• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2014. Another year of nothing will be the same ever again. EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear he is appearing in the last few issues of the current Secret Avengers run, before Kot goes solo on writing duties. Not sure if he's on Kot's team for the new run though.

I'm reading by trade man but I think you're right. I believe there's something been set up that's not been paid off with him yet but I wasn't sure if that had went by the wayside with Spencer moving onto Avengers World.I think Bucky is the perfect kind of character to inhabit the kind of worlds Kot wants to write though, so it'd be great if he was there in the new run. I think he's going to show up in Remender's run of Cap soon enough too but like I said, Edmondson and Kot are writing actual espionage books. It's nice to see him show up in general and get some spotlight in the more neutral (and more popular) cape books like Invaders or the more classic tone Remender seems to be going for with Cap, but I want to see him under someone going for that gritty world of greys tone.

I believe Aaron has name checked him alongside Fury and Punisher for Original Sin though, pretty amped for that and the tone Aaron's looking to hit with that series. A proper gritty murder detective mystery intertwined with equal measures Steranko and Kirby, sounds crazy.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Just read the first Issues of the Matt Fraction Iron Man Run in the first of those two amazing Omnibusses. What a amazing work, I just love it, one of the best modern work Ive read in years I am really excited to read the rest :)

Mindwipe

Ms. Marvel #1 preview up at CBR.

This seems good so far. And dat art!

I like that a lot.

Unfortunately my feelings haven't changed since it was announced - it'll be dead and gone within two years, and then Marvel will announce to great fanfare that they're launching a female muslim superhero for the first time ever! while trying to pretend this book never happened.

Again.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
That Turtles book was pretty good, very impressed. The furry thing is a bit weird, but the art is so good, and it had a lightness of touch to it that I appreciated. I might actually read more of it!

I like that a lot.

Unfortunately my feelings haven't changed since it was announced - it'll be dead and gone within two years, and then Marvel will announce to great fanfare that they're launching a female muslim superhero for the first time ever! while trying to pretend this book never happened.

Again.

lol WHAT?

EVEN if it gets cancelled, EVEN if they start another series with a female muslim superhero, when has that ever happened before??

I mean, did Dust get a solo series when I wasn't looking?

dan2026

That Turtles book was pretty good, very impressed. The furry thing is a bit weird, but the art is so good, and it had a lightness of touch to it that I appreciated. I might actually read more of it!

The Turtles book has been one of IDW's best since its conception.

Hell its the best TMNT piece of media ever produced in my opinion.

Kaladin

I haven't been reading graphic novels or comics for a while, but the recent release of Snowpiercer got me interested in graphic novel series again.

I've got Snowpiercer Vol. 1 and Saga Vol. 1. Is there anything else along those lines that I might be interested in?

I haven't been reading graphic novels or comics for a while, but the recent release of Snowpiercer got me interested in graphic novel series again.

I've got Snowpiercer Vol. 1 and Saga Vol. 1. Is there anything else along those lines that I might be interested in?
I don't know how long "a while" is, but if you haven't read Y: The Last Man you should give it a try. But it ended years ago so maybe you were reading comics at the time and already know about it.

Kaladin

I don't know how long "a while" is, but if you haven't read Y: The Last Man you should give it a try. But it ended years ago so maybe you were reading comics at the time and already know about it.

I've read Y. It has maybe been a year or so since I've followed comics or graphic novels.

So likely more recent stuff.

Read through Secret Avengers volume one by Spencer & Ross today. After the wild ride reading through Hickman's Avengers & New Avengers, this was never going to stand up to that, but even in a bubble it doesn't seem to be the most it could be. I like the general plot: the clever solution to their problem with the iron patriot drones involving Banner, the way they tell the story in the aftermath of
the attack on AIM island
, just the general elevation of AIM is pretty great. Basically, I enjoyed the story and the telling of the story, how he got to each thing, and I'm really looking forward to them getting to
Forson's visions of the future/Jocasta plot thread

The deeper problem was probably the characters though, which is surprising to me since I generally think the opposite when I think of Spencer; good handle on character, not always so good with plotting. This is the first book I've read the new Fury jnr. and Coulson in, and I just wasn't feeling anything from them. This is the first time I've read a book with Mockingbird in it too and while she was more likeable than the first two, I also didn't get any sort of feel for her. I couldn't really tell you anything about her bar what her powers are and she likes pranks. Spencer doesn't really go any way towards explaining why they joined up, their personal investment, anything like that. Right now it feels like the plot is ticking away nicely while I'm being held out in suspense on the character development.

Reviews seem to reflect the book has generally got better and better from it's launch so I'll get volume 2 for sure, but I was surprised by what worked for me and what didn't, given the writer on board. It lacks his usual handle on ensemble casts, and the plot isn't really intriguing or crazy enough to make up for it basically.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Just read the first Issues of the Matt Fraction Iron Man Run in the first of those two amazing Omnibusses. What a amazing work, I just love it, one of the best modern work Ive read in years I am really excited to read the rest :)

Glad to see this. I've got the first hardcover volume/omnibus sitting on my shelf still in shrinkwrap. I really ought to read it soon.

Man Guardians may have just lost me.

This xmen arc feels so contrived. Gladiator also seems reallly out of character especially since hes battle buddies with the avengers now.

Seems like Bendis was like "yeah i can tie these books together" and just shit it out.

It'd be cool if we actually got some characterization in the book.

Owzers

Batman #22: Better than 21 for sure, it seemed a little better paced and more interesting overall. Liked it. ( *still hates the new 52*)

Man Guardians may have just lost me.

This xmen arc feels so contrived. Gladiator also seems reallly out of character especially since hes battle buddies with the avengers now.

Seems like Bendis was like "yeah i can tie these books together" and just shit it out.

It'd be cool if we actually got some characterization in the book.

Bendis is so weird, he has plot-driven comics (his Avengers books, Secret Invasion, GotG) and character-driven books (All-New X-Men, Ultimate Spider-Man). His plot-driven books are uniformly terrible, with characters speaking interchangeable dialogue, random characterization, and lackluster climaxes. His character-driven books are can be really good (Ultimate Spider-Man), but typically have little to no plot or a plot that meanders and really doesn't go anywhere or have any sort of pay-off. The All-New X-Men's side of the Trial of Jean Grey crossover seems promising because All-New X-Men is heavily character driven and there are so many great moments of character interaction. The GotG side, however, has been lacking good and consistent (with regards to a character's history) characterization from the beginning.

And don't get me started on his inability to write and pace an interesting fight scene...

For the few here who have yet to check it out, Superior Spider-Man Volume 1: My Own Worst Enemy is the deal of the day on ComiXology. $3.99 with code SPIDERMAN.

Xis

Are there any good Red Lanterns? Like, righteous anger, or Hulk type "I'm-always-angry-but-can-still-be-heroic?"

That's kind of the direction all of them have been going since they got their own series. Atrocitus wants to turn them into a force for vengeance against those who have harmed others, but he has mixed results.

Got a hold of Uncanny Avengers 6 & 7, and Cap 11 & 12. Despised the first 4 issues of Uncanny and Escape from Dimension Z didn't really appeal to me but there's been such a ruckus over Uncanny in here lately, I wanted to give Remender another chance. Will let y'all know my thoughts at some point.

Are there any good Red Lanterns? Like, righteous anger, or Hulk type "I'm-always-angry-but-can-still-be-heroic?"

The closest to that was probably
Ratchet
, but
he is dead now

The thing about Red Lanterns is that they tend to start out from pure hot rage so it takes a strong force of character to temper that into something more "righteous". Guy and Rankorr are pretty close, with Guy being a particularly good candidate at this point. Bleez is more of a Starcream analogue but she seems to be mellowing out quite a bit. Skallox and Zilius haven't had enough characterization yet but they actually seem pretty mild all things considered.

The real answer of course is Dex-Star.

I'm loving the heck out of Kelly Sue Deconnick's Avengers Assemble. The way the characters interact, it reminds me of Joe Kelly's JLA run; that light tone of banter that strikes the right balance between clever and goofy. And her "voice" for Spider-Woman is probably the best one out there.

Got a hold of Uncanny Avengers 6 & 7, and Cap 11 & 12. Despised the first 4 issues of Uncanny and Escape from Dimension Z didn't really appeal to me but there's been such a ruckus over Uncanny in here lately, I wanted to give Remender another chance. Will let y'all know my thoughts at some point.

Single issues? First time I remember hearing you speak of buying single issues. Neat.

I haven't read much Remender. I'm one of these born-again comic readers. I think I've only read one issue of Uncanny Avengers and then Deadly Class #1. He's pretty narration heavy, which I often find boring. But I loved Deadly Class.

The real answer of course is Dex-Star.

Dex-Starr is a freaking hero for
saving Atrocitus the way he did. I don't care about Atrocitus but
that's loyalty, man. I'm enjoying getting to know the Red Lantern characters. I love the rage angle for some reason, I don't know why, ha. Guess I relate? Can't wait to finally read Red Lanterns #27 today XD

. . .

So funny how Slott's She-Hulk starts with Tubthumping. If you were old enough to form memories when that song came out, it was so like that. Fucking song played everywhere. That chorus.. That nonstop chorus!

First issue was good but I have mixed feelings about her characterization. The only version of She-Hulk I know (and love) is Byrne's. Gonna try the next issue, though. Wouldn't be surprised if I bought the whole lot, in the end.

Uptown Top Pull List Ranking

Wolverine
Ms. Marvel
The Punisher
She-Hulk
Winter Soldier: The Bitter March
Captain America
Superior Spider-Man
Loki: Agent of Asgard
Thor: God of Thunder
X-Force
Inhuman
Black Widow
Avengers A.I.
Avengers
All New X-Men
Guardians of the Galaxy
Mighty Avengers
New Avengers
Secret Avengers
Uncanny Avengers
Daredevil
Hawkeye
Indestructible Hulk
Amazing X-Men
Uncanny X-Men
Wolverine & the X-Men
Deadpool

Batman
The Wake

The Fuse
Black Science
Deadly Class
Fatale
Manhattan Projects
Pretty Deadly
Satellite Sam
Sex Criminals
Velvet

Abe Sapien
B.P.R.D.: Hell On Earth
Catalyst Comics
Lobster Johnson: Get The Lobster
The White Suits

4g7.jpg

Shrug......could work.

Single issues? First time I remember hearing you speak of buying single issues. Neat.

I haven't read much Remender. I'm one of these born-again comic readers. I think I've only read one issue of Uncanny Avengers and then Deadly Class #1. He's pretty narration heavy, which I often find boring. But I loved Deadly Class.

Dex-Starr is a freaking hero for
saving Atrocitus the way he did. I don't care about Atrocitus but
that's loyalty, man. I'm enjoying getting to know the Red Lantern characters. I love the rage angle for some reason, I don't know why, ha. Guess I relate? Can't wait to finally read Red Lanterns #27 today XD

. . .

So funny how Slott's She-Hulk starts with Tubthumping. If you were old enough to form memories when that song came out, it was so like that. Fucking song played everywhere. That chorus.. That nonstop chorus!

First issue was good but I have mixed feelings about her characterization. The only version of She-Hulk I know (and love) is Byrne's. Gonna try the next issue, though. Wouldn't be surprised if I bought the whole lot, in the end.

His early issues of UA weren't good. His ones after the first arc godlike.

You need to look up his UXF TPB. Really godlike.

I'm loving the heck out of Kelly Sue Deconnick's Avengers Assemble. The way the characters interact, it reminds me of Joe Kelly's JLA run; that light tone of banter that strikes the right balance between clever and goofy. And her "voice" for Spider-Woman is probably the best one out there.

DAMN IT I WANTED TO STOP READING THIS, SPIKE

Oh snap, I'm gonna have to check this out. Spider-Woman is a character I've always been interested in.

His early issues of UA weren't good. His ones after the first arc godlike.

You need to look up his UXF TPB. Really godlike.

I read the issue where
Rogue dies or "dies" I don't know which.
wanted to peek in because everyone was flipping out. But obviously with an issue like that you have to be into the characters and aware of the history for it to really resonate. My reaction was basically huh, ok, neat.

Ephidel

Last day for Pull list Rankings, if you haven't already please post your pull list for february.
Hm, it's not like me to have missed a chance to make a list :p

Pull List for February:

Uber

Boom
Suicide Risk

Dark Horse
Conan the Barbarian
Massive
Mind Mgmt

DC
Batman Lil Gotham
Coffin Hill
DC Universe vs. The Masters of the Universe (I can't find it in the solicits, but previews has it listed)
He-Man and the Masters of the Universe
Justice League 3000
Larfleeze
Sandman Overture (I think it's been pushed back to March?)
Trillium

Dynamite
Robotech/Voltron

Image (I used the Image website for Febs releases)
Aphrodite IX
Black Science
Deadly Class
Fuse
Great Pacific
Nowhere Men
Pretty Deadly
Rat Queens
Sex Criminals
Think Tank
Three
Umbral
Velvet (bumped to March?)

Marvel
All New X-Factor
Avengers
Captain America (although I'm buying this for the trade code tbh)
Hawkeye
Loki Agent of Asgard
Mighty Avengers
Ms Marvel
New Avengers
Revolutionary War
Wolverine and the X-Men
X-Force
X-Men Legacy

Oni
Letter 44

Valiant
Archer & Armstrong
Bloodshot and H.A.R.D. Corps
Eternal Warrior
Unity
X-O Manowar

wait wtf were we supposed to put our pull lists in quotes or were we not supposed to put our pull lists in quotes wthhhh?????????????????????????????

?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom