• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 has microtransactions for cosmetic loot crates

I'm fine with this provided maps are free.

Free maps is something Gears has needed for a while too as in the past DLC has has a pretty big fracturing effect on the community.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
This "bullshit" allows for free map DLC... I'm all for it

You know what "bullshit" allows them release free map DLC? Them fucking deciding to. You remember Gears 1? That was released for "free"
(with the "help of an insurance company/advertiser")
You remember PC games of old with new maps being released by the developer? Those were released for free because they knew it wouldn't split their playerbase and would bring more people in.

Them going with this model has nothing to do with them releasing the content for free. It has everything to do with them hoping people are impatient enough to not bother with the grind and buy the content to "engage with the game."

It's the same shit Capcom hopes casuals will do with regards to Street 5's characters.

spannicus

As long as it's not pay to win and it brings me free map packs they can do whatever they like, if some spoilt rich kid spending thousands on cosmetics wants to pay for my map packs then feel free.

Only thing I don't like about it is the rotation nonsense, just make them fully free & available permanantly.
I dont think gears has ever been pay to win and i really dont think thats gonna become a thing here.

Halo 5 did it brilliantly and Ive managed to not spend a dime over the $60 I originally paid for it. I think this is a great solution to keep the most important thing which are the maps completely free. Lets see how the rotation works out though.

Montresor

If maps are free then this could legitimately be seen as some megaton positive news. Free maps supported by microtransaction DLC that I will never pay for is pretty good.

If maps aren't free, then blergh. In my eyes, you have to have free maps as some kind of justification for microtransactions, at a minimum. Halo 5 does that well.

Loomba

So they are doing the Halo 5 method, but not actually giving the maps for free? Wow that sucks.

The rotating model is awful and hope they change it.

FyreWulff

Not surprised, it's an internal rule that every first party Microsoft game is required to have MTs.

Loot crating though... sigh.

jelly

It's all well and good if you actually get good map content etc. but Halo 5 is a stripped Halo changed into a drip feed masquerading as free new content in a REQ sandwich so really you get less plus micro transactions and the latter is were the effort goes. Until I see differently I remain unconvinced and only see less core content and easy profit micro transactions.

No thanks, I'd rather have actual new maps instead of shitty forge maps and reskins of existing maps.

Yeah, so true.

While Halo 5's overall model sounds good, it came at the expense of beloved modes like Big Team Battle not being supported at launch, and only being added to be filled out with crappy forge maps.

Then there's Warzone with it's consumables. I really hate gameplay-effecting consumables and I'd never hope to see that in any other game's monitization model, blech.

I've always wanted to smother lipstick on my locust character

JAOIb6f.jpg

shoreu

No it doesnt!!!!! Dont fall for their bullshit lies designed to make you think that!!!

Thats what they are telling you!! Dont believe their lies

Jesus dude take the hat off dlc maps cost money to make and buying map packs divides the player base killing multi-player.

Now on the backs of whales we get free shit. I don't see a downside.

Can you offer any proof to convince us it's true?

No thanks, I'd rather have actual new maps instead of shitty forge maps and reskins of existing maps.

Torque and tyrant?

And the remixes play nothing like the originals.

Petulant do you even play halo 5 anymore. You've been on a campaign against it since day one.

nib95

Banned
Cosmetic stuff being charged is completely fine, but I hate the idea of random crates and cards with differing rarity, because essentially your money is wasted on pot luck.

Gestault

I hope some of the earlier complaints are jokes, but people's time costs money. If a totally unobtrusive model engages parts of the community and keeps a studio's books in the black during continued support without fragmenting an online-focused experience, that's good.

rrc1594

When? I'm not talking about having a remake of a map like Bloodgulch in a new game. I'm talking about taking bloodgulch thats already in the game, tossing some water on the floor and then calling it a "new map"

Okay I see your point I still don't want pay for maps tho, so it's whatever.

Petulant do you even play halo 5 anymore. You've been on a campaign against it since day one.

I'll be shocked if he ever played it TBH

GametimeUK

I'm gonna paraphrase here, but he essentially said

"Players usually buy what they want and then the don't buy any more"

But

"We owe them the feeling of not being able to directly buy what they want, put it up to chance and make them feel good when they get what they would have just bought in the first place."

What the fuck?!?!?!?

I'm all for the cosmetic loot cases, but let's not make it out to be better than just buying the stuff you want straight off the bat. What is wrong with these people?

Then maybe they shouldn't be spending obscene amounts of money on things that people ultimately don't give a shit about. I'm tired of 'B-b-but it's expensive!" being used as an excuse to fuck over the consumers.
Money on things? Like making games? You just want every studio to have an indiegame budget? Why not just ignore all triple A then and only buy indies? "I do!" Then why come to these threads, you've made your decision.

