• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: Bloodborne

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Now it's probably too late but for the ending trophy you can just upload a save just before the final boss on the cloud, get an ending, and download the save again for another ending.

Decided to press on through a second play and will surely do this for the remaining two decisions.

Just entered the infamous defiled chalice first though. This is the one that wrecks most players platinum dreams right?

Decided to press on through a second play and will surely do this for the remaining two decisions.

Just entered the infamous defiled chalice first though. This is the one that wrecks most players platinum dreams right?

Its not that hard. I was stuck in it for about 3 days. I joined the Fextra life community by using their glyph codes (Can be found on the bloodborne wiki). Increases chances of co-op. Those people will help you get the platinum. I beat the 3 bosses by myself though.

teiresias

I've also had Bloodborne sitting around for a few months, but likely won't get to it for another few.

I did start a game when I first got it just to mess around, and I can already tell I'm going to have to really re-learn combat since I was really sword-and-shield style in Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, and well, this game is definitely not it. Do you really just dodge mainly? I was always horrible at dodging in the two DS games.

RiggyRob

I've just started Bloodborne as well and I'm really enjoying it, I mentioned in the OT I like the Metroid Prime-esque style of story telling.

I experienced my first rage moment yesterday too when I lost 24000 Blood Echoes after dying to
Darkbeast Paarl
, when actually I think I tried to do him too early (completely skipped the Cathedral section where a guy needs a password).

It was a nice feeling going for an Arcane build and then finding the Tonitrus though.

I've just started Bloodborne as well and I'm really enjoying it, I mentioned in the OT I like the Metroid Prime-esque style of story telling.

I experienced my first rage moment yesterday too when I lost 24000 Blood Echoes after dying to
Darkbeast Paarl
, when actually I think I tried to do him too early (completely skipped the Cathedral section where a guy needs a password).

It was a nice feeling going for an Arcane build and then finding the Tonitrus though.
I usually don't do that boss till after the password section. Also you should do Eileens quest to unlock an outfit that cuts down on lightning damage and I believe you find a lightning resist rune in a later area as well.

zma1013

It's really just the defiled bosses in that dungeon that stops people. Taking it slow and pulling enemies away one at a time is manageable enough but the bosses will wreck you. Luckily there are strats out there for them that can turn them into cakewalk if you really have trouble.

RiggyRob

I usually don't do that boss till after the password section. Also you should do Eileens quest to unlock an outfit that cuts down on lightning damage and I believe you find a lightning resist rune in a later area as well.

It'd help if I knew who Eileen was! So far NPC-wise I've met Gilbert who gave me the Flamesprayer, the bitchy old lady I sent to Oedon Chapel, the creepy guy in Odeon Chapel, the crying woman in Hypogean Gaol, Iosefka and the brothel woman I sent to Iosefka's Clinic - which reminds me, I haven't even unlocked the gate to the right of where you come out of Iosefka's Clinic and I don't have the tool for the Caryll Rune workshop either.

So much to do!

It'd help if I knew who Eileen was! So far NPC-wise I've met Gilbert who gave me the Flamesprayer, the bitchy old lady I sent to Oedon Chapel, the creepy guy in Odeon Chapel, the crying woman in Hypogean Gaol, Iosefka and the brothel woman I sent to Iosefka's Clinic - which reminds me, I haven't even unlocked the gate to the right of where you come out of Iosefka's Clinic and I don't have the tool for the Caryll Rune workshop either.

So much to do!
Whelp you dun fucked up by sending that woman to Iosefka. You don't unlock that door until later in the game. You need to go through the password area first and find a rather nice shortcut in there first. Eileen you find her in a secret area to the right of the rafters where you find the room with the rats in Yharnam. If you get to the area where you drop down into there don't drop down, walk on the rafters. You fought
Paarl
way too damn early then wow. You need to go through Hemwich Charnel Lane now before you even deal with the password area. It's to the left of the grand cathedral area.

RiggyRob

Whelp you dun fucked up by sending that woman to Iosefka. You don't unlock that door until later in the game. You need to go through the password area first and find a rather nice shortcut in there first. Eileen you find her in a secret area to the right of the rafters where you find the room with the rats in Yharnam. If you get to the area where you drop down into there don't drop down, walk on the rafters. You fought
Paarl
way too damn early then wow. You need to go through Hemwich Charnel Lane now before you even deal with the password area. It's to the left of the grand cathedral area.

Lots to explore then - I just remembered the last NPC I met, the girl who's Viola and Gascoigne's daughter, I gave her the Red Jewelled Brooch and then she just pissed off. What am I supposed to do with the music box now?! (Slightly rhetorical, I'm assuming it would have done something during the Gascoigne fight but oh well).

