• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clinton admits failure in stopping 9/11

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://thinkprogress.org/2006/09/22/clinton-fox/

WALLACE: When we announced that you were going to be on Fox News Sunday, I got a lot of email from viewers, and I got to say I was surprised most of them wanted me to ask you this question. Why didn’t you do more to put Bin Laden and al Qaeda out of business when you were President? There’s a new book out which I suspect you’ve read called the Looming Tower. And it talks about how the fact that when you pulled troops out of Somalia in 1993, Bin Laden said “I have seen the frailty and the weakness and the cowardice of US troops.” Then there was the bombing of the embassies in Africa and the attack on the USS Cole.

CLINTON: OK..

WALLACE: …may I just finish the question sir. And after the attack, the book says, Bin Laden separated his leaders because he expected an attack and there was no response. I understand that hindsight is 20/20.

CLINTON: No let’s talk about…

WALLACE: …but the question is why didn’t you do more, connect the dots and put them out of business?

CLINTON: OK, let’s talk about it. I will answer all of those things on the merits but I want to talk about the context of which this arises. I’m being asked this on the FOX network…ABC just had a right wing conservative on the Path to 9/11 falsely claim that it was based on the 9/11 Commission report with three things asserted against me that are directly contradicted by the 9/11 Commission report. I think it’s very interesting that all the conservative Republicans who now say that I didn’t do enough, claimed that I was obsessed with Bin Laden. All of President Bush’s neocons claimed that I was too obsessed with finding Bin Laden when they didn’t have a single meeting about Bin Laden for the nine months after I left office. All the right wingers who now say that I didn’t do enough said that I did too much. Same people.

Clinton takes on Fox News bias:

WALLACE: Do you think you did enough sir?

CLINTON: No, because I didn’t get him.

WALLACE: Right…

CLINTON: But at least I tried. That’s the difference in me and some, including all the right wingers who are attacking me now. They ridiculed me for trying. They had eight months to try and they didn’t…I tried. So I tried and failed. When I failed I left a comprehensive anti-terror strategy and the best guy in the country, Dick Clarke… So you did FOX’s bidding on this show. You did you nice little conservative hit job on me. But what I want to know..

WALLACE: Now wait a minute sir…

CLINTON:…

WALLACE: I asked a question. You don’t think that’s a legitimate question?

CLINTON: It was a perfectly legitimate question but I want to know how many people in the Bush administration you asked this question of. I want to know how many people in the Bush administration you asked: Why didn’t you do anything about the Cole? I want to know how many you asked: Why did you fire Dick Clarke? I want to know…

WALLACE: We asked…

CLINTON:…

WALLACE: Do you ever watch Fox News Sunday sir?

CLINTON: I don’t believe you ask them that.

WALLACE: We ask plenty of questions of…

CLINTON: You didn’t ask that did you? Tell the truth.

WALLACE: About the USS Cole?

CLINTON: Tell the truth.

WALLACE: I…with Iraq and Afghanistan there’s plenty of stuff to ask.

CLINTON: Did you ever ask that? You set this meeting up because you were going to get a lot of criticism from your viewers because Rupert Murdoch is going to get a lot of criticism from your viewers for supporting my work on climate change. And you came here under false pretenses and said that you’d spend half the time talking about…

WALLACE: [laughs]

CLINTON: You said you’d spend half the time talking about what we did out there to raise $7 billion dollars plus over three days from 215 different commitments. And you don’t care.

Clinton on his priorities and the Bush administration priorities:

CLINTON: What did I do? I worked hard to try and kill him. I authorized a finding for the CIA to kill him. We contracted with people to kill him. I got closer to killing him than anybody has gotten since. And if I were still president we’d have more than 20,000 troops there trying to kill him. Now I never criticized President Bush and I don’t think this is useful. But you know we do have a government that thinks Afghanistan is 1/7 as important as Iraq. And you ask me about terror and Al Qaeda with that sort of dismissive theme when all you have to do is read Richard Clarke’s book to look at what we did in a comprehensive systematic way to try to protect the country against terror. And you’ve got that little smirk on your face. It looks like you’re so clever…

WALLACE: [Laughs]

CLINTON: I had responsibility for trying to protect this country. I tried and I failed to get Bin Laden. I regret it but I did try. And I did everything I thought I responsibly could. The entire military was against sending special forces into Afghanistan and refueling by helicopter and no one thought we could do it otherwise…We could not get the CIA and the FBI to certify that Al Qaeda was responsible while I was President. Until I left office. And yet I get asked about this all the time and they had three times as much time to get him as I did and no one ever asks them about this. I think that’s strange.

