• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now that we know price of Ocolus, which others are expected to cost more/less and why

I expect Vive to cost the same, minus controllers and full games (but plentiful stuff on Steam).

PSVR I'm hoping to see at $299-399 for the standalone headset and breakout box and a handful of demos/experiences, with additional bundling to include PS camera (normally $60) and 1 or 2 move controllers for $100 more.

MSMrRound

At Gamestart 2015 here in Singapore, questionnaires that PlaystationAsia staff handed out to us asked those of us who tried VR...how much would we pay for the PlaystationVR?

I noticed they were vaguely suggesting between SGD$299 to $399. With the price of a Ps4 dropping to SGD$499, I don't think they are going to go above that...

wapplew

From the other thread, I hope some Chinese company decide to join the VR party and make dirt cheap VR just slightly less quality.
Then we will get mainstream price for VR.

UrbanRats

From the other thread, I hope some Chinese company decide to join the VR party and make dirt cheap VR just slightly less quality.
Then we will get mainstream price for VR.

You mean google cardboard? I mean, "slightly less quality than Oculus" would be PSVR, probably.
Dirt cheap would be Cardboard.
In between you have GearVR.

Assuming PSVR is going to be cheaper than Rift, that is.

Cmagus

I honestly don't think 599.99 is a bad price if you live in the US but outside the US that price doesn't convert well right now. Honestly a lot of people who are mad are people who don't live in the US and with the different exchange rates and extra taxes that price is almost double.

I'm still interested but the Canadian dollar is garbage right now so I'll wait on it for awhile and hopefully some get sent out to retailers where it may cut costs or until they announce a full working Minecraft with it lol.

I'm also curious to see what Sony does but the appeal of Cculus for me is that it's on PC which provides a wider use. I'm sure someone will get PSVR working on PC but how that works out who knows.

Tankard

$300 is a already a lot of money to invest a new tech, at this price i think they have a huge battle to sell these VRs, and now it seems like we aren't even close to this price, i guess when they said this will take a while to take off, i underestimated how long that was.

diffusionx

Gold Member
PSVR: $500
Vive: $800

I'm basing this on the fact that the hardware is broadly similar and I really don't think Oculus is chasing profit. I think this is just a really expensive thing to do right now.

NahaNago

psvr will cost $399 or below is my guess simply because i just don't see them selling an accessory for the ps4 that costs more than it.

wapplew

You mean google cardboard? I mean, "slightly less quality than Oculus" would be PSVR, probably.
Dirt cheap would be Cardboard.
In between you have GearVR.

Assuming PSVR is going to be cheaper than Rift, that is.

No, I mean dirt cheap VR headset by Chinese company like Huawei, Xiao mi or ZTE etc.
They are able to produce almost premium product and selling 1/3 of everyone else. They are the main force to push price down.

PSVR: $500
Vive: $800

I'm basing this on the fact that the hardware is broadly similar and I really don't think Oculus is chasing profit. I think this is just a really expensive thing to do right now.
Don't forget that Sony already makes screens and optics like the ones in PSVR, meaning they have the manufacturing precedence to create at a reduced cost. However, the PSVR also requires the PS Camera (which some people have, but most don't).

MaDKaT

PSVR : $349-99 - Because of what they can leverage as a manufacture

Vive : $699-799 - They seem to be targeting the highest end users.

Jisgsaw

hoping for 299 for psvr.

I don't see that happen.

My best guess would be 400€, maybe 450€, but also a PS4+PSVR bundle for like 600-650€.
Sony can afford to cut on the profits, as the PSVR is tied to their ecosystem.

I do hope it'll cheap enough to assure VR support from developpers; Vive and Oculus will be too niche for that I'd guess, though most probably a much better experience than an inferior headset having to run on a PS4.

PSVR will cost $500. No way they can go lower than that without selling at a big loss. And if they go any higher, it will flop.

Vive will likely be higher, around $800. It's a more premium experience, at least that's how it's being billed.

I would be utterly shocked it PSVR was 500

My guess is $300

Soi-Fong

I don't see that happen.

My best guess would be 400€, maybe 450€, but also a PS4+PSVR bundle for like 600-650€.
Sony can afford to cut on the profits, as the PSVR is tied to their ecosystem.

I do hope it'll cheap enough to assure VR support from developpers; Vive and Oculus will be too niche for that I'd guess, though most probably a much better experience than an inferior headset having to run on a PS4.

I can see it happening. Sony can afford that price point. Introduce at $300 and the Rift and Vive will have no chance.

Nobody will give a shit how better the Rift and Vive are to the PSVR when they'll also cost twice or in Vive's case probably 3 times as much.

Plum

When can we expect prices and release dates for the other two devices?

Sony's CES conference has been and gone without a word and Valve/HTC hasn't got anything lined up in my knowledge.

I'm hoping/expecting £350 for the PSVR (if that's the case I'm cancelling OR and getting that) and expecting £600-£700 for the Vive.

Liamario

Banned
PSVR needs to be at 300€. Otherwise they can forget about it. I just don't think the hype is there. The tech seems to be garnering praise, but do the general audience know or even care?

Melon Husk

HTC have to manufacture only three things: One headset, two controllers, two lighthouses.

It won't cost less, but it's possible it won't be more than the Rift.

Plasma

Banned
I really hope the Vive is cheaper, £499 for an Occulus is just to much for me to justify paying right now.

