• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now that we know price of Ocolus, which others are expected to cost more/less and why

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

I think HTC is very happy now with how the things worked out with the delay, after initially it seemed they lost all the advantage that being first to the market would bring.

They always positioned themselves as premium so everybody is expecting Vive to be more expensive, but if they are able to position it within maximum $100-$150 above Rift (and even less outside US by using their already existing distribution channels) having already proper VR controls and better tracking system included it will be perceived as a better value for money.

They're quite large and bulky (devkit at least), imagine an extra couple of inches on a move controller. I imagine if you were sat at a desk they may be too big, but if you're playing in a space they don't get in the way.

They are very intuitive though. You don't even need to see your hands in fact. In the game I was playing you couldn't see your hands, but because they're relative to you I was reaching around and hitting buttons and flipping levers in seconds. I could even juggle-ish. Imagine you're interacting with everything using your fists.

Now developers can interpret movements to decide what your hands are doing, and I imagine they'll get pretty good at that. So maybe you'll eventually not even notice you have no finger movement. I've not tried the oculus touch but that extra dexterity may feel as big a leap as the vive does right now. I could see it, but I'm suspicious about how much they'll cost.

Awesome, thanks for sharing your experiences

I'm kinda sitting here wondering who to throw money at, and it's a tough decision. The platforms obviously have similarities, but they quite different too.

Top Bottom