• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Apple WWDC 2006 keynote thread

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
10:30 am don't want photocopiers started too early
10:29 am top secret features not being shown, just not letting you know what they are.

Doh.

It's like Nintendo ;)

element said:
no live feed today :( weak

They've actually gotten away from the live feeds in their last few big events. Just too many people watching to make it stable. I miss watching the feeds, but in the past few years, they've gotten harder and harder to watch.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
10:31 am can run 32 bit apps side by side with 64 bit - no emulation, no translation
full support, top to bottom
10:31 am did in a completely 32 bit compatible way
10:31 am have a fully native 64 bit UI carbon app
10:31 am in leopard - giant leap forward - extend support all the way through UI framework into applications
10:30 am previously at unix layer
10:30 am 1) support for 64 bit applications

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Nash said:
Mistake

dsc_0433.jpg

They really shouldn't have made that Dell comparison earlier, because looking at Dell's site right now (I had to), there's a machine with the same or very similar spec, but bigger hard drive, for $500 less, and I'm not even looking that hard for the best deal. (I assume that Apple comes with a monitor too, because if it doesn't, that's far worse still).

edit - well, it's not a Xeon, if that makes the difference.. :p But the same speed in a Core Duo..

pxleyes

Banned
gofreak said:
They really shouldn't have made that Dell comparison earlier, because looking at Dell's site right now (I had to), there's a machine with the same or very similar spec, but bigger hard drive, for $500 less, and I'm not even looking that hard for the best deal. (I assume that Apple comes with a monitor too, because if it doesn't, that's far worse still).

Apples RARELY come with monitors.

White Man

Looks like they're putting non half-assed backup/restore point shit into Leopard. So they spend 10 minutes slagging on MS and one of the first features they show off is inspired by them :p

edit - well, it's not a Xeon, if that makes the difference.. :p

That Dell has 2 cores less than the Mac Pro.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
10:35 am ever had time where you work on a doc and you do a save as and overwrote the wrong one?
10:35 am coolest part - and reason we call it that - whole new way of backing up files
10:35 am backup to HD, or server
10:35 am can restore everything, or just one file at a time
10:34 am can be right where you were when the HD drive
10:34 am automatically backs up mac
you change a file, it automatically backs up
photos, music, documents, files folder, everything
then you can restore everything
10:32 am 2) Time machine

White Man said:
Looks like they're putting non half-assed backup/restore point shit into Leopard. So they spend 10 minutes slagging on MS and one of the first features they show off is inspired by them :p

That was exactly what I was thinking. But they're right: OSX needs built in backup functionality.

White Man said:
That Dell has 2 cores less than the Mac Pro.

And isn't a Xeon Processor. HUGE difference there.

Time Machine = Windows Restore Points.

Not the feature you need to be touting. Overdue, but XP has had that for some time. Pretty cool that it can be backed up to a server though.

Edit: Ok, the abilitiy to review exactly what changes were made throught time Timeline viewer thingy sounds pretty sweet.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
gofreak said:
edit - well, it's not a Xeon, if that makes the difference.. :p But the same speed in a Core Duo..

Core Duo only supports single-processor doesn't it?

Each Mac Pro is 2 x dual-core Xeons.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
10:39 am file previews without going through full restore
10:38 am devs are impressed
10:38 am finder windows "warping" forward
10:38 am can go back a day - or two days
10:38 am timeline on right-hand side
10:37 am visual representation of moving through time
10:37 am finder windows move through timeline on the side of the machine through time - very cool to watch
10:37 am instantly back
10:37 am with time machine, you can get those files back by entering a date or time

Ok, for just a back-up thing, Time Machine sounds VERY cool.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Kung Fu Jedi said:
And isn't a Xeon Processor. HUGE difference there.

Time Machine = Windows Restore Points.

Not the feature you need to be touting. Overdue, but XP has had that for some time. Pretty cool that it can be backed up to a server though.

No. Sorry. Windows restore ha NEVER, EVER worked for me- especially when I REALLY needed it. I must have tried it 7-8 times on different pc configurations, not ONCE was it successful- which is why I would NEVER depend on it. Either it ****s everything up, or it says it cannot do the restore. If apple manages an OSX level backup system that I can rely on, that is awesome.

pxleyes

Banned
Slurpy said:
No. Sorry. Windows restore ha NEVER, EVER worked for me- especially when I REALLY needed it. I must have tried it 7-8 times on different pc configurations, not ONCE was it successful- which is why I would NEVER depend on it. Either it ****s everything up, or it says it cannot do the restore. If apple manages an OSX level backup system that I can rely on, that is awesome.

k, but your luck with it doesn't mean it doesn't work. Works for me every time.

White Man

Slurpy said:

I've found it to be pretty reliable. Sometimes if what's causing the system ****up is a third party app it gets crappy, though. I still think it's pretty decent for a first effort.

Dilbert

Time Machine sounds interesting...but what the hell kind of disk requirements is it going to have? My 100 GB drive in my MacBook Pro is already two-thirds full with my music collection...and I've barely started dabbling in photography.

Slurpy said:

Agreed. I've never had issues with the Restore Points, but I know plenty of people have had problems with them. And Time Machine sounds like it blows what Windows does right out of the water. Can't wait to see more details about this upon hearing a little more about it.

fse

Again, I just click Restore and I can bring her back to the address book. But as I said earlier, the most important thing to me is my photos. Now there's an entire roll missing from a trip I took...."

Looks like we may have a crash. Relaunches.

a what? oh...crash?

DMczaf

08/07 10:44am Relaunching demo, heh - kasper
08/07 10:43am CRASH -- oh well - kasper
08/07 10:43am The leopard desktop doesn't look much diff from Tiger - kasper

:lol

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Boot Camp as standard in Leopard

and Virtual Desktops:

10:47 am built in to leopard
10:47 am spaces lets me create collections of apps for different tasks that's intuitive
10:46 am can drag info from one desktop to the other
10:46 am "very cool"
10:46 am Steve showing how to use multiple desktops for different jobs - working on web pages, etc. create different spaces for different clusters of apps to work together
10:44 am "space"
10:44 am 4) Virtual Desktops

White Man

I'm guessing if Boot Camp is in, there will be no Apple-supported virtualization.

Any guesses on One More Thing? It's almost time. I don't think it's going to be iPods or iPhones or whatever.

jesus this Leopard thing has been lame so far... better have "one more thing" for all those MS jokes

Really. The one new new feature they announce is backup? It sounds like a nice version of backup, but still. YOU SHOWED MS.

Chittagong said:
jesus this Leopard thing has been lame so far... better have "one more thing" for all those MS jokes

Christ, they just got going. So far they've shown off Time Machine, which sounds pretty nice, and they've moved on to Boot Camp, and Virtual Desktops.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Chittagong said:

Well he's already played the Nintendo card.

The best stuff isn't being shown yet.

Chittagong said:

I totally agree. LOL at how they call MS copycats and then copy the system restore points from Windows and the Network Drive instant search from Google Desktop search.

ckohler

White Man said:
Any guesses on One More Thing? It's almost time. I don't think it's going to be iPods or iPhones or whatever.
Not at WWDC. iPods and iPhones are not really developer related.

Top Bottom