• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Final Fantasy X (HD) - So this is why people like Final Fantasy

Hikami

Update:

So.. I finally finished the game.

I got stuck at
Seymour Flux
months ago and pretty much just gave up.

I got the urge to play it again out of nowhere and beat him on my second try somehow. After that though, every boss started being a pain in the ass so I had to look up a guide. That's when I realized I fucked up and was way under leveled. I didn't even know you could backtrack.. or that the game had sidequests.

The minigames still suck by the way. The chocobo ones are especially infuriating since the controls are bad.

Still, I really liked the game and I can see myself replaying it at some to point to do all the sidequests I missed. The OST is great, the characters were great, the story was decent, and the battles were challenging.

If only the game actually looked like this. Loved every time one of these cutscenes popped up.

The ending.. I guess that's why X-2 exists? Is that worth playing? All I've seen about it is people saying to avoid it.

I really want to play another FF game after this though. Thinking of VI or IX.

---
Original Post:

(referencing to the title):
This isn't the first Final fantasy game I've played.
It's the first FF that I've enjoyed a lot though. (I've played 3, 13, 13-2, 13-3, and 6. In that order. Only ever finished 13 though.)
I've always seen people saying stuff like "FF stopped being good at 10" and such so I decided to finally try this one out.

I bought it during Black Friday last year and have been slowly playing through it. I'm honestly surprised at how good it is. I thought it would just be another case of GAF's nostalgia glasses but I was wrong.

The cast of characters is great especially. Not your average JRPG party build. (Thank you for not putting in an annoying child character. Though Tidus might be close enough.) I find that the combat is pretty challenging and fun, especially the bosses with their specific gimmicks. This is coming from a guy who finds most turn-based battle systems boring.

The only problem I have with the game really is the animations and voice acting, they can be awkward at times. But I can forgive that since it's a PS2 game remaster. It would've been nice if the game actually looked like it's CG cutscenes though, those are awesome.

Now for the music.. I went with the original soundtrack incase I ever wanted to replay the game, I'd pick arranged next. The soundtrack is also great by the way. Love the battle theme especially.

Oh and I almost forgot; fuck this minigame.
aece64b5ab.png
Can't believe I spent like half an hour going through all the tutorials and rules to learn how to play this. Only to end up just playing one game and getting destroyed.

I love the puzzle minigames though once you reach the temples, those are fun.

---
tldr: This is probably my favorite Final Fantasy game now.

I'm currently at the part where you
crash Yuna's wedding in Bevelle.
How much longer do I have to go?

Why do you guys have so much trouble with Blitzball. It is so damn easy. Just play manually.

It is the best game of all time for me.

-MB-

THE FF that had me check out of the franchise, just did not like it, and none of the later ones got me back. Fear for XV and the 7 remake tbqh.

VRMN

You're about halfway through, honestly. Maybe 60%. Less if you care about post-game content.

I need to get back to finishing the Platinum trophy. Max-levelling everyone is kind of a pain because of all the grinding for Luck spheres. Ah well.

Hikami

Why do you guys have so much trouble with Blitzball. It is so damn easy. Just play manually.

It is the best game of all time for me.

I did play on manual, I just kept getting 3v1'd or 4v1'd though. I went and looked up a guide and it said I was supposed to learn the Jecht Shot thing on the ship apparently.. but I failed and thought it was supposed to be like that.

Deft Beck

One of the best modern, mainline, traditional FF games. Everyone complains about Tidus but I thought his whole character arc justified his initial immaturity. Yes, the dubbing doesn't help his case.

I did play on manual, I just kept getting 3v1'd or 4v1'd though. I went and looked up a guide and it said I was supposed to learn the Jecht Shot thing on the ship apparently.. but I failed and thought it was supposed to be like that.

You just need to lure them out, then pass. Also, get new players.

Falk

that puzzling face
I can get not playing through 3 or 13-2, but I do have to tilt my head at 6 not catching on hahaha.

You definitely want to check out 7-9 if/when you have time.

From where you are in the game you are what, 50% of the way done?

I'm foggy, but there's a good chunk of game still left.

FFX is an amazing game, and has some of the best game music I've ever heard.

If you like X you may like 9 as well. Those are my two favorites aside from FFXI which is the GOAT, but it's a MMORPG and is NOT the same game I played upon release than what you'd play now.

FF4 is also a great one if you are ready for some old school fun.

8 is meh, 7 is great, 12 is meh (GAF loves it, but the story and characters are some of the worst. combat is great, but that's it).

Ruruja

Blitzball is great, especially going around the world scouting the best players for your team.

Not sure what planet you're on OP.

Hikami

I can get not playing through 3 or 13-2, but I do have to tilt my head at 6 not catching on hahaha.

You definitely want to check out 7-9 if/when you have time.

I played the mobile version of 6. Didn't have any way to get the other ones at the time. Might give it a try again though once I can get a version that isn't the mobile one.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
FFX is flipping great.

Except Blitzball. And the cloister of trails. Fuck bevelle and Zanarkand respectively

if only XII could have been finished and completed, maybe it would have been better than 10 because of how massive and amibitious it was even if it's cast (both supporting and bad guys) werent all as good as FFX, if only XIII wasn't well... what the turd it turned out to be and if only XV could be good...

FFX is my first and the only FF I liked.

If I recall correctly, FFX was very divisive when it was first released.

However, it's basically the last FF that had a normal development (XI was an MMO, and XII, XIII, XIV, and XV all had a troublesome development history). Once people started to realize this, they started to appreciate FFX more.

Dinjooh

It's my favourite game of all time OP so the remasters have been quite the pleasure for me over the last couple of years. I went a bit nuts with the share button during my last playthrough on PS4 and managed to snag around 100 pics during my journey.

Here's some from the story before Bevelle:

WolvenOne

Honestly, while ten is a good game it isn't my cup of tea. I'll leave it at that though. I don't want to be the guy that comes into a thread solely to rail against the OPs preferences.

Zyrox

"Fuck this minigame?" More like: Fuck all minigames. You aren't there yet but you'll soon enough learn what hell feels like once you encounter chocobos and try your...luck at a race or two. Hope you aren't a completionist bud.

Mit-

One of my favorites, though since I played an undub version on PCSX2 with the Japanese soundtrack, I can never go back. Hopefully the PC version lets you choose voice tracks, and if not, hopefully someone releases a mod to manually put them in.

Yuna is unbearable. Some of the lip syncing is embarrassing. Sometimes they just stop in the middle of a sentence, very awkwardly, for no purpose other than to match the character's lips.

If I recall correctly, FFX was very divisive when it was first released.

However, it's basically the last FF that had a normal development (XI was an MMO, and XII, XIII, XIV, and XV all had a troublesome development history). Once people started to realize this, they started to appreciate FFX more.

I'd say that people being aware of the development had nothing to do with it, but more that all the products post X were all significantly flawed in one way or another because of troubled development. (Can't speak for XIV haven't played it, XV isn't out yet). It was a pretty big depart from the PS1 games as well which contributed to the initial divisive response. I know everyone has their favorite, but I think most people can agree that overall X was a really solid game, that lacked the one or so big flaws that accompanied XII and the XIII trilogy. (I really love XII for what it's worth)

J-Skee

This was my first Final Fantasy. I adore it so much. Glad you're having fun!

Amen.

Except for a couple of examples, FFX has the absolute worst side content in any mainline FF for me. And all the characters' ultimate weapons are tied to them!

I've pretty much come to conclusion that I'm never going to be able to match my 13 year old's self skill level & dodge 200 consecutive lightning bolts again. Got lucky with the 0:00:0 chocobo race though.

Azuran

Banned
This isn't the first Final fantasy game I've played.
It's the first FF that I've enjoyed a lot though. (I've played 3, 13, 13-2, 13-3, and 6. In that order. Only ever finished 13 though.)
I've always seen people saying stuff like "FF stopped being good at 10" and such so I decided to finally try this one out.

Nice to see your rectifying that with this. Make sure to tackle 7, 8, and 9 after your done with this one. 3 and 13 are weird choices to play when trying to get into the series.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Absolutely adore this game, the concept of some monster whale terrorizing the world for centuries is so unique. Love the water themes/imagery and Blitzball is such an interesting concept. Everything about the story and characters is non-standard and it's for the game's benefit.

Meneses

Best thing about this game was Blitzball, which is up there with Triple Triad as best FF mini-game.

I found the game itself to be boring, and I think it was the beginning of the end of my FF "fandom".

Ahnez

This game is incridible. This and IX are the only Final Fantasies I ever played more than once. Btw, you should play VII, VIII and IX

Also, Blitzball is not as hard as you think. It is a RPG minigame, your players' stats matter

There is an optimal team that will reliably win every match for you. You will find the real fuck-this-minigame later

I LOVED this game growing up and was a vocal defender. Replaying the HD version? Well it has got me on the hate train.

I think previously, the younger version of myself had a thing for Rikku, so I was prepared to look over a lot of stuff. With hormones better in check, I can see just how much bullshit there is.

The laughing scene? Most of the game is right there with it.

So I'm glad you loved it, I once did too! But for me now it is the end of the final fantasy series.

Amazing music though.

I didnt like them when they came out, but I was also pretty young to be fair, thinking of giving them another shot after I finish ff7 for the first time, which I still have a ways to go, ive only just beaten disc 1 and im in love so far.

No amount of protests from people who subjected themselves to Blitzball long enough to develop Stockholm-esque feelings toward it is enough to change the fact that it's hot garbage. Indeed, everything that isn't killing monsters in FFX is awful. This game singlehandedly killed minigames in JRPGs.

Andrefpvs

I beat the Luca Goers 4-1 in the first game, lol. Of course, I had played the original PS2 game before.

I even found out you unlock a small hidden scene if Tidus scores 3 goals.

Yeah I really liked X. Wasn't a fan of how stream lined it was but I liked everything else. Don't really get why people always hate on Titus and Wakka. I loved both of them.

zewone

Recently finished X and I wonder why people gave XIII so much crap for being linear when X might as well have been on rails.

It was also extremely easy.

I remember it being a lot better on PS2.

XII is the GOAT.

Top Bottom