• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank PS4 is the fastest selling game to date in the series

I'm not surprised. I mostly play on Nintendo and PC, but this is the one game that has been pushing me towards picking up a PS4. The animation, the design, the lighting, the creative weapons—it's absolutely stunning.

Probably my favorite game of the year so far. But I hope poor critical response (and possibly box office) doesn't deter them from revisiting the franchise again on the game side.

Sony could probably make a killing on tastefully bringing back series like Jak and Crash at $40.

If I understand who is actually producing the movie correctly, it's not Sony. It seems like the extent of Sony and Insomniac's involvement with the movie itself is licensing the characters, so even if the movie bombs out it won't affect them.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Price point and huge install base really helped. I haven't picked it up yet but I will soon.

bede-x

Well deserved. Am really surprised by how compelling it is. I haven't been able to put it down since I started. Give us more, Sony, and bring back Ape Escape and Jak & Daxter as well.

idonteven

Love the game, but it has it's share of issues:

- length wise it was pretty short for a non-spinoff Ratchet title
- there was ZERO conflict between Ratchet and Clank, they're just BFFs from the moment they meet
- speaking of Clank, it feels like he barely has any character or dialogue in this one? Something was off with the way he was handled, he used to be so sassy
- Ratchet was really independent in the originals, and a real smartass with character growth. Not so much in this game :(
- Drek was turned into a useless dork
- way too much screen time for Captain Quark. Do people actually like this guy?
- why is
Dr. Nefarious organic now?
His original design is WAY better.

Crack in Time is still the pinnacle of the Ratchet series and it's starting to look more and more like they'll never get to that level again.
i think that is how he was before the got fucked and then he transfered his brain into a robot body or something like that

SpaceWolf

Banned
Congratulations, Insomniac!

Genuinely fascinated to see where they take the series from here. Are they going to stick to the rebooted continuity (which unfortunately seems to be attached to a less-than-brilliantly received film) or make a brand new adventure continuing on from Ratchet's search for the Lombaxes?

This is awesome news.

Now ditch the movie story and give us a full sequel to ITN.

Yeahh I'm starting to have mixed feelings on them doing a Going Commando remake unless they can stay more true to its tone and not have the game's story completely compromised by another movie (on the chance it happens). I'd still be excited to see it happen, but I'm more down for just a brand new game that takes place after ItN. Preferably one that goes back to the Bogon galaxy so we can see Megacorp again that way.

Rymuth

I'm playing the game RIGHT NOW...holleeee shieeet is it good. It's like a Pixar movie/Poetry in motion!

So deserved. Hoping for more sales and a sequel down the line.

Yeahh I'm starting to have mixed feelings on them doing a Going Commando remake unless they can stay more true to its tone and not have the game's story completely compromised by another movie (on the chance it happens). I'd still be excited to see it happen, but I'm more down for just a brand new game that takes place after ItN. Preferably one that goes back to the Bogon galaxy so we can see Megacorp again that way.

I agree I would like to see a new universe and a new adventure just like the PS3 trilogy.

AAK

Delivers a hearty blow but falls short of dethroning A Crack In Time as the greatest Sony Published game from the past decade.

Well deserved!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Good stuff. Ratchet & Clank means a lot to me as a franchise, and I hope it sticks around forever.

Hexa

"We should make m-more... more plat-platfor... formm... mmm... mmmM-rated shooters!!"

I literally don't think Sony has a single M rated shooter in development right now.
Uncharted isn't M. Guerilla are working on Horizon and Rigs. Stigs likely M rated shooter was cancelled. The Order 1887 is not happening. Resistance appears to be dead. I guess Bend's Dead Don't Ride could be a shooter though. Oh, and of course TLoU2. Still, I really don't think that's a valid complaint.

Flarin

I always hated that verbiage. WTF does "Fastest selling" even mean? Fastest selling to a certain number?

Anyways, been loving the game. 2 trophies away from the Platinum and probably my favorite game of year so far.

nillah

Banned
4 films at your local cinema would cost $16.00 (@$4.00/flick)

If each film is 3 hours long you'd be up to 12 hours for four different movies, about the length of R&C which is $36.00

lt519

Deserved too, fantastic game, $40 price point had to of helped a bit. Already beat it twice and half way through my third playthrough.

Trogdor1123

Love the game, but it has it's share of issues:

- length wise it was pretty short for a non-spinoff Ratchet title
- there was ZERO conflict between Ratchet and Clank, they're just BFFs from the moment they meet
- speaking of Clank, it feels like he barely has any character or dialogue in this one? Something was off with the way he was handled, he used to be so sassy
- Ratchet was really independent in the originals, and a real smartass with character growth. Not so much in this game :(
- Drek was turned into a useless dork
- way too much screen time for Captain Quark. Do people actually like this guy?
- why is
Dr. Nefarious organic now?
His original design is WAY better.

Crack in Time is still the pinnacle of the Ratchet series and it's starting to look more and more like they'll never get to that level again.
Interesting, I disagree with pretty much everything you wrote. It's not to say these things didn't happen, just that I wasn't bothered by it and usually liked those changes.

Crack is great though I agree, I prefer tools though but only by a small margin.

Would do better if was ps4 launch game. But people would complaint about the graphics not be next gen

Honestly I'd imagine 1080p Puppeteer would have no problem standing proud with PS4 launch games. Knack is a good looking cartoony launch game and I would put puppeteer way above that just for artstyle alone.

On topic, thank the gods Sony delayed Uncharted till May.

Wozman23

I am a black hole, devouring Ratchet & Clank releases with much joy, but never satiated.

As a longtime fanatic of the series - which is my favorite in all of gaming - I really hope this means we can continue to get full-fledged entries or a new trilogy. As great as the reboot was, it was still banking off of old ideas. We really haven't had a conventional release since 2009 (or 2013 if you count Into the Nexus) so I'm really curious to see if the team has any fresh, new, progressive ideas.

On the subject of the $40 price point: I'm glad it exists. A lot of my favorite games from the past few years have launched at 40: R&C, Tearaway Unfolded, Sly: Thieves in Time, and Puppeteer. For what was once, and is still often, deemed a dying genre, I'm grateful they found a way to release and in most cases be somewhat successful. The Puppeteer comments make me sad. It was such a brilliant, unique, artistic game that far too few people experienced. It was easily one of my favorite new IPs on the PS3. I'd be first in line to buy a sequel, but sadly I don't see that ever happening. I'd have switched it with the underwhelming Knack in a heartbeat had it helped Puppeteer gain a bit more exposure.

pixelation

Bring on the PlayStation platforming renaissance. Jumping Flash, Ape Escape, J&D, Crash Bandicoot - I want them all back.
YUSS!!!
giphy.gif
lol!!!

I hope that for the next game there's no movie tie-in, i much prefer the story in the previous games and i feel like the story bits in the game suffered due to being connected with the movie. I have not yet heard Clank's trademark laugh in the game so far... T_T

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Mix of four positive trends:
1) PS4 selling well, so there's a natural tide lifting software sales.
2) It's been a while since there's been a full mainline Ratchet & Clank game.
3) Spinoff promotion for the film
4) The game is by all accounts quite great (I haven't bought a PS4 yet, but it'd be the first game I'd buy if I did)

Glad to hear it. Looking forward to seeing more Insomniac's next few projects too, especially Song of the Deep and Edge of Nowhere.

NastyBook

Congrats on the success, Insomniac. I'll take a Going Commando remake next year, for sure. OMG and now I'm thinking about a Deadlocked remake. Needs to control EXACTLY the same, though. And leave the weapons alone. Just make 'em SEXIER.

Top Bottom