• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Legends 2 OT - Return of the Blue Bomber

RK128

mega_man_legends_2___to_the_moon_by_tsukuru_yume-d8as7kb.jpg

Release Date - 2000 (PlayStation), April 5th, 2016 (North American PlayStation Network)
Platforms - PlayStation 1 (2000), PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita, PlayStation Portable, PlayStation TV/Vita TV

If you want to play the game with EU systems, you NEED to make a NA account, buy the game, then download it to your system. You don't need to stay logged in your NA account for the PS3 version to play the game, but you need to for the PS Vita version.

Found a link that has NA PSN Codes, so if you in the EU and want to get Legends 2, click this :D! If you prefer something more instant (getting the code right away), click this link, being the US Amazon Page for PSN Codes :).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Summary:
The Blue Bomber returns for another legendary adventure! Set after a year from Legends 1 events, Mega Man goes on a new adventure with Roll and Data to try to find a mysterious woman and discover the secrets of a new location. Will this unlock the mythical Motherload? Or will it unlock utter chaos upon the world?

latest

Controls:
playstation_dual_shock_controller_large.jpg

Special Controls - PlayStation 3/PlayStation TV/Vita TV
Analog Stick - Walking/Running
Right Stick - Strafe Left/Right
X - Jump (Left/Right + X = Dodge Roll)
[] - Shoot
Triangle - Special Weapon
O - Interact/Pick Up
R2 - Lock-On

Special Controls - PlayStation Vita
Rear Touch Pad (Top Right) - Lock-On
Right Stick - Strafe Left/Right
[] - Shoot
/\ - Special Weapon
O - Interact/Pick Up

Special Controls - PlayStation Portable
L & R - Strafe Left & Right
D-Pad - Moving around
Analog Stick (Different Directions) Lock-On
[] - Shoot
/\ - Special Weapon
O - Interact/Pick Up

Gameplay:
Its more of what you love from the original Mega Man Legends! Large worlds to explore, dungeons to loot and robots to blast into bits :).

This time out we got level design and gameplay matching 3D Zelda a bit more, with a lock-on feature that has Mega Man move around when locking-on, dungeons having unique themes and elements like maps/boss keys being brought into the picture.

Pictures (Thank you Manu for the help :D!):
010.jpg

040.jpg

002.jpg

036.jpg

062.jpg

Music: Have to share some links, as that really took my by surprised for my first half hour of the game. Great usage of remixing themes and having different versions of the same track :).

Rocking-Out.jpg

Calinca Tundra - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2LwY8ayQCI&index=8&list=PL4BA19208DDBE0C8F
Calinca Tundra Reverbots - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhuxt9CL15M&index=9&list=PL4BA19208DDBE0C8F
Abandoned mine (Calinca Island) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU2h0YCeayc&index=10&list=PL4BA19208DDBE0C8F
Abandoned mine (Calinca Island) Boss Fight - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7-DDDFaSZw&list=PL4BA19208DDBE0C8F&index=11
The Flutter - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSI7M3sUKdc&list=PL4BA19208DDBE0C8F&index=2
Fire in the Flutter - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_8uWCnjbNk&index=3&list=PL4BA19208DDBE0C8F
Train Battle 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulercU9UJiM&index=13&list=PL4BA19208DDBE0C8F

First Impressions & Version Differences:
256px-MMLegends2Box.jpg

One thing I took note of right away was the long intro cut-scene. The game sets up its story in a nice, neat fashion and instantly sucks you in :).

Then we get to the core gameplay, which is Legends 1 but far more refined. Mega Man has a lock on that works closer to say.....a Hyrule Warrior, being able to move left & right as he fire's his Mega Buster.

Mega Man also has his high-jump ability from Legends 1 too, with other iconic abilities like his rocket skates, drill arm and so on returning when you gather enough items.

So, the core gameplay mirrors Legends 1, with one interesting thing to take note; a exploit in the combat system. If you press Up while shooting rapidly (Locked On or not), you can fire far faster bullets compared to normal. Very, very useful for fights XD!

Anyway the presentation of the game is very impressive, with detailed character models, strong texture work and a soundtrack that really took me by surprise! I posted a few tracks in the OP if you guys want to hear them. But very good stuff, mixing the atmospheric tunes from the original game alongside really strong melody's.

Dungeons are designed more like Zelda Temples compared to the labyrinths in Legends 1, with a full on map system, map item and boss key item. They are also themed like in Zelda too, making them have more personality.

Overall, really love my time with Legends 2 and I can't wait to play more!

Mega Man Legends 2 Retrospective Link!

Regarding how each version runs, I can comment with the following:
-PS3: Runs great with a smooth frame rate and tight control system.
-PS Vita: Runs great and a big improvement over Legends 1 on Vita (no more slowdown, issues with cut-scenes and the like). Controls work great with no re-mapping outside of maybe the Lock-On being pushed to one of the trigger buttons

psn525.jpg

Mega Man Legends - https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...e=Google&utm_term=ps-ga-871&utm_content=Brand
Misadventures of Tron Bonne - https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...e=Google&utm_term=ps-ga-871&utm_content=Brand
Mega Man Legends 2 - https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...e=Google&utm_term=ps-ga-871&utm_content=Brand

How to Get the Game on Your Vita!

ps-vita-wifi-system-large.png

- Buy it from Web Store
- It will appear in your Vita download list
- You can transfer it to your Vita via PS3 too Vita transfer
- Download from Web Download List
- Its on the native Vita store (type in Mega Man in the search box; it should be under Mega Man Legends)

Sony didn't update the game's listing yet on the game's home-page but it can now be downloaded from the PC Store's download list for all three systems (PS3/Vita/PSP).

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

*Only working for North American PSN Accounts! Easy to make an extra one for PS3 users :).*

If you guys want a refresher about Legends 1, give my Retrospective of Legends 1 a look :D. A Retrospective for Legends 2 will be up by next week, around the time I finish my Sonic Retrospective :).

Lets rock on and explore the dungeons!

mega-man-legends-key-art.png

Manu

NOW WE'RE TALKING

Subbed.

Played for five minutes to try the game earlier today, watched the whole intro (never skipped it), I'm surprised that this game had dual stick support in 2000.

Truly, a game ahead of its time.

Hesh

Oh man, I'm so stoked for this. I ripped my disc to play on my PSP during lunch breaks some 8 years ago but I could never get past a crash on a ladder so I gave up on my playthrough.

Also, please update those screenshots once the game drops, OP, because I'm 99% sure the game will look much better than that when put through the quasi improvement of Sony's own emulator.

RK128

NOW WE'RE TALKING

Subbed.

Played for five minutes to try the game earlier today, watched the whole intro (never skipped it), I'm surprised that this game had dual stick support in 2000.

Truly, a game ahead of its time.

It really feels like it belongs alongside other PS2/GC/Xbox games of the time mechanically. It feels so good control wise and I was really impressed with the gameplay, just from my first few minutes.

.....I'm starting to think Insomniac played these games a lot, as the control in Legends 1/2 mirror how Ratchet's strafing worked in Going Commando and Up Your Arsenal (though working different).

Oh man, I'm so stoked for this. I ripped my disc to play on my PSP during lunch breaks some 8 years ago but I could never get past a crash on a ladder so I gave up on my playthrough.

Also, please update those screenshots once the game drops, OP, because I'm 99% sure the game will look much better than that when put through the quasi improvement of Sony's own emulator.

Can't really do that, as I don't have a screen capture :l.

Playing it on my PS3, so can't take screen shots like I could on my Vita (and even then, Legends 1 didn't support that feature).

Might find better images online latter once more people play the PS3 version :).

incpdo

great game a personal favorite from my childhood , i have finish this game around 6 or 7 times already.
It is a shame i cannot enjoy it in the magical oled of my vita but well i guess ill try t play it on a psp instead

RK128

Nice OT! Just finished up my latest run on the first and dusted off the ol ps3 controller. Let's do this.

Thank you :D! My very first one :).

If its missing anything, please PM me or let me know guys :D!

Want to celebrate the Legends Series being complete on PSN right!

RK128

Commented in the OP about the lack of Vita/PSP support. It sucks, but this thread isn't about that. Sorry if that sounded harsh, but lets just be happy we can finally play the game without spending over 200$ online :D!

Yup, I was pretty salty at first, but it feels so good to finally play this. I'm not even past the opening and I'm excited. Mega Man's new voice caught me by surprise! And the rest! Action! Mystery! Suspense!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
NO MORE DEALING WITH EBAY PRICES WOOOOOOOO

Weird it doesn't work on the go, but I'd still rather have a (legal) digital version for $10 compared to the insane prices physical copies are asking for. Hoping to play this soon, I've waited sooooo long for this to get added to PSN, not gonna let lack of Vita support ruin this for me.

RK128

It works on Vita everyone! Going to post impressions latter but wanted to let you know, you can play it on your Vita RIGHT NOW :D!

RK128

So Vita works now. What about PSTV?

If it works on Vita, it should work on PS TV too as its a Vita without the screen :).

Just from the intro section, it runs very well on Vita. Will post further impressions the more I play through the game, but so far, great running game :D!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh cool, it DOES work on portable devices?

Though does it make use of L2/R2? Would it be more ideal to play on PS3 or have to swap the controls around on Vita?

RK128

Oh cool, it DOES work on portable devices?

Though does it make use of L2/R2? Would it be more ideal to play on PS3 or have to swap the controls around on Vita?

I think it would be best to play the game how it expects you to play; just use the Rear Touch Pad for lock-on. Everything else is with the sticks/buttons/L & R.

Either way, it should play great regardless of the system you own :). The main thing, is performance. Will comment on how well the game runs in the Snow area in a bit.

RK128

Great. Can you download and confirm whether it can run or not? That would be very helpful.

Unfortunately, this has not been true for all PS1 titles.

Really? That is shame :(.

Will check PSN and see if it says anything about PlayStation TV support.

Edit: The PSN Page still acts like it only runs on PS3.......odd. Will check the Vita store to see what the deal is.

Edit 2: The Vita PSN Page also acts like it only runs on PS3; comments on how it works on only two PS3 systems. Still lets you download the game though.

Can confirm it is working on PSTV now! Doesn't seem to have the audio sync issue as with Legends 1 either, at least for now. Full vibration and R2 L2 support with a Ds4 as well!

RK128

Can confirm it is working on PSTV now. Doesn't seem to have the audio sync issue as with Legends 1 either, at least for now. Full vibration and R2 L2 support with a Ds4 as well!

This is really great to hear :D!

Legends 1 had that quite often on Vita, so great to see it (at least for now) cleaned up for the PSN release.

This is really great to hear :D!

Legends 1 had that quite often on Vita, so great to see it (at least for now) cleaned up for the PSN release.

Yeah, I remember one of the later cutscenes was really bad. Was watching the action in the screen almost a full 30 seconds behind. We'll have to see how this one plays out, but overall seems much cleaner so far.

th4tguy

Mega Man Legends 2 is listed in PS vita store. Just finished buying it from the Vita store and it's downloading.

Glad to see they got it working on Vita! My favorite of the trilogy... but that's not saying anything bad about the others because all 3 are amongst my top 10 games of all time.

joe2187

Banned
I still need to finsih Tronne Bonne.

But I cant for the life of me get past that fucking walker boss that just straight up kills my truck full of cattle. I feel like the rocket launcher barely even damages the thing.

Was so excited for this I felt it deserved an avatar change to commemorate the occasion! So happy to finally be able to play this game after loving the original for so long.

RK128

002.jpg

Thank god she's wearing that jacket. Now no part of her will be cold at all.

Mega Man: "Roll.....um, are you sure you're warm enough?"
Roll: "Of course Mega Man! I got my jacket on."
Mega Man: "That's not.....never mind."

Fun fact: Go visit the Flutter and go in the P-Room. You can read up on how the professor found Mega Man. When reading the second part of it, you learn that Roll named Mega Man after the video game character. You know, this guy :).

latest

Legends Mega Man is the ultimate coss-player XD!

Praise the Lord and Sony. One of my GOAT games. Now I can finally beat last boss. My disc was scratched and had to YouTube it :(

Hope this makes the absurd eBay prices plummet as well.

Top Bottom