1 situation is that you can only copy same amount of data from the BR drive to the HDD.

There is no wizardry why the PS4 could do this faster.

The thing is just that the PS4 lets you start the game after only copying a small amount of data to the harddrive and then (I assume) reads necessary data directly from the BR-drive when you start the game and the data has not been copied to the HDD in the background.

This is actually not hard to understand that it is just not physically possible to copy a 40-50 GB BR in 60 seconds onto the hard drive.
As far as I know the, PS4 doesn't support playing from the blu-ray drive even if developers wanted to. Sony just made it easier for developers to lay out their data on disc to allow them to know how much needs to be installed before they can allow you to start playing. There are plenty of cases of people rushing and hitting an installing message after starting a game.

Jawmuncher

Yeah Xbox one install length is what I dislike most about the system. I try to get games at midnight or lunch break so I can install them while at work or whatever so that I'm not having to sit and wait to play it. Yeah I can play while its install but id just rather not. Have had a few issues on both X1 and PS4 when doing that.

Assassin's Creed IV:
Xbox One (offline, no update): 5 minutes 50 seconds
Xbox One (with update, fastest connection): 7 minutes 2 seconds
Xbox One (with update, 10Mbps connection): 10 minutes 32 seconds
PS4: 42 seconds

Need For Speed Rivals:
XBO: 09:25 (including update)
PS4: 00:32

Just Dance 2014:
XBO: 08:48 (including update)
PS4: 00:45

NBA Live 14:
XBO: 16:26 (including update)
PS4: 00:35

FIFA 14:
XBO: 16:06 (including update)
PS4: 00:34

Madden 25:
XBO: 9:38 (including update)
PS4: 00:38
http://kotaku.com/installing-xbox-one-games-takes-way-too-long-1471191836

Sony has 1 gen longer experience with this than MS, the Xbone install times are as long as those on PS3. Worse, I've heard horror stories of people forgetting to install their games offline and it taking up hours to be able to play their game. The Xbone should allow people to play their games while downloading the update in the background like ps4, but even offline installations take 10x longer on Xbox.

Personally install times didn't bother me that much on PS3, they didn't take much space so I could store many games on the hdd. This gen games are usually 40-50GB, a smaller number of games you can rotate and go back to. Fortunately with install taking 30-40 seconds on PS4 I always delete those big data files and free space knowing I can play the game back in less than a minute.

yup, that's right and a known "issue"
if you have a disk base version of your game and want to speed up the install, cut off your internet connection for the xbox one, before you start to install. that should make it a lil faster

At the very very least it should give you two progress bars: one "installing" one "downloading updates". Hopefully they'll fix this in the new os.

NewDust

I don't know why you get so much flack for your opnion. I'm like you, I hate drive noise and the first thing I do wwhen I get home from buying a new PS4 game, is put it in and let it fully install. However there is no reason to check if it's finished. The BD drive should stop spinning within a minute of the completed install, so you can quite easily hear when it's finished installing. Only thing left is the install of patch and DLC data and that notifies you when it's finished installing.

Top Bottom