• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of fire 3 coming to North America psn in February

leroidys

Awesome that they're doing this, hopefully playing it on Vita eliminates the awful extra loading after every single battle.

Kazer

Holy shit!! Day one. I haven't played this in years and I've wanted the PSP version since it launched in Europe.

RK128

Really great news :D! Will beat the fourth Breath of Fire game before I get this and hopefully we get Legends 2 latter this year :).

Capcom has done a great job with PS1/PSP classic support since 2014 for NA PSN users, so its nice seeing this continue this year.

leroidys

I hope this means that Capcom will port Breath of Fire I and II to PS4/Xbox One/PC through Digital Eclipse. I'm assuming the Mega Man Legacy Collection did well for them.

Unless this is somehow madly successful, I doubt it. Given that they're releasing the PSP version, this limits potential buyers in the US essentially to the remarkably low-selling vita. I can't imagine that many PSP only owners will be picking this up. They can't be expecting to make money off of this. Given that they probably had to put this through ESRB, I'd be surprised if they even break even. This is pretty much just a gift to the fans.

I'll join you in hoping for it though!

Holy shit megaton!!!

Here I was thinking I had bought my last psp game.

Capcom... How did YOU end up with the last "new" release PSP game in the US?

May16

Whoa whoa whoa, people, don't get too excited.

Remember, we all hate turn-based battles and there is no market for them.

I was just looking in to buying a copy thanks to that LTTP thread, assuming there was no chance this would ever actually happen. The retro guys at Capcom are doing fucking amazing work.

Edit: Oh, PSP version? I think I'll go back to looking for a PSOne copy.

Shizuka

It's interesting that this announcement comes exactly a week before the european release gets its 10 year anniversary.

catbrush

You are all wrong 6 is clearly the best game in the series.

Won't it be a hilarious surprise if 6 has fleshed out characters and engaging storytelling.

I will approach it with an open mind, and hold my breath at the same time.

Also, Sony, why doesn't PS4 have PSP emulation? Please.

Tizoc

as much as inwant to say 'took them long enough' i would really like to know the hurdles that prevented this game frin releasing years ago on hs psn @.@
hype regardless
Time to finish up some vita games to make room for it on my 64 gb

as much as inwant to say 'took them long enough' i would really like to know the hurdles that prevented this game frin releasing years ago on hs psn @.@
hype regardless
Time to finish up some vita games to make room for it on my 64 gb

sony wouldnt allow the ps1 version as a classic

and sony america has/had a policy of not allowing ports with no added content

Mcdohl

BREATH OF FIRE III HD REMAKE PS4/XONE/PC CONFIRMED

Believe :(

In all seriousness, this is really great news.

This is one of my favorite games of all time.

Eusis

Is BoF3 better than 4? BoF4 was my first BoF, but it bored the shit out of me. Didn't even care to finish it.
Subjective. I liked BoF3 way more, but it felt more appealing to me whereas BoFIV, while being more nicely made arguably, didn't really gel with me.

androvsky

im not sure, i just remember reading that capcom submitted the game to sony but was rejected cause of reasons
If that did happen, Capcom would have edited the boss sprite that looks too much like Ultraman, and Sony doesn't allow changes to classics releases from the iso that originally went through QA.

bengraven

Could be right.

latest

In the Playstation version, Stallion was a shoutout to Ultraman, as was it's signature attack Utmost Attack, but this was changed in the PSP port by turning Stallion brown and changing the name

im not sure, i just remember reading that capcom submitted the game to sony but was rejected cause of reasons

http://www.gamersmint.com/capcom-further-responds-to-sony-blocking-breath-of-fire-iii-psn-release

Yeah, but Seth Killian is being very vague or just doesn't know either, circa 2011.

I don't think the issue is Sony. IIRC correctly, BoF3 PS1 version has a boss that is pretty much exactly Ultraman, so the rights/fear-of-a-lawsuit are likely holding it up.

I'm assuming that just like the Japanese ports of Mega Man Legends for the PSP, that they erased any IP infringement issues with the PSP version of Breath of Fire III?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm assuming that just like the Japanese ports of Mega Man Legends for the PSP, that they erased any IP infringement issues with the PSP version of Breath of Fire III?

Yeah but the PSone classic of Mega Man Legends in on PSN now. I guess this means it's almost impossible to fix the issue out with the Ultraman thing.

Clive

Man, the PSP is hitting its stride in America 2015-2016. Three top tier JRPGs last year in the west with Brandish, Trails SC and Summon Night 5 plus now this.

entremet

ONLY TEN YEARS LATE. FFS, SCEA. That stupid ass policy of needing new things in ports was bullshit. Good to see that Cerny or whoever told you to knock that shit off.

I'll buy this port when it's $5.

SCEA had some really dumb publishing guidelines. 2D hate in the PS1 days and this.

What a dumb company sometimes.

Hopefully, those days are over.

Yeah but the PSone classic of Mega Man Legends in on PSN now. I guess this means it's almost impossible to fix the issue out with the Ultraman thing.

To be fair, Capcom had another element in that the PSP BoF3 was already localized. They didn't have the same luxury with the Japanese PSP port of Mega Man Legends.

Mega Man Legends 2 has mobile suits but I'm not quite sure if that's going to block it from a possible release since the PSP port had them in the textures as well (only viewable by going through PS1 VRAM).

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Wow, its been forever. I wonder if they will let Namco Release Tales of Eternia on PSN too, one of my favorites in the series.

th4tguy

Finally. I'm only one game away from being able to pack up my PSP. Now Just need Valkyrie Profile and all of my UMD library will be digital.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The PS1 version on PSN could have been bought and played on a PS3 (as well as a PSP or Vita).

This limits it to PSP/Vita only.
Er? Cause I want to play it on my TV.

..do I really need to answer this?

>_< Fuck, I don't know why I didn't think of that. For some reason I thought this was still considered a PS1 classic. Derp, sorry.

Well that really sucks then. :( I have access to a PS TV now so I might get it, but it sucks for those who don't.

Here's a question regarding the ending of the game:

Are you the protagonist or the antagonist? Because you're killing Myria, the protector of the world from harm, for revenge against the Brood (and you're the only one left) and to set the world free from her protection.
Not the antagonist. Myria isn't evil, but she is definitely misguided. She is like a well-meaning mother who wants to keep her children safe by never letting them out of the house because the outside world is too dangerous, or because, as her children grow into adults, they could harm others. As someone said, it's the whole freedom vs safety debate and she just takes it to an extreme so she is wrong, and sadly, the solution was to destroy her.

I found that to be an amazing plot twist, by the way. It's so refreshing from the typical JRPG (or even just plain RPG) ending scenario.

Top Bottom