• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now that we know price of Ocolus, which others are expected to cost more/less and why

Memento

PSVR for $299 would be fantastic. Is Sony willing to take the loss though? One thing for sure: if they could make it, PSVR would completely dominate the VR industry.

trebbble

Could Sony bundle the PSVR with a PS4 for around the same price (say $600-$700) as the Rift at this point in the console lifecycle?

iceatcs

I feel PSVR won't be more than a triple cost of VR Gear. So it will be about $300.
But with move controller kit likely reach $400 level.

HTC Vive could be the most expensive one.

keenerz

and the vive is also including the controllers on launch right? so its definitely going to be more expensive.

Pinky

Banned
I can see PSVR falling between $300-$400, but leaning more towards $300. A high price regardless, but I believe Sony did say that PSVR would roughly be priced like a new console.

If PSVR works with PC out the box or is able to be modded to work on PC, it would be a no-brainer decision for me. I would be willing to pay up to $499 for that. But I'm guessing $399 launch like a lot of people.

HardRojo

I still believe PSVR will be priced at $349 - $399. I think $499 would definitely kill it for good. $299 seems like wishful thinking now, but I'd like to be surprised.

Unless Sony wants to lose a ton of money per unit I don't see them going under $500 for their VR. And Vive will probably be more expensive.

I'm expecting Vive to be $150-$200 more (controllers included) and PSVR to be about $100 less (with controllers and camera included).

I still don't see PSVR being a cent over 299.99. I would be shocked if it was, since that would make it at least as expensive as the PS4, and Sony has made it clear that they're not planning to profit from selling the hardware.

The Vive, however, I suspect will be around the price of the Rift, perhaps a bit lower. Valve, like Oculus, can't justify much of a loss on HW.

As someone who's tried the PSVR, if they price it right ($299ish) I can see it doing really well. It's no joke and is a great immersive experience. Especially when it comes to FPS's and Driving games.

wachie

PSVR > HTC Vive > Rift

Specs wise Vive will have everyone beat but the price will hold it back, same as Rift. In other words, PSVR could be the iPhone, most popular but not necessarily have the best specs as an Android flagship would.

JordanN

Banned
Unless Sony wants to lose a ton of money per unit I don't see them going under $500 for their VR. And Vive will probably be more expensive.
They could do this.

They make profit from selling both PSVR and the PS4 to go with it. Oculus/Vive don't make PC's that the headsets require so their options are less.

Lettuce

Has Sony confirmed weather the PSVR needs the 'Processor Box' if so i cant see it being much cheaper!? I'd say the PSVR will come in at $475-500

harSon

Banned
I don't see how PSVR is going to come in at a palatable price either, especially since it comes with it's own box to supply further processing and power. And if peripherals are required to take advantage of most of the experiences (PS Camera or Move controllers?) - then the price is only going to go up from there.

I don't think Average Dad is the target audience for this product because Average Dad wouldn't likely be willing to drop even the cost of a PS4 to try out a handful of smaller VR games. I'd expect the immediate target is the first-adopter/tech enthusiast crowd, who is willing to drop -- let's face it -- a substantial amount of money for something new and exciting.

Sony is going to primarily market a peripheral for their flagship product to existing owners of the product; all 36,000,000 of them. your initial proclamation that Sony can't price itself too low because of "perception" of the product's overall quality is moot because the perception to the average console owner (i.e. not an early adopter or technophile) doesn't factor in VR alternatives, merely how much does the thing (PSVR) cost against similar things (i.e. - the console they already own, another console, some other piece of similarly priced technology). Sony isn't going to compete with Oculus; it doesn't make sense to try.

the sales pitch for PSVR is going to be "This thing can do that VR stuff you've been hearing about, but at a fraction of the cost because you already own a PS4!". it's not going to be "Spend ~$800 on hardware that's not really the same as that other more expensive thing you can't afford!" the cheaper they can price it, the better.

that said, I predict $449.99 for the PSVR.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
PSVR for $299 would be fantastic. Is Sony willing to take the loss though? One thing for sure: if they could make it, PSVR would completely dominate the VR industry.

