• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video shows cops fatally shooting Calif. teen on ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

platocplx

The clip, released Wednesday by the Fresno Bee, showed officers firing two shots at Dylan Noble as they tell him to raise his hands.

Fresno police said that the teen was shot four times — two before the video — after officers felt threatened by him during a June 25 traffic stop in a gas station parking lot.

The video seemed to show that Noble did not pose any danger to the policemen while lying bleeding on the ground, though Police Chief Jerry Dyer said that the young man lifted up his shirt and reached for his waistband.

No weapons were found on Noble or in his truck.

This is a national problem.

More at link:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=NYDailyNewsTw

Additional source:
http://abc7.com/news/new-video-shows-portion-of-deadly-fresno-police-shooting/1416666/

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
If you read the story, it sounds like a suicide by cop though...

That case seems sketchy based on the guy's behavior - I don't think you can fault the cops.He kept hiding his hands in his waistband multiple times, and hiding his hand behind his back.

Squalor

Holy fuck, he wasn't even within five feet of the three officers. Plus he was already on the ground.
Article said:
His death at a local hospital drew angry demonstrators to a vigil, where a group held "White Lives Matter" signs and a Confederate flag.
Disgusting. Using a person's death as a means to push their racist agenda.

platocplx

The very fact that people are casual about the phrase 'suicide by cop' is mind-boggling to me.

right. that shouldnt be a phenomenon. Why cant there be a peaceful resolution. Has it gotten so bad that officers cannot try to reach a peaceful resolution? Especially when they outnumber a suspect why arent they in cover and speaking to the guy.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
....really? That's an acceptable outcome?

If a guy is purposely hiding his hand in his waistband, making sudden movements, it's not unreasonable to expect that as an outcome.

There's another thread where I just talked about garnishing cops wages for shooting people - I'm not one way or another, but this absolutely looks like this guy wanted the outcome himself. Is it an acceptable outcome by this 19 year old to put his death on other people?

The very fact that people are casual about the phrase 'suicide by cop' is mind-boggling to me.
It's a suicide method, it's not magically invented, and don't think people take it lightly, it's shitty all around:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_by_cop

You guys have a point - maybe it was a "suicide by cop" based on the victim supposedly stating he wasn't happy with his life while reaching behind his back (which apparently happened before his video). However, once he was on the ground and had two bullet holes in him, I can't really see the argument that he was reaching for a gun in or around his waistband. Seriously, if you were on the ground bleeding out, how rational would you be? Could you possibly be moving your hands around to try and stop the bleeding (putting some pressure to the wounds)? Could you be having death throes?

I'm skeptical that after shooting the teenager two times, the cops couldn't have found another solution besides shooting him two more times. Why not back away so he can't shoot them (by getting behind their vehicles)? Why not move in on him and subdue him; he wasn't going to put up much resistance having been shot twice already. I just don't see why the cops were in a hurry to move to that distance in regards to the victim's position; at that distance, they 1) are too far to physically restrain him but 2) are close and exposed enough to put themselves at risk of being shot (if the victim had in fact possessed a weapon).

Obviously, I'm basing all this on the short written report and the short video clip, but it just seems like a mishandled situation at the best.

If you read the story, it sounds like a suicide by cop though...

That case seems sketchy based on the guy's behavior - I don't think you can fault the cops.He kept hiding his hands in his waistband multiple times, and hiding his hand behind his back.

Reads like it might have been suicide by cop.

Yeah the guys behavior was fucking weird as hell. Suicide by cop most likely.

Suicide by cop.

An unarmed man committed suicide by cop. Fascinating.

You guys have a point - maybe it was a "suicide by cop" based on the victim supposedly stating he wasn't happy with his life while reaching behind his back (which apparently happened before his video). However, once he was on the ground and had two bullet holes in him, I can't really see the argument that he was reaching for a gun in or around his waistband. Seriously, if you were on the ground bleeding out, how rational would you be? Could you possibly be moving your hands around to try and stop the bleeding (putting some pressure to the wounds)? Could you be having death throes?

I'm skeptical that after shooting the teenager two times, the cops couldn't have found another solution besides shooting him two more times. Why not back away so he can't shoot them (by getting behind their vehicles)? Why not move in on him and subdue him; he wasn't going to put up much resistance having been shot twice already. I just don't see why the cops were in a hurry to move to that distance in regards to the victim's position; at that distance, they 1) are too far to physically restrain him but 2) are close and exposed enough to put themselves at risk of being shot (if the victim had in fact possessed a weapon).

Obviously, I'm basing all this on the short written report and the short video clip, but it just seems like a mishandled situation at the best.

The victim was unhappy! We had to defend ourselves

It's a suicide method, it's not magically invented, and don't think people take it lightly, it's shitty all around:
It's a suicide method in the US. The fact that the police felt vindicated shooting someone who had no apparent weapon just a presumed one because he seemed threatening and walked towards them is crazy. I get that Americans can and do have guns but realistically this wouldn't happen in many other developed countries. I guess maybe American police are paranoid because of the proliferation of guns and will just shoot in situations like this.

I mean, it's not acceptable to do this even if he 'wanted to die'. Depression is a treatable psychological condition. He was only a kid for God's sake.

KHlover

Banned
An unarmed man committed suicide by cop. Fascinating.

The victim was unhappy! We had to defend ourselves
As you can see pretending to be armed was enough for it to happen, so I don't see why being armed has anything to do with this being Suicide by Cop.

EDIT: I see you edited your comment.

As you can see pretending to be armed was enough for it to happen, so I don't see why being armed has anything to do with this being Suicide by Cop.

EDIT: I see you edited your comment.

I did not edit that comment. I added the second comment.

I just don't think that unarmed mentally ill people should be put down using the same method that is used for rabid animals.

Squalor

Yes, let's all jump on the "suicide by cops" train just because the cops said he had been acting weird.

Okay…

I did not edit that comment. I added the second comment.

I just don't think that unarmed mentally ill people should be put down using the same method that is used for rabid animals.

That's not at all how it works. Mentally ill people understand that police will shoot if they think you are drawing on them and so they mime it or in many cases actually do draw on them with the intention of being killed.

And yes, that means police kill crazy people. It's a very shitty situation.

Reaching into anything is not justifiable cause to shoot a man dead. If you take a oath as a law enforcement officer then you accept the risk that the job comes with.

If you're so fucking scared that you HAVE to pump shots into someone because they put their hand in an "scary place" then drive to the precinct, turn in your badge, clear out your locker. Because you are not fit to be an officer of the law. Notice that term? "Of the law". It's not "Officer of fear" or "Officer of wanting to go home". If you're not willing to take the risk take the badge off.

It's not for everyone.

That's not at all how it works. Mentally ill people understand that police will shoot if they think you are drawing on them and so they mime it or in many cases actually do draw on them with the intention of being killed.

And yes, that means police kill unarmed crazy people. It's a very shitty situation.

ftfy

Business

When the police has to suspect anyone can pull a gun at anytime that's what you get, idiots in the force killing people totally unnecessarily. RIP.

Eidan

Reaching into anything is not justifiable cause to shoot a man dead. If you take a oath as a law enforcement officer then you accept the risk that the job comes with.

If you're so fucking scared that you HAVE to pump shots into someone because they put their hand in an "scary place" then drive to the precinct, turn in your badge, clear out your locker. Because you are not fit to be an officer of the law. Notice that term? "Of the law". It's not "Officer of fear" or "Officer of wanting to go home". If you're not willing to take the risk take the badge off.

It's not for everyone.

This can't be said enough. If we have cops whose first instinct is to kill anyone that acts weird because they're so petrified of being on the streets, then they're not fit for the fucking job.

Aaron

Suicide by cop is like voter fraud. The actual instances are infinitesimal, but it makes a convenient excuse to defend abhorrent behavior.

Maybe it's time to train for a different outcome of these situations, USA police...
This is waaaaay beyond embarrassing and waaay beyond worrying..

How do you train cops not to do this in a society in which literally anyone can be armed and loaded with armor piercing rounds?

How do you train cops not to do this in a society in which literally anyone can be armed and loaded with armor piercing rounds?

Taser, night stick, rubber bullets, beanbag rounds, tear gas.

You know, the stuff they use on people who protest police abuse.

And yes, that means police kill crazy people. It's a very shitty situation.

Source please. And I will not accept fictional TV shows.

jmizzal

Or the cops can shoot them in the arm or leg, I mean you dont have to shoot anybody multiple times before you even see a weapon.

If a person pulls a weapon out and is about to point it, ok that maybe a different story

Or the cops can shoot them in the arm or leg, I mean you dont have to shoot anybody multiple times before you even see a weapon.

If a person pulls a weapon out and is about to point it, ok that maybe a different story
I generally agree with you but if you're going to shoot someone, you go for center mass.

Source please. And I will not accept fictional TV shows.

Are you trying to suggest that Suicide by Cop is not a real thing or what? It's an actual official cause of death that can be ruled. I'm not some apologist, I'm just informing you as you seem to think it's made up.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I don't know what to say anymore. Case by case basis sure, but I'm so tired of these stories.

All I can say is, he was definitely no threat for the last round of fire. I'm not trained, but there was some bad judgement here.

EGM1966

The question isn't whether this was suicide by cop it's whether the officers had sufficient justification.

From appearances I think that's questionable unless there's evidence he started to produce an actual weapon vs simply making hand guestures.

Officers should have responsibility to take suicide by cop into account and seek peaceful resolution of possible unless truly threatened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom