• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 has microtransactions for cosmetic loot crates

It seems like Microsoft really isnt against microtransactions like loot crates and stupid cards in their first party games. Cant stand this stuff.

The fact that Halo players still defend the shitty ReqPacks existence with arguments like "But the money goes to a giant prize pool for pro players" is just funny.

People defend it because it means the game gets monthly updates with new maps and modes at no extra cost. Charging for new maps and modes is a broken sustain model for a multiplayer game.

Yo if character skins, OG COGS and Locust are tied to this the Coalition can eat a dick.

I understand why these models work, because idiots with more money than sense throw dollars at them. But if I have to put 1000s of hours into this game to get all the skins then I'm out.

I'm a grown man, I got shit to do.

Fuck it, if these updated consoles are real I think it may be high time to grow up and stop playing games. No point whining, but the direction were heading ain't for me.

Yo if character skins, OG COGS and Locust are tied to this the Coalition can eat a dick.

I understand why these models work, because idiots with more money than sense throw dollars at them. But if I have to put 1000s of hours into this game to get all the skins then I'm out.

Fuck it, if these updated consoles are real I think it may be high time to grow up and stop playing games. No point whining, but the direction were heading ain't for me.
Isn't the counter that if it takes 1000s of hours to unlock the skins that it has way more skins than the previous Gears? Gears has always had long grinds for things in their games.

If it keeps maps free and the community from fragmenting.

/thread

This is really the end of it, microtransactions pay for development of new maps that everyone can enjoy. As long as they don't give a competitive advantage then I have no issue with them if it means more, free, shit.

Dlacy13g

I have absolutely no issue with this given maps will be free and not divide the player base like so many other shooters have.

EvB

Things to do like playing games and going on the Internet to complain about games you don't want to play because you have things to do ...

breadtruck

Disgusting.

Please dont buy any of this bullshit Xbox Gamers, unless yall want this bullshit to continue in 60 dollar games.
Nah, its cool. If someone wants to pay $3 for a Gnasher that has a lightning storm going on it, then whatever. I dont have a problem with the CSGO and Killing Floor 2 (or whatever other game may do it now) style of non-essential weapon skins and crate drops.

Paying for maps that divide a community? Then Ill agree with you. Dont do it, stop paying for it.

It's allowed maps to become free for multiplayer games and is the most optional of optional DLC models you could ask for.
Has it though?

Are the Gears maps really free? Seems like they are being rotated in and out and still sold.

Has Halo 5 seen a solid addition of Arena maps?

I mean, cosmetic DLC for free mulitplayer maps sounds great, but are things really working out that way?

BizzyBum

I'm not endorsing stuff like this but it makes sense why they would include it. 343i makes a killing on people buying Req packs in Halo 5.

Halo gets 2 maps a month plus a new gametype.
Two maps and a new mode every month? Seriously? I haven't kept up with the game's post launch support but that sounds far too good to be true.

How many Arena maps have they added since launch? How many besides Forge or Forge remixes?

Edit: My Google fu is showing me four Arena maps since launch: Tyrant, Torque, Riptide and Overgrowth, along with other modes and Warzone maps. Damn impressive and seems to line up with or exceed expectations if they went with a premium map pack model. Sounds great and makes me more optimistic for what Gears could see down the road.
(source: Forbes contributor ;p because I couldn't find a master list on Halo Waypoint)

Disgusting.

Please dont buy any of this bullshit Xbox Gamers, unless yall want this bullshit to continue in 60 dollar games.

Why is this disgusting? I think this is a good compromise as long as the microtransactions don't split the player base and/or give an unfair advantage to those players who choose to buy these card packs.

Nirolak makes a good point.

It's a replacement for selling traditional map packs and DLC for a lot of games.

Makes a lot of money, but doesn't split up your community, and helps keep everyone engaged if they bought the base product.

