• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2014. Another year of nothing will be the same ever again. EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really excited for this. Laughed several times while reading the preview (I especially like that the counter says "Hot Sammiches"). I know it's going to get cancelled fast, but I'm on board.

I hope not. The art is great and it seems like it's going to be a fun story. Plus there's the fact that it adds some very much-needed diversity to Marvel's line-up.

I. Care. NOT.

Great issue of Uncanny Avengers this week, continuing a fantastic streak.
Superior Spider-Man was intense and thoroughly enjoyable as usual.
I didn't enjoy Thor: God of Thunder as much this time with the drunk, vomiting dragon. Maybe reading it after Uncanny Avengers soured me a little. Looking forward to King Thor versus Galactus.

Wow man, thanks for all the helpful advice. It'll be quite some time before I check any of this out though, I wanna catch up to The Walking Dead this way I have something to look forward to every month. After that will either be Saga and more Image stuff (the stuff Donnie recommended) or Batman/New 52 stuff and since I loved the Ultimate Spider-Man game, I guess Ultimate Spider-Man (I know some things that happen, sounds pretty intense). I wonder how I'll get ahold of all of these comics!

I think I'll be set for a few years, haha. Thanks guys!

Haha, well enjoy man, let us all know how you get on and what you check out and enjoy :) most of this can be bought on amazon or digitally via comixology. I'm no manga buff but there's definitely plenty out there, maybe someone in here will chirp up with some recommendations that way. I think you got some really good superhero book recommendations too, now you get to do the fun bit :)

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
1305852_ful.jpg
1305899_ful.jpg
1306285_ful.jpg

1293592_ful.jpg
1306190_ful.jpg
1306056_ful.jpg

1306050_ful.jpg
1298994_ful.jpg
1306062_ful.jpg

1305997_ful.jpg

I'm having a real hard time picking my Picks of the Month. I have a definitive top 5, but reducing it is hard.

Also: More of you should be reading Soule's Thunderbolts.

So I'm going to a comic store for the first time this wednesday to get Ms Marvel and maybe some other stuff. Do I need to preorder new releases or will I be able to walk in and buy what I want? No idea how this works lol.

So I'm going to a comic store for the first time this wednesday to get Ms Marvel and maybe some other stuff. Do I need to preorder new releases or will I be able to walk in and buy what I want? No idea how this works lol.

That's generally how it works. Once you get into a regular groove of buying comics, you might want to set up a pull-list so the books you read get set aside for you automatically. Some stores charge a fee for this service, some don't. Thankfully, mine does not. And I get a 10% discount to boot.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member

Some stores are great at having copies of everything. My last store had copies of every series I wanted and I never had a list there. I could try out any Image series I was thinking of trying. My new store only carries a few extra copies of DC/Marvel stuff.

Unless it's a tiny shop you should just be able to walk in if you're going on Wednesday. If you really like the shop you can create a pull list and they will take whatever books you want off the shelf and put it in a box that you can pick up whenever you want to make sure you're getting whatever books you're following every week. Some places even give discounts for customers with pull lists.

Owzers

Hawkeye #9: I'm not that familiar with Hawkeye but it seems like Fraction is trying to
Peter Parker Clint by making him the worst person with relationships ever. He signs divorce papers the say day Spider-Woman slaps him a bit for sleeping with another woman. I'm not to fond of piling on to characters for development.
This book should be about Kate.

Toa TAK

Banned
What's your guys honest opinion on the whole "New 52" line for DC?

I'm interested in Batman and maybe Superman, Wonder Woman, and the Flash. Are they good? I wanna read some quality DC.

Brandon Graham is gonna be announcing a Kickstarter tomorrow in partnership with his buddy Robin McConnell, who hosts the comic podcast Inkstuds. It's gonna be some kind of traveling thing, I don't know. The 500th episode of Inkstuds is dropping tomorrow and I think Graham will be on it.

I'm pretty excited for this because Brandon Graham plus Kickstarter might equal awesome fresh limited signed Graham goodness.

In other Vancouver-based creators news, The Hollywood Reporter announced that Sheltered is being made into a movie.

I'm interested in Batman and maybe Superman, Wonder Woman, and the Flash. Are they good? I wanna read some quality DC.

New 52 as a whole? Meh. But then I was never really a big DC fan. I pick and choose, though. Wonder Woman and Batman, I like. Red Lanterns can be fun as well.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
So what other book would Planetary be comparable to? It's one of those books where the concept of it and what I've heard about it just don't make me want to read it, but then everyone keeps talking about how amazing it is and how they're double-dipping on it because it's so good.
I think the main reason it hasn't caught my attention is because I feel like it'll have the same tone as Watchmen, which I wasn't a fan of at all, but that's probably not true.

I think the main reason it hasn't caught my attention is because I feel like it'll have the same tone as Watchmen, which I wasn't a fan of at all, but that's probably not true.

Nah, it's nothing like Watchmen. Watchmen was depressing. This is more sci-fi adventure-y.

ReiGun

As a whole, I think DC is in a better place quality-wise than they were a year or two ago. There's still a lot of mediocre stuff, but that's to be expected considering the sheer number of books they're putting out.

As for what you asked about specifically:

Batman: Scott Synder's Batman has been good from the start. Batman and Robin as well. Don't read to much else from the Batman line myself anymore, but Batgirl is supposed to be good. I was also into Batwoman for the first eighteen (I think...whenever the Wonder Woman team up ends) issues.

Superman: The Superman line, currently, is the best it's been since the New 52 started. Action Comics (starting with issue 25; though Grant Morrison's "Superman and the Men of Steel" is worth a look too), Superman Unchained, Batman/Superman, and Superman/Wonder Woman are all good.

Wonder Woman: While I'm probably one of the few that isn't ready to put this as "the best Wundar Wimmen run evar!!!!" the book has been good since the beginning and I can at least see why others might think so.

Flash: I couldn't really get into Flash. It's a very beautiful looking book, but the story never grabbed me.

Other books you might want to check out: Earth 2, Green Arrow (start with issue 17), Aquaman, Swamp Thing

Dysun

Batman, Batman and Robin and Batman Inc (while it lasted) were great. Although it felt like a very soft reboot.

Superman has been a disaster until recently with Superman/WW and Pak's Action Comics.

Johns Aquaman has been fantastic, but it just ended. Johns JL has been up and down so far. Throne of Atlantis was damn good but the beginning arc was a meh retread. Forever Evil has dragged a bit but that's to be expected with these DC events now.

Flash had fantastic art, but a pedestrian story. Azzarello's Wonder Woman gets great word of mouth but I haven't read it.

Overall I've enjoyed parts of it, but still plenty of room for improvement.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
But is it the same sort of intellectual, no-fun thing that Watchmen is?

It's more..accessible I guess is the right word? I really liked Watchmen but Planetary is something I look forward to rereading every couple of years.

Toa TAK

Banned
New 52 as a whole? Meh. But then I was never really a big DC fan. I pick and choose, though. Wonder Woman and Batman, I like. Red Lanterns can be fun as well.
As a whole, I think DC is in a better place quality-wise than they were a year or two ago. There's still a lot of mediocre stuff, but that's to be expected considering the sheer number of books they're putting out.

As for what you asked about specifically:

Batman: Scott Synder's Batman has been good from the start. Batman and Robin as well. Don't read to much else from the Batman line myself anymore, but Batgirl is supposed to be good. I was also into Batwoman for the first eighteen (I think...whenever the Wonder Woman team up ends) issues.

Superman: The Superman line, currently, is the best it's been since the New 52 started. Action Comics (starting with issue 25; though Grant Morrison's "Superman and the Men of Steel" is worth a look too), Superman Unchained, Batman/Superman, and Superman/Wonder Woman are all good.

Wonder Woman: While I'm probably one of the few that isn't ready to put this as "the best Wundar Wimmen run evar!!!!" the book has been good since the beginning and I can at least see why others might think so.

Flash: I couldn't really get into Flash. It's a very beautiful looking book, but the story never grabbed me.

Other books you might want to check out: Earth 2, Green Arrow (start with issue 17), Aquaman, Swamp Thing
Batman, Batman and Robin and Batman Inc (while it lasted) were great. Although it felt like a very soft reboot.

Superman has been a disaster until recently with Superman/WW and Pak's Action Comics.

Johns Aquaman has been fantastic, but it just ended. Johns JL has been up and down so far. Throne of Atlantis was damn good but the beginning arc was a meh retread. Forever Evil has dragged a bit but that's to be expected with these DC events now.

Flash had fantastic art, but a pedestrian story. Azzarello's Wonder Woman gets great word of mouth but I haven't read it.

Overall I've enjoyed parts of it, but still plenty of room for improvement.

Interesting here, folks. If anything it sounds like Wonder Woman might be the better received line, then Batman. I think I'll hold off and wait for a Volume 1 set for WW and Batman, unless there already is one.

I read a few, and I didn't really like them. They reeked of cash-grab.
Damn, that's a shame. But expected as well.

ReiGun

Interesting here, folks. If anything it sounds like Wonder Woman might be the better received line, then Batman. I think I'll hold off and wait for a Volume 1 set for WW and Batman, unless there already is one.

Both Wonder Woman and Batman have been released in trade up to volume 3. WW's volume 1 is called "Blood" and Batman's is "Court of Owls."

But is it the same sort of intellectual, no-fun thing that Watchmen is?

It's pretty much the exact opposite of that. Planetary is fundamentally convinced that the strange stuff in its world is amazing and valuable, in terms of both the plot and theme. It heavily references things but in a very loving way, and never sets out to crack its tropes in half for the sake of darkness, except to the degree that is necessary for antagonists to exist. Even though bad things do happen in the book, it is ultimately positive and incredibly fun.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
It's really nothing like Watchmen. It's kinda like superhero X-Files.

It's more..accessible I guess is the right word? I really liked Watchmen but Planetary is something I look forward to rereading every couple of years.

It's pretty much the exact opposite of that. Planetary is fundamentally convinced that the strange stuff in its world is amazing and valuable, in terms of both the plot and theme. It heavily references things but in a very loving way, and never sets out to crack its tropes in half for the sake of darkness, except to the degree that is necessary for antagonists to exist. Even though bad things do happen in the book, it is ultimately positive and incredibly fun.

Thanks a lot, guys. I'll definitely consider it.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Picked up TMNT for a lark, haven't read it yet but flipped through and WOW that art is wonderful. I see an anthropomorphic fox in there though. Getting furry vibes. WHAT HAVE I DONE??

Swap out Superman for Action Comics and that there are probably the best DC books right now. Start at the start and away you go. You might also want to try Justice League.

My honest opinion is that the rest of the line isn't that good at all and DC are having their butts handed to them creatively by Marvel and Image this past couple of years. But I've already had this fight this month so I'll leave it at that!

I liked the Minutemen and Silk Spectre ones. All the other ones ranged from mediocre to horrible.

I would say the Minutemen is genuinely a very good comic book. Darwyn Cooke is the fucking man, and him working with 50s superheroes is so squarely in his wheelhouse. I expected the worst but I loved it to bits. Silk Spectre was also great, Cooke and Amanda Connor make a great team. It had heart.

The rest of the books were pretty blah though I thought. Nice art on the Rorschach book but the grim and gritty tone felt a bit too much like homage to taxi driver and the original watchmen.

I like to preach about following creators and not characters, but I'll admit that Winter Soldier at marvel is one of my big weak spots. That Bru Cap run really blew me away back when it launched and I've always had a soft spot for the character since. Obviously since his book got cancelled he's been fairly off the radar so I should be happy that he's back in a few books now but I'm just so eh at these Invaders previews. I really hope Edmondson or Kot get their hands on Bucky at some point, if not in a book of his own, at least appearing in Black Widow or Secret Avengers. Either make plenty of sense. That or Latour getting another run at him.

Picked up TMNT for a lark, haven't read it yet but flipped through and WOW that art is wonderful. I see an anthropomorphic fox in there though. Getting furry vibes. WHAT HAVE I DONE??

Hahah, Campbell man! You should read Shadoweyes, you'll be getting all kinds of strange funky vibes from that. Incredible art too. I have a copy of his self printed book Mountain Girl too that I bought off him (which also had a cool little personal message on the inside cover - what a guy) and yea, Campbell is so awesome. I hope Glory (as much as I disliked the writing) and this turtles gig are the stepping stones to him really really sustaining a comics career, I know he's considered hanging it up before.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I like to preach about following creators and not characters, but I'll admit that Winter Soldier at marvel is one of my big weak spots. That Bru Cap run really blew me away back when it launched and I've always had a soft spot for the character since. Obviously since his book got cancelled he's been fairly off the radar so I should be happy that he's back in a few books now but I'm just so eh at these Invaders previews. I really hope Edmondson or Kot get their hands on Bucky at some point, if not in a book of his own, at least appearing in Black Widow or Secret Avengers. Either make plenty of sense. That or Latour getting another run at him.

Hahah, Campbell man! You should read Shadoweyes, you'll be getting all kinds of strange funky vibes from that. Incredible art too. I have a copy of his self printed book Mountain Girl too that I bought off him (which also had a cool little personal message on the inside cover - what a guy) and yea, Campbell is so awesome. I hope Glory (as much as I disliked the writing) and this turtles gig are the stepping stones to him really really sustaining a comics career, I know he's considered hanging it up before.

I thought his art on Glory was really spectacular but the story didn't grab me quite enough for the long haul. I really loved the physicality of Glory, he should be on a Wonder Woman book asap drawing her like a massive sexy Gina Carano. As I said before, his people are so wonderfully fleshy and solid.

Furious #1 was a mixed bag for me. The art was nice in some spots (outside of a weird thing i noticed with her hair in the scene where she's in the convenience store - i'd chalk it up to miscommunication if it weren't one guy doing the art) and i still like the concept, but i don't think it delivered on it well. it's also darker than i thought i'd be, which i wouldn't mind but it's more dark in a dull DC way. the narration is iffy in some parts too (that last page, basically). I may be on board for #2 to see if it gets anymore interesting.

arkon

I hear he is appearing in the last few issues of the current Secret Avengers run, before Kot goes solo on writing duties. Not sure if he's on Kot's team for the new run though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom