• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Legends 2 OT - Return of the Blue Bomber

Better not post that gif in a thread with Tizoc

Don't say I didn't warn you

So weird how this one has completely modern feeling controls after having to jury rig MML1's setup

Vlaphor

I'm actually really glad this came out now, since I've previously beat Megaman Legends on my Vita two games ago (MML, then Brandish, and now I'm playing Ultra Despair Girls), so I'll have something to look forward to when I beat UDG. Granted, I do still have the Corpse Party game to play on Vita, but I'll need to beat the first two games before I start this one (I also have the first two on Vita).

When people say that there's nothing to play on the Vita, I wonder if they've really done any research into the system...because my 3DS has been collecting dust for awhile and the only game on the horizon that I'm really interested in is SMT4 Final.

Better not post that gif in a thread with Tizoc

Don't say I didn't warn you

So weird how this one has completely modern feeling controls after having to jury rig MML1's setup

Is it really that weird? Mega Man Legends 1 predates OoT, and OoT pretty much set the standard for 3D action games, where as MML2 came out after OoT and definitely borrowed some of the nicer elements of OoT without changing it's control too much.

The S Class License is frustrating as hell, specifically because it shows you the limitations of the lock-on system, and because picking up enemies with the lifter is unreliable. It also goes to show you how annoying status effects are.

Is it really that weird? Mega Man Legends 1 predates OoT, and OoT pretty much set the standard for 3D action games, where as MML2 came out after OoT and definitely borrowed some of the nicer elements of OoT without changing it's control too much.

Poor word choice maybe, I just meant it's an odd experience personally to be playing a PS1 game that doesn't feel archaic control-wise after many I've returned to.

Manu

By the way, anyone else having an issue when controlling with the sticks, where moving it diagonally causes Mega Man to stop/walk for a moment?

Maybe it's related to the fact I'm using my DS4 on PS3? I don't know.

I'm interested but not sure if I should start with the first one.

Both really good games, if you can easily get both I definitely recommend playing both.
By the way, anyone else having an issue when controlling with the sticks, where moving it diagonally causes Mega Man to stop/walk for a moment?

Might be.

A lot of games have some difficulty with the analog sticks for DS4 on PS3. It's not calibrated correctly probably since it's still emulating DS3 input without... yea calibration.

In MGS PW in MGS HD for PS3 in certain directions the analog stick makes the character stop too.

If you want to play with DS4 flawlessly you can emulate these games.

The S Class License is frustrating as hell, specifically because it shows you the limitations of the lock-on system, and because picking up enemies with the lifter is unreliable. It also goes to show you how annoying status effects are.

It just takes some practice. Even after not doing it for years, I managed to get it in about 20 minutes. I did take a couple tries to get 'back in the groove" but the controls are responsive enough.

You do have to rely less on locking on simply because you don't have as great of a field of view, but the game has auto targeting anyways on top of locking on so it's mostly moot.

Haven't found that problem on the Vita, though I've heard people saying that they found the same issues you're having on PS3, I believe a friend of mine said he had that problem using a DS3.

It just takes some practice. Even after not doing it for years, I managed to get it in about 20 minutes. I did take a couple tries to get 'back in the groove" but the controls are responsive enough.

You do have to rely less on locking on simply because you don't have as great of a field of view, but the game has auto targeting anyways on top of locking on so it's mostly moot.

Finally got the S Class License, took about 30 mins but well worth the time since I picked up some small nuances that I never picked up on back in the day (hold triangle to guarantee lifter works, take the safe choice when you have a lot of time, etc).

Finally got the S Class License, took about 30 mins but well worth the time since I picked up some small nuances that I never picked up on back in the day (hold triangle to guarantee lifter works, take the safe choice when you have a lot of time, etc).

Hmm, I was thinking that was explained somewhere, I always held the lift button as far as I can remember.

Psxphile

Kind of surpriuse that demo hasn't been translated and released publically over the years (or maybe it has and I've just always missed it?)

Would be difficult with the PS1 demo since none of the voiced scenes have in-game subs in which one can replace lines. PSP version of Rockman DASH 2 includes the episode 1 content and that port does have subtitling for voiced scenes. And widescreen. But... if you're going to do that you might as well go all out and translate the rest and no one's going to bother with a port of an already-in-english PS1 game with PSP controls.

At least it looks pretty.

Manu

qx8a8rdssie.gif

RK128

Would be difficult with the PS1 demo since none of the voiced scenes have in-game subs in which one can replace lines. PSP version of Rockman DASH 2 includes the episode 1 content and that port does have subtitling for voiced scenes. And widescreen. But... if you're going to do that you might as well go all out and translate the rest and no one's going to bother with a port of an already-in-english PS1 game with PSP controls.

Thank you for sharing the image :D! Nice seeing the PSP version in action :).

It wouldn't be too hard to add subtitles, or I should say, not much harder than translating a PS1 game in general.

If I remember correctly, when they did the fan translation for Tales of Phantasia on SNES, they subtitled the song.

RK128

I mean, I love Roll, but it'd basically be another SAO situation so no.

"It's okay, you know, she's not really his sister so it's fine!". Blech.

Don't get me started with SAO man XD! I like the anime, but the whole deal with his sister.......what the hell man :(.

I also see Tron and Rock/Mega Man being a good match though; both are skilled at combat, have respect for one another and she doesn't rip Mega Man off with upgrades/selling his gear behind his back.

Clement brought up a great point with his Legends 2 playthrough when we get to the first Tron fight XD!

Manu

Man, the cutscene in Nino Island where Roll activates the secret weapon that
makes everyone on Glyde's ship act stupid so they up destroying it from the inside
never fails to make me laugh. I think it was the moment that finally cemented the game as one of my favorites as a kid.

Wow this water temple is miserable.

The infamous Nino Ruins. As a kid, I once thought the Water Temple in Ocarina of Time was miserable until I booted Legends 2 and played through the Nino Ruins. The ruins is the definition of tedious. The PSP port version of Nino Ruins was a lot better.

dlauv

So I'm enjoying it, 12 hours in, working on the fourth key.

It's kind of ridiculous how crude its gameplay systems are in comparison to something like Ocarina of Time, but it sort of all ties together neatly in and with its prevailing quaintness. There are some strange JRPG grinding aspects and one-off, obscure side-questing, seemingly included for Brady's sake. I think the latter aspects make me prefer the first better, but it's still quality action-adventure gaming from a PSone title, which is remarkable. Really sucks you into the world on offer and encourages you to explore every nook and cranny. It uses 3D space and verticality pretty well.

I think I soft-locked myself out of Holy Mega Man Volnutt because I kicked a pig way too many times, thanks to the lack of footnotes from GFaqs' cheats section. Now everyone hates me, charges me more money, and I'm wearing a burn tool.

Worst part of the game, easily.

I forgot just how miserable it was till I replayed it recently. I hit the wall hard there... just couldn't make myself complete it. It kind of dented my nostalgia for the game (where as Legends 1 and Tron Bonne were all that I remembered and more).

Think next time I play it, I'll just play it on EPSXE and find or make a cheat to get past that temple.

Psxphile

That bad, huh. I remember basically nothing about a "Nino Ruins" (haven't played the game since PS1 was relevant) so I might as well be going in blind. Actually, I haven't made all that much progress since I picked up the game. Now that it's working on VITA I can find a way to devote some time to it... eventually.

It's imperative you get the Hydro Jets for the underwater ruins. This way you can simply skate around and get gameplay that is practically close to dry-land movement. It makes the Nino Ruins waaay more bearable.

You can create the Hydro Jets by buying the Aqua Chip at the Junk Store after giving Blucher the first Key. Of course you'll need to have created the Jet Skates first with the Roller Board (purchase at the Junk Store) and the Old Hover Jets (found in the abandoned tutorial mine in Yosyonke).

Yeah I've enjoyed playing 1 and 2 again immensely, I finished neither and remember barely anything, so it might as well all be fresh for me.

There's a very basic fundamental charm about both, somewhat Zelda-like in the sense that they attempt to be very simple and gamey and at the same time full of little whispers of reality that manage to fit together well and make something that feels like a believable little world.

It's imperative you get the Hydro Jets for the underwater ruins. This way you can simply skate around and get gameplay that is practically close to dry-land movement. It makes the Nino Ruins waaay more bearable.

You can create the Hydro Jets by buying the Aqua Chip at the Junk Store after giving Blucher the first Key. Of course you'll need to have created the Jet Skates first with the Roller Board (purchase at the Junk Store) and the Old Hover Jets (found in the abandoned tutorial mine in Yosyonke).

This helps a lot, but it's not simply the movement that's the problem, but the design of the rooms and puzzles themselves, though the boss feels amazing to fight... it truly give a sense of huge scale, both in the room and the creature itself.

That bad, huh. I remember basically nothing about a "Nino Ruins" (haven't played the game since PS1 was relevant) so I might as well be going in blind. Actually, I haven't made all that much progress since I picked up the game. Now that it's working on VITA I can find a way to devote some time to it... eventually.

It's not impossible or anything, but it is pretty miserable and brings the pace to a crawl after everything in MML1 and most of MML2 before and after.

The Jets help, but I usually just rely on jumping since you jump a much wider area of range in water than in land.

EDIT: After playing through Nino Ruins, it wasn't as bad as I thought, even after finishing the game a year ago. In some ways, the dungeon overstays its welcome with the amount of floors (if you bring the Drill Arm, you're extending that by a few rooms). Surprisingly, it wasn't the movement that pissed me off since I knew what I was going into. It was seeing Volnutt's body movement after getting hit that annoyed me. You're completely helpless for about 4-5 seconds depending on where you get hit.

th4tguy

how is performance in nino ruins on vita? Has anyone had any performance or audio issues with vita version?

how is performance in nino ruins on vita? Has anyone had any performance or audio issues with vita version?

Nino Ruins plays exactly like it did on the original hardware, I've explored every nook and cranny and haven't found any performance clips. In fact, I haven't found any issues with Legends 2 as a whole (just about to head to Saul Kada now).

Manu

EDIT: After playing through Nino Ruins, it wasn't as bad as I thought, even after finishing the game a year ago. In some ways, the dungeon overstays its welcome with the amount of floors (if you bring the Drill Arm, you're extending that by a few rooms). Surprisingly, it wasn't the movement that pissed me off since I knew what I was going into. It was seeing Volnutt's body movement after getting hit that annoyed me. You're completely helpless for about 4-5 seconds depending on where you get hit.

Having just beat this part this morning, this post echoes my thoughts word by word. At least that's done now.

Also, it's still funny how OP the Drill Arm is. The fact that you can upgrade power and energy to the max the moment you get it makes every boss a cakewalk. Just walk up to them, hold Triangle for half a second, boom.

Having just beat this part this morning, this post echoes my thoughts word by word. At least that's done now.

Also, it's still funny how OP the Drill Arm is. The fact that you can upgrade power and energy to the max the moment you get it makes every boss a cakewalk. Just walk up to them, hold Triangle for half a second, boom.

The Drill Arm is hilarious, Klaymoor goes down in less than two seconds. I always get a kick out of using the Drill Arm and seeing Klaymoor be like "you're real good" in the cutscenes. The same with using the Homing Missiles against Tron in Saul Kada.

Speaking of Saul Kada, the Reaverbot Boss is my favourite in the game. That setting and boss really sells how epic and large in scale the fight is.

Manu

The Drill Arm is hilarious, Klaymoor goes down in less than two seconds. I always get a kick out of using the Drill Arm and seeing Klaymoor be like "you're real good" in the cutscenes.

>walk up to Klaymoor
>hold triangle for a second
>"That was fun kid, you're really good, I haven't had a battle like that in ages"

lol

Manu

I just died for the first time because I fell into the fire like an idiot and then got touched ONCE by a Reaverbot.

Well, shit.

Top Bottom