• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: CoD Black Ops3 Campaign Frame-Rate Test PS4 vs Xbox ONE

ISee

Read the full article here: CLICK ME

PS4 ranges between 1360x1080 to 1920x1080, although much of the time the engine manages to hit the desired native 1080p resolution for extended periods . During the opening firefight in the Provocation mission we see PS4 kick off at 1360x1080p before ramping back up to full 1080p a few moments later - the switch is often barely visible due to softening effect of the AA solution, although some blur across distant details is apparent.

Xbox One is a different story, targeting a baseline 1600x900, , but after trawling through our captures it appears that the engine rarely - if ever - achieves this. Instead we're looking at a sustained 1280x900 resolution, even in less stressful gameplay scenes, with horizontal metrics dropping down to 1200x900 in more challenging scenarios - and the results are not impressive.

However, as we move into more open areas packed with greater amounts of geometry detail and more challenging effects work, frame-rates start to suffer on both consoles and the 60fps fluidity is gone. Performance ranges from 40-55fps and seem highly variable in motion, leading to inconsistent controller response and a stutter to motion we don't usually associate with the series.

Much more in the article and YT-Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eek-JUnFQ40

Putty

Campaign was awful upto the point i quite and i happily sold on Amazon barely an hour after playing it. Regardless of performance which as the article shows isn't the best i just found it ...not COD like at all.

I wonder about those fps drops.
1. Is the game GPU limited even post-resolution drop in some capacity? Hence the fps inconsistency. Or...
2. Is it still CPU bound hence the drops in said scenes?

Perhaps the game has such a great GPU load differential in different sections due to what is happening on screen, that they decided to not allow the horizontal resolution get too squished for aesthetic reasons. Perhaps it actually needs to go lower in some scenes to achieve 60, but they decided against it?

Or maybe it is just a heavy game on both ends: CPU and GPU alike.

The campaign mode is infested with frame-drops and screen tearing. I don't mind a dynamic-res on PS4 but only if it helps achieve a solid frame-rate; Black Ops 3 did not.

on ps4 the game holds up pretty well, the switch to 30fps during cutscenes was a little weird though.

Campaign was awful upto the point i quite and i happily sold on Amazon barely an hour after playing it. Regardless of performance which as the article shows is the best i just found it ...not COD like at all.

wow man, great contribution to the thread.

TLDR on resolution;

So Xbox One is mostly 900pr but sometimes achieves full 900p, while PS4 spends majority of it's time at full 1080p but sometimes drops to 1080pr.

Bit disappointing for both consoles really.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't get it. AW looked and performed better last year, especially on Xbone. Wassup?

MMaRsu

Banned
Campaign was awful upto the point i quite and i happily sold on Amazon barely an hour after playing it. Regardless of performance which as the article shows is the best i just found it ...not COD like at all.

An hour after playing it? How can you say its not like cod at all.

Kezen

Banned
I don't get it. AW looked and performed better last year, especially on Xbone. Wassup?

Black Ops 3 is more taxing (play the singapore or cairo levels) and AW was already very well optimized, so there must not be much headroom.

No idea about MP.

Putty

An hour after playing it? How can you say its not like cod at all.

The performace was a factor, but i think the way IW create and direct their campaigns are leagues beyond Treyarch. Last years entry was a better all round experience by the Sledgehammer guys even though that didn't last much longer than my playtime with this.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
That's pretty much the bottom line.
Hate to say it, but in this case, they should just have locked at 30fps while delivering a higher resolution with the excellent motion blur. Right now, it's just too unstable to be enjoyable.

I still wonder if the need to create PS360 versions of AW forced them to limit what the campaign attempted.

Roldan

It would be interesting to know about the framerate during splitscreen.

I mean, the campaign can be played via local co-op, right?

Kezen

Banned
From the Gamersyde framerate test :

lkuQLDO.jpg

And nope, this is not an isolated drop, far from it.
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_black_ops_iii_ps4_analysis_videos-17301_en.html

Javin98

Banned
Watching the Candyland video, I thought something was up with the resolution on XB1. It looked significantly blurrier than even 900p. And now, this article confirms my suspicions. I'm surprised to see that the XB1 version is rendered at 1280×900, honestly. I'm not gonna make my judgement until we get the full face off to see how equivalent hardware on PC runs this game.

Xav

Wonderful.

Yet another developer who throws picture quality and performance under the bus just so they can squeeze in some extra effects.

The 30 FPS cut-scenes are extremely jarring. Who's the idiot that approved those?

ps3ud0

Can someone explain when utilising a dynamic resolution you arent hovering at whatever your frame rate target is? Am I being naive in that expectation as I can imagine some quick drops at times when it gets really hectic but assumed the dynamic res would largely keep the frame rate near target.

Unless I guess the devs never designed the system to hit that target? Man this is messy...

ps3ud0 8)

omonimo

Banned
Black Ops 3 is more taxing (play the singapore or cairo levels) and AW was already very well optimized, so there must not be much headroom.

No idea about MP.
Could be. But to be fair Treyarch has always delivered the worst fps average in the past on ps360. I don't believe too much it's a coincidence.

ISee

Heh, these DF videos are getting better and better.

I agree, especially since they started to voice them. Much more fun to watch.

I wonder about those fps drops.
1. Is the game GPU limited even post-resolution drop in some capacity? Hence the fps inconsistency. Or...
2. Is it still CPU bound hence the drops in said scenes?

Perhaps the game has such a great GPU load differential in different sections due to what is happening on screen, that they decided to not allow the horizontal resolution get too squished for aesthetic reasons. Perhaps it actually needs to go lower in some scenes to achieve 60, but they decided against it?

Or maybe it is just a heavy game on both ends: CPU and GPU alike.

I think the game is very GPU intense in certain situation e.g. multiple fires, explosions, particles and light sources during the first mission. AFAIK, they 'improved' the engine again and overhauled the whole particle and light system with a physically based rendering system + voxel-based global and volumetric lighting, higher particle fill rates through compute shader usage, in addition, the particles are individually illuminated by the same lighting engine , which is also used for the world geometry. --> drops in certain areas. (article here)
I even get drops in those situations on my gtx 970 (especially during the first mission) and granted it's just a mid range PC card, but still way more powerfull then console gpus.

Campaign was awful upto the point i quite and i happily sold on Amazon barely an hour after playing it. Regardless of performance which as the article shows isn't the best i just found it ...not COD like at all.

Not CoD like campaign? What does this even mean?

Kezen

Banned
Could be. But to be fair Treyarch has always delivered the worst fps average in the past on ps360. I don't believe too much it's a coincidence.

They also have delivered the most impressive ones in terms of scale and ambition.
Surely it is not a coincidence.

You can try to damage control all you want the pieces of the puzzle come together quite nicely.

omonimo

Banned
They also have delivered the most impressive ones in terms of scale and ambition.
Surely it is not a coincidence.

You can try to damage control all you want the pieces of the puzzle come together quite nicely.
What damage control? Lol. Relax. If this game targeting 60 fps that's practical useless such beauty considered it's not even that noticeable for the most of the cod players.

Kiant

Wait..so you played less than an hour of the campaign and decided to sell the game? Could of least given the zombie and MP a go.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Jesus, XB1 is almost dropping to 720p at its lowest levels..and that's not even an uncommon occurrence.

In general, both consoles suffer i think, and the tradeoffs while respectable, aren't really worth it IMO, especially considering the mostly polished experience of AW on both PS4 and XB1 last year

Duxxy3

Played through regular and nightmare campaigns on my PS4 and didn't really notice any major performance hitches. Then again I wasn't looking for problems.

Gurish

I'm happy that the PS4 at least reach 1080P most of the time, but still I can't see why this game is more demanding technically than AW, I don't see any visual gap, maybe it's the co-op pushing the hardware?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I'm happy that the PS4 at least reach 1080P most of the time, but still I can't see why this game is more demanding technically than AW, I don't see any visual gap, maybe it's the co-op pushing the hardware?

Campaign has a lot more enemies and stuff going on, tons more AI, tons more performance heavy effects(even if you don't really see the visual difference by just looking), and much bigger levels to support all of that plus 4 players.

Its not as tightly compact and calculated a campaign as usual, thus more performance issues.

Javin98

Banned
So I'm getting impatient and I don't know if anyone wants to join me in this game, but I'm trying to have a rough idea of what presets the console versions are running on. Looking at shots extensively, I think I can say that the shadows are comparable to medium on PC and textures should be comparable to high. Anyone on PC want to help me out?

Angel_DvA

I played BO3 for 15hours now and still haven't start the campaign yet, the multiplayer is so fun that I can't let it go and after the general critics about the solo, I don't think I'll ever play it.

both version run pretty badly with a big advantage for the PS4 but I'm sure the real shiny part will be the MP, the framerate is really great on it, can't wait for the full article.

Just to say if ps4 stay must of time on 1080p why fps still drops so much? I'm confuse.

Looking at the video you wonder if this game is capable of holding a 60fps at any res on console. The Xbox One is dropping to near 720p and still no where near a locked 60.

Top Bottom