• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Apple WWDC 2006 keynote thread

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
EST: 1PM
Pacific: 10AM
UK: 6PM

Live updates at:

http://www.macrumorslive.com

Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) will be unveiled publically for the first time, and 1st developer seed given out.

Banners at the conference site are already taking not very subtle shots at Microsoft:

"Mac OS X Leopard, Introducing Vista 2.0"
"Mac OS X Leopard, Hasta la Vista, Vista"

Rumour summary:

- Intel Power Macs (Mac Pros) widely expected to be shown, using dual-core Xeon processor(s)
- Intel Xserves also expected alongside Mac Pros
- iChat 4.0 to be part of Leopard, with Skype-like ability to call traditional phonelines
- New displays
- Some or all of existing Intel Macs possibly bumped to Core 2 Duos
- iPhone (unlikely, looked very fake and video was shown as fake)
- new iPods including revamped Nanos (believed to be separate event in September now)
- iTunes Movie Store (again expected to be September)

This is a developer conference, so consumer announcements like the iPods are less likely, although this is Apple's 30th Anniversary year so "One more thing" surprises can not be ruled out.

xsarien

daedsiluap
As much as the expected 2006 iPod refresh is eating away at my very soul, I don't expect any kind of announcement at a developer conference.

I'll see you in September, Jobs. I'll see you in September...

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Take with possible pinch of salt but Robert Scoble, former Microsoft employee, says this about the WWDC:

Robert Scoble said:
Speaking of Apple, they are readying a dizzying amount of new products. I wish I could camp out at an Apple store during the World Wide Developer Conference on August 7th. I wish I could say more, but that'd get me sued by Steve Jobs and I don't need that kind of heck right now.

http://scobleizer.wordpress.com/2006/07/31/mclaws-is-right-on-windows-vista-ship-date/

I so can't wait to see what I'm going to spend my 130€ on this fall.

And if the spreadsheet rumor is true, maybe they'll sell me a copy of iWork as well.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I want my Apple TV's, PDA (iNote), iPhone, and why not apple digital camera's and bluetooth printers? I can dream of it tonight! :lol :lol

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
UltimaKilo said:
I want my Apple TV's, PDA (iNote), iPhone, and why not apple digital camera's and bluetooth printers? I can dream of it tonight! :lol :lol

Don't forget fullscreen video iPod and Tablet Mac! ;)

Oh, and the return of the Cube as well.

White Man

Musashi Wins! said:
When Apple does a product roll out at an event, do they generally go all the way and release them for sale immediately?

You can buy them right away, but in most cases there's a 2-3 week period before it ships or before stores get them in.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Apple Store (UK) is down:

title_backsoon.gif

New stuff to buy later then ...

Edit: US Store still up which is odd
Edit 2: Now it's down! :)

White Man said:
Once again: If they get a quad core Mac Pro shipping in the next month, I'm in.

Who is shipping Quad Core processors at this point? I'm pretty sure you won't have to worry about picking one up.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Who is shipping Quad Core processors at this point? I'm pretty sure you won't have to worry about picking one up.

The Power Mac Quad used 2 x dual-core G5's.

They are widely expected to do the same with 2 x dual-core Xeons in the new Mac Pros.

White Man

Kung Fu Jedi said:

Intel is close. The thing is, I don't think Apple would launch Mac Pro without being able to unequivocably state that they are x times more powerful than the Power Macs. Without a Quad Core Mac Pro, they can't outdo the old line.

Drey1082

What's the trade in policy on new apple notebook purchases?

Reason for Question: I just bought a new MacBook, and while those are fairly new, and I'm pretty sure they won't be updated, I want to be able to upgrade if need be. Just bought my MacBook on the 3rd.

McFly

I think I'll add all those posters as an easteregg into my new Mac app. :lol

Edit: Guess I have to do some fake versions as well. :lol

Fredi

White Man said:
Intel is close. The thing is, I don't think Apple would launch Mac Pro without being able to unequivocably state that they are x times more powerful than the Power Macs. Without a Quad Core Mac Pro, they can't outdo the old line.

Intel is expected to ship Quad Core's in the Fourth Quarter of the year, but I doubt Apple will hold off that long to get the Pro line up and running. As the other poster above suggested, it could be two Core Duo processors, but can they be paired that way? We're talking different architecture from the G5's, and I haven't seen a two processor Core Duo system anywhere.

Regardless, the Core Duo's should still out perform the G5's in every way.

What is the rush with the Pro desktop line anyway? Adobe has no UB apps until middle of next year. All that's left is video editing in Final Cut Studio.

rubso

Banned
i don't know what's wrong with Jobs, he keeps bashing Microsoft Products and keep using them and of course advertising for them.
3. Yes, Macs run Microsoft Office.
6. Yes, you can even run Windows.
doesn't he remember that Microsoft saved him from Bankruptcy in 1997?

dkeane

Boards of Canada said:
What is the rush with the Pro desktop line anyway? Adobe has no UB apps until middle of next year. All that's left is video editing in Final Cut Studio.
Lets hope Apple will release some image editing software like Photoshop so we no longer have to deal with Adobe. Probably won't happen but I'd like to see what Apple could come up with.

I'm excited for this keynote. I hope they release something totally out of the blue.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Intel is expected to ship Quad Core's in the Fourth Quarter of the year, but I doubt Apple will hold off that long to get the Pro line up and running. As the other poster above suggested, it could be two Core Duo processors, but can they be paired that way? We're talking different architecture from the G5's, and I haven't seen a two processor Core Duo system anywhere.

IIRC, only Woodcrest (the server version of Core 2) supports multi-processor configurations, Conroe and Merom do not.

I would expect them to put Merom in the Macbook Pro, but not in the regular Macbook (to keep the lines cleanly differentiated), which would also resolve some of the heat issues they've been experiencing.

Nerevar said:
IIRC, only Woodcrest (the server version of Core 2) supports multi-processor configurations, Conroe and Merom do not.

I would expect them to put Merom in the Macbook Pro, but not in the regular Macbook (to keep the lines cleanly differentiated), which would also resolve some of the heat issues they've been experiencing.

Right, and I was expecting the Xserve to update to Woodcrest.

White Man

Kung Fu Jedi said:

Well, also keep in mind that MBPs were announced in January, but they didn't ship until March. Maybe something similar will be done with Quad Core Mac Pros.

Top Bottom