• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2014. Another year of nothing will be the same ever again. EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
with Trillium, Forever Evil, and Superman Unchained ending soon my DC list looks like:

combo packs:
Batman
Justice League

regular:
Wonder Woman

trades:
Green Lantern by Lemire

maybe trades:
Red Lanterns by Gaf hype
Harley Quinn by ridiculous Gaf hype.

Justice League United by Lemire looks a little iffy.

This is a pretty decent list man. Keeping it pretty tight on the quality bar. I was kind of keeping an eye on JLU news until recently, but McKone, talented guy, but just not my thing whatsoever. I could see myself checking it out with the right artist.

Messi

Harley Quinn #1 won GAF's book of the month, it doesn't get any better than that.

Well I will vouch for its quality, the naysayers just have bad taste.

Hand, foot, and everything between more like.

I should reconsider putting the next HQ in the February OT.

ABUSE OF POWER! Damn it. She was book of the month last month. She has to be in there. I nearly voted for Catwoman you know that. I could be worse.

tim1138

Well I will vouch for its quality, the naysayers just have bad taste.

ABUSE OF POWER! Damn it. She was book of the month last month. She has to be in there. I nearly voted for Catwoman you know that. I could be worse.

If Catwoman ever wins I quit ComicGAF.

Have you been reading the Hawkeye Kate issues? Best female-lead book out there now I reckon.

MeXB9pv.jpg

<3

I must also admit that I own several Mark Millar comics, most of which I enjoyed or have nostalgic enjoyment of. The exception is Nemesis, which I blind bought at a convention and it's the worst piece of shit I ever owned. I bought the trade of Countdown Arena at the same time, never before or since have I bought so much crap at once.

Owzers

This is a pretty decent list man. Keeping it pretty tight on the quality bar. I was kind of keeping an eye on JLU news until recently, but McKone, talented guy, but just not my thing whatsoever. I could see myself checking it out with the right artist.

i made a big effort to get my pull list down to ~30 issues instead of 45ish. Which brings me to the regular question of....what have you all dropped lately? At least with dropped Marvel books i can read them on Marvel Unlimited eventually, which makes it easier.

Dropped:
Bendis ( All New X-Men, Uncanny, Guardians of the Galaxy) - nothing happens.
X-Men - iffy
Justice League of America - those Forever Evil tie-ins didn't sway me to stay
Fatale - fairly good but i didn't like the pacing of the overall story, the lead is still too "mysterious"
Morning Glories - i'll read it on OHC if i read it at all, great book but not monthly
Amazing X-Men - opening arc reminds me of Remender's Uncanny, not a very good idea
Mind the Gap - a bit slow, but decent

I don't drop off a lot of books, I'm usually pretty sure by the time I jump on. The last books I dropped off of though were both The Massive and Conan by Brian Wood. I really enjoyed Northlanders, but upon reading more of his stuff, I think a lot of that was purely the historical setting. The Massive bored me to absolute tears and Conan while not awful, not exciting enough to justify those HC prices the trades debut at on Amazon.

Kind of considering ditching Revival and The Sixth Gun though. Revival hasn't really panned out the way I hoped it would. I liked the first volume but the second didn't really do much for me or move along the stuff I wanted to know about. The Sixth gun, I like it. I really like the art. But every time I have an opportunity to catch up, I just find something new to buy over catching up on it. That tells me something. My compromise for these two though is probably to leave the trades sitting on my shelf this year and see if I feel compelled later. If I don't gravitate back to them by year's end, I'll get rid of them.

I've been doing similar with the Morning Glories trades. I really like the book and I buy them as they come out, but I usually wait until I have two or three sitting to actually read them, I'd be as well switching to the OHCs now, but I'm in this far.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Four eyes by joe Kelly

Slightconfuse, you the fuckin' man. Four Eyes is such a gem of a comic. I asked Kelly about it at Comic-Con a few years back and he said he was working on volume 2, but who knows. Crazy how much he packed into those first four issues, though...

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Is there any comics of graphic novels that deal with dragons that are good? Asking for a friend.

Bone has dragons in it

Also yeah this issue of Thor had an amazing Dragon story.
Sad ending but knowing Thor I have a feeling it will be meaningful later

Well damn,

The Worlds' Finest Annual was way, way better than I was expecting it. Where has this version of Levitz been the entire time? The action scenes were stellar, mega kudos to whomever Diogenes Neves is, because the linework is so good. Also helps that the coloring is top notch as well.

Neat, I went to the store just for that and Aquaman and Diamond screwed me over on both of them. almost every damn week, I swear..

I often wonder who is buying this Zenescope stuff. They seem to be pumping out a lot of content. I mean A LOT, and it's all basically boobies with some shock gore. Their edgy take on fairy tale topics seem to be working pretty good, even if it's fairly generic and repetative. Whatever works I suppose.
My wife

Here's the thing about the new costume for Wolverine, and I thought about posting this earlier today but Benjamin bringing it up again cements it.

Whenever I look at that cover artwork by Stegman, I can't help but see Constrictor.

I know the colors don't match, the pattern doesn't match, etc. And I know what they're going for, with the "samurai" inspiration which Anka kind of pulls off with the design and yet Stegman doesn't.

I still see Constrictor. :(

SSJLuffy

Older Bat-stories are kinda canon but not so much that you'd notice, and they rarely bring up deep history (unless it's something like Morrison's run). 99% of Batman stories are very self contained and require next to no prior knowledge.

As for feeling like you need to jump in at an origin - I really wouldn't worry about it. You already know most of the big origins through cultural osmosis and they rarely have any impact on current stories at all.

Superman is a tricky charactes because there really aren't that many decent stories with him in (because for some mad reason DC didn't like putting big creators on these books until fairly recently, so 99% of the superman comics published over the years have been quite spectacularly mediocre). My all-time favourite comic is All-Star Superman but it's very divisive and the style is unlike pretty much anything else out there. But it's brilliant. Alternatively for a decent origin you could try Superman: Secret Origin by Geoff Johns (he did a similar thing for Green Lantern too). It came out before the nu52 but has pretty much all the requisite superman beats.

The main 'Batman' title is currently doing a big story called Zero Year that is the 'new' origin for Batman, it's really pretty good, and if you like Court of The Owls and keep reading that title it'll come out in book-form shortly-ish.

The nu52 is weird in that it's kinda just new clothes for old characters. They're tweaking origins and histories as they write it, but really all the writers and readers are aware that there is all this history and everyone's just playing along with the new rules as they make them up.

If you like Spider-Man you might be interersted in Ultimate Spider-Man - it was a 'reboot' started about a decade back that has Peter as a teenager and introduces everything for the first time. It's off in it's own little universe and is really excellent. And if you like it you're in for a treat because there's bloody loads of it.

edit: also, Donnie knows his shit ^^^^^^

Wow man, thanks for all the helpful advice. It'll be quite some time before I check any of this out though, I wanna catch up to The Walking Dead this way I have something to look forward to every month. After that will either be Saga and more Image stuff (the stuff Donnie recommended) or Batman/New 52 stuff and since I loved the Ultimate Spider-Man game, I guess Ultimate Spider-Man (I know some things that happen, sounds pretty intense). I wonder how I'll get ahold of all of these comics!

Also, I'm a pretty big fan of anime/manga... Dragon Ball, One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, Yu Yu Hakusho, Death Note, and Fullmetal Alchemist among others I really enjoy. So if there's anything sort of similar to those, I'll check it out.

List of recommendations:
Batman (New 52)
Justice League (New 52)
Ultimate Spider-Man
Mind the Gap
Criminal
Locke and Key
Sweet Tooth
American Vampire
Chew
Morning Glories
Saga
Planetary

I think I'll be set for a few years, haha. Thanks guys!

Splatt

Here's the thing about the new costume for Wolverine, and I thought about posting this earlier today but Benjamin bringing it up again cements it.

Whenever I look at that cover artwork by Stegman, I can't help but see Constrictor.

I know the colors don't match, the pattern doesn't match, etc. And I know what they're going for, with the "samurai" inspiration which Anka kind of pulls off with the design and yet Stegman doesn't.

I still see Constrictor. :(

Well... fuck.

Now I'm seeing Constrictor too.

Slightconfuse, you the fuckin' man. Four Eyes is such a gem of a comic. I asked Kelly about it at Comic-Con a few years back and he said he was working on volume 2, but who knows. Crazy how much he packed into those first four issues, though...

Yea i loved it, i hope vol 2 is out some day. Kelly needs to stop getting that Tv money an do more comics

After burning myself out about a year or so ago on a ridiculous pull list, I'm finally finally about to start one again. I've just recently went through the entire Brand New Day stuff with Spider-Man again because I just love that era but I forgot how much I dislike the ending. The Gauntlet was okay, but Shed, Grim Hunt, and then the villain arc just didn't do it for me. I'm excited now that I've re-read Spider-Man to finally read some of this SpOck stuff.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Got my Planetary omnibus in the mail today. Cover is so cool. Cover under the dust jacket might be even cooler.

That's how I felt about the Animal Man Omnibus--the real cover is so rad. Also, my Planetary is taking forever to get here, so y'all gotta hold up on that book club!

Owzers

Batman #21: My initial thoughts were twofold: When is a Court of Owls oversized hardcover coming that i might not be able to resist despite not liking the ending of that arc....and how isn't Zero Year the actual first issue of the new 52 Batman? It was a decent issue, though it didn't seem as good as reviews made it out to be.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Batman #21: My initial thoughts were twofold: When is a Court of Owls oversized hardcover coming that i might not be able to resist despite not liking the ending of that arc....and how isn't Zero Year the actual first issue of the new 52 Batman? It was a decent issue, though it didn't seem as good as reviews made it out to be.

Because In Media Res is more fun than starting at Year Zero I guess. Zero Year has been fun but it was quite slow to start, would not have been the best way to kick off the nu52 IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom