• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of fire 3 coming to North America psn in February

Sora_N

BoF 6 statue lol

FIGURE-016484_01.jpg

15 hours into it on my psp. Would much rather play it on vita, but I am not starting over. I can transfer saves over from one system to the other right?

If that did happen, Capcom would have edited the boss sprite that looks too much like Ultraman, and Sony doesn't allow changes to classics releases from the iso that originally went through QA.

Still can't believe that PSOne Classics policy is still a thing. Even Nintendo of all companies got a lot more lax with that in regards to Virtual Console.

Edgeward

This works out for me. I really wanted the psp version when it first came out. Now I can replay it with widescreen support.

Here's a question regarding the ending of the game:

Are you the protagonist or the antagonist? Because you're killing Myria, the protector of the world from harm, for revenge against the Brood (and you're the only one left) and to set the world free from her protection.

There is technically two endings you can get with the game...

You can choose not to fight Myria and Ryu lives where Teepo was and the world doesn't change

Thought this was already on PSN. I've actually been thinking about this game lately and would have popped in my copy if I wasn't already playing Suikoden 2. Played the hell out of this game back in the day. I remember getting close to the end and my crappy Chinese knock-off memory card decided to make my save files disappear one day. Played through a considerable amount again thinking it was just a fluke...it wasn't. Third time through on an official memory card and finally managed to complete it. Was so sick of it by then, but now I'm looking forward to giving it a revisit.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So there is still a chance for Suikoden 1+2 PSP.

That wasn't translated outside of Japan, was it?

Besides: Konami. And Suikoden 1-2 are already on the PSN store as PSX titles, yeah?

DR2K

Banned
Well I'll put this in my Vita TV. Wish Valkyrie Profile and both Star Oceans were online available.

Great, more people can play one of the GOAT jrpg's. And it's the superior PSP version. :)

Can't recommend this game enough. Has my favourite JRPG cast too.

Rezae

Great game. Glad it's the PSP version. I'd rather play it on a handheld (like most JRPGs), but for those complaining about it not being on PS3, you can order a PSTV for $43 on Amazon. Even if you're not a Vita fan, I would think most would find that tiny little box useful for at least PS1 classics (if you don't have a PS3 or want something more compact), not to mention many of the PSP/Vita compatible titles. Small investment, super compact system, and opens up a lot options for anyone in the PS ecosystem.

Tizoc

You know if Capcpom would port the SNES BoF 1 and 2 to iOS with better translation I wouldn't mind that ported to additional systems too ;P

I'd be cool with an ios port of bof even if it was just a straight port of the snes or gba version.

BoF2 can remain a memory though, that game is the weakest link

I'd be cool with an ios port of bof even if it was just a straight port of the snes or gba version.

BoF2 can remain a memory though, that game is the weakest link

BOF2 would be outstanding with a good translation like Ryusui's, and some tweaking to the encounter rate and zenny drop amounts.

UCBooties

Awesome, I imported the PSP version from England a couple years ago but I'll be happy to have it digitally.

Now if only Namco would do the same with the Tale of Eternia PSP port they never brought to the US.

Justified

Could be right.

latest

In the Playstation version, Stallion was a shoutout to Ultraman, as was it's signature attack Utmost Attack, but this was changed in the PSP port by turning Stallion brown and changing the name

http://www.gamersmint.com/capcom-further-responds-to-sony-blocking-breath-of-fire-iii-psn-release

Yeah, but Seth Killian is being very vague or just doesn't know either, circa 2011.

Capcom US VP at the time Christian Svensson, stated that was the reason, and also stated the reason NA didnt get the PSP port was because of the "straight port" policy of SCEA. However now that we ARE getting it, I assume the policy is dead.

s17B8xs.png
BeOLXmr.png

nVnR3Ic.png

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
The best version of the best game in the series.

BOF3 was already wonderful and the PSP version adding widescreen just improved an already classic game.

Such a shame Ryu never showed up in any of the Marvel Vs. Capcom or other Vs. fighting games.

mattp

the thing i dont get about the ultraman shit is....how is that even an issue?
its a fucking horse
is that something they could even get in trouble for?
just because its a nod to ultraman, its not a straight up off
its a random enemy in an 80 hour game that has the same colors and an attack that is a nod to ultraman

laws are dumb

Takao

Banned
the thing i dont get about the ultraman shit is....how is that even an issue?
its a fucking horse
is that something they could even get in trouble for?
just because its a nod to ultraman, its not a straight up off
its a random enemy in an 80 hour game that has the same colors and an attack that is a nod to ultraman

laws are dumb

Japan apparently lacks parody protection:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...to-be-pulled-from-home-video-streaming/.95018
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...ially-altered-for-home-video-streaming/.95582

No, I'd agree with ULTROS on this one. The child arc is at least a third of the game. There is an intro arc of the game, but that only lasts two or so dungeons. You still play as child Ryu for a long time after that point.

To newcomers to BoF 3, I recommend that you don't consider the childhood arc to be an "intro" or tutorial. Once you get past
the house burning down
, then you are past the intro. At that point, you can access most of the game's core mechanics, such as Masters.

Ah, you're right. I was getting the initial segment (with Rei & Teepo) confused with the entire child segment. It's been a while.

JCX

Man, Vita and 3DS have enough RPGs in the first third of the year to last me until next year. May delay buying Bravely and play this in April instead.

mattp

No, I'd agree with ULTROS on this one. The child arc is at least a third of the game. There is an intro arc of the game, but that only lasts two or so dungeons. You still play as child Ryu for a long time after that point.

To newcomers to BoF 3, I recommend that you don't consider the childhood arc to be an "intro" or tutorial. Once you get past
the house burning down
, then you are past the intro. At that point, you can access most of the game's core mechanics, such as Masters.

You can access the first master & fishing even before that part, it's
as soon you beat the nue, before the mcneil mansion
. I think one major mechanic is shortly after.

you get accession and the dragon gene system when you rescue nina from balio and sunder in jail

That's only about 20 mins later if you don't mess around though.

And I was already 8 hours into playing my PS1 version on my PS3 a couple weeks ago so do I contine that or snag this? But one thing that really makes me want this is having it fill the whole screen with PSTV as I imagine the sprite work should look nice as most 2D PSP stuff on PSTV does for me. Another thing is being able to control my characters using analog vs stuck with the D-pad on PS1. So much easier on my finger.

Oh yeah, I gotta mention how fun it is to explore towns in this game. Using the R1 to rotate the camera just a bit to see people or treasures hidden behind nooks and crannies was fun. Not to mention pressing a button to bring up a pointer arrow to scan the surroundings was an innovative feature IMO. Helped save me a few dead ends in dungeons.

Z3M0G

Sounds like great news, but I'm just wondering...

Why now? Why did it take so long? BOFIV has been out for some time, hasn't it?

Sounds like great news, but I'm just wondering...

Why now? Why did it take so long? BOFIV has been out for some time, hasn't it?

Page 5 has some excellent details on why it took long. It mostly has to do with SCEA's policy with regards PSP ports, and a certain sprite blocking the PS1 classic from being released due to IP infringement. BoF4 to my knowledge, doesn't have any of the IP problems.

I say 3 is the smoother experience. It's more colorful, the characters are much more expressive (Ershin is the only character from 4 that really stood out while I remember Rei, Garr, Teepo, and Momo much more), maps are easier to navigate, 3's Dragon Gene system is infinitely more enjoyable to 4's dragon system because you can mix and match genes to create forms to your liking (although everyone goes to Myrmidon as soon as they can), enemies aren't as obnoxious as 4's, fishing system is MUCH better as you can see the shadow of the particular fish you want and it's easier to reel them in, I think the music is better, and I thought the story ended on a more satisfying note.

4's pretty good as well. It has a more engaging battle system as you use all 6 characters and the spell chains, music is stylized and intense, and the story is much more compelling and dramatic.

Both are really good games but I enjoy 3 more as a relaxed experience with easier gameplay in a more colorful world. The flaws that stick out to me are few but sadly big enough that it can actually turn me away from playing it for a time.

3 has training Beyd around the 40-45% point in the game and that just kills all momentum. It's obnoxious, time consuming, and it builds to a fight that is handled by the AI. The Desert of Death is also a pain but it's easy when you learn the trick to navigating it so it just becomes boring rather than difficult.
4, and this is really a personal issue, the last boss is super hard for me if I don't prepare for it extensively. I spend a large portion of my time throughout the entire game preparing for it and the easiest solution I've had is to fish...A LOT. Lots of full party healing and magic recovery items make it easier to keep piling on damage while recovering from all its damaging attacks.

Go 3 if you want a fun, colorful world full of character and charm. 3 still has some hard parts but they're nothing overbearing. Like grinding will never seem like an issue.
Go 4 if you want a dramatic story with a stylized setting and intense combat that utilizes multiple characters.
Thanks. I think I'll go with 3. The superior PSP port plus widescreen support tips the scales in favor of BoF3.

graywolf323

Capcom US VP at the time Christian Svensson, stated that was the reason, and also stated the reason NA didnt get the PSP port was because of the "straight port" policy of SCEA. However now that we ARE getting it, I assume the policy is dead.

s17B8xs.png
BeOLXmr.png

nVnR3Ic.png

ding dong the witch is dead

one of the worst policies SCEA ever had

Imported the PSP version ages ago, but I'm goddamn glad to see it's coming to PSN.

As a matter of fact, I think my PSP is still on sleep mode, with the game on pause. Hm.

Top Bottom