• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Internal 4TB PS4... Yeah, it's a thing.

chemicals

I want one. But while we're talking about aftermarket hard drives I have a question.. Is it possible to put a solid state drive in a PS3? Does it make a difference?

Can u even fill all that space?

Must be a hard job damn 4TB Jesus christ.

Here is my space, and the games I currently have installed (about half of my PS4 games, I've beaten the rest).

7CA1C55A-5351-4FEC-BC44-297366A1BB28.jpg

0FE211F8-D8A2-42A8-8F56-618ECBCA0059.jpg

I have a few full size game DLs, like Street Fighter IV & Injustice: Gods Among Us, as well as a handful of smaller PS+ games. Most of the games above have the DLC included as well. I have room to fill though, which is entirely the point. Way too often I would have to juggle what I wanted installed. With the size of patches and DLC this generation, I would have to decide what I wanted to play a day in advance in many cases. It was lame and frustrating to deal with.

Fact: Due to the limited space on my PS4, I was forced to buy a handful of games for my Xbone. NHL 16, Divinity: Original Sin, Lords of the Fallen, and DMC & Sleeping Dogs Definitive Editions. Thankfully, I won't have to do that again.

kitch9

Banned
I don't know why it is taking so long for Sony to have external HDD's compatible.

They are doing it on purpose. USB is completely insecure as a standard these days they don't want user data transferring over it.

The ps3 was hacked via the USB port and because of how it is, it would be the first thing would be hackers would go for.

I heard when you go past 2tb hdd, suspend and resume features don't work, is that true?

I run 5 systems through an automatic HDMI switcher. Due to how the switch works (auto switching to the newest powered item), I never use those features because they screw with the switch. I have always powered each console completely down for that reason. If I'm thinking about it later, I will test it out. It never really occurred to me that might be an issue until I read your post.

Plum

Well, I learned that you can backup games on PS4 today.

I have a 500gb external hard drive lying around which is about halfway filled with photo and work backups. Can I use that to backup the games or will it format it/delete stuff? And can I choose specific games to backup (along with all saves of course)? I have decent unlimited internet so redownloading isn't an issue.

Consumer

I have a 1.5TB HDD that's already full, which is pathetic considering I've already deleted ~10 games and I don't even buy new games until several months later. Not to mention the console gen is not even halfway over.

There are a few games I can't even download yet because there's nothing I can delete at this time -- everything on my PS4 has a fun, worthwhile multiplayer component, or I haven't finished playing it yet.

500GB is definitely a fucking joke. Sony should've just sold the PS4 without an HDD to reduce its price. They should consider doing this for the PS5 so we don't have to waste more money to replace the default HDD we know won't be sufficient for an entire generation.

REDSLATE

I did exact same thing a couple of months ago. I found a 4TB Seagate Backup Plus for $120 at Best Buy. I put in in the PS4 just as you did, including the cutting of the cage. I then formatted the old PS4 drive via my PC and placed it into the Backup Plus enclosure and plugged it into my Xbone, taking it up to a total of 1TB HD space.

I have half the space remaining at this point. I installed every game I am currently playing as well as a good amount of PS+ games.

At one point I had 72 items DLing in my que on the PS4. It took a total of 26 hours until every game was fully downloaded and patched. Simply installing the games from disc took several hours on its own.

It works great with zero problems.

Awesome, man. Is yours a 1000 or 1100 model? From the photos I looked at, the older model PS4s are likely more conducive to cutting the older enclosure and securing the HDD. Any concerns with heat?

Well, I learned that you can backup games on PS4 today.

I have a 500gb external hard drive lying around which is about halfway filled with photo and work backups. Can I use that to backup the games or will it format it/delete stuff? And can I choose specific games to backup (along with all saves of course)? I have decent unlimited internet so redownloading isn't an issue.

If its FAT32 you can use it without reformatting.

That's crazy but I think if you want to store all your games across the generation this is what you'll need.

I have 1tb + 2TB on my xb1 and I'm 3/4 full and will definitely hit the wall at some point especially with things like Ea Access and gWg.

Makes sense to just throw 4gb in and forget about it since it's kind of a pita to throw in a new hard drive with ps4.

Vol5

Would like to know the model and make of the HDD OP. Mean time to failure and all that.

Edit: I should learn to read

I did my research going in. That's a problem with external Drives (namely the Nyko). It's due to the way the PlayStation 4 goes about changing the power requirements between active and power-saving modes. External drives often require a separate power supply (In which case, the PS4 can't manipuate it properly).

As this is internally mounted (directly powered), pause/sleep/suspend should work fine.
Ooooh, i see. congrats to get it working then :) Wish you could post what happened to the ps4 inside, buy i bet that would be a chore, so no need to.

I'd do this to my PS4 right away but P.T. must be kept safe so future generations can know what we have lost.

It is quite easy to backup PT to a USB drive, and restore it after reinstalling a HD. Takes about an hour to replace a drive if it is your first time. It is not worth sticking to 500GB.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I can't wait for the 1.5+TB SSHD drive to come out. As is, I have to keep deleting one game every time I want to download a new one now (I'm on 1TB SSHD right now)

Awesome, man. Is yours a 1000 or 1100 model? From the photos I looked at, the older model PS4s are likely more conducive to cutting the older enclosure and securing the HDD. Any concerns with heat?

Launch PS4. Total project time was around 30 minutes. No issues with heat. I've done plenty of 8hr marathons on Witcher 3 and Diablo 3 in that time. No issues at all.

Currently splitting my time between Fallout 4, Just Cause 3, and Batman with Battlefront & CoD: BO3 multiplayer inbetween. The system has definitely been put through it's paces.

$800 SSD for a $400 console.

Hopefully you have a $1200+ gaming rig too, otherwise this seems like overkill tbh

?

First of all, what $800 SSD? The Samsung P3 a) isn't an SSD b) is under 200$ at most online retailers c) was mentioned right there in the OP, did you read it?

Certinty

Damn 4TB seems like the perfect size.

I have a 2TB in my PS4 and I've used about 1.2TB of it already and I haven't even reinstalled some of my games.

modalife

Banned
4TB AND it's internal? Going on my to do list, since my library is quickly growing.

Edit: I misread, I guess an internal 2TB hybrid sounds more appealing,

Still rocking my 80GB PS3 and don't find it a problem.

Games did not have required installs last gen. I have 300 360 games I can put in either of my xboxes and simply play them.

All that changed with the current gen. Not to mention the fact that patches today are larger than entire games were last gen. All that adds up really fast. BF4 with all dlc is like 75GB on its own.

I bought my PS4 on BF and the HD (500gb) is already full. I still have the Nathan Drake Collection, Arkham Knight, Killzone: SF and Infamous: SS coming in the mail, so I'm fucked.

REDSLATE

Launch PS4. Total project time was around 30 minutes. No issues with heat. I've done plenty of 8hr marathons on Witcher 3 and Diablo 3 in that time. No issues at all.

Currently splitting my time between Fallout 4, Just Cause 3, and Batman with Battlefront & CoD: BO3 multiplayer inbetween. The system has definitely been put through it's paces.

Sweet.

Nice work OP - got any pics of the changes you made to the drive enclosure?

Yeah, but not with the HDD resting inside. Closing it up was a but of a tight fit. So I likely won't be opening it anytime soon. Good news is the tight fit will ensure the HDD stays in place.

20151212_123538_zpsdghmduiz.jpg

Wagram

Games did not have required installs last gen. I have 300 360 games I can put in either of my xboxes and simply play them.

All that changed with the current gen. Not to mention the fact that patches today are larger than entire games were last gen. All that adds up really fast. BF4 with all dlc is like 75GB on its own.

That's true to an extent, but even so I will never fill 100GB on my PS4. When i'm done I delete.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
If you really keep your PS4 on the carpet like that normally it won't last long enough to fill the 4TB, at least quietly.

Sweet.

Yeah, but not with the HDD resting inside. Closing it up was a but of a tight fit. So I likely won't be opening it anytime soon. Good news is the tight fit will ensure the HDD stays in place.

20151212_123538_zpsdghmduiz.jpg

Your interior looks better than mine. The enclosure is indeed a really tight squeeze, so it insures the HD isn't going anywhere. It also ensures I won't be opening it to take pics, lol.

Top Bottom