• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD: Infinite Warfare: Seamless ground to orbit, mission choice, customizable jet

The fighter, referred to in the game as a Jackal, "can transform between atmospheric flight mode and zero-G flight mode for when you have to dogfight in the vacuum of space," Infinity Ward design director Jacob Minkoff explained in an interview with IGN.

According to Minkoff, Infinite Warfare will offer a seamless experience in which players are fully invested in not only their character, but also their vehicle. "It's kind of the Top Gun fantasy," he explained, noting that "it's your fighter that you get to upgrade and customize. You get to walk along the flight deck and have the flight crew preparing it for you and saluting you and you get into it and you fly out into these crazy missions that you chose to go to."

In this way, "you can be boots on ground, fighting through the streets of a city on earth, call down your Jackal, get into it, fly up through the atmosphere, engage in a dogfight over the orbit of earth, finish that dogfight, land on the deck of the carrier, get into the carrier, go up to the bridge, and order your ship to go to the next mission and all of it happens seamlessly with no loading screens."
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/05...-gun-fantasy-in-call-of-duty-infinite-warfare

Non-linear side missions:

"We are telling a linear story, but along the way you can choose to attack targets of opportunity, and attacking those targets of opportunity will reward you with various items and progression and loot elements that will help you to accomplish the next main mission that you accept from command," he added, noting they "will also reveal optional elements of the story."
http://m.ign.com/articles/2016/05/0...warfare-side-missions-provide-in-game-rewards

Rembrandt

Banned
you know what, if that last quote is true then this will be great. i still have fun with their single player.

really curious to see what BF is going to do.

Boke1879

I can't wait for them to show more. I also hope this isn't limited to like one mission either. Could be good. They definitely have my attention with this. It reminds of Killzone are far as story goes and It seems we'll be able to go to different planets.

Can't wait to see more of the campaign, MP and zombie mode :)

Corpekata

Banned
I'm betting this sounds a lot cooler than it is. A lot of these scenes in these games are very scripted, and so this reads to me like it'll be some cool nearly cinematic like transitions, but not much else.

I'm betting this sounds a lot cooler than it is. A lot of these scenes in these games are very scripted, and so this reads to me like it'll be some cool nearly cinematic like transitions, but not much else.

Yep. They are simply talking about loading screens between space and ground warfare, nothing more.

Plum

Now put that into MP and we'll all be good. If they're worried about balance issues they should at least have a mode where halfway through you and your team get picked up and go into space or something.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Kaversmed

They should just have shown this as a "walkthrough video" instead of what they did. Would have been much more effective. At least I think.

213372bu

Banned
Alarm bells are ringing even though this is suppose to sound hype.

Infinity Ward post reconstruction (MW3-) has produced nothing but disappointments and steps back in the genre.

I'll be cautious on the game, but if it looks hype enough I'll maybe consider getting it as MWR is pretty much a guaranteed winner.

They should just have shown this as a "walkthrough video" instead of what they did. Would have been much more effective. At least I think.

They always reserve mission walkthroughs for E3.

Alarm bells are ringing even though this is suppose to sound hype.

Infinity Ward post reconstruction (MW3-) has produced nothing but disappointments and steps back in the genre.

I'll be cautious on the game, but if it looks hype enough I'll maybe consider getting it as MWR is pretty much a guaranteed winner.

They've made a lot of changes since Ghost. Most notably they've hired the lead designer of The Last of Us.

Yep. I'm guessing there will only be a few missions where this is possible and it will be in very specific moments where you're told exactly what to do.

Much like how they hyped the EXO suit so much in AW, yet during the campaign most of the abilities could only be used in scripted situations.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
A lot of what CoD has been doing in recent years is stuff Destiny should have done. A weird situation.

nOoblet16

While it sounds cool, I bet it's just going to be one or two sequences which are scripted.

I'm not saying he is lying but he can be speaking the truth and yet you can have a scripted sequence where you are on the ground shooting, then call your plane as part of a "one time use cool device" , that COD games have a lot, then go to space fights and never do it again.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
One question I hope gets answered soon... when you call down you ship, is it 'on rails' when leaving the atmosphere and coming back in?

This is sounding more interesting, and may be the first CoD I purchase since MW, and ironically, MW is included.

While it sounds cool, I bet it's just going to be one or two sequences which are scripted.

I'm not saying he is lying but he can be speaking the truth and yet you can have a scripted sequence where you are on the ground shooting, then call your plane as part of a "one time use cool device" , that COD games have a lot, then go to space fights and never do it again.

This is my concern.

AHA-Lambda

This. How many times has CoD titles before said similar things like this and it's never really went anywhere

You get to walk along the flight deck and have the flight crew preparing it for you and saluting you...
Can you salute back? With how many hands? Can you make airplane arms and run around the flight deck?
According to Minkoff, Infinite Warfare will offer a seamless experience in which players are fully invested in not only their character, but also their vehicle. "It's kind of the Top Gun fantasy," he explained
I haven't actually seen Top Gun, but I've heard it's quite homoerotic, so will this game include fantasies related to that as well?

Hot Shots is more fun. Can't you just make the Hot Shots fantasy instead?

Why aren't these journalists asking the important questions?

tuxfool

Banned
Seems very No Man Sky is. Hopping in to the craft and flying around seamlessly.

Except that No mans sky you can do it anywhere you wish, at any time you want. Judging by the typical COD campaign this is liable to be a glorified loading screen.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
So it's Colony Wars with some CoD-style FPS gameplay thrown in.

I'm in.

Nokterian

Except that No mans sky you can do it anywhere you wish, at any time you want. Judging by the typical COD campaign this is liable to be a glorified loading screen.

And you will be forced to land on a piece of 'land' you can't land anywhere in the world what they made it is all tailored and specific set pieces that is my guess and will be funny that is even accurate it is not no man's sky at all.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Yea, for some reason people would rather play endless hordes of boring zombies rather than a co-op campaign. Or even better, a new SPEC OPS CAMPAIGN.

The fact that Spec Ops never left the Modern Warfare series is possibly the biggest crime of the franchise. Best co-op mode ever.

A co-op campaign could have potential, so long as it's well designed like the Spec Ops missions, and not like the messy 4-player co-op in Black Ops 3.

Top Bottom