• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you buy NEO if it featured full PlayStation backwards compatibility?

Socivol

I would be totally down! I really hate not being able to play my PS3 games on my PS4 especially now that remote play has been extended to PCs

Oh man I hadn't even considered this. I would love it but I don't think Sony wants us to use our old discs, they want us to buy them again in digital form.

NastyBook

That is not gonna happen. Would be nice, though. Still won't stop me from gabbing THE ONE on DAY ONE.

Brrrrrrrrrrooock. Lesssssssssnarrrrrrrr.

SoulUnison

Banned
PS3 emulation probably won't be feasible on consoles until at least the PS5.

We're just barely getting there on absolutely beastly PCs.

I don't see why software emulation of PSX and PS2 aren't doable, though.
The former should be brain dead easy, and the latter was mostly implemented on much trickier hardware in the PS3, at least on the post-Emotion Engine inclusive models.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Think about it. Wanna play a PS2 game? Pop it in! The PS3 is Sony's worst selling console, with some of the best games of all time. So many people never bought a PS3 and missed out on great games. If NEO had a PS3, a PS2, and a PS1 baked in, that would be a fantastic selling point!

But is it even possible?

As in it would accept the physical discs and/or allow me to play all the games I've previously purchased?

That would be an instant buy. No brainer right there.

Pizza

I'd like that. Tbh I haven't bought a PS4 yet, so I'm super interested in the Neo. Backwards compatibility would be sweet, but I'm never buying another PlayStation console again until I'm allowed to changed my PSN ID.

If they left out the PS3 stuff and just gave me a very quick and snappy PS2 emulator that worked like the Virtual Console (as far as savestates and stuff) I'd be happy with that. There's not much on PS3 I care to revisit for a while.

meerak

Seems very unlikely to me.

I'm down for one already, some details depending. Obviously, this would make me more down.

do you think the PS4 Neo will have a complete new design or will it be pretty similar to the Ps4? (like a slim edition or just slightly different shape)

I would like to have it, but it probably wouldn't be possible on this iteration. However, if they keep upping the system specs with each iteration, I can't see why they wouldn't eventually be able to have a stable PS3 emulator.

valkyre

I dont get the fuss with backwards compatibility... really...

I get the impression that most people seem kinda fixated on the idea of backwards compatibility support rather than really wanting it.

The situation with XB1 is a nice recent example. Such a big deal over it and then people hardly use the damn feature.

In short no, that certainly wouldnt be the thing that would make me buy a NEO.

"IF" I want to play such an old game (and it isnt remastered already lol) i'd dust of my old console. But we are talking about once every 2 years or so.

jax

Banned
As in it would accept the physical discs and/or allow me to play all the games I've previously purchased?

That would be an instant buy. No brainer right there.
The way I envisioned it is just one slot loaded disc drive, toss whichever games you want inside. I have so many old PS1 games I would love to play. While we're doing hypothetical questions here, why not allow remote play as well? Vita means LIFE.

Ottobit

Banned
It's a hypothetical question and people are going "it's not gonna happen." Uh... you think? Yes, it would be a no brainer for me, I'd buy it.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Well I was kinda interested in the XBO before MS introduced B/C.

After that I became alot more interested.

If the Neo had it I would definitely get it.

Absolutely, actually. Now I may not even consider it if this isn't such a thing. Sony is going to hunt you down for making their product inferior by suggesting this.

Unless it's included, of course...

When the giant bomb from Giantbomb dropped -although there was nothing in there about BC- my pie in the sky dream was yes let this PS NEO be fully BC.

That ain't gonna happen. Sony has invested upwards of $300 million in Gaikai and hardware BC will help in destroying that investment.

I'm getting the PS NEO regardless of whether BC is a feature or not.

I would buy it "day 0" if was compatible with past PlayStation software. I have quite a few PS2 fighters and other PS3 software that I would like to still use. It would even be cooler if we could used the PS4 camera as a PS3 camera to play the shooter games like House of the Dead.

most likely I'll by it anyway because I'm a tech junkie

Jimrpg

Where do Sony win money in the second hand market? It's not happening.

Plus, if it was happening, we would know. A lot of devs already have the Neo dev kit.

Well just like the whole DRM issue when the PS4 first launched, Sony gets a lot of fans for doing the right thing if they provide backwards compatibility, surely they have lots of data now on whether its worth it for them to include or not include it. If they are hardly making anything from PS1/PS2/PS3 sales from people who already have the discs, then maybe they should consider putting backwards compatability back in. I know I would rather just pull out the disc than pay $5-10 to download the same game. People who don't have the disc will buy the game off PSN anyway as its probably much easier than trawling thru ebay or craigslist. Also Microsoft got a huge cheer when they announced the XboxOne would get more backwards compatability, I bet Sony was watching. It absolutely makes sense to enlarge the games library any way possible.

Of course its not going to happen though.

kennyamr

Not happening.
Sony won't do that unless the PS4 also gets that.
Sony will eventually do all that under the PS Now umbrella/subscription.
So... nope, not happening.

I'm buying a Neo anyway.

sviri

Sony convinced me long ago that I may as well forget their awesome ps1/2 lineup unless I want to track down old systems (I was a kid during ps1 and didn't treat my console with respect, and as a preteen my ps2 had that darn disc read error) or pirate the shit out of them, neither of which I plan on doing. So at this point, I would buy NEO for other reasons.

jax

Banned
I'd like to see backwards compatibility with audio CDs.
Day 0 if there is a UMD drive.

I knew spending $560 on UMD films at Best Buy in 2010 was a great idea.
hqdefault.jpg

Daouzin

It would actually deter me from buying it. Be your own thing, don't try to leech off of other's successes.

This is the dumbest mentality lol. Why can't Sony utilize their previous successes?

I noticed their's a YouTube subculture of gamers that say any game released before like 2010 isn't worth talking about. It's like offensive for them to be told about a game that is good if they fall before that year. So random.

Tigress

Think about it. Wanna play a PS2 game? Pop it in! The PS3 is Sony's worst selling console, with some of the best games of all time. So many people never bought a PS3 and missed out on great games. If NEO had a PS3, a PS2, and a PS1 baked in, that would be a fantastic selling point!

But is it even possible?

Probably not possible (or rather feasable cause it would make it an expensive machine) but if it was fully BC and I mean ran all my old discs (and not that I could rebuy the games and play them), yes, I would. That would be worth it to be able to play all those games on one machine and only have to deal with one machine.

And I'm one of the ones who is not happy about this news of this new machine.

Indelible

Backwards compatibility isn't a selling point for me, I still own every iteration of Playstation and can play them at anytime.

So basically a magic console which would have a drive that could support anything, and have all the required controller and memory card ports. As well as perfect BC somehow

jax

Banned
So basically a magic console which would have a drive that could support anything, and have all the required controller and memory card ports. As well as perfect BC somehow
Wouldn't a slightly redesigned DS4 with customizable configs be fine for all playstation games?

MrGerbils

I have basically no interest in any BC.

I do wanna play Yakuza 5 though... So since I plan to get a Neo anyway, I would pick that up if I could.

NeededSleep

probably the only thing that would get me to purchase A PS4K would be backwards compatibility, that or my launch ps4 breaking.

ddikxela

I don't think backwards compatibility will happen on Neo. Sony have gotta save some big features for the PS5

Top Bottom