• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now that we know price of Ocolus, which others are expected to cost more/less and why

Z3M0G

Ocolus Rift = 599 USD (reaction thread is moving FAST)

From what we know (specs, add-ons, screensize, etc) about the other devices (PSVR, Vive, etc), which ones are we confident to cost more than that, and which are guaranteed to cost less? And what would be the clear/obvious reasons for that? (Going by how much we know today.)

Not by how much, just if more or less...

Crazy to think, that compared to this, someone with a new Galaxy phone can do VR for, what, $100...?

OneUh8

PSVR probably the only one that will be cheaper. I can see Vive actually being the most expensive possibly.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
"Crazy to think, that compared to this, someone with a new Galaxy phone can do VR for, what, $100...?"

From my experience, Gear VR is ultimately like 1/6th as good as a proper Rift / Vive game.

PSVR will cost $500. No way they can go lower than that without selling at a big loss. And if they go any higher, it will flop.

Vive will likely be higher, around $800. It's a more premium experience, at least that's how it's being billed.

I find it hard to make an estimate for the PSVR because of the necessary PS camera. Other people include the PS Move, but it is not required like camera. With all this in mind, my estimate for the PSVR with the PS Camera and Move is $450.

mnannola

PSVR is most likely using a cheaper to make screen, but they have a breakout box. I would expect the PSVR + Move + Camera to be in the 500-600 range.

Vive will be at least $599. They are including the lightboxes and controllers, with a comparable screen I believe. They also don't have facebook cash, so I would bet on Vive being more expensive. Lets say $799.

finalflame

Gold Member
Ocolus Rift = 599 USD (reaction thread is moving FAST)

From what we know (specs, add-ons, screensize, etc) about the other devices (PSVR, Vive, etc), which ones are we confident to cost more than that, and which are guaranteed to cost less?

Not by how much, just if more or less...

Crazy to think, that compared to this, someone with a new Galaxy phone can do VR for, what, $100...?

The experience on Gear VR is not even remotely comparable to Oculus or even PSVR. The hardware required to run a Gear is a $699 phone. Gear is just plastic and some lenses.

I expect to see Vive at 699. PSVR at 499. PSVR will deliver a greatly inferior VR experience but it's passable. Vive will have some additional bells and whistles for people who want the "super top end" mainstream.

I still believe the Oculus will be the leading platform for enthusiasts and early adopters, but PSVR will give more of the mainstream a "taste" of VR, but it'll be a far inferior experience than a $599 Oculus + 1k VR Ready PC (970, i5).

VR Is new exciting tech. It's not meant to be cheap or super accessible yet. People will buy it and for Gen 2 I believe we'll see 399, maybe 299.

ps3ud0

From what I read in other threads, it seemed like

Vive > Oculus Rift > PSVR
Yeah I expect Vive to more than even Rift+OT (so min $699/£550). PSVR won't be much cheaper but I guess Sony could subsidise the purchase because they'll make money off the games. Hoping it's more like $450/£350.

Still for what you get its worth it but with the multitude of revisions expected its a difficult purchase for some.

EDIT: Estimating with the full package and not just the headset alone

ps3ud0 8)

I'm sticking with my $250-300 estimate for PSVR. I have no idea about Vive or any other PC HMDs.

I hope nobody takes Gear VR seriously.
Why? It's really cool and budget priced. Plus there's something to be said about a wireless VR system.

Vive will probably be even more expensive because of the Lighthouse tech. :(
Still, I hope all 3 make a decent beachhead in the market.
First blu ray was $1000 and people cried about it being DOA, etc.
In 2-3 VR will be even better than today and cheaper. I'm fully optimistic. :)

Comparing the Gear VR to the Rift without taking into account the cost of a Samsung phone is a foolish idea. Of course the product that doesn't have any actual display built into it is going to be cheaper than the one that does, that's like saying a slice of bread is cheaper than a Subway.

No one knows what the manufacturing costs are. Unless you do...

It's not just about manufacturing costs, it's about appearances too. They can't sell too much lower than Oculus because then their product looks inferior purely from a price point perspective.

If Oculus can't get manufacturing costs low enough to charge less than $600 for it, I wouldn't expect Sony to be able to be able to make up much of this difference, especially considering they also have to manufacture an outside power source that the Oculus doesn't have. Unless they sell a widely inferior product, which totally won't stand with today's console gamers, most of whom went to Sony in the first place for the technical advantage over Xbox.

Lingitiz

PSVR must bundle the camera, move, and a breakout box right? I can't see that being under $400.

Vive will probably be the most expensive but it's possible it could match the Oculus price.

PSVR will cost $500. No way they can go lower than that without selling at a big loss. And if they go any higher, it will flop.

Vive will likely be higher, around $800. It's a more premium experience, at least that's how it's being billed.

PSVR cost based on what?

Will place a bet that it will be 399, same cost as a PS4 at launch.

They gave that hint when they stated it will be around the cost of a system.

Much crow will be eaten around here, heard the same nonsense before PS4 price was announced "GDDR5 means it will cost a fortune, more than X1" etc.

It's not just about manufacturing costs, it's about appearances too. They can't sell too much lower than Oculus because then their product looks inferior purely from a price point perspective.

If Oculus can't get manufacturing costs low enough to charge less than $600 for it, I wouldn't expect Sony to be able to be able to make up much of this difference, especially considering they also manufacture an outside power source that the Oculus doesn't have. Unless they sell a widely inferior product...

Sony isn't selling PSVR to the same crowd of people willing to pay $600 for a piece of kit that only works on a $1000+ gaming PC. Average Dad isn't going to be eyeballing an Oculus and a PSVR in a Best Buy when both are available, he's going to be looking at the cost of the PSVR as compared to the cost of his PS4.

Z3M0G

"Crazy to think, that compared to this, someone with a new Galaxy phone can do VR for, what, $100...?"

From my experience, Gear VR is ultimately like 1/6th as good as a proper Rift / Vive game.

1/6th the experience for 1/6th the cost (I'm sure that was your point)

OnPoint

Yeah I expect Vive to more than even Rift+OT (so min $699/£575). PSVR won't be much cheaper but I guess Sony could subsidise the purchase because they'll make money off the games. Hoping it's more like $450/£350)

Still for what you get its worth it but with the multitude of revisions expected its a difficult purchase for some.

ps3ud0 8)

Sony's played it smart here, seeing what the market determines is an acceptable price.I think they'll only subsidize it if they have to (and honestly, I think they might).

Also, stop signing your posts. Been catching these all week... You look just like DCX, who looks, well... silly lol

El-Suave

Do the others have the same business model as Sony, meaning they'll get income from license fees on every game that's sold? That could justify Sony taking a loss when they sell the hardware. I would expect PSVR to be priced at $400 now, would have said $50 less before today.

Melon Husk

Same price for the Vive would give a good reason to make Lord Gaben a saint.

I mean, Valve has paid for most of the R&D and software?

DrArchon

I don't think any want to cost more, so I think it's going to be a question of less or same price.

PSVR should be in the $400 range I'd hope. Not sure about Vive.

Sony isn't selling PSVR to the same crowd of people willing to pay $600 for a piece of kit that only works on a $1000+ gaming PC. Average Dad isn't going to be eyeballing an Oculus and a PSVR in a Best Buy when both are available, he's going to be looking at the cost of the PSVR as compared to the cost of his PS4.

Exactly why that narrative of the quoted poster makes zero sense.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!

Taco_Man

Banned
I couldn't see Sony putting PSVR at the same price as this or even close. They know what happened when they released PS3 at such a huge price point and now that they've finally got so much momentum behind them they wouldn't want to hinder that with a high price on PSVR. Therefore for PSVR I'd say $400-$450 max.

Vive may be able to stick around this same price given their functionality. They seem to have more to offer than Oculus or PSVR and therefore could easily sell at $600 as well. If they happen to sell at $600 or even lower then things will get interesting for Oculus.

Either way the focus right now should be more on the experience. These things aren't being released for the general public. Look at the marketing being done, it is all targeted to the people who know about gaming/tech and are willing to spend this much or more on some new piece of hardware.

If you can't afford it or think the price it outrageous just don't buy it, without sales they won't keep making it and you'll be happy. I, however, think VR will continue to push forward and be a much more widely known and accepted form of entertainment in a few more years.

PSVR cheapest with Vive most expensive...unless they pull a stunner and undercut Occulus. But I don't see that happening.

One thing I'm pretty sure of now,is that I'm not going to buy one for awhile,so I'm waiting instead for Nvidia's and Amd's new graphics cards.

That is if PSVR is in 400 range,so I'm hoping they shock me and go cheap.

Same price for the Vive would give a good reason to make Lord Gaben a saint.

I mean, Valve has paid for most of the R&D and software?

They have said from the start they were going for the no compromises and that it will be a premium experience.

It likely won't be the same.

Radec

Price appearances can be deceiving in the gaming world.

PS4 $399
Xbone $499

PS3 $599
360 $399

I don't think Average Dad is the target audience for this product because Average Dad wouldn't likely be willing to drop even the cost of a PS4 to try out a handful of smaller VR games. I'd expect the immediate target is the first-adopter/tech enthusiast crowd, who is willing to drop -- let's face it -- a substantial amount of money for something new and exciting.

muu

The cost probably won't put one over another at this point. Mainstream demand just isn't there, and likely won't be for some time.

Elandyll

Banned

PSVR, I think, will probably launch at $399 and possibly (but less) even $299.

We are talking about 1x 1920x1080 OLED pannel, vs 2 for the Rift.
For Sony, said pannel will also benefit from economy of scale from their phone business, the camera itself being already a ps4 accessory, and having built in positionning devices in controllers and the holdover ps3 move controllers.

Vive will also benefit from HTC phone biz, but they are aiming for high end specs, which makes me think we might see a second $599 headset.

Melon Husk

They have said from the start they were going for the no compromises and that it will be a premium experience.

It likely won't be the same.

I don't see why not, I'd wager the two lighthouse blocks cost less to manufacture than Oculus' IR camera.

Whatever happens, Sony wins the year of the VR.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
PSVR will be cheaper being also the lower tech among the three and also providing the "worse" VR experience among them. Still I can't see it be cheap. Maybe $399.

Vive should be more expensive, having more packaged in and slightly better tech. If they manage somehow to match Rift's price or at least the price of Rift+Touch, Vive would offer a much better value for money.

I could see PSVR being $400. Maybe $349. I don't Sony is dumb enough to drop another $600 bomb like with the PS3. VR is gonna be expensive, hopefully there are enough early adopters to keep it going until there is a price drop or something.

daman824

People are kidding themselves if they think psvr will cost $250-$300 with everything you're going to need to get started.

It's going to be $400. And that's still $200 cheaper than oculus. That being said, I really don't see this truly taking off until the next console cycle now.

Top Bottom