Transcript(rough)

WALLACE: I know we’re over but can I ask you two political questions. Let’s talk some politics. In that same New Yorker article you say you’re tired of Karl Rove’s BS. I’ m cleaning up what you said.

CLINTON: I also say I’m not tired of Karl Rove. I don’t blame Karl Rove. If you’ve got a deal that works you just keep on doing it.

WALLACE: So what is the BS?

CLINTON: well every even number year right before an election they come up with some security issue. In 2000 right before the election …In 2002 our party supported them in undertaking weapon inspections in Iraq and were 100% behind them in Afghanistan and they didn’t have any way to make us look like we didn’t care about terror. And so they decided they would…the homeland security bill that they opposed and they put some pill in it that we wouldn’t pass like taking the job rights away from 170,000 people and then say that we were weak on terror if we weren’t for it… This year I think they wanted to make the question of prisoner treatment and intercepted communications the same sort of issue until John Warner came and Lindsey Graham got in there and it turns out there were some Republicans who believe in the constitution and their convictions…some ideas about how best to fight terror.

As long as the American people believe that we take this seriously and we may have our differences over Iraq but I think we’ll do fine this election. Even if they agree with us about the Iraq war we could be hurt by Karl Rove’s new foray if we don’t make it clear that we care about the security of this country. We want to implement the 9/11 commission recommendations which they haven’t in four years. We want to…Afghanistan against Bin Laden. We want to make America more energy independent. If they want to talk about Iraq say what they really want about Iraq.

But Rove is good and why I honor him…I’ve always been amused by how good he is. But on the other hand this is perfectly predictable. We’re going to win a lot of seats if the American people aren’t afraid. If they’re afraid and we get divided again then we’ll only win a few seats.

WALLACE: Do you think the White House and the Republicans want to make the American people afraid.

CLINTON: Of course they do. They want another homeland security bill and they want to make it not about Iraq but some other security issue. Where if we disagree with them we are by definition endangering the security of the country. And it’s a big load of huey. We’ve got 9 Iraq war veterans running for House Seats. President Reagan’s Secretary of the Navy is the democratic candidate for Senate in Virginia. A three star admiral who was on my NSC staff — who also fought terror by the way — is running for the seat of Kurt Weldon’s in Pennsylvania. We’ve got a huge military presence in this campaign and you can’t let them have some rhetorical device that puts us in a box that we don’t belong in. That’s their job. Their job is to beat us. But our job is to not let them get away with it and if we don;’t we’ll be fine.

WALLACE: Mr. President thank you for one of the more unusual interviews.

Another snippet. Be sure to read the full transcript -- he really gets after Wallace.

AntoneM

it's hard to get anything done when congress is fighting you the whole way... not that that's a bad thing mind you.

It's so nice to read a Clinton interview. Regardless of the interview's content, it's amazing how intellectually superior he is to Bush. The guy actually knows what he's talking about, he has a clear, structured idea of what he wants to say and how he wants to say it. It's so refreshing.

weehomer

I fully believe that if Bill Clinton was President now, Bin Laden would be caught/dead, and we would not be at war in a country that had nothing to do with 911.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
ToxicAdam said:
You mean like this guy?
tdy_nod_clarke_040325.300w.jpg

I like that. He took some responsibility for what happened, but he also stood up for himself at the same time. That's something most politicians wouldn't be willing to do. And he didn't do it in a wishy washy way either. Clinton FTW

pxleyes

Banned
Hitokage said:
It's only sacrificial because those above him refuse to admit responsibility.

I realize this. I was making a comment on how most people are sacrificial lambs in this administration when the true people responsible dont own up.

pxleyes

Banned
Verboten said:
Great read. He may have been a scumbag to his wife, but I always believed he was a good President. Awful husband, but great President.

True.

It still amazes me people cant separate the two qualities.

pxleyes said:
True.

It still amazes me people cant separate the two qualities.
I'm not gonna pretend that I've always held this view. While it was happening, I thought he was an all-around bad apple. After time, though, it become too heavy and immeasurable to weigh such things. He did his job. He's saying he failed, yes, but no moreso than a bodyguard that tried to fulfill his duty. It takes grownup or a man to admit failure. He made his mistake and accepts it. Bush doesn't even recognize that. I hate talking politics, honestly. I just try to see things from a base view, you know, judge accordinglily and righteously and whatnot. That said, based on his work, Clinton was/is a good man. I don't know enough about his personal life, so I can't say.
I really, really hope the NBC or the BBC gets hold of this interview since I have a feeling that it'll be chopped up into bits. They'l probably edit all of Clinton's replies to be "..." when all the tough questions are asked.

Bloodwake

Clinton FTW.

Clinton admitted the failure, but he also pointed out that this country under Bush is STILL FAILING because we are in totally different country that has nothing to do with 9/11.

siamesedreamer said:
What a load of shit trying to pass the buck off on Bush with the USS Cole.

I assume you'll say the same once Bush leaves the office of presidency saddled with Iraq, possibly Iran, incredibly massive debts and so forth?

ronito

He tried, I mean at least he tried. Can't you see he tried? I think he means he tried. He tried, he tried, he tried.

why oh why didn't he tap my phone without a warrant? WHY?!!!

GhaleonEB

Wow, that was a great read. Clinton is so goddamn articulate, it's just plain embarassing reading the shit Bush spews.

What a wonderful backfire of a thread. :lol

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
If I was Clinton, I'd be pointing out that it was the GOP who was hounding him about "overextending American presence abroad" everytime Clinton tried to do something. When we initiated Operation Desert Fox with Tony Blair, who were the first people screaming about it? The GOP.

Go into Bosnia, who's bitching? The GOP. "It's not our war!"

Somalia? Guess who brought the pain once they saw that 14 American soldiers died. You got it! The GOP.

Jesus Christ, Clinton is a mental giant but I don't understand why he won't roll up his sleeves and play dirty. "Well, Mike, what I really want to know is why the GOP had absolutely no problem shouting me down everytime I tried to use the military to fight terrorism abroad, but have absolutely no problem trying to blame me for their mistakes now? Can't they take responsibility for their own actions? Let me tell you one thing-- after the way they came after me for being dishonest, I think it's sheer hypocrisy that they don't chase the President for his dishonesty. It shows who the real cowards are in this country. It's not the people trying to help American livse-- it's the people wearing little Elephant badges every November, preaching about American values while completely ignoring that their chosen leader doesn't exhibit a single one. He lies! Plain and simple. He lies... and then pins it on me. I learned my lesson, maybe it's time for Mr. Bush to learn his.

The fact of the matter is that 9/11 exposed the GOP as being just as much of a party of flip-floppers, and every 2 years they trot out some new piece of legislation that tries to scare Americans back into their palms. January rolls around and they care about us. Flip and flop. over and over. That's why I want to know, mike. Why does this happen, and why haven't the media called them out on it?"

as smart as Clinton is, I don't think there's a thing I've said that he hasn't already thought of, which means he completely handled Mike Wallace with kids gloves...

...which also means Wallace just got completely worked by a political pro. Clinton did such a good job of it that everyone with an internet connection is going to see how latched onto it that Fox has become, and automatically question whether or not Wallace has any bias.

pnjtony

If anyone here hasn't read it, Richard Clarke's book is really good. It's not one sides either. he owns successes and admits failures. Great book.

Flynn

PhoenixDark said:
I like that. He took some responsibility for what happened, but he also stood up for himself at the same time. That's something most politicians wouldn't be willing to do. And he didn't do it in a wishy washy way either. Clinton FTW

It's a shame he didn't do the same when it mattered most: when he was in office, and most specifically when he testified under Starr. That was his all-time low point to be sure.

White Man

siamesedreamer said:
We weren't even certain Al Qaeda was behind the Cole bombing until the January Clinton left office. Buck successfully passed!

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Flynn said:
It's a shame he didn't do the same when it mattered most: when he was in office, and most specifically when he testified under Starr. That was his all-time low point to be sure.
it didn't matter until 9/11.

I think Americans need to accept the fact that we ****ed up and got beat by bin Laden. He worked us over and out and won. And the thing is he's still working us. We haven't learned a mother****ing thing from that god damn attack.

But it's ok, because, you know, Clinton got a blowjob from a government clerk, and Bush is stupid. Should be a good election, right?

So damn refreshing to read this.

I didn't like Clinton and I didn't vote for him but this interview just demonstrates what a superior human being he is to the complete trash that we have running our country now.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Clinton is so eloquent and well spoken even transcripts of him basically becoming more agitated than we've seen since he was in office come off as well considered and well thought out ideas on why our country is failing.

Not sure what the intention of this thread was, but it certainly didn't make Bill Clinton look bad in any way. In fact, I'd say it does the opposite. Those are things that need to be seen by the American people for them to ever understand what the Rove party is doing to them.

ronito

White Man said:
We weren't even certain Al Qaeda was behind the Cole bombing until the January Clinton left office. Buck successfully passed!
Oh you stop with your logic and all that.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
actually, now that I read the transcript.... forget everything I said. Clinton handled this perfectly. Good for him.

if i didn't know better i'd say it takes a little bit of brains to be a rhode's scholar at oxford after growing up as a poor piece of white trash in arkansas...:lol

VALIS

I saw an interview with Clinton done by Keith Olberman tonight and it was like seeing an old girlfriend and remembering how amazingly hot and nice and funny she was. The guy sits there and thinks before answering a question. Compare that to the current ape running the country, who comes off like a drunk at a football game.

Crow

Bill Clinton is awesome. I don't care where he puts his sausage. He's still awesome. You Americans should give him another term. :p

Macam

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
Thread backfire. AdamBot abort.

:lol

After reading that rough transcript, all I can say is Clinton is all sorts of awesome. I like how Wallace tries to defend himself against Clinton's allegations of being biased; anyone that watches Wallace during broadcasts can quickly realize that he's on par with Jeff Gannon in terms of fairness. If anyone has links to a transcript of that Olbermann interview, I'm dying to see or read it.

White Man said:

Yes, very convienent.......I think they were waiting for a personal letter of apology from Bin Laden himself before they actually believed it was him.

It was feet dragging of epic proportions plain and simple.

Incognito said:
I assume you'll say the same once Bush leaves the office of presidency saddled with Iraq, possibly Iran, incredibly massive debts and so forth?

Iraq, possibly yes. But, if Iran does become a nuclear problem, it won't be because Bush gave them the technology like how Clinton appeased Kim.

Its pretty obvious that Toxic's intent was a swipe at Bush for not admitting any mistakes.

Flynn said:
Well then, at least we can discern that he's human and not puppet.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
siamesedreamer said:
Yes, very convienent.......I think they were waiting for a personal letter of apology from Bin Laden himself before they actually believed it was him.

It was feet dragging of epic proportions plain and simple.

Iraq, possibly yes. But, if Iran does become a nuclear problem, it won't be because Bush gave them the technology like how Clinton appeased Kim.

Its pretty obvious that Toxic's intent was a swipe at Bush for not admitting any mistakes.
:lol :lol :lol

ToxicAdam

I don't understand how it is a "thread backfire". Clinton admitted he is a failure, and I commended him on recognizing it.

Now if he can come clean on how inner cities were decimated during his term and NAFTA destroyed the job market in most of the midwest states ... then I will proclaim his greatness.

siamesedreamer said:

Ohmygoshwhatatwistedcomment

He didn't so much pass "the buck" as pass a "20 page draft of a response and that could be enacted once confirmation that it was alQueda".

If he had passed "the buck" we know that BushCo would've taken, the greedy miserable basterds :lol :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom