• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 has microtransactions for cosmetic loot crates

they arent ignorable, but you can unlock everything in the game without paying a dime. 2-3 warzone matches and you can afford a silver pack, 2-3 more and you can get a gold, which is the highest pack available.

and some boosts can get you a gold within 1-2 games.

The very fact your required to save req points ,manage / sell cards and the fact they melded it into the core gameplay of war zone is what pisses me off .

True I don't have to spend a dime , but the fact microtransactions are in there is what changes the entire game / menus etc to eventually push you into microtransactions .

It's unclear how bad it permeates into gears , if it's just in a store menu great , but it sounds like it's the same bs of managing cards and decks and all that stupid stuff .

shoreu

The very fact your required to save req points ,manage / sell cards and the fact they melded it into the core gameplay of war zone is what pisses me off .

True I don't have to spend a dime , but the fact microtransactions are in there is what changes the entire game / menus etc to eventually push you into microtransactions .

It's unclear how bad it permeates into gears , if it's just in a store menu great , but it sounds like it's the same bs of managing cards and decks and all that stupid stuff .

Honestly warzone wouldn't be fun without recs it would be bland and it probably wouldn't work.

FyreWulff

You didn't qualify SP or MP, you said "all" so you're just moving goalposts here.

Microsoft owned games with MTs on Xbox One:

Forza 5
Forza Horizon 2
Killer Instinct
Halo 5
Crimson Dragon
Halo: Spartan Assault
LocoCycle
Project Spark
Fable Legends (now cancelled)

Just confirmed:
Gears 4

Do not be surprised when:
Halo Wars 2

I sit comfortably on my chair of lies.

george_us

Ohhh, you are a professional, I had no idea. Companies should hire you for budget analysis.

So then you are just saying, "stay last gen" or "work like an indie company". There are plenty of studios that do that, if you aren't a fan of AAA titles then you just don't buy them. It doesnt change how much they cost though...
Except there are several AAA companies out there that don't break the bank providing quality experiences, or at the very least aren't forced to put MTs in their already expensive $60 games. I mean, if companies want to spend themselves into bankruptcy then great, just don't pass the buck to the consumer. Meanwhile, Call of Duty is probably going to break another sales record with graphics that barely look better than late 7th generation shooter.

what? i never "manage" cards and decks in halo. its literally just a menu.

SILVER PACK
Option 1: 5000 REQ Points
Option 2: $
Option 3: Cancel

Thats it. thats the only intrusion into the game the microtransactions have. theres no decks to manage. sure theres selling reqs, if you want i guess? But you can sell any consumable req?

Plus, its JUST warzone. Warzone would honestly not be as fun without crazy reqs.

and you can ignore the entirety of it by playing arena.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I'm gonna paraphrase here, but he essentially said

"Players usually buy what they want and then the don't buy any more"

But

"We owe them the feeling of not being able to directly buy what they want, put it up to chance and make them feel good when they get what they would have just bought in the first place."

What the fuck?!?!?!?

I'm all for the cosmetic loot cases, but let's not make it out to be better than just buying the stuff you want straight off the bat. What is wrong with these people?

It's gambling, plain and simple. It's incredibly addictive too.

They use it because it works, as exploitative as it is.

Saty

The notion that everything is earnable just through play means the only reason you would ever use real money is when you want to accelerate it
They do know that this notion is what makes Microtransactions bad, right?
Pay to accelerate = Pay 2 Win.

It's because it's only pure cosmetic items that are offered that makes it okay. It has nothing to do with 'only pay to accelerate' concept.

Weed

Banned

Forza 5
Forza Horizon 2
Killer Instinct
Halo 5
Crimson Dragon
LocoCycle
Project Spark

Just confirmed:
Gears 4

Halo Wars 2

Still not "all"

krang

So this is confirmed as cosmetic-only? Then what the fuck is the problem?

Some chump buys a Mohawk, and I get free maps. Sounds great to me.

Forza 5
Forza Horizon 2
Killer Instinct
Halo 5
Crimson Dragon
LocoCycle
Project Spark

Just confirmed:
Gears 4

Halo Wars 2

You're missing the point. You can't just make some blanket claim thats incorrect then backtrack and get defensive over it "chair of lies" when people point that out. Im not sure anyone has even said MS games don't have them.

I don't recall LocoCycle having any but based on your own list you can clearly see the weighting of those titles heavily leans towards launch releases

Petulant do you even play halo 5 anymore. You've been on a campaign against it since day one.
I pull it up every other day for like 2 games before it starts feeling like a chore because of the REQ system. I hate feeling like I'm playing the game only to unlock something that has a 00.00009% chance of having anything interesting in it. It might be ok if all the cosmetics look ok but in Halo 5 something like 80% of them are just awful looking. I was actually very positive about Halo 5 prior to release because the beta was fun and they seemed to have learned from their mistakes (outside of Smartlink which is still absolutely baffling as to why it even exists). Then I played the campaign, which was offensively terrible and something like 90% of the maps ended up being some version of "human building in X environment"
Hopefully Gears can avoid those pitfalls.

I pull it up every other day for like 2 games before it starts feeling like a chore because of the REQ system. I hate feeling like I'm playing the game only to unlock something that has a 00.00009% chance of having anything interesting in it. It might be ok if all the cosmetics look ok but in Halo 5 something like 80% of them are just awful looking. I was actually very positive about Halo 5 prior to release because the beta was fun and they seemed to have learned from their mistakes (outside of Smartlink which is still absolutely baffling as to why it even exists). Then I played the campaign, which was offensively terrible and something like 90% of the maps ended up being some version of "human building in X environment"

thats weird cause this says you played once on march 11 and then before that was feb 9th.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/...gingsofty?gameModeFilter=All&start=0&count=10

FyreWulff

You're missing the point. You can't just make some blanket claim thats incorrect then backtrack and get defensive over it "chair of lies" when people point that out. Im not sure anyone has even said MS games don't have them.

I don't recall LocoCycle having any but based on your own list you can clearly see the weighting of those titles heavily leans towards launch releases

Forza 6: Apex will have them too. So will games that continue to come out.

What do you think part of the point of the always-online push was for? To sell MTs due to a directive to implement MTs into Microsoft published games where possible, and enforce the MT economy.

Tain

You know what "bullshit" allows them release free map DLC? Them fucking deciding to. You remember Gears 1? That was released for "free"
(with the "help of an insurance company/advertiser")
You remember PC games of old with new maps being released by the developer? Those were released for free because they knew it wouldn't split their playerbase and would bring more people in.

Them going with this model has nothing to do with them releasing the content for free. It has everything to do with them hoping people are impatient enough to not bother with the grind and buy the content to "engage with the game."

It's the same shit Capcom hopes casuals will do with regards to Street 5's characters.

I'm now cracking up picturing Gears 4 having post-release free maps with all of the fidelity of Hall of Giants.

Forza 6 will have them too. So will games that continue to come out.

What do you think part of the point of the always-online push was for? To sell MTs due to a directive to implement MTs into Microsoft published games where possible, and enforce the MT economy.

Im pretty sure none of this has anything to do with what I said

hawk2025

"That's I think what we owe the player, is that feeling you get, much like ... I think Hearthstone is brilliant at, that idea of the glow, and the voice, and the excitement about like, 'I want to open packs, and I want to be a part of that engagement. I can't wait to complete today's quest so I can go to the paramedic with pack of cards.' I think that feeds into that engagement.

And for a nominal fee, we can feed into that addiction/engagement even more!

shoreu

Our stance on remixes we'll just have to agree to disagree. Sure I'd like og concepts but remixes are automatically negative to me.

And with the reqs there's a method to the madness that we discovered a long time ago buying from the bottom up is the best way to go.

IDK small things we seem to disagree on are making or breaking the game for us. The gameplay is solid and really competitive and that's what I focus on. Plus I'm big on the lore so the campaign was fine to me because it's just more info to consume.

Interfectum

Don't have a problem with this as long as all maps and shit are free. Make money off cosmetic shit and don't split playerbase.

Falchion

As long as you get a decent string from playing multiplayer I'm fine with it. The snail pace of earning cryptokeys in BOIII is terrible, go the Advanced Warfare route where challenges, 45 minutes of game time, and leveling up gave you supply drops.

SOR5

It's a replacement for selling traditional map packs and DLC for a lot of games.

Makes a lot of money, but doesn't split up your community, and helps keep everyone engaged if they bought the base product.

Since Hearthstone is in the OP, using Blizzard as another example, Overwatch has free maps, modes, and heroes for the life of the product, but you can buy cosmetic loot crates if you want to earn them faster than the base rate. This pays for the continued development of the game.

I'll support this model as long as its never pay 2 win.

Our stance on remixes we'll just have to agree to disagree. Sure I'd like og concepts but remixes are automatically negative to me.

And with the reqs there's a method to the madness that we discovered a long time ago buying from the bottom up is the best way to go.

IDK small things we seem to disagree on are making or breaking the game for us. The gameplay is solid and really competitive and that's what I focus on. Plus I'm big on the lore so the campaign was fine to me because it's just more info to consume.
I don't neccesarily think remixes are terrible from the get go. A night version of Bloodgulch is cool. When they try to convince me that they're being very friendly by putting MTs in the game because it will mean free maps, only to put in a bunch of Night Bloodgulches is when I get kinda annoyed.

Except there are several AAA companies out there that don't break the bank providing quality experiences, or at the very least aren't forced to put MTs in their already expensive $60 games. I mean, if companies want to spend themselves into bankruptcy then great, just don't pass the buck to the consumer. Meanwhile, Call of Duty is probably going to break another sales record with graphics that barely look better than late 7th generation shooter.
So you don't care about art and graphical craftsmenship, so all companies should abandon that. I see. No thanks.

And "call of duty looks like shit and sells millions!" Is the lamest arguement in the world.

I imagine they let this info out This soon to receive feedback. I also imagine they can and will change their post-launch support. They could have just been hum and said 'we'll give more details later'.

Like how 343i said free maps until june 2016. i think its 99% sure we will get more free content after june 2016, including free maps. right frankie ;)

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Hearthstone is brilliant at being free.

Said every developer ever.

Yep. There's zero excuse for Microtranactions in full-priced games, don't give a shit how PR spins it. And anyone defending it is falling exactly into their hands. These billion dollar companies love you!

shoreu

Yep. There's zero excuse for Microtranactions in full-priced games, don't give a shit how PR spins it. And anyone defending it is falling exactly into their hands. These billion dollar companies love you!

Saying they love us but I like free maps and armor in halo.

I love being able to pay 5 bucks for sabrewulf in Ki and enjoying the whole game.

And I'll enjoy not paying for anything in this game.

You don't have to buy anything! And it takes nothing away from those who don't.

MMaRsu

Banned
Well welcome to gaming in 2016 my friend.

I can agree on that, it's so annoying.

Only if you supoort it.

We should be telling everyone not to support this shit. Sadly people will keep making excuses and say this is normal now.

Yes I will be sad if this is the direction games are going in. 60 dollars + microtransactions + 60 dollar season pass ( not in this instance ) is not feasible.

Sadly like I say unless we as gamers stand up to it but instead keep making excuses like ohh this gives me free maps thats cool then we are all going to be playing 60 dollar games with a 60 dollar season pass thats riddled with micro dlc in 5 years.

Kolx

I hope other studios follow this model. Getting free maps while giving up in some cosmetic bullshit? sure why not.

MMaRsu

Banned
You don't have to buy anything! And it takes nothing away from those who don't.

Yes it does but keep that blindfold strapped on and not pay any mind to the enviroment its creating.

This is literally corporate apologism at its finest

leeh

Only if you supoort it.

We should be telling everyone not to support this shit. Sadly people will keep making excuses and say this is normal now.

Yes I will be sad if this is the direction games are going in. 60 dollars + microtransactions + 60 dollar season pass ( not in this instance ) is not feasible.

Sadly like I say unless we as gamers stand up to it but instead keep making excuses like ohh this gives me free maps thats cool then we are all going to be playing 60 dollar games with a 60 dollar season pass thats riddled with micro dlc in 5 years.
Halo 5 is the perfect example of how it should be done. I don't mind this method either.

You'd rather pay for your DLC than get it for free from people who drill money into cosmetic items? I dont get the logic.

It's pay for cosmetics, not pay to win. It literally effects you in zero ways other than you get free maps.

MMaRsu

Banned
I like customization, it's fun to earn items to play dress up

What's wrong with that?

EDIT: lol my bad, didn't realize it was a joke poster

First of all im not a joke poster dude. Dont know what gives you the right to call me a joke poster in the first place.

Theres nothing inherently wrong with customisation or playing dress up.

But thankfully you didnt seem to understand my post at all.

So many apologists itt who will defend their right to buy overpriced cosmetic items in their 60 dollar game.

Keep digging that grave for a full experience.

Yes it does but keep that blindfold strapped on and not pay any mind to the enviroment its creating.

This is literally corporate apologism at its finest

Eh... im not going to deny myself playing a game I am very excited for because of microtransactions.

If those cases, I just ignore the microtransactions and play without them, done it successfully in Fifa, Halo and other games for years, Gears will be no different.

jfoul

If it's like Halo 5 with free maps & updates, I'm fine with it. I haven't spent any money on REQ packs, and I have absolutely everything.

leeh

First of all im not a joke poster dude. Dont know what gives you the right to call me a joke poster in the first place.

So many apologists itt who will defend their right to buy overpriced cosmetic items in their 60 dollar game.

Wow.

shoreu

You know I keep asking you to explain and your keep ignoring me. I'd actually like to hear your side of the argument.

Weed

Banned

yikes

MMaRsu

Banned
Halo 5 is the perfect example of how it should be done. I don't mind this method either.

You'd rather pay for your DLC than get it for free from people who drill money into cosmetic items? I dont get the logic.

It's pay for cosmetics, not pay to win. It literally effects you in zero ways other than you get free maps.

I have not played Halo 5.

In the case of Gears they are NOT giving away free maps. They are rotating a free map once per month, and if you like it and want to keep playing it youll have to buy it.

This is not Halo 5 guys.

It doesnt literally affect me in no other way.

If you want to have microtransactions in your 60 dollar game, then fine. Im NOT fine with it and I dont think yall should be either. This is BAD for the industry as a whole.

Sadly some of yall wont take the blinders off and just look at the free map they rotate each month and say hey I dont even mind extra DLC in my 60 dollar basegame.

In the OP Gears is compared to Hearthstone, and how he likes their business model.

Guess what Hearthstone is a free to play game, not a 60 dollar game.

Chris1

I have not played Halo 5.

In the case of Gears they are NOT giving away free maps. They are rotating a free map once per month, and if you like it and want to keep playing it youll have to buy it.
You can only play it in private matches when you buy them though.... public/regular playlists will never have paid map packs in them.

Top Bottom