• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Matt-IGN "Nintendo may announce a new Kid Icarus for Wii (at GC 2006)"

koam

I know this was posted in the Leipzig thread but i think it deserved it's own thread.

Matt-IGN said:
Don't pass out or anything. This is really JUST a rumor at this point and we have no reason to believe it's true. But that said, one of the things floating around GC 2006 right now is that Nintendo may announce a new Kid Icarus for Wii.

Again, a rumor. R-U-M-O-R. And it's more likely to be false than not, which is why I'm merely posting it to the boards right now.

Say it with me: Rumor.

Good. Now that we have that out of the way, sure would be pretty cool if it could, by some chance, turn out to be true.

Matt

http://boards.ign.com/nintendo_wii_general_board/b8263/125252370/p1/?46

koam said:
I know this was posted in the Leipzig thread but i think it deserved it's own thread.

http://boards.ign.com/nintendo_wii_general_board/b8263/125252370/p1/?46

What type of game do you think a new Kid Icarus would be? A 3rd person Adventure game?

I've always wanted another Kid Icarus that was much like the original...but 'Super Metroid-ified'. More areas, exploration, better graphics, badder bosses, that type of thing. Of course, if they were to do a game like that now, it would be a DS game or something like that.

Wouldn't surprise me, but I don't think this is the type of place they'd reveal Kid Icarus for the Wii. We all know it's going to happen, but I'm just not sure it'd be here.

Gigglepoo

Oldschoolgamer said:
When is TGS?

Next month

Nintendo is not showing up, though. Are you?

Rocked said:
I don't really trust him.

Did you read what he said? What's not to trust? He says it probably won't be announced but there is a slight chance. Is that really unbelievable?

People just read IGN and assume the story is a lie. IGN did nothing to deserve that rep.

SantaC

This is not surprising since they have the Kid Icarus model down already (from SSBB)

Hope it's true.

snatches

Well the latest Nintendo Dream does have that Kid Icarus feature/retrospective.....

This seems like a "duh" rumor. Everyone has been playing this up since the SSB trailer at e3 with the new Icarus model. It will happen eventually.

koam

SonicMegaDrive said:
What type of game do you think a new Kid Icarus would be? A 3rd person Adventure game?

I've always wanted another Kid Icarus that was much like the original...but 'Super Metroid-ified'. More areas, exploration, better graphics, badder bosses, that type of thing. Of course, if they were to do a game like that now, it would be a DS game or something like that.

I'm hoping that's a Retro-made 3rd person adventure and they'll use it to test the waters for a non-FPS metroid game.

I wonder what team will handle this. Can't be EAD or HAL. Maybe NST? It better not be outsourced to Namco or Sega. Capcom would be good. Actually, Kid Icarus with the RE4 engine would totally rock. (The gameplay engine, not the graphics one).

SantaC

snatches said:
This seems like a "duh" rumor. Everyone has been playing this up since the SSB trailer at e3 with the new Icarus model. It will happen eventually.

But a new Kid Icarus has been rumored from the Snes days, and it hasn't happend.

I wonder what team will handle this. Can't be EAD or HAL. Maybe NST?

No thanks.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Kid Icarus was before my time, can anyone tell me what was so special about it?

snatches

koam said:
I'm hoping that's a Retro-made 3rd person adventure and they'll use it to test the waters for a non-FPS metroid game.

I wonder what team will handle this. Can't be EAD or HAL. Maybe NST? It better not be outsourced to Namco or Sega. Capcom would be good. Actually, Kid Icarus with the RE4 engine would totally rock. (The gameplay engine, not the graphics one).

Ok the first part made sense. Not likely, but that would be really awesome.
The second part is like all kinds of W.T.F.

seriously.

how would the RE4 gameplay engine make sense for KI? Actually, don't even bother
answering that.

Gigglepoo

BorkBork said:

cr_kidicarus_007.jpg

PolyGone

Banned
BorkBork said:

read this its a review with pictures and a nice bit of artwork from various rumored versions, such as fakes on the DS and GBA and box arts and etc.

koam

BrandNew said:
Er...what? :lol

Over the shoulder perspective would work best with the bow/arrow (see krauser in RE4). They'd just need to make it a bit more fast paced. Graphics need to be cellshaded or cartoony.

The game is a corridor shooter, much like Metroid. It's either this, or they'll just use the metroid prime 3 engine but with Pitt instead of Samus.

Gigglepoo

koam said:
Over the shoulder perspective would work best with the bow/arrow (see krauser in RE4). They'd just need to make it a bit more fast paced. Graphics need to be cellshaded or cartoony.

Pit flies

snatches

koam said:

Yes, I agree. Using a completely different engine would make sense.

BorkBork said:

It was created by Gunpei Yokoi, who also did the original Metroid. It is a bit like Metroid, in that much of the platforming is done by climbing up or down, except for the labyrinth stages. Unlike Metroid, it was level-based, and wasn't one gigantic level. I would think most people who play this game for the first time today wouldn't think it was such a big deal. But in 1986, when it was released on the FDS system, it was pretty darn good.

BorkBork said:

Basically a Metroid like game...in fact almsot the same, only not as varied and as big. Also a Gunpei game, just like Metroid. Not really as popular or as good, really, but it was still a fun game. It's too good of an IP to pass up for graphic engines these days, as they can do ****ing wonders with it's setting.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Zerodoppler said:
If true, I hope it's a simple 2d version downloadable for the virtual console.

Do you hate new games or something?

pswii60

A new Kid Icarus would be fanbloodytastic.

But, surely it'd only be GAF + MattIGN who would actually buy it? Or do you think it'll have some AC:WW magic to shoot in to the top 10 for weeks on end?

PolyGone

Banned
pswii60 said:
A new Kid Icarus would be fanbloodytastic.

But, surely it'd only be GAF + MattIGN who would actually buy it? Or do you think it'll have some AC:WW magic to shoot in to the top 10 for weeks on end?

Kid Icarus will sell to anyone unfamiliar to the series who play the new Smash Bros.

fresquito

koam said:

Would be weird using the engine of a game that don´t have jump in a game featuring a main character that flies.

snatches

koam said:
I said gameplay engine not graphics :p

Right. Using a completely different gameplay engine would make sense.

and to people who doubt this IP's modern application, just think about how this could
be the killer app for the Wii's control scheme. It would be an awesome control scheme
for flight control with intuitive aiming. This is the time for Nintendo to remake this classic.

Xrenity

Matt's laughing his ass of at this very moment.

He called it a RUMOR R U M O R RUMOOOORRRR, LIKELY NOT TRUEEEE and it still gets this much attention.

Xrenity said:

He called it a RUMOR R U M O R RUMOOOORRRR, LIKELY NOT TRUEEEE and it still gets this much attention.

But it's so obvious it's going to happen. Maybe not this week, but sometime in the Wii's lifetime. They've hinted at it last year, he's in Brawl now, and it's going to be a virtual console game...smells like a perfect opportunity to release a new game for the series with these opportunities.

koam

snatches said:
Right. Using a completely different gameplay engine would make sense.

and to people who doubt this IP's modern application, just think about how this could
be the killer app for the Wii's control scheme. It would be an awesome control scheme
for flight control with intuitive aiming. This is the time for Nintendo to remake this classic.

"Hugh Jass" :p

PolyGone

Banned
Xrenity said:

You'd think it'd have to be fake because of NDAs, there's no way Nintendo would be happy with him spilling the beans ahead of time. But maybe the was calling it a RUMOR R U M O R RUMOOOORRRR, LIKELY NOT TRUEEEE to cover his ass.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
BrandNew said:
But it's so obvious it's going to happen. Maybe not this week, but sometime in the Wii's lifetime. They've hinted at it last year, he's in Brawl now, and it's going to be a virtual console game...smells like a perfect opportunity to release a new game for the series with these opportunities.

I would love to see a new Kid Icarus. I would love to see some remakes of those old detective games for Famicom that never hit the states.

Top Bottom