Why would they want to take a loss? They are already selling 20 million consoles a year at a win, it's not like they can increase their user base by a meaningful margin with VR. They will still get <$10 for every retail game sold and <$20 for every digital game sold - unless VR games cost double what normal games cost. Which could happen (less customers, higher prices) but seems unlikely. VR is an experiment for them but it's not gonna be one they are willing to lose money with. And they don't need to, they could price PSVR at the same $599 as Rift and still sit at a $899 entry level to VR (console plus headset) compared to $1600 for PCVR or the same $899 for mobile VR.

Tyl3n0L85

Neo Member
Isn't the Vive bundled with two motion controllers? The spec is pretty much the same as the Occulus Rift but it also has an extra front facing camera and the LightHouse stuff so its safe to assume it'll be more expensive than OR. I'd say 799$

Hopefully Sony is coming up with something more reasonable in the 299-399 range

Memento

Why would they want to take a loss? They are already selling 20 million consoles a year at a win, it's not like they can increase their user base by a meaningful margin with VR. They will still get <$10 for every retail game sold and <$20 for every digital game sold - unless VR games cost double what normal games cost. Which could happen (less customers, higher prices) but seems unlikely. VR is an experiment for them but it's not gonna be one they are willing to lose money with. And they don't need to, they could price PSVR at the same $599 as Rift and still sit at a $899 entry level to VR (console plus headset) compared to $1600 for PCVR or the same $899 for mobile VR.

To establish its dominance and brand in the market?

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Sony: make the PSVR 399$ and make it PC compatible. And than you'll win.

Varg

Banned
400 for sure for the psvr. 500 was the sweet spot for me the rift so I'm holding off until people get their hands on it .

iceatcs

Has Sony confirmed weather the PSVR needs the 'Processor Box' if so i cant see it being much cheaper!?

It is bit like TV engine (i.e. Bravia chip). I don't think it was a big part of TV cost. I think the panel (screen) is the bigger part for the price.

PSVR screen could be about the same price as some mobiles' screen, but maybe 120hz not easy to make at small size.

ChouGoku

Vive>Oculus>PSVR

I highly doubt that psvr will be more than $400. I'm sure they will have $650-700 bundles for ps4+all you need for vr

Soi-Fong

I can already tell you guys, with the HTC Vive we have here at the studio, expect the Vive to come in even HIGHER than the Rift's price.

I just want everyone here to know that the Vive will cost MORE.

The lighthouses and controllers are NOT cheap.

Z3M0G

$300 hopefully but......but.....

$250 is the GOD number!!

I don't see how anyone can reasonably expect such a low price...

$400 would make much more sense, and likely at a loss where Sony plans to make money back on Software...

Anything less than that simply can't happen.. especially after today. $400 would be "Two Hundred Dollars less than Ocolus" which is marketing that writes itself.

cheezcake

They could do this.

They make profit from selling both PSVR and the PS4 to go with it. Oculus/Vive don't make PC's that the headsets require so their options are less.

They never want to lose money selling a unit, breaking even is the option. VR as a platform is still too niche to bank on taking a loss which has to be recouped by software sales.

Lingitiz

I don't see how anyone can reasonably expect such a low price...

$400 would make much more sense, and likely at a loss where Sony plans to make money back on Software...

Anything less than that simply can't happen.. especially after today. $400 would be "Two Hundred Dollars less than Ocolus" which is marketing that writes itself.
It's Oculus.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Whoever hopes PSVR to be under $300 I think doesn't understand the implication of this on the quality of the product given the early age for this tech. Some gross compromises will be required for that.

I think it will be priced at $299 for the headset, and 399€ with move controllers and PS Camera.

Anyway, I believe we will get an announcement soon, at least before Oculus launches.

They would need to take a loss or sell it at $300. They don't need to bundle a controller or a headphone with it since the console comes with it, but the external processor may keep the price a little high.

I'd buy it day one at $300. Maybe day one at $350 depends on the product and games and the release date, and LOL at $500 or over.

novablue

Banned
I really doubt PSVR will be lower than 400$. They could if they sell it at a loss maybe.

It has to be. Every product in the Playstation that ain't a home console sells pretty bad compared to their counter parts. PSP and the PS Vita never reach the status of worthy companion for the PS2,PS3 and PS4.

I want them to actually take home more Wins than Ls

Also, I remember someone saying that the PSVR is only deciated to one machine while the others will work on various ones. Sony would have to make the PSVR be compatible with PS5 to charge at least $400 or more, that ain't going to happen.

Top Bottom