Varg

Banned
Sounds good to me. I'm all for having cosmetic items in crates and whatnot. What I don't like are weapons only available through those means ( blops3)

shoreu

Cosmetic stuff being charged is completely fine, but I hate the idea of random crates and cards with differing rarity, because essentially your money is wasted on pot luck.

Well see it depends on how the crates are marked up and what's exactly inside.

It's it's game altering this is for keeping it pay to win.

If it's cosmetics it's too create a sense of rarity especially for games like CS go that have secondary markets for their cosmetics.

Whilst I get the idea of keeping maps free and not splitting player bases I can't stand the idea of sorting through req cards , dealing with card raritys , trying to earn credits to unlock a loot chest and all that bs.

Not sure what the solution is but annoying the user and micromanaging shit in a shooter game just really bugs me . If that means sponsored content or something or even just leaving dlc in a menu for those whales who want to search it , but not make it a core feature like halo does with its stupid req cards.

Not surprised, it's an internal rule that every first party Microsoft game is required to have MTs.

Loot crating though... sigh.

Tales from my ass. Many MS games have no micro-transactions. I can think of a few right off the top of my head: Most recently Quantum Break, Ori and the Blind Forest, and Screamride.

Single player, Single player, Single player.

You didn't qualify SP or MP, you said "every" so you're just moving goalposts here.

Also looking round the industry is a common thing everywhere, not sure why its just about MS.

Hopefully the micro transactions in Gears 4 will be as ignorable as they are in Halo 5

george_us

Money on things? Like making games? You just want every studio to have an indiegame budget? Why not just ignore all triple A then and only buy indies? "I do!" Then why come to these threads, you've made your decision.
Money on shit like garbage-tier Hollywood voice acting and high-res art assets that no one really cares about yet forces companies to have to sell 10 million copies or risk bankruptcy. Budget your games properly and you wouldn't have to worry about any of this shit.

JaggedSac

Interesting that they have paid maps and this loot system. The fact that they are doing all maps free in matchmaking is great though.

You didn't qualify SP or MP, you said "all" so you're just moving goalposts here.

Also looking round the industry is a common thing everywhere, not sure why its just about MS.

Hopefully the micro transactions in Gears 4 will be as ignorable as they are in Halo 5

They are a core part of the gameplay in halo 5 (req cards)? Definitely not ignorable at all .

Then maybe they shouldn't be spending obscene amounts of money on things that people ultimately don't give a shit about. I'm tired of 'B-b-but it's expensive!" being used as an excuse to fuck over the consumers.

i am jacks complete lack of video game project budgeting and management awareness

Money on shit like garbage-tier Hollywood voice acting and high-res art assets that no one really cares about yet forces companies to have to sell 10 million copies or risk bankruptcy. Budget your games properly and you wouldn't have to worry about any of this shit.
Ohhh, you are a professional, I had no idea. Companies should hire you for budget analysis.

So then you are just saying, "stay last gen" or "work like an indie company". There are plenty of studios that do that, if you aren't a fan of AAA titles then you just don't buy them. It doesnt change how much they cost though...

They are a core part of the gameplay in halo 5 (req cards)? Definitely not ignorable at all .

they arent ignorable, but you can unlock everything in the game without paying a dime. 2-3 warzone matches and you can afford a silver pack, 2-3 more and you can get a gold, which is the highest pack available.

and some boosts can get you a gold within 1-2 games.

I agree, in a way. But using similar logic I just think games should be $80 now. Not $60. The fact is that budgets have ballooned with production values and the graphics arms race/console war.

Optional MTs are a way of mitigating the need to simply bump the price of AAA games to more accurately reflect the real costs of development.

shoreu

Ive played tons of Halo 5 and never gone anywhere near the micro transactions

It being a fair and not (req)ired
lol
option just doesn't click for some people and their are nothing but positive things for its existence.

Nothing about it is required and it doesn't really take away from the integrity of the game like other games do.

You know what "bullshit" allows them release free map DLC? Them fucking deciding to. You remember Gears 1? That was released for "free"
(with the "help of an insurance company/advertiser")
You remember PC games of old with new maps being released by the developer? Those were released for free because they knew it wouldn't split their playerbase and would bring more people in.

Them going with this model has nothing to do with them releasing the content for free. It has everything to do with them hoping people are impatient enough to not bother with the grind and buy the content to "engage with the game."

It's the same shit Capcom hopes casuals will do with regards to Street 5's characters.

yeah youre right, gears 1 came out in 2006, and those PC games you mentioned years before that, and the video game industry is the exact same as it was 10+ years ago.. nothing has changed. budgets are the same. team sizes are the same. consoles are the exact same too.

also, this game is getting a promised full 365 days 1 year of support, just like all shooters did back then too right?

Top Bottom