• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I like CG trailers.

FluxWaveZ

E3 is impending. It's not a new phenomenon by any means, but there've been a lot of complaints recently about how a trailer is CG so it's totally pointless or that one won't watch it because it's CG. We'll be seeing a lot more of these in the coming days.

I'd just like to say that I enjoy them. Sometimes a lot. Obviously, they don't convey how the game will actually play like. Sometimes they don't convey how the game will actually look like. Sometimes they don't even convey what the tone or atmosphere for the game will actually be like.

But, for me, it's not about buying into the marketing and being hyped for a game simply based on its CG trailer. I like them in isolation; some of these trailers just look really cool. And based on how cool it looks, my interest in learning more about the actual "game" will increase accordingly. I'm not in any rush to see gameplay asap; some seem obsessed with this when they won't even have the opportunity to play the game anytime soon anyways.

Sometimes I think CG trailers can be really boring, too.

That's cool. I personally can't stand them. I want to see gameplay.

If you're going to announce a game via a trailer with no in-game footage, it needs to be, like, 10 seconds long at most.

Raptor

I love CG trailers, I still watch some Blizzard trailers.

Just watched Litch King one, jeez is incredible.

Cess007

I love CG cinematics.

However, for trailers, i love more actual gameplay trailers. I think they interest me more nowadays as i can actually see the game in action.

Your title made me think of this

7zkiG.gif

If they accompany them with gameplay trailers as well, I don't mind, it's when they just CG trailers with no gameplay for months on end. It just reeks of "we have nothing to show yet, so here's a CG trailer of what the game itself may look like"

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yea, I am in the camp that wishes they were a thing of the past, might as well be a punch of picture of fairy dust and unicorns.

silva1991

They can be cool sometimes, but eventually pointless

I remember back in PS2 days I was impressed by many CG videos of games only to be disappointed by the gameplay.

I like em too, but for a first reveal i'd rather have actual gameplay
if you want to give me both, that's great

CG trailers can come after gameplay, no issues there either

udivision

I think they can be cool. On the other hand, it would be weird to watch a reveal trailer for a Nintendo game and have no clue what the game actually looked like. Maybe it works better for certain types of games.

I always like CG teasers. I prefer CG teasers. Bring them on and bring them on bountifully.

But once the game has been announced and has been in public development for some time, I am ready for gameplay. Generally, I don't find gameplay trailers particularly engaging. But I do like gameplay DEMOS.

If we only ever got CG trailers and accompanying demos for the foreseeable future, I would be very pleased. CG trailers are great for setting up the style, characters, and world in a way that gives people something to speculate over. Gameplay is much more matter-of-fact and doesn't create any long term excitement for me.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Totally agree lately I've been taking a isolated view on them and I can't help but appreciate all the work that goes into them. Yeah of course some of them can be boring but some of them are quite fun. And I say this while not denying that gameplay trailers are more preferable to get a sense of the game.
I just wish crediting CGI trailer in game was common practice.

It depends. Usually when I dislike them, it's when it's an announcement trailer. Sometimes, CG for announcement trailers don't bother me much if it's for a running franchise and I already pretty much know what I can be expecting from it. If it's a CG trailer for a game that I've already seen a decent amount of gameplay footage for, perfectly fine with me.

They're cool but I can't stand when a CG trailer drops and people start talking about how great the game looks, like the trailer gave any indication.

When done well, they're excellent. Overwatch's CG shorts sold a lot of people on the game, and established a great tone for that universe. The recent CG teases for Injustice 2 and Agents of Mayhem got a lot of shit, but I think both accomplish the job of informing what a game is aiming for on a stylistic level.

As long as they're not deceitfully presented as gameplay - nothing to fret about here.

DieH@rd

Banned
CGI trailers are great gaming tradition, I hope they will never go away. I still remember some that got me hyped up 20+ years ago, and new one just continue being better and better.

Molemitts

Show me gameplay, it's a simple point.

Even if it's story focused, or you want to portray a tone, if you can't do that through showing me content from the game then that's a very clear failure.

As a supplementary thing, sure, they can be great. As an announcement for a new videogame, combined with zero gameplay footage? Yuck.

DedValve

Banned
If they accompany them with gameplay trailers as well, I don't mind, it's when they just CG trailers with no gameplay for months on end. It just reeks of "we have nothing to show yet, so here's a CG traile rof what the game itself may look like"

This. I don't mind something like Injustice because it feels like we will get more in E3 (a week) and we already know what the game is going to be like based of its predecessor.

Something like ReCore however is unacceptable. New ip, absolutely no idea what the game is like, only a CG trailer and no gameplay trailer to this day. Same for Crackdown and Scalebound.

Had those CG trailers been accompanied by gameplay trailers very shortly afterwards or at the same time then fine.

I say this LOVING CG trailers, the good ones are absolutely amazing and can really build hype! Just please have gameplay at the ready with new info on the game.

Blizzard CG trailers are legit the hypest.

Fbh

I can see the apeal of the trailer itself. They are often fun to watch and well animated.

But as a way to announce a game, specially if it's the only thing you have to show: I hate them.

I honestly believe that if your game is so early into development that you have nothing to show but a CGI trailer, then it's too early to announce that game

Mupod

SE and Blizz still make fantastic CG trailers <3

I guess we should make the distinction between a prerendered CG announcement trailer and a game intro movie. Nobody watches an intro for FF14 or WoW and thinks that's gameplay.

On that subject I generally don't watch TV, but while at the gym I've seen some Overwatch ads and it's weird how they are only showing CG. It's well done but not representative of the game at all.

CG trailers are an art form by themselves. There have been some incredible ones made over the years and my favorite still being the Old Republic ones which I believed captured Star Wars and brought it new life in the modern day.

Sure gameplay is awesome to see but man I would be sad if CG trailers were to go.

Some Nobody

I like the one you don't like, OP. :p

To me, CG trailers are best with new IPs or IPs that have been re-tooled. Show me what your mission statement is for this game. The game could control excellently but I'm not going to give a fuck if it doesn't look cool, so show me your world.

Having said that. I do need to see gameplay soon afterwards--don't just drop a CG trailer on me and walk away for six months. :p I wouldn't be nearly as hyped for Agents of Mayhem if I didn't believe there was more info coming this month.

Breads

Banned
CG trailers can be enjoyable. I rather liked the Dark Souls 2 trailer for example.

I am a life long gamer in my 30s though so I am a bit bitter after getting disappointed so many times due to misleading trailers. Like Dark Souls 2 for example. Great game in it's own right. It's just not the game it was in the original CG.

To those who forgot....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7Lp-5WdtD0

.... this is not the game we got.

This is why gameplay footage is so important for me. Has nothing to do with "marketting". I thought Bethesda's FO4 warts and all approach was very refreshing and it's the kind of thing I would like to see more of.

Javier23

Banned
CG trailers can be cool, but what I want from a game is to see gameplay. If I'm not interested in the game a CG trailer won't get me interested on it, and if I am then it will just annoy me that they're not showing any gameplay. I do understand the need to start teasing people and generating hype specially when you don't have nothing to show, but I'd rather they just waited until they did.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I'm actually fine with CG trailers for a game's initial reveal, but unless it's a well-known franchise, it's hard to get excited for something without gameplay. If I watch your trailer and have no idea what kind of game it is at all, you have failed.

Top Bottom