StereoVsn

Sony will most likely come in at $399 for the headset and maybe $475 for the bundle with camera and two move controllers. They can't go more expensive then that.

Vive will be more expensive since they are including two nice touch controllers and better room scale detection but they are not including some Xbone controller or games so I can see $650 - $750 for the total package.

All of the above is for US so YMMV for Canada, UK, AU and continental Europe.

Surely PSVR will be significantly cheaper?

Like PS4 it will have been built with a price in mind from day one. What was said back in the early days? Something like "..... as soon as we can for as cheap as we can....."

I feel Oculus Rift have created their technology and then settled on a price, with a decent mark-up, afterwards.

The thing muddying the water for PSVR is the additional bits of kit required that some of us already own (camera/Move)

Hopefully they will be sensible and come in at £300/$350/€350 - at least for a standalone SKU.

UrbanRats

No, I mean dirt cheap VR headset by Chinese company like Huawei, Xiao mi or ZTE etc.
They are able to produce almost premium product and selling 1/3 of everyone else. They are the main force to push price down.

Probably what i'll have to wait for, if all the headsets end up being upwards of 800€ between customs and shit.

BibiMaghoo

For Sony I expect 3 bundles.

1) Stand alone - £300
2) With camera and Tv mount- £350
3) With 2 Move, camera, mount and launch game- £400

PSVR will cost $500. No way they can go lower than that without selling at a big loss. And if they go any higher, it will flop.

Vive will likely be higher, around $800. It's a more premium experience, at least that's how it's being billed.

PSVR would be DoA at $500.

$400 seems far more likely now, and that's not a price I'm thrilled about. $300 is the sweet spot, and I think it would do gangbusters. But with this OR precedent, $400 seems likely.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
What part of the PSVR assembly do you figure will cost more then they entirety of a PS4? Particularly since we know Sony will be looking to make money of the software and not the hardware.

How bigger do you think the PSVR market will be and how many exclusive VR games they have to sell to make money from software for VR to cover all the cost with VR?

Before answering, look at the sales of 1st party games on the 35 million PS4.

So here's the thing I don't understand. Back before Facebook bought them out, I doubt Oculus were selling dev kits at a loss. So how is it that they could get a relatively short run of those built at under $400 each?

Even if the release model has some more tech in it, shouldn't the fact that they're tooled for full production and have that big Facebook money put us somewhere close to the $350 figure that we're supposed to be in the ballpark of? Where's that extra $250 per HMD going? A webcam and a set of clip on headphones don't seem like they'd eat that much.

Falchion

PSVR is the most interesting for me now that the $600 price point has been announced. If it can deliver similar quality as Oculus for less, I might be in.

novablue

Banned
They could do this.

They make profit from selling both PSVR and the PS4 to go with it. Oculus/Vive don't make PC's that the headsets require so their options are less.

It probably wouldn't work out for them if they did that without reviews saying the PSVR is good.

cyba89

What part of the PSVR assembly do you figure will cost more then they entirety of a PS4? Particularly since we know Sony will be looking to make money of the software and not the hardware.

How do you think can Sony offer a VR device for half the money of what the competition asks? (unless there is a huge gap in quality)

It can't.

The quality of the tech may well be similar, but it will be operating at a lower resolution, and will obviously be optimized for and driven by something that is a fraction of the cost of the sort of PC oculus is suggesting. How far apart those experiences will be for the average user is yet to be seen though.

phanphare

Banned
well one thing's for sure

there's no way Sony will charge $599 for a gaming platform ever again

so they'll likely come in cheaper. I'm personally predicting in the $350-$399 range.

majik13

Sony make money on software sales so PSVR will be cheaper for sure

Wouldn't Valve and Oculus also make some money on their stores too? How do we know they haven't subsidies the HW cost with the SW revenue.

Serious question, I am not sure if they have already answered this or not, and to my knowledge both companies have their own store. Obviously I think with either, you could circumvent the stores though, but they do expect some SW revenue.

Vive - $799.99
Oculus - $599.99

PSVR - $399.99 Basic ( VR and a game or demo)
PSVR - $499.99 Premium (Camera, and a 2 Move and a game)
PSVR + PS4 - 799.99 Ultimate ( PS4, VR, Camera, 2 move and a game ) ( for Christmas 2016)

It's suprising how many think that Sony will deliver the PSVR for so much less than the OR. Is this pure hopes, dreams, and fanboy wishing? Sony cannot afford to take a loss on this product. Anyone expecting the PSVR to be less than $450 is fooling themselves.

It's suprising how many think that Sony will deliver the PSVR for so much less than the OR. Is this pure hopes, dreams, and fanboy wishing? Sony cannot afford to take a loss on this product. Anyone expecting the PSVR to be less than $450 is fooling themselves.

I'd bet Sony is going to aim for something similar to "at cost." Losing money would be a very bold move, but I agree that it's unlikely. That said, I think selling this to the console market above $400 would cripple sales. They have a centralized marketplace where they can control software sales for their platform, which means the money can be in the software. Oculus has a storefront, but they can't guarantee its use, so they have to make a profit on the units.

Sony have had few qualms with being aggressive on price in the past, doing what they need to undercut competitors - (PS1, PS2, PS4) - it's a tactic that's served them well On those occasions. If they're as serious about VR as they appear to be there's a good chance they'll do it again.

Top Bottom