• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry Performance Analysis: The Division beta (PS4 Vs. Xbox One)

https://youtu.be/nBC3odtMRU0

We've dug deep into both PS4 and Xbox One betas, and ultimately the answer to this lies in the game's performance, rather than visuals. Both are capped at 30fps, and each holds strong at this number around Manhattan's most hotly-contested zones. Main story missions run without a hitch on PS4, while "go to X and defeat Y" style side-missions run equally well - on Sony's machine we encounter no spikes in the target 33.3ms render time needed to hit this frame-rate.

Xbox One is almost as solid too, with just minor issues. You get a near-locked 30fps, but in blowing the front doors during the Madison Field Hospital main mission, it shows a 28fps lurch downward not seen on the rival console. An adaptive v-sync is revealed at this point, and with screen-tear kicking in for a block of frames on our graph. But this is a one-off, and in scouring The Division for any other hits to performance on this machine, all side-missions come out at a flawless 30fps, and it's only a later shootout in a diner that flags a second instance of a performance drop.
Across the run of play, it's unlikely that any console owner will be unhappy with The Division's performance level - it's remarkably tight on both systems for most of the duration, but the PS4's absolute consistency in all cases is creditable.

However, with a 30fps cap in place, any true frame-rate margin between these machines is shrouded in mystery, with only hints of the divide flaring up. Otherwise the two are identical in the other key technical facets; PS4 and Xbox One push a full native 1920x1080 resolution, backed by a perceptible match for the SMAA x1 technique used on PC.

More details here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-the-division-beta-performance-analysis

leeh

So the same then pretty much, that's great going. Can't wait to start the beta this afternoon, been too busy to have a go.

Is this the very first DX12 Xbox One game to hit the market, except Fable Legends beta? Wondering if it's got something to do with the good performance. I know that's more bound to give Xbox One a CPU advantage rather than a GPU one, but maybe in an open world context like this, it helps.

SgtCobra

Is this the very first DX12 Xbox One game to hit the market, except Fable Legends beta? Wondering if it's got something to do with the good performance. I know that'smore bound to give a CPU advantage to Xbox One, but maybe in an open world context like this, it helps.
Perhaps, but I wouldn't put too much credit into it. Software changes won't close the gap when the other console has better hardware.

Caayn

Solid performance all-around. Nice job! (No I'm not sarcastic)
So both looks same...
Not entirely. Some scenes show subtle differences. Like this one, the texture on the stand is sharper on the PS4 than on the XB1 for example.
naamloos0vswh.png

Cynn

If both games were forced 900p for parity I'd understand complaints. Instead, both are great performers and 1080p. Awesome for everyone!

Edit: The chromatic aberration in the game destroys a really clean image so I suggest you turn it off no matter what version you play. It's sooooo much better.

If both games were forced 900p for parity I'd understand complaints. Instead, both are great performers and 1080p. Awesome for everyone!

Huh ps4 is significantly more powerful, both being 1080p just proves ubi soft is serious about parity, since all there others games are the same 900p resolution. And almost every game that's graphically taxing has a higher resolution on ps4.

omonimo

Banned
They could use the approximate 40 % of more gpu resources for some extra feature on ps4. Where on xbone is rather impressive such result at 1080p , on ps4 2 fps of advantage in some scene seems really the minimun expected.

theWB27

Huh ps4 is significantly more powerful, both being 1080p just proves ubi soft is serious about parity, since all there others games are the same 900p resolution. And almost every game that's graphically taxing has a higher resolution on ps4.

So should the ps4 version be higher than 1080p? Should the x1 version be 900p even though it can hit 1080? Should the ps4 version look miles better with the same framerate? Should it be 60 frames? Because I hear that the ps4 version does in fact look better in places.

Chobel

It's not like they can increase the resolution here.

omonimo

Banned
So should the ps4 version be higher than 1080p? Should the x1 version be 900p even though it can hit 1080? Should the ps4 version look miles better with the same framerate? Should it be 60 frames? Because I hear that the ps4 version does in fact look better in places.
Where? The article talk of some casual texture glitch on xbone.

KKRT00

People really need to understand that this is an MMO. MMO workloads vary, especially in end game, significantly.
There is possibility that final game has much more player vs player vs pve interactions that require more GPU time and in that case Xbone version will drop heavily when PS4 wont at all.
Parity is a stupid term for games with varied, unpredictable workloads.

theWB27

Where? The article talk of some casual texture glitch on xbone.

Neogaf

But you know what....this title will prove that devs can do no right. If a game pushes graphics they'll get punished for shitty performance.

Make a good looking game that performs wonderfully and they'll get punished because. ..omg the ps4 should be better.

Let's praise massive for making a game that performs rock solid.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
It's a useless joke. Ps4 has showed more than a time on multiplat significantly more power.

Oh I agree. I own all three platforms and parity for PS4 makes me upset because I'll be playing on PS4 and I would like to see the extra power put to use.

And it further makes me upset because thing like Global Ilumination were torn out of the PC version because of consoles. The game still looks amazing on PC, but it would've been transcendent with GI.

Overall though, after playing both the PC and PS4 beta. (might try it on my One today just for the hell of it), it's a great looking game. So it's hard to be TOO upset. Mild salt.

Conduit

Banned
Solid performance all-around. Nice job! (No I'm not sarcastic)
Not entirely. Some scenes show subtle differences. Like this one, the texture on the stand is sharper on the PS4 than on the XB1 for example.
naamloos0vswh.png

Look the letters also. Xbone has a slightly blurrier image

obHwjix.png

Pif

Banned
Why do devs go for this parity shit?

It's a shame, if the game runs this good on X1 I wonder what PS4 can trully do.

Caayn

Look the letters also. Xbone has a slightly blurrier image
It does indeed seem so. The metal wall thingy on which the weapons are placed in the background is slightly blurrier on the XB1 version as well.

So:

PS4 - Better performance, no tearing, slightly sharper image/textures.

It's mind boggling how some here think ps4 is soms supermachine which should give double the performance of Xbone. It's a goddamn laptop GPU. I own one to but am keeping my expectations realistic. It's scary to see most of GAF hold on to the myth the PS4 should somehow considerably beter.

Play on PC if you are expecting a performance an IQ leap. Or else just settle in with the console version and be happy with it instead of nitpicking a small fuckin texture somewhere in the game which seems different between de console version.

Game looks and runs great on PS4. I am glad the Xbone users will be getting the same experience - it's about god damn time! Good times for everyone!

KKRT00

And it further makes me upset because thing like Global Ilumination were torn out of the PC version because of consoles. The game still looks amazing on PC, but it would've been transcendent with GI.

Do You have any examples of this?

This screenshot looks like it using GI from the left light source:
thedivision_pano_2_by_roderickartist-d9pts3d.png

Damn, i wish i had a beta.

I'm surprised DF missed this.

Seems to be a lesser implementation of AA or CA, I think. The second image in the gallery is the biggest tell-tale if you look at the tree on the right and the scaffolding across the roof - a lot of pixel break-up.

Theorry

Its a looker tho. Also on Xbox One. Its great that you can toggle off CA also on consoles and increase the sharpness. Helps alot with the game. To get rid of the soft look.

screen1cyqac.png

screen4n0qka.png

So the difference is pretty much negligible. Good for XBone owners. Also, the game looking this good and running at 1080p on XBone is one hell of an accomplishment. Good job.

Top Bottom