• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Final Fantasy X (HD) - So this is why people like Final Fantasy

Fisty

FFX is so good, it even makes FFX-2 good just by association. Great game, great story, great world, great combat. Enjoy, OP.

MoogPaul

One of my least favorites to be honest. The whole thing felt very guided. Gameplay feels shallow, like you're just kind of going through the motions to let the movie playout.
Not really sure why there is so much love for X and so much hate for XIII. Gameplay-wise, pretty much the same. Replaying the HD version reminded me of how much of a massive turning point in the series this game is. Like 7 was a huge hit and there were two camps that broke out. One gave us 9, the other gave (Kitase) us 8, 10, and eventually 13. What is it that makes X so memorable to a lot of people but he miss so hard with 8 and 13? It's a weird thing.
Kitase always has great scenerios, but the gameplay and solo-direction always end up disappointing me. His scenerios and direction when someone is keeping him in check is pretty fantastic though.

FFX is so good, it even makes FFX-2 good just by association. Great game, great story, great world, great combat. Enjoy, OP.

I like X-2 way more than X. Much more interesting from a pure gameplay perspective. It was great to see the job system again. I like X-2s job system better than 3 anyway.

FFX is my absolute favorite FF game. Yea it has some cheesy aspects, but it does have a lot of interesting stylistic choices, and I feel like the ATB system is just a better fit for FF than the pseudo-live action combat systems they've been trying with 12 and 13.

Glad you are enjoying it.

Recently finished X and I wonder why people gave XIII so much crap for being linear when X might as well have been on rails.

It was also extremely easy.

I remember it being a lot better on PS2.

XII is the GOAT.

XIII felt like I was running forward for no reason while fighting monsters along the way. The tower, and Archylte Steppes, and orphan's cradle are the only parts of the game that had some exploration (that I recall).

X's linearity was inherent to the story, the whole pilgrimage thing. Also it had towns to explore, side quests, and you could revisit most places once you got an airship. The temple puzzle really helped change the pacing as well.

Yes, both are linear, but X did it well. It felt like the world was more open and explorable. While XIII was a hallway simulator/ battle tutorial for an excruciating amount of time, till the last 1/3 which was actually pretty fun. XIII-2, in my opinion, is the strongest of the XIII games.

I like X-2 way more than X. Much more interesting from a pure gameplay perspective. It was great to see the job system again. I like X-2s job system better than 3 anyway.

Yeah, X-2 had a fantastic Job System, but 5 and Tactics have GOAT job systems in my opinion. The amount of customizability was just fantastic. So much mixing and matching of different Job abilities.

FFX is my absolute favorite FF game. Yea it has some cheesy aspects, but it does have a lot of interesting stylistic choices, and I feel like the ATB system is just a better fit for FF than the pseudo-live action combat systems they've been trying with 12 and 13.

FFX doesn't use the ATB system.

Rising_Hei

I've spent more time on blitzball than on any current AAA game, that speaks for itself :>

FFX was more streamlined and "shorter" on events tho, it was when less things started to happen on jrpg because they started making them more cinematic

PAUonePUNCH

Neo Member
You're crazy TS. Blitzball is amazing! I honestly logged 30+ hours alone playing it. I LOVED it. I still would buy a stand alone Blitzball game.

Mortemis

Banned
An absolutely great game. I recently played and I haven't enjoyed a game that much in a while.

Blitzball is awesome. Just get Brother from the airship and watch the game become a cakewalk.

Fisty

An absolutely great game. I recently played and I haven't enjoyed a game that much in a while.

Blitzball is awesome. Just get Brother from the airship and watch the game become a cakewalk.

Dont forget my man Wedge, and Rinn for that cross-court pass.

AgeEighty

I liked X well enough. If you're enjoying that, I really suggest that you take the three PSOne FF titles for a spin: VII, VIII, and IX. Well... less so VIII. But definitely VII and IX.

Hikami

I liked X well enough. If you're enjoying that, I really suggest that you take the three PSOne FF titles for a spin: VII, VIII, and IX. Well... less so VIII. But definitely VII and IX.

I don't know if I'd like the PSOne games. I can deal with outdated mechanics and graphics but the deformed character models bother me too much.

Great game - put well over 99 hrs into it back on ps2. At first i hated blitzball but once i decided to try and get good i freaking loved it and wished there was a stand alone game like madden for it.

Never did get those 200 bolts though

TriAceJP

I've noticed people who like FFXIII also like FFX. I don't like either. Seems to be a theme.

FFX-2 is a better game, so get ready for an actually fun battle system.

Bolivar687

Banned
Great game but I didn't enjoy the Vita port that much. Hood to hear the console remaster is resonating with people.

Not the best FF though.

I don't know if I'd like the PSOne games. I can deal with outdated mechanics and graphics but the deformed character models bother me too much.

FFVII's lego people are a bit jarring, but they have their own charm and can be rather emotive. The battle models look good though. FFVIII's may be more of what you are looking for since it's the first game in the mainline that used characters with proportional bodies. FFIX is stylistically bent towards the fantasy side, don't let that deter you from playing it, some of the most memorable characters are in it.

Hikami

I don't know about VIII, doesn't really look all that interesting to me from what I've seen.
I might try IX with the upcoming PC release and VII's getting a remake so I'll just wait for that.

TriAceJP

Run it on a PS1 emulator that supports the OpelGL2 plugin and upres it. It looks fantastic.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
My favorite part of X is easily
the fact that without it, X-2 wouldn't exist.

Tip: if the celestial weapons are driving you nuts, don't worry about it. Game is fine without them

Narroo

I will say one thing though that may disappoint you OP; in the HD/Internation versions, the "End game" has been kinda ruined.

Without too many spoilers, one of the strongest points of the original FFX was it's end game quests which allow you to power up for the final boss...but the international version, which the HD version is based off of, added in a bunch of recolor super bosses that block most of the quests. The thing is, if you can beat the super bosses, you can beat the final boss, so it completely breaks the end of the game.

I would have sworn the time meter that filled up was called the ATB meter.

There's no time meter on FFX.

There is the overdrive meter.
But at the top right, there's the turn sequence.
It may say
-Tidus
-Yuna
-Boss
-Yuna
-Auron

It uses "CTB": "Conditional Turned Based Battle"

zewone

I will say one thing though that may disappoint you OP; in the HD/Internation versions, the "End game" has been kinda ruined.

Without too many spoilers, one of the strongest points of the original FFX was it's end game quests which allow you to power up for the final boss...but the international version, which the HD version is based off of, added in a bunch of recolor super bosses that block most of the quests. The thing is, if you can beat the super bosses, you can beat the final boss, so it completely breaks the end of the game.

You only have to worry about that for one characters Celestial weapon and only if you didn't get it correctly the first time.

99% of the Celestial weapons are in no way blocked by the additional fights.

Reset

FFX is the best Final Fantasy game, and I like to pretend FFX-2 doesn't exist. Ugh what a disappointment.

I forgot how easy the game is. Outside of the dark aeon fights, every boss fight is a fucking joke.

FFX-2 is more fun to play. Story is pretty lame but at least I actually have to think in battles.

Fdkn

FFX is the worst final fantasy after II, and II at least can be forgiven in many of its choices taking into consideration how old it is and what it was trying to do to advance the formula.

Replaying the whole saga in 2012 made me realize that the pacing is so terribly slow and boring I can't believe I liked it the first time when I was a teen. The combat system is such a step back... but even if it had the glorious ATB+job system of X-2, it wouldn't have saved the game anyway.

And blitzzball is the worst minigame ever, there's nothing fun about playing it and every match takes ~10 minutes to win by half a dozen of goals with no chance to be challenged, so they force you to grind it for all that Wakka stuff.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I love FFX. Spira is my favorite Final Fantasy world. I love the gameplay, the sheer amount of content, and especially the phenomenal OST. Just a fantastic game on every front. I am so very fond of the cast. Yuna is the best Final Fantasy character IMO. I was so smitten with her, back in the PS2 days.

Such a joy to replay it on PS4.

antitrop

FFVII's lego people are a bit jarring, but they have their own charm and can be rather emotive.

gif-2.gif

Jay RaR

You didn't finish VI...lol.

I've also played a handful of FF titles and beaten them (VII, XII, IX,VI) and couldn't finish XIII and X.

I stopped at a place a bit of ways after where you were at.
Mt. Gagazet

Cuz I couldn't take the shitty story, boring temples, the boring/cringy unskippable cutscenes, and the lame cast with a terrible protagonist(aside from Auron) anymore.

Oh and yeah fuck Blitzball.

GorillaJu

I have never lost a game of blitz ball, even with the junky starting team at lvl 1. I personally think it's pretty fun but was glad it was over when I got everything I needed from it.

Generally my thoughts echo the OP's. I recently started playing FFX for the first time and I wasn't expecting it to be this good. Lots of folks on here talk about how it's the "beginning of the end" for FF and other such nonsense but it feels more to me like the last really good FF. Until recently it was also the only one I hadn't played.

Great characters, story is interesting and never loses its focus while it quietly and slowly breaks your heart. Combat actually encourages you to specialize your characters and use all of them, too. Was the last one I played and already my second favorite after 6.

diablogod

Not sure what my favorite Final Fantasy is, but the thing I like about Final Fantasy X the most is how well presented the main story is, also the music. Man some of the music in this game is haunting...

(I lied FF9 is my favorite)

Lothar

Banned
Yep, it was a terrific game. One of the best games of all time.

Recently finished X and I wonder why people gave XIII so much crap for being linear when X might as well have been on rails.

It was also extremely easy.

I remember it being a lot better on PS2.

XII is the GOAT.

I don't see how it could be easy unless you used a guide to get all the special weapons and hidden summons. You thought the Seymour fights and Yunalesca were easy?

Squalor

Final Fantasy X is an all-time great game, and to this day it is still my favorite Final Fantasy.

However, you are dead wrong about Final Fantasy VI.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
It's a decent game but I couldn't stand Tidus. I couldn't relate to him at all. Ugh.

But I guess it the battle system was alright for the most part. I liked being able to switch people in and out.

Squalor

It's a decent game but I couldn't stand Tidus. I couldn't relate to him at all. Ugh.

But I guess it the battle system was alright for the most part. I liked being able to switch people in and out.
Not that relating to a character is relevant to the character's development, but you couldn't relate to someone who was a stranger in a strange land, someone who had unsolicited responsibilities thrust upon him, who had to deal with unfortunate situations passed onto him from his parents?

zewone

Yep, it was a terrific game. One of the best games of all time.

I don't see how it could be easy unless you used a guide to get all the special weapons and hidden summons. You thought the Seymour fights and Yunalesca were easy?
Seymour I used my recently acquired Yojimbo who one shot him.

Yunalesca wasn't that bad. I expected more. Auron and Tidus just attacked while Yuna healed.

TheFatMan

FFX is a great game, so much so that I have beat it 3 times. For me that is a huge deal, as I almost never play games more than once.

When you start on X-2 don't freak out right away lol. It's a completely different animal but a great game none the less if you give it a chance.

Hedge

I can't help but gasp mildly at the FF games OP played to get a feel for the franchise. I wouldn't say those titles best represent it. Aside from VI, maybe.

X is a great game, though, and it almost isn't invalidated by X-2. Almost.

XII is the GOAT.

Yes. Just yes. All of my yes.

Top Bottom