• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pro skier Matilda Rapaport dies during promotional film shoot for Ubisoft's Steep

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...apaport-dies-during-film-shoot-for-steep.aspx

proskiersteep_610.jpg

While filming a promotional video for Ubisoft's upcoming extreme sports simulator Steep in Chile, professional skier Matilda Rapaport died after getting caught in an avalanche.

"Matilda was an extraordinary athlete, traveling the world to find her passion, ride steep terrain, and share her bright smile," Red Bull wrote of Rapaport in a memorial post on its website. Ubisoft shared similar sentiments in a statement to GameSpot, which you can find below.

We are deeply saddened to learn the death of Matilda Rapaport, the remarkable Swedish freeskiing athlete. During a video production in Chile on Thursday, July 14th, Matilda was caught in an avalanche. Despite the medical care and treatment over the subsequent days, it was not possible to save her life. Matilda's courage, passion, and desire to share the sport she loved with the world served as an inspiration for other athletes and for us all. This tragic accident has deeply touched us. Our hearts and prayers go out to her husband and her wider family at this difficult time.

Alongside her work related to Steep, Rapaport also appeared in other skiing films like Shades of Winter, Pure and the upcoming film Between. You can find out more about Rapaport and her work on Red Bull's website.

Awful, awful news. RIP.

Dying in an avalanche must be one of the worst death. You panic for hours packed in heavy snow, can't figure out which way is up, before freezing to death. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.

Dying in an avalanche must be one of the worst death. You panic for hours packed in heavy snow, can't figure out which way is up, before freezing to death. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.

Are you sure you don't die super quickly from the impact of the snow, rocks, etc? I'm sure it varies, but...

Are you sure you don't die super quickly from the impact of the snow, rocks, etc? I'm sure it varies, but...

I'm going from what I recall about a documentary I watched years ago, but no i think you're still alive even if unconscious unless ofc stuff like rocks hit your head or something.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Having skied before, I'll never understand how pro skiers survive long enough to be as good as they are at what they do. Shit's freaking insane.

Shitty news :/
May she rest in peace.

Damn, RIP.

A lot of people get trapped under snow and try to dig themselves out but end up digging themselves in deeper.
I don't remember where I heard it, but someone said that, if you are caught in this and still conscious, spit and watch where your saliva goes, and that is down. Then dig in the opposite direction.

Really sad news. These people are passionate about their sport so much. Wish modern day technology could come up with some sort of preventive measures for extreme sports. Seems pretty inevitable during natural instances likes this.

R.I.P.

Daft Punk

Banned
Rest in Peace

The cost was too steep this time. RIP. It remember my little brother went on a skiing trip and rode a snowboard on the bunny hills. He literally tumbled down the bunny hills and got a concussion. I'm afraid to even think of extreme snow sports now.

That's awful. But if she was filming wouldn't she have been with a crew of some sort who could have gotten help? :(

Powder Avalanches can travel upwards to around 250 mph, others less fast but do significant damage regardless. Safe to say you don't want to be trapped in any. I think people need to be rescued in around 15 mins or it proves fatal due mostly to hyperthermia, suffocation etc, something like that.

RIP, sad loss for the sport.

Avalanches are a horrifying way to go. I remember watching a video of a man who got caught in an avalanche whilst filming with a camera on his jacket. It's just silence as you're laying there buried.

Luckily, one of his poles stuck above the snow and his friends found him.

RIP. :(

What if no light passes through the snow

If you can't see, drooling so you would feel which way it goes is my guess, but then again if you're under heavy snow chances are you're cold as shit and might not even feel anything. Man just thinking about it is frightening. Poor girl, may she rest in peace.

The Gamester

Neo Member
So sad to see something like this happen. When I went snowboarding a common tip was to carry a lighter and the flame would always point up. The spit/saliva could be almost impossible to see in the dark.

Top Bottom