• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Internal 4TB PS4... Yeah, it's a thing.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
2TB SSHD's are available that work with PS4. I paid about $80.
Please link me one! The largest I could fine after searching the other day was still the same 1TB ST1000LM014 Seagate, and also one Toshiba, again 1TB.

SSHD, as in hybrid SSD/HDD drive like this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B99JUBQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20
not regular HDD though. I'm aware that there are 2TB 2.5HDDs suitable for PS4.

I'd really like to use SSHD because it provides a pretty significant loading speedup on PS4. In most cases, almost as much as a full SSD.

Tagyhag

Damn OP that's nuts.

I think I'll stick with 500gb though, I only get exclusives on my PS4 and I delete games once I'm done with them.

An external drive update would be cool though, I have a 1TB that I can use as a backup.

StereoVsn

Considering the latest developments with the Nyko addon I am actually considering trading in my launch PS4 for the new model so I can take advantage of larger sizes drives and rest mode.

Cutting PS4 drive cages and such seems too adventurous if not too tough. I mean it's a dremel and a drill but for some reason not feeling it. Which is funny since I wouldn't have hesitated for a sec if I was modding a PC case.

Please link me one! The largest I could fine after searching the other day was still the same 1TB ST1000LM014 Seagate, and also one Toshiba, again 1TB.

I'd really like to use SSHD because it provides a pretty significant loading speedup on PS4. In most cases, almost as much as a full SSD.

Apologies for false hope, I was not thinking about a hybrid drive.

Since I've got both a PS4 and an Xbone, 1TB hybrid-drive is doing nicely for now. But I just know I'll have to upgrade sooner or later. Hopefully to a drive that's better in every way.

#%¥% subscribed, will be picking this HDD model asap. Thought all this time 2tbs was a max limit...thx again for the heads up. I'm %110 digital so this a game changer for me.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

I like my SSHD a lot. Some games I've even noticed some better performance in some games. Planning on picking up a spare eventually, just in case.

Deku Tree

Will be interested to know how this holds up. I have hard other stories that an internal drive larger than 2tb has caused people problems. (Not just the NYKO thing either.)

REDSLATE

This is the drive OP said he used in his post:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152426

$159.

For those interested here's a good review of the drive on a PC:
http://www.storagereview.com/samsung_p3_portable_4tb_review

Pretty good read/write speeds for what it is.

Yep, that's exactly where I got it from.
NewEgg: $159 and free shipping (plus a 5% discount to boot).

#%¥% subscribed, will be picking this HDD model asap. Thought all this time 2tbs was a max limit...thx again for the heads up. I'm %110 digital so this a game changer for me.

No prob, man.
Samsung's a solid brand, and the P3's a great Hard Drive.

Only issue i found with the larger drive is that it makes the shitty cooling of the ps4 worse
i used a 2tb drive about 6 months ago and had to drop it back to a 1tb as the heat from the drive not only caused the ps4 to go hairdryer mode but the heat caused the eject button to heat up and continually eject the disc

im not doing any more drive upgrades until we get a proper ps4 slim that fixes the shiity case design

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

Not true at all. Most of the time it acts like any other 5400rpm drive, the numbers are out there.

Deku Tree

Only issue i found with the larger drive is that it makes the shitty cooling of the ps4 worse
i used a 2tb drive about 6 months ago and had to drop it back to a 1tb as the heat from the drive not only caused the ps4 to go hairdryer mode but the heat caused the eject button to heat up and continually eject the disc

im not doing any more drive upgrades until we get a proper ps4 slim that fixes the shiity case design

Don't really understand why a proper size 2tb would cool worse than a proper size 1tb.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Not true at all. Most of the time it acts like any other 5400rpm drive, the numbers are out there.
I purchased it based on numbers posted back then in some Eurogamer article, and also on my own measurements with stock vs. SSHD drive. Speedup was pretty massive in a few games I measured, and just moderate in some others. But still, it was more than worth it.

Deku Tree

I purchased it based on numbers posted back then in some Eurogamer article, and also on my own measurements with stock vs. SSHD drive. Speedup was pretty massive in a few games I measured, and just moderate in some others. But still, it was more than worth it.

Just about every PS4 speed test thread that I have looked at reports extremely minuscule (like 1-2 seconds) or no difference in loading and boot speeds between an SSHD and a 5400 rpm HDD in a PS4.

Teknoman

Went with the 2TB personally. I know im not going to keep everything physical installed...probably going to have to dial back digital in the long run eventually.

ddikxela

You know you can backup your PS4 storage along with PT on it and restore on new HDD? That's what I did and it worked perfectly. I keep a backup on a usb stick just in case.