Since Hearthstone is in the OP, using Blizzard as another example, Overwatch has free maps, modes, and heroes for the life of the product, but you can buy cosmetic loot crates if you want to earn them faster than the base rate. This pays for the continued development of the game.

Pizza

I love cosmetic microtransactions. Much much better than fracturing the community over maps. Speaking of, Splatoon handled map rotation pretty damn well IMO. Sure it rotated every three hours or so (I forget) but if gears has more than three maps in the pool it's fine, you get a whole new group of maps to play next. I think that's neat. Having the maps "on demand" is semi reasonable to ask, because previously you had to pay to play them at all.

IF the maps are good, and there's a large pool on tap each wave, it'll be rad. Can't you and your friends just play privately on the maps currently in rotation? If you REALLY like one specific one, is buying that *one* map for horde really that bad?

I actually really hate the point where every match of an fps is *that* really popular map. I like the idea of the whole pool rotating tbh, and it being free is rad, and paying for a pink Marcus fenix is fine.

Snaggle

Banned
Are these packs of randomised paid DLC? If so that is bad practice, I don't know anyone who doesn't want exactly what they paid for over a box of random stuff.

Tomash

Edit: My Google fu is showing me four Arena maps since launch: Tyrant, Torque, Riptide and Overgrowth, along with other modes and Warzone maps. Damn impressive and seems to line up with or exceed expectations if they went with a premium map pack model. Sounds great and makes me more optimistic for what Gears could see down the road.
(source: Forbes contributor ;p because I couldn't find a master list on Halo Waypoint)

Riptide and Ovegrowth are remixes(not Forge remixes/remakes). Torque remix is on the way, and probably Rig remix in June update.

Reason I like free maps is not only because they're free, but because you're not forced to buy content you don't need. For example, one Reach DLC had one 4v4 map, one BTB map and one Firefight map. I didn't play much of BTB or Firefight, so 2/3 of that DLC was worthless to me. On the other hand, Halo 4 had themed DLC, either only BTB maps or 4v4 maps. I didn't play BTB, so I had to wait 5 months until DLC that had maps I wanted.

Judgment also suffered from this, it had both Overrun and regular PvP maps in each map pack.

shoreu

Two maps and a new mode every month? Seriously? I haven't kept up with the game's post launch support but that sounds far too good to be true.

How many Arena maps have they added since launch? How many besides Forge or Forge remixes?

Lol it's really good. And they add a good amount of new weapons vehicles, armor, assassinations, stances, visor colors and other things. They have found a good model.

They are currently doing a firefight beta.

Also infection and 2 new maps this month.

Gestault

If game entertainment is mainly about owning a list of things instead of the actual process of playing them, I can't relate.

Maps SHOULD be free regardless.

Is it unreasonable to say extra maps should require money from somewhere, because they take time and effort to create by people who need to pay for their livelihood?

If game entertainment is mainly about owning a list of things instead of the actual process of playing them, I can't relate.
Nah. But I've poured thousands of hours into Gears since 06. Having multiplayer skins has been a staple of the series since day one. If now, 10 years later the only way to realistically get the skins is microtransactions then that's wack.

Gun skins emblems and all that I don't care about.

Although they haven't specified if character models are included in this system so I should probably just wait and see.

And no. My enjoyment does not come from skins. I don't enjoy things that have always been free suddenly become accessible by paying only.

But like I said, ill wait for clarification first.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Nah. But I've poured thousands of hours into Gears since 06. Having multiplayer skins has been a staple of the series since day one. If now, 10 years later the only way to realistically get the skins is microtransactions then that's wack.

Gun skins emblems and all that I don't care about.

Although they haven't specified if character models are included in this system so I should probably just wait and see.

And no. My enjoyment does not come from skins. I don't enjoy things that have always been free suddenly become accessible by paying only.

But like I said, ill wait for clarification first.

None of this is pay only, they specified you can earn in-game currency to buy

Top Bottom