• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster PC performance thread

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

(Click for general game info.)

System requirements:
ffxx2hdsysreqs8qu1y.jpg

Latest drivers: (as at 21/12/2017)
Nvidia: 388.71
AMD: 17.12.2
Intel: Depends on your processor; download the driver update utility

Tips and tricks:
Cap the framerate/potentially improve frametimes: Download RivaTuner Statistics Server, input your desired framerate limit in the "Framerate limit" box, and hit enter (the program comes bundled with MSI Afterburner and earlier versions of EVGA PrecisionX). Alternatively, those with an Nvidia GPU have the option of Nvidia Inspector, which can also be used to impose a framerate cap, either in a similar manner to RTSS or by way of forcing a different vsync interval (click the small tool icon to open the game profile section).
Note: Useful if you your system can't maintain, say, 60fps and you're sensitive to the wild fluctuations, or you're experiencing uneven frametimes. The greater window the engine has to render a given frame, if you're imposing a lower framerate than the game can otherwise provide, may also help in alleviating stuttering related to data streaming.
Stop the game from crashing after 15 minutes on touch-capable systems running Windows 10: Open the task manager, switch to the Services tab and disable TabletInputService.
Mix/match languages settings, manage cursor presence, fix DPI scaling-related issues, implement custom controller icons, and a few other things: Download Untitled Project X. (Credit to Kaldaien.)

icon_warning.png
When posting your own tip/trick or something else you'd like to see here in the OP, be sure to mention my username as this way the post will appear among the results when I search for my username after an absence. I may miss your suggestion otherwise.

Graphics settings:
ffxx2hdgfxsettings0vu3x.jpg

Resolution: Self-explanatory
Screen mode: Window mode; Full screen mode; Borderless mode
Video quality setting: Low; Medium; High

Resolution: Self-explanatory
Screen mode: Full screen mode; Borderless mode; Windowed mode
Brightness: Self-explanatory
Vsync: Off/On
Texture quality: Low; Medium; High
Anisotropic filtering: 1x; 2x; 4x; 8x; 16x
Shadows: Off; Low (1024x1024); Medium (2048x2048); High (4096x4096)
Anti-aliasing: Off; MSAA 2x; MSAA 4x; MSAA 8x
Color correction: Off/On

Anti-aliasing (post filter): Off; FXAA; SMAA Low; SMAA Medium; SMAA High; SMAA Ultra
Unsharp mask: Off/On
Ambient occlusion: Off; HDAO Low; HDAO Medium; HDAO High

So these other settings are available in the game?

Higher resolutions fuck up the screen and I have the japanese control scheme and I don't know why.

It's nice to see that SE is getting better at these ports, looking back on the disaster that FF XIII was... Good practice for if FF XV gets ported :)

More so on topic though, it's a shame they didn't add the japanese audio. Any chance they could add this in a patch, or as dlc (like they did with lightining returns on consoles) in the future?

AlanOC91

980ti
AMD FX8350 @ 4.7ghz

4k resolution. Perfect 30fps with no drops so far. Obviously not that far into the game but 1000 times better than XIII/XIII-2 which give me 15-25fps.

IQ looks extremely clean. I'm impressed.

Playing in borderless fullscreen mode is also pretty flawless.

JaseC

It's nice to see that SE is getting better at these ports, looking back on the disaster that FF XIII was... Good practice for if FF XV gets ported :)

More so on topic though, it's a shame they didn't add the japanese audio. Any chance they could add this in a patch, or as dlc (like they did with lightining returns on consoles) in the future?

Japanese audio is in, but it requires that the text language be set to Japanese. It's not possible (for now, at least) to mix and match.

(Click for general game info.)

Thanks for the OT! You should probably include that the game doesn't have proper dual audio, the only way to get Japanese voices is to change the entire game language to Japanese/Korean/Chinese.

980ti
AMD FX8350 @ 4.7ghz

4k resolution. Perfect 30fps with no drops so far. Obviously not that far into the game but 1000 times better than XIII/XIII-2 which give me 15-25fps.

IQ looks extremely clean. I'm impressed.

I can't believe they're finally just querying the OS for resolution options! And proper framerates! So excited to play this game again, I got the Vita version on sale months ago but only got a few minutes into it before getting distracted with other stuff.

JaseC

Thanks for the OT! You should probably include that the game doesn't have proper dual audio, the only way to get Japanese voices is to change the entire game language to Japanese/Korean/Chinese.

This thread is just for discussion relating to technical matters. The OT is here.

Parsnip

Just a quick test, but it seems 4K with everything up on max is quite doable with gtx970.

So there are issues with DSR?

Hopefully someone toys around with SGSSAA. I can't handle just MSAA anymore!

Not necessarily a DSR issue, but it seems like the fullscreen option in the game isn't actual exclusive fullscreen. It behaves more like borderless, but then there's also borderless. Don't know what's going on there.

JaseC

What are the maximum settings?

I have my new rig on the way, and want to select the highest options.

The ones in the screenshots in the OP. The "High" preset in the launcher sets them as high as they go. Plus the values of each setting are listed in the OP. ;)

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
II wonder what the weakest GPU that can get 4k is...seems like decent options so far

Japanese audio is in, but it requires that the text language be set to Japanese. It's not possible (for now, at least) to mix and match.

Yeah I just saw the post on the community page saying there were technical issues in adding it. Oh well. The voice acting in English is manageable for the majority of the game.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Japanese text and audio is an option in the American release?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Just a quick test, but it seems 4K with everything up on max is quite doable with gtx970.

Not necessarily a DSR issue, but it seems like the fullscreen option in the game isn't actual exclusive fullscreen. It behaves more like borderless, but then there's also borderless. Don't know what's going on there.

That looks clean!
Glad to hear it's doing 4K DSR on a single 970. This makes the PC version the definitive version IMO.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Are the max settings offered comparable to the PS4 version or are there improvements (apart from resolution) enabled by this PC port?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, but only at the same time, can't mix Japanese audio with English text, for example.
Until someone mods it.

Thanks! Square has a spotty history of including full language options in their western releases. FFXIII Lightning Returns had Japanese built in as an option, but the other FFXIII releases only had western languages.

I'll go ahead buy this from Steam now that I know that!

KainXVIII

Anti-aliasing (post filter): Off; FXAA; SMAA Low; SMAA Medium; SMAA High; SMAA Ultra
Unsharp mask: Off/On
So using SMAA with MSAA is better solution?
And what is unsharp mask? Some comparison shots will be nice..

Zexen

Are the max settings offered comparable to the PS4 version or are there improvements (apart from resolution) enabled by this PC port?
I have yet to play it, but I'm pretty sure the shadows are improved, being pushed to 4096x4096.

So using SMAA with MSAA is better solution?
And what is unsharp mask? Some comparison shots will be nice..
hH9FS.png

This is unsharp mask at work. Probably used to counter PPAA blurring.

Parsnip

JaseC, maybe a tip for the OP.

If anyone is running the game at higher than their monitor/TV native resolution and only see part of the screen even with the fullscreen option, try turning of DPI scaling from Windows settings. On my end at least Windows 10 was automatically scaling the game to 200% when I launched the game at 4K.

jett

D-Member
How annoying that it's locked to 30fps.

How much of a difference would it make in a game like this? dodging lightning bolts in thunder plains would be a pain though.
More fluid,smoother blitzball games perhaps?

Visually it would just look better, period.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
It's not. Higher framerate is always better to look at.

For those games that require quick controller response and fast motions, i agree with you. But it is literally just a check box for a game like this.

unless you literally can't stand to experience anything at lower framerates in which case i wonder how some people watch literally any other medium outside of video games.

Top Bottom