• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Marvels (Busiek/Alex Ross)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
so I've found it while rearranging my shelf, and realized I hadn't reread it in years after buying it at launch. I remember feeling awestruck at Ross' art and Busiek's story was really well made, he isn't afraid of showing the main character, reporter Phil Sheldon getting carried away by racism for example, and it perfectly outlines Marvel's various eras ending with a dark omen about the '80s in terms of comic book trends. Never saw a book drawn in such a style before, was left completely mindblown. Still a great reread today. Remember it, Gaf?

some delicious panels to make this OP more interesting
marvels-by-alex-ross.jpg

Marvels_05.jpg

easteregg7-2-2.jpg

marvels_1_0.jpg

marvels-sent.jpg

rossartist2.jpg

Scan12036.jpg

Mumei

It really is a great introduction to Marvel comics. Still somehow not my favorite Busiek, but definitely worth reading.

Slayven

I can ID eveyrone except the fat green guy. I want to say it is Radioactive Man. The floating mummy is The Looter

jph139

The Namor vs. Human Torch fight in the first issue is one of the best in Marvel history - the splash page of the tidal wave washing through prewar New York? Awe-inspiring.

EDIT: In fact, here it is!

Cafeman

I remember reading it before I knew who Alex Ross was. Fantastic set of 4 comics! I can't remember it .. thanks for posting so much.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
The Namor vs. Human Torch fight in the first issue is one of the best in Marvel history - the splash page of the tidal wave washing through prewar New York? Awe-inspiring.

EDIT: In fact, here it is!

indeed, that was the first mindblowing moment for me. Reading it for the first time was...woah. Nice tension building up to that scene, too, with Phil being basically the only one in the entire city to go straight in the opposite direction (and getting a brick in the face)

I've never been a fan of Alex Ross' art as interiors. As far as covers and posters go, I love it, but I don't know if I can read a whole book of it. Does that make sense?

Thing is I haven't really read any of his stories, so I can't really judge too much. Just whenever I see pages of it...still, I really want to read Kingdom Come, so I'll have to get over it.

You haven't read Kingdom Come? What the hell is wrong with you?

And Marvels really is fantastic as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom