• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 has microtransactions for cosmetic loot crates

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Probably not shocking given it's 2016.

GameSpot said:
Developer The Coalition has confirmed upcoming Xbox One shooter Gears of War 4 will include purchasable cosmetics items. Players will be able to purchase crates filled with cards that have different levels of rarity, and offer cosmetic changes in-game.
"I feel like that paradigm of cards is really clear to understand for collectibles, like the ability to collect things. We had weapon skins and character skins, so that idea of collecting cards is just easily understood. It felt like it added some engagement in terms of its not the, 'Oh, I like Tiger Stripe. I bought Tiger Stripe. I'm done. I don't need to engage with that system anymore. There's no need for me to hang around.'"

"That's I think what we owe the player, is that feeling you get, much like ... I think Hearthstone is brilliant at, that idea of the glow, and the voice, and the excitement about like, 'I want to open packs, and I want to be a part of that engagement. I can't wait to complete today's quest so I can go to the paramedic with pack of cards.' I think that feeds into that engagement.

"I think that's the same thing we're trying to do here. The notion that everything is earnable just through play means the only reason you would ever use real money is when you want to accelerate it. We're going to be balanced where you're going to be constantly getting crates, or enough credits to get crates through the game, so it really is just about your choice," Fergusson said.
Source: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/gears-of-war-4-to-include-microtransactions/1100-6438819/

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I think Hearthstone is brilliant at

Hearthstone is brilliant at being free.

We're going to be balanced where you're going to be constantly getting crates, or enough credits to get crates through the game, so it really is just about your choice
Said every developer ever.

That seems fair I guess. Cosmetic is the best route. Weapon skins and things like that. Let the folks spend their cash to subsidize the rest of us.

Lucifon

Why not just have the maps free in constant rotation then and pay to play them on private matches...

Barely anyone is going to put together a private party JUST to play a specific map, so it makes the map rotation seem pointless.

I actually quite enjoy cosmetic loot crates in games, as long as they don't take too long to earn for normal players. Halo 5 actually gets the time-to-earn almost perfect imo.

killroy87

Why not just have the maps free in constant rotation then and pay to play them on private matches...

Barely anyone is going to put together a private party JUST to play a specific map, so it makes the map rotation seem pointless.

Sure does.

Private matches is just about the worst incentive to buy maps for 95% of the player base.

wiibomb

How's the current AAA market running profitwise?

Seems like MS has been pushing a lot of these changes recently (microtransactions) with Halo and GoW, they don't make enough money?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
How's the current AAA market running profitwise?

Seems like MS has been pushing a lot of these changes recently with Halo and GoW, they don't make enough money?

It's a replacement for selling traditional map packs and DLC for a lot of games.

Makes a lot of money, but doesn't split up your community, and helps keep everyone engaged if they bought the base product.

Since Hearthstone is in the OP, using Blizzard as another example, Overwatch has free maps, modes, and heroes for the life of the product, but you can buy cosmetic loot crates if you want to earn them faster than the base rate. This pays for the continued development of the game.

Gaz_RB

Damn as much as I know micro transactions DLC is necessary, it still really sucks to see it in games I'm paying $60 for.

MMaRsu

Banned
Disgusting.

Please dont buy any of this bullshit Xbox Gamers, unless yall want this bullshit to continue in 60 dollar games.

I'm not opposed to this, but I wonder to what extent you'll be able to buy specific stuff as well, like if I really just want the pink gun skins or to play as Alex Brand or whatever on day one, will I just be able to buy those things outright?

george_us

Eh I don't mind, being realistic developers got to make money someway in this expensive ass gen.
Then maybe they shouldn't be spending obscene amounts of money on things that people ultimately don't give a shit about. I'm tired of 'B-b-but it's expensive!" being used as an excuse to fuck over the consumers.

MMaRsu

Banned
Damn as much as I know micro transactions DLC is necessary, it still really sucks to see it in games I'm paying $60 for.

Its not neccesary at all.

Its only neccesary for them because there are plenty of idiots dumping their wallets for this bullshit.

And dont give me that I dont care about cosmetics so this doesnt affect me.

Yes it does affect you.

And no this doesnt create free maps. The maps are only in rotation for 1 free month, afyer that youll have to buy them as well.

For once I would love a triple a game to just not have microtransactions bs . Cosmetic items , cards , loot crates , really sick of it all.

I actually prefer the old days with perhaps less skins but not having to micromanage req cards or have some stupid loot box popup on screen.

It's ine of the reasons indie games are becoming more appealing imo.

Elixist

earnable in game is cool as long as thats fair and fun, watevs. gears could have some cool looking gear (ahem) wonder what it'll be like.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Disgusting.

Please dont buy any of this bullshit Xbox Gamers, unless yall want this bullshit to continue in 60 dollar games.
I like customization, it's fun to earn items to play dress up

What's wrong with that?

EDIT: lol my bad, didn't realize it was a joke poster

Disgusting.

Sorry man, i rather have free map packs and let whales pay for them.
Then get a season pass or pay 15 euros for a map pack each time.

Lucifon

Disgusting.

Hardly. It allows for the DLC that matters, e.g maps, to be free. And it's all cosmetic stuff which is obtainable just by playing the game anyway...

Chris1

As long as it's not pay to win and it brings me free map packs they can do whatever they like, if some spoilt rich kid spending thousands on cosmetics wants to pay for my map packs then feel free.

Only thing I don't like about it is the rotation nonsense, just make them fully free & available permanantly.

If it's purely cosmetic that's fine.

If there are consumables then I'll be really, really disappointed. I don't want to see horde fortifications or something as a consumable.

Top Bottom