• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Internal 4TB PS4... Yeah, it's a thing.

REDSLATE

So, I just upgraded my PlayStation 4 by installing a 4 TB HDD internally. It feels good to finally have some breathing room as 500 GB on an Eighth Gen console is a fucking joke.

20151212_125501_zpsxhhvhh8f.jpg

Everything's working as intended and I was even able to retain the stock appearace of the console.

20151212_130644_zpswnmyfcma.jpg

I'm chalking this one up as a success!

For those interested:
I used a 15mm tall, 2.5" 4TB Samsung P3 External HDD, which I removed from its enclosure. I believe the PS4 only fits 12.5 mm tall, 2.5" HDDs, and I knew going into this 15mm wasn't going to cut it (figuratively), so I would have to do so instead (literally). I cut the shielding which envelopes the caddy.

As I have a CUH-1200 model, the caddy itself is actually top-mounted on the HDD (believe the 1000/1100 models mount to the bottom). Because of this, the screw mountings won't support a 15mm HDD. Additionally, there's a slight height gap for airflow beneath the bottom of the HDD (as it's typically suspended). As such, I inverted the caddy, using it as a tray, set the new HDD inside it (much like the 1000/1100 models) and aligned it with the SATA connector.

A long-term approach will involve drilling holes to properly mount the HDD with screws, but, for now, I taped the HDD to the tray, and the tray to the console. It's somewhat of a jury-rig, but it's plenty secure.

The casing itself took a bit of effort to reattach, and is ever so slightly bowed outward, though I've put eyes-on, and it's largely imperceptible. Everything is now snuggly fit, which will likely increase heat retention, but not to a degree where it will be damaging. The HDD is only 5400 rotations/min (same as stock Drive), and the 1200 model PS4 runs cooler by design, making any additional heat build-up negatable.

Anyway, yeah. Internal High-Cap PS4 is now a thing!

Plum

I'd do this to my PS4 right away but P.T. must be kept safe so future generations can know what we have lost.

JackEtc

Damn and to think I JUST did a 2 TB upgrade a few weeks ago

EDIT: Oh wait, this seems not 100% safe like the 2TB one, so never mind

I may be totally wrong, but didnt the ps4 have problems with hdd's over 2tb? recognizing the space, etc? or it's just a size problem?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
If they had supported bigger than 2.5 drives, none of the space concerns would be an issue really...

Gusto

You can back up P.T. to your new drive.

It was on a list of survey questions that went out a while back to select emails, along with folders, and PSN name changes. So time will tell.

He's right, I backed up my HD with PT and have now loaded it up to all my PS4's. I also heard that the PS4 only truly supports 2tb. Some say that games run wonky with anything over a 2tb.

I also thought there was an issue with ones over 2TB? Everything working well on your end OP?

I got a 2 TB recently and I think that'll be enough for me. I'm more disc based anyway and I probably won't run out of space till near the end of this gen cycle.

jax

Banned
$800 SSD for a $400 console.

Hopefully you have a $1200+ gaming rig too, otherwise this seems like overkill tbh

REDSLATE

I may be totally wrong, but didnt the ps4 have problems with hdd's over 2tb? recognizing the space, etc? or it's just a size problem?
I did my research going in. That's a problem with external Drives (namely the Nyko). It's due to the way the PlayStation 4 goes about changing the power requirements between active and power-saving modes. External drives often require a separate power supply (In which case, the PS4 can't manipuate it properly).

As this is internally mounted (directly powered), pause/sleep/suspend should work fine.

I heard anything over 2TB isn't good for PS4s that goes into sleep mode, can you comment on this OP?

See above, but I'll test it out more extensively later. Personally, I prefer a full power-down myself anyway (always flip the switch on PS2 and PS3 after shut-down) and will be disabling these features anyway. I only ever use the power-saving feature for long downloads.

This reminds me of that guy who 'modded' his PS3 to increase the IQ of his games. That was a fun thread.

Anyway, good job, this is legitimate instead.

BumRush

I have maybe 7 full sized games on my PS4 plus some indies and I have over half my 500 GB space left. Do you keep like 15-20 large scale games on your HDD at all times? I'd love to throw a bigger drive in mine but I'm not sure I see the need. Genuinely interested in how others handle the space.

Edit: sillyeskimo answered my question

REDSLATE

Couldn't you sand 2.5mm off the top of the inside of the top case enclosure so a 15mm would fit?

Nope, gotta cut it. Also, sanding would require a more in-depth breakdown (you'd have to get under the upper portion of the metal casing), but 2.5mm is thicker than the casing itself.

One can only hope an eventual refresh includes SATA III and space for the taller 2.5" drives.
Believe 2.5" is the width.

$800 SSD for a $400 console.

Hopefully you have a $1200+ gaming rig too, otherwise this seems like overkill tbh

Failed at SA did you?

You missed the following key words and phrases, any one of which would have identified that this is clearly NOT a SSD:
HDD
Rotations/min
Samsung P3

I did exact same thing a couple of months ago. I found a 4TB Seagate Backup Plus for $120 at Best Buy. I put in in the PS4 just as you did, including the cutting of the cage. I then formatted the old PS4 drive via my PC and placed it into the Backup Plus enclosure and plugged it into my Xbone, taking it up to a total of 1TB HD space.

I have half the space remaining at this point. I installed every game I am currently playing as well as a good amount of PS+ games.

At one point I had 72 items DLing in my que on the PS4. It took a total of 26 hours until every game was fully downloaded and patched. Simply installing the games from disc took several hours on its own.

It works great with zero problems.

Melter

I'd do this to my PS4 right away but P.T. must be kept safe so future generations can know what we have lost.

You know you can backup your PS4 storage along with PT on it and restore on new HDD? That's what I did and it worked perfectly. I keep a backup on a usb stick just in case.

kingwingin

Übermatik;188968775 said:
This reminds me of that guy who 'modded' his PS3 to increase the IQ of his games. That was a fun thread.

Anyway, good job, this is legitimate instead.
please give a link. I need to read that

There was a thread a few days back where apperently the new model ps4 can properly read hard drives larger then 2TB. Are use older model owners screwed?

Venom Fox

Banned

I wonder how many will have PT holding their upgrade plans hostage lol.
I was gonna post what Enigma said. They're loads of guides across the Internet on how to back up and restore your HDD. You'll need a flash drive for the PS4 update, an external HDD to back your old content on and a new HDD to restore your old content on.
You can back up P.T. to your new drive.

Top Bottom