• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[WSJ] Rocket League has made ~$50M on ~$2M budget, More famous cars in talks(KITT)

Kayant

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2015/12/17/how-rocket-league-became-2015s-surprise-videogame-hit/

“Rocket League” has raked in nearly $50 million in revenue and amassed more than 8 million registered players since its July launch on PCs and Sony Corp.6758.TO -0.20%’s PlayStation 4 console, Psyonix Inc., its developer, said.

It wasn’t clear “Rocket League” would be a success, either. Psyonix spent about two years and a little less than $2 million making the game in between doing contract work for larger companies, the studio’s founder and chief, Dave Hagewood, said.

Universal and Psyonix agreed to share revenue for sales of the DeLorean. “It didn’t really sink in until they told me they had to get Steven Spielberg’s approval,” Mr. Hagewood said. (Mr. Spielberg’s Amblin Entertainment, which has the rights, said yes.)

They are in talks to bring other famous vehicles to “Rocket League,” possibly including KITT from “Knight Rider,” according to Bill Kispert, an executive vice president at Comcast Corp.CMCSA -1.05%’s Universal.

Well deserved. Lock if old.

wowzors

Depresses me reading this only 50 million for a fantastic game. Game of war and all that shit makes 50 million in a couple of hours.

kiguel182

One of the best games of the year, they deserve it for sure.

They also do DLC in a real cool way so it's extra nice to see them succeed.

EGOMON

Great game well deserved now make a Car Combat game using same engine and driving physics just with weapons

I wonder how much of that success can be attributed to being in the Instant Games Collection on Plus. Didn't they move like 4M copies through there? That's a hell of a lot of word of mouth for a weird, sci-fi sports game to get.

Since it was a psn+ game I was wondering how much they made. That's quite a few of the registered users who got it for free.

They still get reimbursed for PS+ Downloads. But I think the only real price point we have ever gotten was that Phil Fish got $3 a copy when Fez was part of the program. We learned that from, unfortunately, his information being dumped publicly.

It's one of those things we don't usually learn. But developers, as far as I know, are still paid.

Since it was a psn+ game I was wondering how much they made. That's quite a few of the registered users who got it for free.

Yeah but the game sold 2M copies on PC, I don't remember it being discounted to less then 15$. With a 30% cut from steam that's 21M just on PC. That's without the PS4 and the DLC on both platform.

Durante

Well, they should have made more than half of that revenue on PS4, so clearly they are being paid for the PS+ copies, just not nearly as much as it sells for.

JCX

Feel bad considering I haven't paid a dime for it so far (PS+). Might buy some DLC just to support it.

VAwP63D.jpg

Depresses me reading this only 50 million for a fantastic game. Game of war and all that shit makes 50 million in a couple of hours.
Well, it only cost them $2M to make, so I wouldn't feel too bad for them. ;)

They still get reimbursed for PS+ Downloads. But I think the only real price point we have ever gotten was that Phil Fish for $3 a copy when Fez was part of the program. We learned that from, unfortunately, his information being dumped publicly.

It's one of those things we don't usually learn. But developers, as far as I know, are still paid.
Oh, wow. $3 a copy? That's actually pretty good. So if they moved 4M on Plus, that's $12M right there, which is a 500% ROI on "zero" sales. (Not 600%, right?) Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, to be sure.

Glad to hear they have found success. I know that I'm going to let my PS+ subscription lapse briefly just so that I can officially buy this game. These guys deserve it.

They are in talks to bring other famous vehicles to “Rocket League,” possibly including KITT from “Knight Rider,”

Yeah I hope they do more of this kind of thing. I'm thinking the Ecto-1, A-Team van, and [TRIGGER WARNING] the General Lee. Shoot that nostalgia into my veins!

Edit: Also, the submersible Lotus Esprit from The Spy Who Loved Me – the little fins could pop out when the car is in the air.

Top Bottom