Lots to explore then - I just remembered the last NPC I met, the girl who's Viola and Gascoigne's daughter, I gave her the Red Jewelled Brooch and then she just pissed off. What am I supposed to do with the music box now?! (Slightly rhetorical, I'm assuming it would have done something during the Gascoigne fight but oh well).
Yeah it's used on Gascoigne during his transformed phase.

Toth

It's great game but I was never sure if you could play it as a range player or as a 'caster'. Is that even possible? I am always the mage character in DS and though I managed to beat Bloodborne as a melee, it was quite difficult to adjust at first.

It's great game but I was never sure if you could play it as a range player or as a 'caster'. Is that even possible? I am always the mage character in DS and though I managed to beat Bloodborne as a melee, it was quite difficult to adjust at first.

Range or caster isn't very viable in the base game, well I guess it could be, but it would be very tough and boring. The DLC looks like it is fixing that though with a bow weapon and a soul arrow looking spell.

NEO0MJ

It is, but pretty difficult. There are a few "spells" but most early game stuff are just for buffs and most offensive ones are on the utility side of the scale than the damage one. Plus because they exhaust bullets you'll have to use bullet raising runes and replenish your supply by sacrificing health often.

MikeyB

I had it sitting around for months too. It took me hours to get any decent distance past the group of enemies at the bonfire. I died in the sewers for several hours as well.

Then, it clicked. I managed to kill the werewolves and take on the Cleric Beast without dying. So satisfying.

Still at it, and loving every second. I beat
Witch of Hemwick
last night, which was laughably easy. Even moreso than
Pinwheel
in Dark Souls 1. It felt so out of place for a Souls game.

The boss I beat prior to that though,
Darkbeast Paarl
was an absolute bastard though. I was really happy I managed to bit him solo though.

I keep hearing about Chalice dungeons; what do I have to do to access them?

Brandon F

It's really just the defiled bosses in that dungeon that stops people. Taking it slow and pulling enemies away one at a time is manageable enough but the bosses will wreck you. Luckily there are strats out there for them that can turn them into cakewalk if you really have trouble.

Yea, blew through the first floor. The first boss gave me a bit of trouble, but after a few attempts I managed taking her down alright. Decided to hold off on pushing through floor 2 until I finally get a Blood Rock as I missed the only one available in the campaign on my first play, so am just rushing through NG+ to get it again for that +10 bump. I do feel I could use a bit more damage output before attempting more of Defiled.

You have to have a Holy Chalice in your possession, then you go up to one of the graves lined up opposite the ones that teleport you to lamps in and around Yharnam, press x, and then select the chalice you want to use and see if you have the necessary ritual items needed to open the dungeon associated with the chalice.

Gbraga

Still at it, and loving every second. I beat
Witch of Hemwick
last night, which was laughably easy. Even moreso than
Pinwheel
in Dark Souls 1. It felt so out of place for a Souls game.

It's an easy boss indeed, but no way in hell it's easier than Pinwheel.

Brandon F

First one comes free after killing the Blood Starved Beast(which you may have missed fighting if you bought the item that opens the gate to the Great Cathedral to bypass that section). Or if you did kill it, its in your inv already and you may have not paid close attention when the prompt came up.

Once you use that chalice at the gravestones in the Hunter Dream, you earn the next set of chalice dungeons by playing through the floors, usually killing the new bosses within, and so on... Pretty much its own set of progression separate from the main-game at the gravestones in the Hunter Dream. Somewhat self-explanatory once you start playing them. There are about 10 chalices that are preset that you progressively discover, but other chalices labelled "root" are the 'random' types that you can modify their properties with key items for difficulty and rewards. They are worth doing now and again for extra souls and unique rewards to discover(not to mention entirely new enemies and bosses not featured in the game to take down)

The Chalice dungeons are entirely optional content, but if you wish to platinum the game's trophies, you'll need to at least play through the 10 or so 'preset' dungeons within.

Thanks for the Chalice Dungeon explanations. I have beat Blood-Starved Beast, and I have seen the chalices in my inventory; I just didn't know where to use them.

It's an easy boss indeed, but no way in hell it's easier than Pinwheel.

I think Pinwheel is capable of offering a reasonable challenge if you face him as soon as you start a new game (not NG+), and don't use any summons.
Witch of Hemwick
seems like it would be laughably easy under any circumstances. And I just found out that if you
go into the fight with 0 Insight, no wandering enemies will appear
. If that's true, that would make the fight an absolute cakewalk.

depths20XX

First one comes free after killing the Blood Starved Beast(which you may have missed fighting if you bought the item that opens the gate to the Great Cathedral to bypass that section). Or if you did kill it, its in your inv already and you may have not paid close attention when the prompt came up.

Wait, where is the Blood Starved Beast? I couldn't find anywhere to go so I bought the thing for 10k souls to open the gate. Just killed the Falcor looking boss in the church.

