• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hillary Clinton wins Washington Primary

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsmith

remember me
But because delegates were apportioned based on the earlier Caucus result, the pledged delegate count is Sanders 25 - Clinton 9.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/735310973339357188
TXJfw3O.png

Clinton 54%
Sanders 46%
http://results.vote.wa.gov/results/current/President-Democratic-Party.html

Damaniel

Banned
You mean when you take a tiny number of a candidate's most vocal supporters, get them in a room together with people who support the other candidate, then have those vocal people browbeat and intimidate the rest into voting for your guy, the results don't really reflect the will of the greater electorate? You don't say...

teiresias

So once again Bernie can only win when the number of people represented in the vote is smaller as it is in a caucus. . . what a revolution.

adj_noun

According to John Oliver the Washington Primary doesnt count because no one cares about it though.

It doesn't count because it's basically a fake primary for the Dems. The caucus was all that mattered.

We have a fake Democratic primary and a real Democratic caucus and a fake Republican caucus and a real Republican primary.

...look, at least we all vote by mail. That system is great. We need to get it together when it comes to this primary stuff.

@NateSilver538

Clinton wins Washington primary, which doesn't count for delegates. But already 650K votes there vs. 230K in caucus.

Pretty ironic that the Sanders camp complains about voter participation restrictions while constantly championing caucuses.

adj_noun

Because of the way we vote here (the ballots getting mailed to your house), a lot of folks THINK the Dem primary is the "real" primary as opposed to the caucus and have been waiting all this time to get their ballot so they could finally vote.

It's just messed up.

Damaniel

Banned
Caucus vote was 26.2k. Bernie won 72%.

Tonight was 654k (and counting) and Hillary won 54%.

In other words, Hillary won the primary by more votes than there were *total* votes cast in the caucus. And Bernie's supporters say that caucuses are the most democratic way to choose a candidate....

As a non-American, I don't get it. What's a primary and what's a caucasus, and why is this important?

Primary - People vote privately and use a paper ballot to submit their vote

Caucus - You go to a place at a specific time, group up with other people who support your candidate and are forced to stay in that location as you are harassed by whoever has more people for the other candidate to change your vote or leave because you don't want to stand around for multiple hours waiting for the final headcount.

Guess which one has a far smaller turnout and less representative of what people actually want

leroidys

I wonder if all my Washington friends will stop screaming about getting the corrupt super delegates out of office because they don't represent the will of the people. Probably not.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Primary - People vote privately and use a paper ballot to submit their vote

Caucus - You go to a place at a specific time, group up with other people who support your candidate and are forced to stay in that location as you are harassed by whoever has more people for the other candidate to change your vote or leave because you don't want to stand around for multiple hours waiting for the final headcount.

Guess which one has a far smaller turnout and less representative of what people actually want

Weird. Why are caucuses a thing?

Damaniel

Banned
As a non-American, I don't get it. What's a primary and what's a caucasus, and why is this important?

Primary = everybody goes to a ballot box and casts a secret ballot. Or, in the case of Washington, fills out and returns their mail in ballot. The winner is determined by counting the ballots, just like pretty much everywhere else in the world.

Caucus = people get in a room together at a very specific time and argue with each other over which candidate that group of people will support. The winner is determined by counting the number of those groups of people statewide that support one candidate versus another. Since the vote isn't secret, the winner of a particular group of people is often influenced by intimidation tactics. If you can't make it at the designated time, you don't get a vote.

Washington makes things a little harder to get - for some reason that I have no clue about, they do both a caucus and a primary. The caucus is what's used to determine who 'wins' the state and gets the most delegates to select the nominee in July at the party convention. The primary is purely a beauty contest and has no effect on delegate allocation.

This is the second state where there was both a caucus and a non-binding primary, where Bernie won the caucus and Hillary won the primary - the latter of which had as many as 10x the number of participants as the former. These results demonstrate that all caucuses do is give a disproportionately large voice to a vocal minority of die hard supporters who have time to show up at the specific designated location. They're very disenfranchising, partially due to the scheduling issues, and partially due to the lack of a secret ballot - in the case of the latter, everybody knows who you support, and the other side will try hard to get you to switch your support. In that case, peer pressure and intimidation can go a long way.

I was wrong about the caucus vote in earlier post. 230k caucused, not 26k. 26k is delegates.

Still though, Bernie got destroyed tonight.

These results would have been very different if it were a contested contest.

However, these results are extremely concerning to someone who wants as many people as possible to participate in the selection of the Democratic nominee. Especially given the caucus results. Caucuses are an undemocratic mess and need to go.

I hope Hillary had a nice drink tonight watching these results. She deserves it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom