• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank PS4 is the fastest selling game to date in the series

timlot

Banned
I always hated that verbiage. WTF does "Fastest selling" even mean? Fastest selling to a certain number?

Anyways, been loving the game. 2 trophies away from the Platinum and probably my favorite game of year so far.

"Fastest selling" seemed strange to me too. I'm sure it sold well because of the large user base, but the fastest selling is so unlike Sony wording.

Zomba13

Love the game, but it has it's share of issues:

- length wise it was pretty short for a non-spinoff Ratchet title
- there was ZERO conflict between Ratchet and Clank, they're just BFFs from the moment they meet
- speaking of Clank, it feels like he barely has any character or dialogue in this one? Something was off with the way he was handled, he used to be so sassy
- Ratchet was really independent in the originals, and a real smartass with character growth. Not so much in this game :(
- Drek was turned into a useless dork
- way too much screen time for Captain Quark. Do people actually like this guy?
- why is
Dr. Nefarious organic now?
His original design is WAY better.

Crack in Time is still the pinnacle of the Ratchet series and it's starting to look more and more like they'll never get to that level again.

I feel that most of those complaints can be pointed towards the movie. The reason why Clank has so little dialouge? Movie. Reason Ratchet didn't have much growth? Movie. No conflict between them? Movie.

I haven't seen the movie though and don't plan to but I assume that all that stuff is in the movie and they just didn't use those scenes in the game or create in-game cutscenes showing that stuff because they didn't need to.

I assume that if we get a new Ratchet game without it being tied to a movie and still at the same quality level of this one then the story and character stuff will be stronger because it doesn't have to dance around the plot in the movie and pick and choose the moments to include.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the game. I hadn't played a Ratchet game since I think the first two on the PS2 (borrowed from a friend) and I'd forgotten nearly everything so this game was fresh and fun and I would love them to make another in the same style, like either a re-imagining of 2 or split off the sequel in it's own direction or something. I dunno, I just want more.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
I always hated that verbiage. WTF does "Fastest selling" even mean? Fastest selling to a certain number?

Anyways, been loving the game. 2 trophies away from the Platinum and probably my favorite game of year so far.

Fastest selling implies from launch date to now No Ratchet and Clank title has sold more copies than this one in the same time frame.

Tuck

- there was ZERO conflict between Ratchet and Clank, they're just BFFs from the moment they meet
- speaking of Clank, it feels like he barely has any character or dialogue in this one? Something was off with the way he was handled, he used to be so sassy
- Ratchet was really independent in the originals, and a real smartass with character growth. Not so much in this game :(
- why is
Yeah the story was botched from pretty much every angle.
Crack in Time is still the pinnacle of the Ratchet series and it's starting to look more and more like they'll never get to that level again.
GC is far superior.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Fastest selling means someone got the game several weeks early and not that the game has sold more in a shorter amount of time than previous entries.

I'm onto you, Sony. I'm onto you.

krae_man

Reality is it's meaningless. It's like saying your concert sold out when you papered the fuck out of it.

Only thing that matters is revenue generated-expenses over the entire sales life of the game and that will never be disclosed.

With the preorder machine being the biggest it's ever been and the digital download infrastructure being better then ever if you're not the "fastest selling ever" you're doing something wrong.

Ever since All 4 One, Insomniac's QA has been inexcusably poor. I'm kind of disappointed how acceptable that's become. Then again I'm part of the problem because I keep buying these broken games.

Juraash

This series holds such nostalgia for me and I'm really glad this latest iteration is selling and reviewing well. While the reviews for the film worried me somewhat, this helps alleviate some of my fears with regards to R&Cs future.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Hopefully ill buy it tomorrow. (Gotta get some $$ first lol)

le.phat

Hopefully its sales can inspire more devs to return to awesome platforms for the undoubtedly platform hungry PlayStation fans

Lijik

Glad this worked out a lot better for Sony than 2013 where they had like what 4 platformer style games and all of them bombed hard unless you count Knack

Hope theres a sequel on the horizon!

KevinCow

Banned
Good to hear. It's a lot of fun from what I've played, and I've never been a huge fan of the Ratchet series before.

I need to play more, though. I haven't really been in much of a game playing mood lately. I'm only like a couple of hours in and haven't played it in weeks.

Rymuth

Mix of four positive trends:
1) PS4 selling well, so there's a natural tide lifting software sales.
2) It's been a while since there's been a full mainline Ratchet & Clank game.
3) Spinoff promotion for the film
4) The game is by all accounts quite great (I haven't bought a PS4 yet, but it'd be the first game I'd buy if I did)

Glad to hear it. Looking forward to seeing more Insomniac's next few projects too, especially Song of the Deep and Edge of Nowhere.

Greats points but also add: -

5) Priced rather smartly.

Hope you pick up the game soon, it's great.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Hell yeaaaaah! New Ratchet game for PS4 from the ground up is a GO! Don't mess with me, Insomniac & Sony.

Error1355

This was my first Ratchet and Clank game and holy hell am I having fun with it. I didn't realize how much I missed games in this style until now too.

It makes me a little giggly when I see someone complain that
Nefarious is organic
when that is literally the entire point of
his backstory, was that he was turned into a robot after a horrific accident at the hands of Qwark, and once he became robotic, he went batshit.
The movie and this game are just clearly
pre-incident.
Although I thought I read that
a sequel tease shows him roboticized.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Great job Insomniac and Sony for keeping on this series, it could have easily just been shelved like so many other IP's after middling success last gen.

Glad to see it come back strong...just a word of advice to whoever is in charge : Don't tie down talented game developers to movie tie ins.

This game should have been its own thing, if they wanted to make it a reboot, reimagining or whatever. Now this game is going to be tainted with the horrible reception of the movie, and it should never have had to be that way.

Also i hope this gives sony some balls to revisit a few other of their classic IP's to give them a new lease on life via reboot or remake.

AHA-Lambda

And yet it's like what 12th in the series? And a remake and a tie in to a critically panned movie that's going to bomb

I'm honestly surprised o_o
Not saying it doesn't deserve it! I've got a soft spot for early R&C

And yet it's like what 12th in the series? And a remake and a tie in to a critically panned movie that's going to bomb

I'm honestly surprised o_o
Not saying it doesn't deserve it! I've got a soft spot for early R&C

It's the 6th mainline entry.

And it's the first one since 2009. That's 7 years.

Shin-chan

This is the first Ratchet game to really hook me. Despite Lamentations of 30fps it actually feels like the most responsive of the series and the guns feel awesome.

I hope Insomniac keeps it up and that their new IPs pan out well. I look forward to what comes next in this series and in general.

(Ps I never played resistance 3 but I'd also like a remaster of the trilogy)

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
HEAR ME OUT JAMES!

Resistance 4: R2 CoOp going hamster Edition
Yeah, all the game is like R2 CoOp..

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ x99999
EDIT: lol at Crash fans.

Hustler

So...let's see some real numbers!!! I'm thoroughly enjoying the game, bought it day one because of how beautiful the game looks and Amazon Prime discount sure helps. $32 price point is a good impulse buy. Waited for the reviews and....bought. So when is the 2nd one coming out?? :)

notaskwid

- why is

Doesn't feel short at all.
The story of this games is whatever to me, so I guess Im not affected by the rest.

- why is

I agree they kind of gave Clank the shaft.

Drek is not threatening or an asshole anymore.

Qwark is supposed to be these shady guy whose a "hero" until later and they kind of removed that.

As for Ratchet being more of a angry surfer guy with attitude. Apparently Insomniac didin't like how that worked out. That's why they changed Ratchets voice actor for the second game. So in the remake I am not surprised that Ratchet and Clank are much more liking to each other, though I miss those scenes where he was focused on destroying Qwark. Made it more emotional when Ratchet started realizing the real threat and warmed up to Clank.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Also yeah, the 40$ price tag really fed into a huge amount of impulse buys on top of the good word of mouth. Sony need to experiment more with games of this size at the 40$ range, they might be surprised at the success.

Review scores def helped this title as well get noticed by people who otherwise would not have even bothered to look twice at it.

Yes! Nice job, Playststion owners!

I was hoping the game wouldn't flop, since it may have what looks like a poorly-reviewed movie working against. But this game seems to have great wom and reviews. I'm waiting on my copy.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Awesome news and well deserved!!!! Also shows that Sony fanbase is dying for more platformers!

C'mon Sony....let's see a new Crash, Jak and Daxter, and Ape Escape!!! Hell even an Ape Escape Collection on PS4 with trophies that includes the never released in US, Million Monkeys game!

Top Bottom