• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank PS4 is the fastest selling game to date in the series

Loudninja

So as all of you hopefully know by now, the Ratchet & Clank movie hits theaters today. The game based on the movie (based on the game) launched on April 12 to rave reviews and has been our fastest selling Ratchet & Clank game to date.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/04/29/the-ratchet-clank-movie-hits-theaters-today/

Thank you, Ratchet and @PlayStation fans, for making Ratchet & Clank the fastest selling game in franchise history
https://twitter.com/insomniacgames/status/726116537812160512

Hexa

Awesome! Hope they've already started working on the next one. :)
Also hopefully this means good things for the Sly project even if the R&C game bombs. Or just give us Thieves in Time 2. That would be cool too.

antitrop

I just bought it and started playing it today, definitely enjoying it. I haven't played one since Going Commando came out.

Yea, Jeff Cannata mentioned it in his DLC podcast two weeks ago after visiting insomniac. Cool to have official pr though to bring more attention.

PS4 RC trilogy here we come
mZEXsgS.gif

As a person who didn't even have the game on his radar when it came out, to owning the game and greatly enjoying it, it's well deserved.

I've caught myself smiling because I'm having so much fun with the game. The humor is on point, the gameplay mechanics are good and the level design is fantastic. The game looks and feels great.

I'm quite surprised, the hype didn't seem like much and the marketing has been non-existent on my neck of the woods.

The hype from what I saw just around the net was higher than I remember it being even before Crack in Time was coming out. I always expected it to do very well sales wise.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Love the game, but it has it's share of issues:

- length wise it was pretty short for a non-spinoff Ratchet title
- there was ZERO conflict between Ratchet and Clank, they're just BFFs from the moment they meet
- speaking of Clank, it feels like he barely has any character or dialogue in this one? Something was off with the way he was handled, he used to be so sassy
- Ratchet was really independent in the originals, and a real smartass with character growth. Not so much in this game :(
- Drek was turned into a useless dork
- way too much screen time for Captain Quark. Do people actually like this guy?
- why is
Dr. Nefarious organic now?
His original design is WAY better.

Crack in Time is still the pinnacle of the Ratchet series and it's starting to look more and more like they'll never get to that level again.

Hopefully it has some legs too. Would be a bummer if a sequel (RC2 reimagining or something completely new) would be in jeopardy because of the movie possibly bombing. At least the reviews are not too good.

The movie is not showing where I live but I'd like to see it one day if it truly is so bad as the critics say. It could be another Hotel Transylvania situation where the reviews are over the top harsh because of reasons.

hawk2025

It's still the only recent game I can think of with a solid 5-star rating on Amazon, and it seems to keep selling there even as new releases cycle in and others start sinking.

Not sure if it's an Amazon-specific phenomenon (it tends to happen with specific niches at Amazon, but typically only for a day or two after release, not weeks later). Word of mouth is nothing short of fantastic so far, it seems.

Lingitiz

Probably my favorite game of the year so far. But I hope poor critical response (and possibly box office) doesn't deter them from revisiting the franchise again on the game side.

Sony could probably make a killing on tastefully bringing back series like Jak and Crash at $40.

It's still the only recent game I can think of with a solid 5-star rating on Amazon, and it seems to keep selling there even as new releases cycle in and others start sinking.

Not sure if it's an Amazon-specific phenomenon (it tends to happen with specific niches at Amazon, but typically only for a day or two after release, not weeks later). Word of mouth is nothing short of fantastic so far, it seems.

There's been talks in the sales threads that Ratchet and Clank was also selling out at places like Gamestop, so it's not just Amazon specific. They underestimated demand and have had to keep pumping out new shipments.

I honestly feel like the price point is a big reason for its sales. It's a good impulse buy price. More games definitely need to be $40
I'm not the biggest Ratchet fan (R&C3 was the pinnacle for me), but I'm literally just picking it up tonight. £30 is classic "reasonable price" territory. Wonder if they'll make that connection.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Love the game, but it has it's share of issues:

- length wise it was pretty short for a non-spinoff Ratchet title
- there was ZERO conflict between Ratchet and Clank, they're just BFFs from the moment they meet
- speaking of Clank, it feels like he barely has any character or dialogue in this one? Something was off with the way he was handled, he used to be so sassy
- Ratchet was really independent in the originals, and a real smartass with character growth. Not so much in this game :(
- Drek was turned into a useless dork
- way too much screen time for Captain Quark. Do people actually like this guy?
- why is
Dr. Nefarious organic now?
His original design is WAY better.

Crack in Time is still the pinnacle of the Ratchet series and it's starting to look more and more like they'll never get to that level again.

Eh, see the movie and some of those questions are answered.

People do love Qwark.

And finally - the more successful things are, the better chances of bigger and better things in the future.

Top Bottom