You can even restore it to a new PS4 all together. I got PT on my Batman edition console and will probably transfer the back up onto my MGS V console when I come around to pulling that console out of the box and firing it up

i fcuking hate deleting and reinstalling the games that I dont feel like playing now but want to play later

especially when the patches and DLCs are ridiculously big

timmyp53

Here is my space, and the games I currently have installed (about half of my PS4 games, I've beaten the rest).

7CA1C55A-5351-4FEC-BC44-297366A1BB28.jpg

0FE211F8-D8A2-42A8-8F56-618ECBCA0059.jpg

I have a few full size game DLs, like Street Fighter IV & Injustice: Gods Among Us, as well as a handful of smaller PS+ games. Most of the games above have the DLC included as well. I have room to fill though, which is entirely the point. Way too often I would have to juggle what I wanted installed. With the size of patches and DLC this generation, I would have to decide what I wanted to play a day in advance in many cases. It was lame and frustrating to deal with.

Fact: Due to the limited space on my PS4, I was forced to buy a handful of games for my Xbone. NHL 16, Divinity: Original Sin, Lords of the Fallen, and DMC & Sleeping Dogs Definitive Editions. Thankfully, I won't have to do that again.
I absolutely love when people post their collections man. Gives me those good feels.

Pachimari

Wait, is that a matte black cover for the HDD I'm seeing? Where do I get one of those!?

And great on you for the 4TB. I just ran out of space on my 500gb so had to delete lots of stuff I didn't want to delete in order to make space for game installs.

I really need bigger hard drives for both my PS4 and Xbox One.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Spent all day yesterday backing up my 1tb hdd and adding an 2tb hdd to my PS4 took 5hrs + each way. Not to mention how much of a pain it was to format the back up drive to work (note the directions on line don't work needs a master boot record to work). Sony really needs to add a external option.

ddikxela

How do you do this?

If you have super fast connection speeds then the quick way is to delete all data from any games and dlc you have so that only PT remains on your PS4. Grab a flash drive large enough to do a back up of the remaining save data, personal settings info and PT. Find the back up option in the ps4 settings tab and you're halfway sorted

the other half is the hard drive upgrading and finding the restore data option in the ps4 settings tab

DeVeAn

My goodness you guys are silly with this P.T. Deal. I heard the OS didn't even support past 2TB. Props if it works though as its nice not to worry about space.

Listonosh

If you have super fast connection speeds then the quick way is to delete all data from any games and dlc you have so that only PT remains on your PS4. Grab a flash drive large enough to do a back up of the remaining save data, personal settings info and PT. Find the back up option in the ps4 settings tab and you're halfway sorted

the other half is the hard drive upgrading and finding the restore data option in the ps4 settings tab

Dang, gotta be honest. Held off upgrading because I didn't want to delete PT. This helps a ton. Thanks!

So, I just upgraded my PlayStation 4 by installing a 4 TB HDD internally. It feels good to finally have some breathing room as 500 GB on an Eighth Gen console is a fucking joke.

20151212_125501_zpsxhhvhh8f.jpg

Everything's working as intended and I was even able to retain the stock appearace of the console.

20151212_130644_zpswnmyfcma.jpg

I'm chalking this one up as a success!

For those interested:
I used a 15mm tall, 2.5" 4TB Samsung P3 External HDD, which I removed from its enclosure. I believe the PS4 only fits 12.5 mm tall, 2.5" HDDs, and I knew going into this 15mm wasn't going to cut it (figuratively), so I would have to do so instead (literally). I cut the shielding which envelopes the caddy.

As I have a CUH-1200 model, the caddy itself is actually top-mounted on the HDD (believe the 1000/1100 models mount to the bottom). Because of this, the screw mountings won't support a 15mm HDD. Additionally, there's a slight height gap for airflow beneath the bottom of the HDD (as it's typically suspended). As such, I inverted the caddy, using it as a tray, set the new HDD inside it (much like the 1000/1100 models) and aligned it with the SATA connector.

A long-term approach will involve drilling holes to properly mount the HDD with screws, but, for now, I taped the HDD to the tray, and the tray to the console. It's somewhat of a jury-rig, but it's plenty secure.

The casing itself took a bit of effort to reattach, and is ever so slightly bowed outward, though I've put eyes-on, and it's largely imperceptible. Everything is now snuggly fit, which will likely increase heat retention, but not to a degree where it will be damaging. The HDD is only 5400 rotations/min (same as stock Drive), and the 1200 model PS4 runs cooler by design, making any additional heat build-up negatable.

Anyway, yeah. Internal High-Cap PS4 is now a thing!

Why is your tv image so washed out? I think your RGB settings need to be changed. Remember automatic setting doesnt work on ps4 against certain display. Gotta put it on ful or
Imitrd specifically in the ps4s display settings.

Well I already bought a 2 TB and back up P.T. to it. I'm good on the 4 TB. I haven't fully gone all digital yet when it comes to consoles.

REDSLATE

While the CUH-1200 is not "slimmer" than the earlier models, it does resolve the touch sensor issue by replacing them with physical buttons. It also incorporates a generally more efficient design overall. The dimensions are nearly identical.

Wait, is that a matte black cover for the HDD I'm seeing? Where do I get one of those!?

And great on you for the 4TB. I just ran out of space on my 500gb so had to delete lots of stuff I didn't want to delete in order to make space for game installs.

I really need bigger hard drives for both my PS4 and Xbox One.

CUH1200 has matte cover by default.
This is true. Personally, I prefer it over the combination-gloss aesthetic.

If you just want the cover, you can probably snag one on Ebay (though it will likely run a premium). To the best of my knowledge, they're interchangeable.

My goodness you guys are silly with this P.T. Deal. I heard the OS didn't even support past 2TB. Props if it works though as its nice not to worry about space.

Up to 6 TB has been confirmed working. The 2 TB misinformation stems from the fact that most people utilizing HDDs over 2 TB are doing so externally (which is the actual source of incompatibilities).

Why is your tv image so washed out? I think your RGB settings need to be changed. Remember automatic setting doesnt work on ps4 against certain display. Gotta put it on ful or
Imitrd specifically in the ps4s display settings.

It's not... That would be glare. The shades aren't drawn.

My Television is fully calibrated and the PlayStation 4's settings are correct (for both audio and video), but thanks though.

Nakazato

Hey question guys that updates if I put my old ps4 hdd in a enclosure and put the enclosure hhd in the ps4 can I bring the info from the old hdd over ? Or if I back up the old hdd to the new one and put the new one in will all my data be there ?

REDSLATE

Hey question guys that updates if I put my old ps4 hdd in a enclosure and put the enclosure hhd in the ps4 can I bring the info from the old hdd over ? Or if I back up the old hdd to the new one and put the new one in will all my data be there ?

In this instance, you'll likely need a third storage device.

I keep seeing people say that 2TB is the maximum size you'll ever get with a PS4 because of the 12.5mm requirement. Ignoring the hackery that was done in this post, is there some physical limitation that I'm not aware of that prevents a 4TB drive from being 12.5mm? I get that no such thing exists now, but say in a year, or 2 years, whose to say that there won't be a 4TB 12.5mm internal HDD or SSD that will just fit right in?

Cleve

I keep seeing people say that 2TB is the maximum size you'll ever get with a PS4 because of the 12.5mm requirement. Ignoring the hackery that was done in this post, is there some physical limitation that I'm not aware of that prevents a 4TB drive from being 12.5mm? I get that no such thing exists now, but say in a year, or 2 years, whose to say that there won't be a 4TB 12.5mm internal HDD or SSD that will just fit right in?

Theoretically? Data is always getting more dense at the same physical size. There will probably be a 4tb 12.5 drive eventually.

REDSLATE

That's the dilemma with technology, isn't it? If you.wait, something better will come. The real trick is accounting for opportunity cost. How long is too long? At what point is it more beneficial to upgrade now rather than wait? These are all things to consider when upgrading components.

To answer your question, in the next 24 months it's very likely that a smaller form-factor storage device will become available.

Bl@de

Why do you need so much space? Ps4 has no gaems :/

jk^^ nice work but I'm still having no problems with 500gb

Demoskinos

I always look at threads like this and get motivated to do the same myself until I realize all I spend my time playing is Final Fantasy XIV anyways and then I don't bother. Lol.

Wabba

Really want to install a new 2TB harddrive on my PS4. Anybody have any tips on what is the cheapest and best HDD 2TB. And can i just redownload my saves on cloud.

Really want to install a new 2TB harddrive on my PS4. Anybody have any tips on what is the cheapest and best HDD 2TB. And can i just redownload my saves on cloud.

usually the cheaper 2TB external drives(2.5") WD/Seagate work just fine. stripping out the hdd from the case is dead easy, and yes you can just download your saves again from the cloud, exactly what i did

Top Bottom