• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of fire 3 coming to North America psn in February

Did you get the dragon transformation powers as kid Ryu both times I played the game perma locked up on me shortly after those powers were revealed.

And before anyone cries spoilers if you're in a BoF thread and don't know about Ryu's power to transform into a dragon then sorry/not sorry since it's basically the main unique gimmick of the franchise.

SkyOdin

Nah, it's maybe 4-6 hours of content in a 40+ hour game. It's the Midgar of Breath of Fire 3.
No, I'd agree with ULTROS on this one. The child arc is at least a third of the game. There is an intro arc of the game, but that only lasts two or so dungeons. You still play as child Ryu for a long time after that point.

To newcomers to BoF 3, I recommend that you don't consider the childhood arc to be an "intro" or tutorial. Once you get past
the house burning down
, then you are past the intro. At that point, you can access most of the game's core mechanics, such as Masters.

Korigama

Very good. I, too, have been waiting years for this opportunity.

EDIT: Oh wait, it's just the PSP version. Seems I jumped the gun.

Az987

all good things
Cool but I bet they'll charge $20 for it since its the psp version vs 5.99 - 9.99 for a PS Classic.

I bet that's why.

Cool but I bet they'll charge $20 for it since its the psp version vs 5.99 - 9.99 for a PS Classic.

I bet that's why.

From the Capcom blog.

We’ve got a special treat for you today; we’re happy to announce that Breath of Fire III is coming to PSN as a downloadable PSP game! We’ll have a few more details closer to launch, but you’ll be able to snag the game for $9.99 (USD) this February

I'll be grabbing this whenever it goes up. It'll be neat to have a PS1 RPG in widescreen for my PSTV.

SkyOdin

Did you get the dragon transformation powers as kid Ryu both times I played the game perma locked up on me shortly after those powers were revealed.

And before anyone cries spoilers if you're in a BoF thread and don't know about Ryu's power to transform into a dragon then sorry/not sorry since it's basically the main unique gimmick of the franchise.
Yeah, you get full access to dragon transformation fairly early in the game, during the childhood section. It is easily the best dragon transformation system in the series too.

Wow, wasn't expecting this.

I've already got physical copies of both the PS1 and PSP versions, but I may triple dip for this just to show BoF some love.

Paltheos

Nah, it's maybe 4-6 hours of content in a 40+ hour game. It's the Midgar of Breath of Fire 3.

That is not true lol. The beginning section of the game in the Yrall region is more akin to Midgar. The entire childhood section? I dunno - 40% of the game? I've played the whole thing a dozen times, and I'm telling you the childhood arc is a significant portion of it.

I just googled a video because I wanted to know myself - The first TAS video I found says more than 40% actually.

There's def. more to do as an adult though. Keeping that in mind, probably 30:70. This game's not heavy on sidequests, but there's some stuff you can do.

This is just so exciting.

This gives me hope for other missing PSP games like Crisis Core and Metal Gear Acid.

Always have hope, friends. This is a brave new world where almost nothing is lost forever.

SpotAnime

Awesome. Day 1 purchase for me, even though I finally tracked down a mint PS1 copy at TooManyGames last year for an affordable price. Being able to play this on the Vita is the biggest selling point.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Here's a question regarding the ending of the game:

Are you the protagonist or the antagonist? Because you're killing Myria, the protector of the world from harm, for revenge against the Brood (and you're the only one left) and to set the world free from her protection.

geardo

Holy shit! This was the game that I bought along with my ps1 back in the day (weird choice?). The fact that this hasn't been on psn has been a constant source of frustration for me. FUCKING FINALLY!

This gives me hope for other missing PSP games like Crisis Core and Metal Gear Acid.

Always have hope, friends. This is a brave new world where almost nothing is lost forever.

To be fair, when was the last time Square Enix released anything for the PSN? Some of their classics like Brave Fencer Musashi, Einhander, etc., are still yet to be seen.

ShinMaruku

Are you the protagonist or the antagonist? Because you're killing Myria, the protector of the world from harm, for revenge against the Brood (and you're the only one left) and to set the world free from her protection.
Myria is a created goddess in a lab to fight against the dragon god who is the true god, the Brood were taken out by her out of fear of the dragon god. Ryu is just the weapon against her.

The question is moreso:

Are Myria's intentions to really "protect" the world? Or is she on an egotistical power trip after engineering the slaughter of the otherwise docile Brood Clan? Keep in mind that this was the same Myria that conspired to destroy the light dragons, (also a docile clan of dragons) in BoF1.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
This is the first thing that came to mind. Those two PS1->PSP straight ports not making it out over here in the very early days of the PSP was really, really stupid.

Yeah Eternia looked pretty nice on PSP and was one of the first titles I was looking at on it since it was a launch window game. By the time I got a PSP it was hard to import and I got a faulty used copy so I didn't try to get another.

Myria's "protection" consists of keeping freedom at bay by locking away potentially dangerous creatures in her garden (cage) of safety. Freedom vs. safety has been a long philosophical debate.

The way I see it Ryu is the hero because now thanks to him, the world is free to make their own destiny. That much is told by the ending sequence (Myria & her sister, the group gazing confidently into the horizon).

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
we’re happy to announce that Breath of Fire III is coming to PSN as a downloadable PSP game!

ONLY TEN YEARS LATE. FFS, SCEA. That stupid ass policy of needing new things in ports was bullshit. Good to see that Cerny or whoever told you to knock that shit off.

I'll buy this port when it's $5.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Oh well, even if I manage to get another PS3 I still won't be able to play this game.

Do you have an Android phone or PC?

If yes: Buy off PSN. Download PSP Eboot.PBP from PSN on the webstore. Download PPSSPP for Android/PC. ?????????. PROFIT!
If no: Get a PC. Do same steps of yes. ???????. PROFIT!

PPSSPP has been able to do legit store purchases for a year or two now, IIRC.

Takao

Banned
Nice, now someone tell Namco to get Tales of Eternia PSP up as well.

Capcom makes it a point to resell their back catalog. If Square Enix were to ever touch their PSP games again, they'd probably just wind up porting them (see: Star Ocean 2). Konami is just ... well.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Capcom makes it a point to resell their back catalog. If Square Enix were to ever touch their PSP games again, they'd probably just wind up porting them (see: Star Ocean 2). Konami is just ... well.

I hope this means that Capcom will port Breath of Fire I and II to PS4/Xbox One/PC through Digital Eclipse. I'm assuming the Mega Man Legacy Collection did well for them.

Top Bottom