Wait, where is the Blood Starved Beast? I couldn't find anywhere to go so I bought the thing for 10k souls to open the gate. Just killed the Falcor looking boss in the church.

From the lantern in Cathedral Ward (where you send survivors to), go down the short set of steps, and take the exit to the left. You'll be outside in a circular area. If you follow the path dead opposite, you'll reach a church/cathedral of some kind. It's a linear route to the optional area Old Yharnam from here, and Blood-Starved Beast is the boss of that area.

Gbraga

I think Pinwheel is capable of offering a reasonable challenge if you face him as soon as you start a new game (not NG+), and don't use any summons.
Witch of Hemwick
seems like it would be laughably easy under any circumstances. And I just found out that if you
go into the fight with 0 Insight, no wandering enemies will appear
. If that's true, that would make the fight an absolute cakewalk.

It's true, but it's more of a neat trick than an actual possibility in casual playthroughs. You have to go out of your way for this to happen,
since you get insight for seeing the boss, you need to warp back or quit and load the game, then go back to the dream and spend the insight, only then you can go back to the boss fight with 0 insight.

And while it's true that it's easy no matter when you do the fight, it's never as easy as Pinwheel can be. It's close though, I'll give you that.

Cleric Beast is pretty much
Capra Demon, it can give first timers a lot of hell on their first playthrough, before you know it's an optional fight, but on later playthroughs, if you leave the boss for later, it's a joke fight.
I love it.

It's true, but it's more of a neat trick than an actual possibility in casual playthroughs. You have to go out of your way for this to happen,
since you get insight for seeing the boss, you need to warp back or quit and load the game, then go back to the dream and spend the insight, only then you can go back to the boss fight with 0 insight.

And while it's true that it's easy no matter when you do the fight, it's never as easy as Pinwheel can be. It's close though, I'll give you that.

Cleric Beast is pretty much
Capra Demon, it can give first timers a lot of hell on their first playthrough, before you know it's an optional fight, but on later playthroughs, if you leave the boss for later, it's a joke fight.
I love it.

That's true; you would have to go out of your way to do that.

Maybe it's just been too long since I faced Pinwheel. Or maybe I never fought him alone, so never realised how easy he was even solo.

As for
Cleric Beast, holy shit, you're right, I never really noticed he was optional. That does explain why Gascoigne is much easier. It's quite sadistic of the developers to make the very first boss you're likely to encounter an optional one that you're better off coming back to! It's easy to assume that you have to beat him to proceed.

Mondrian

I actually started playing it this week. Perfect game for Halloween. Just beat
Father G
, can't wait to see what happens next. I actually truly enjoy how you don't need a walkthrough for this game, you can just explore without worry.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Father G
, can't wait to see what happens next. I actually truly enjoy how you don't need a walkthrough for this game, you can just explore without worry.

You really didn't need a walkthrough for any of the games. :p

Gbraga

Father G

Let us cleanse these foul streets.

Mondrian

You really didn't need a walkthrough for any of the games. :p

I get ocd about collectibles and missable quests and items in games in general... And I guess bloodborne may have those, I have no idea and with this game I actually don't care, which is exactly what I was looking for. :)

Gbraga

I get ocd about collectibles and missable quests and items in games in general... And I guess bloodborne may have those, I have no idea and with this game I actually don't care, which is exactly what I was looking for. :)

If this is your first Souls game, just read item descriptions and explore at your own pace and you'll be fine.

You might miss one thing or two even then because of some decisions you've made, but it's only more reason to replay it afterwards! Keep us posted on what you think about the game. Which weapon are you using?

depths20XX

From the lantern in Cathedral Ward (where you send survivors to), go down the short set of steps, and take the exit to the left. You'll be outside in a circular area. If you follow the path dead opposite, you'll reach a church/cathedral of some kind. It's a linear route to the optional area Old Yharnam from here, and Blood-Starved Beast is the boss of that area.

Hmm, I guess I just didn't find the boss in Old Yharnam then. Thought I explored everything there and even cleared out the church with the screeching things that poison you.

Jamesways

Hmm, I guess I just didn't find the boss in Old Yharnam then. Thought I explored everything there and even cleared out the church with the screeching things that poison you.

There's a ladder going down around there...

And eventually you'll open a shortcut back to the beginning, which blew my mind.

The level design in this is fantastic!

I finished this a couple days ago. Easily my favorite game of the generation so far. I played 50 hours of Bloodborne in five days! One of my play sessions was 13 hours long. I haven't had something like that happen since my early college days (I'm 33). I'll go so far as to say that the only games in the last ten years that compare with Bloodborne for me in terms of quality are Super Mario Galaxy, Resident Evil 4, and The Last of Us.

Mondrian

If this is your first Souls game, just read item descriptions and explore at your own pace and you'll be fine.

You might miss one thing or two even then because of some decisions you've made, but it's only more reason to replay it afterwards! Keep us posted on what you think about the game. Which weapon are you using?

I'm using a threaded cane +2. The only other weapon I've found is the saw spear. I'm level 29 right now and have been farming echoes a bit before I move into the next zone. This game is amazing.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

Well if that's what you're worried about, Bloodborne is actually the worst game in the series for this. Things you could easily miss will give you the "bad" ending.

Persona7

Banned
I just finished this game in about 45 hours but half of that was waiting around trying to summon and join other peoples games. I don't understand why the multiplayer just straight up doesn't work in most areas of this game. The only area where I can invade anyone at all is Mergo's Middle Loft or whatever it is called.

Beat
Vicar Amelia
last night on my first attempt. Is she supposed to be difficult? I think I'm a bit higher in level than I "should" be (I'm level 65), and I used Ludwig's Holy Blade 2-handed charged R2. That seemed to absolutely wreck her, as each hit did about 15% damage, and she got staggered a lot, allowing for even more free hits.

Beat
Vicar Amelia
last night on my first attempt. Is she supposed to be difficult? I think I'm a bit higher in level than I "should" be (I'm level 65), and I used Ludwig's Blade 2-handed charged R2. That seemed to absolutely wreck her, as each hit did about 15% damage, and she got staggered a lot, allowing for even more free hits.

You are ridiculously overleveled.

Beat
Vicar Amelia
last night on my first attempt. Is she supposed to be difficult? I think I'm a bit higher in level than I "should" be (I'm level 65), and I used Ludwig's Holy Blade 2-handed charged R2. That seemed to absolutely wreck her, as each hit did about 15% damage, and she got staggered a lot, allowing for even more free hits.

65? Damn! I finished the game around that level :D

Neff

Honestly even the normal attack is swift and powerful enough to deal with enemies.

The axe's two-handed L2 combo, even the first one or two hits alone, is the most useful attack in the game imo. The range, damage and stun in return for the stamina is exceptional.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Beat
Vicar Amelia
You been grinding for 10 hours or what? 65... jeez...

Yeah Bloodborne is definitively one of my favorite games of all times, mostly due to the settings, the use of Lovecraftian horror and the art direction. I still have a soft spot for Dark Souls 1 for various reasons, but to me Bloodborne is up there, only dragged back by it's relatively short campaign compared to some of the other souls games and the relative lack of weapons/spells/reasons to stick around. Hopefully the DLC will help make this even more interesting and help alleviate some of that missing depth/ replay value.

Beat
Vicar Amelia

Level 65? WTF man. I actually grinded at that point for a couple hours to upgrade a couple weapons and I ended up at around level 40 for that fight. If I wouldn't have done that, I would have been in the mid 30's. It's an incredibly difficult boss for most people because they aren't level freakin' 65 lol

Beat
Vicar Amelia

Wow you must have been doing some grinding, I wasn't much over that level when I finished the game!

Haha, wow. Hope I haven't spoiled things for myself too much by taking away too much of the challenge.

I did grind for a couple of hours after
Father Gascoigne
; I kept ringing the Small Resonant Bell to help other people beat him, and doing a sweep of the area while waiting.

I also did a few sweeps of
Hypogean Gaol
, as it offers a quick and easy source of many Blood Echoes once you know what you're doing.

All in all, I'd say I haven't spent more than three or four hours or so "grinding". I just like to explore a lot, so sometimes I'll end up clearing out areas multiple times. That's probably why I'm not that far into it compared to OrbitalBeard, who started on it after me, but has completed it. I'd say I've also spent around 50 hours on it so far, or not far from that.

I certainly grinded a lot more in Dark Souls 1. I'd sometimes spend hours in Painted World of Ariamis taking out the enemies with spears while listening to podcasts, as that was the best grind spot in the game. But even then I didn't feel like I was blitzing through bosses or anything.

I felt like I've avoided doing anything heavy grinding like that in Bloodborne, so I'm surprised at how quickly a lot of things are going down. Oh well.

Haha, wow. Hope I haven't spoiled things for myself too much by taking away too much of the challenge.

I did grind for a couple of hours after
Father Gascoigne
; I kept ringing the Small Resonant Bell to help other people beat him, and doing a sweep of the area while waiting.

I also did a few sweeps of
Hypogean Gaol
, as it offers a quick and easy source of many Blood Echoes once you know what you're doing.

All in all, I'd say I haven't spent more than three or four hours or so "grinding". I just like to explore a lot, so sometimes I'll end up clearing out areas multiple times.

Nah, I understand. I was only partially serious. You can level a bunch just by exploring the world. It's actually quite awesome. The only time I ever did a traditional grind was when I needed one or two more items in order to upgrade a weapon and going for that item would always net me a bunch of blood echoes in the process.

Top Bottom