• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pro skier Matilda Rapaport dies during promotional film shoot for Ubisoft's Steep

Seik

Banned
Dead buried in snow, this is an horrible way to leave this world. At least she left doing what she loved.

RIP and sympathies to family and friends. :(

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Watched a few of her videos to honor her memory. What a sad loss, and what an impressive life.

Hero

Rest in peace, what a terrible way to go
A lot of people get trapped under snow and try to dig themselves out but end up digging themselves in deeper.

Not that I ever hope to be buried in an avalanche but one way to tell which way you are is to spit/drool since gravity will kick in.

Glassboy

RIP. You were a badass for doing what you did. I could never ski at those heights on those slopes. I hope her husband can find peace in life. Awful thing to happen

Really sucks, RIP. At least she died doing what she loved, and I'm sure she was aware of the risks. It's why they call them extreme Sports, there's always a danger. Hope Ubi does something in commemoration.

MDave

RIP

Rest in peace, what a terrible way to go

Not that I ever hope to be buried in an avalanche but one way to tell which way you are is to spit/drool since gravity will kick in.

I had the thought that you could feel the weight of the snow on top of you and figure out that is the direction to dig towards. The weight of the snow if your buried deep might be too much to actually dig through though, I don't know how heavy snow would be under several feet of it.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Sad news. RIP Rapaport

A lot of people get trapped under snow and try to dig themselves out but end up digging themselves in deeper.

That's where carrying a lighter is handy. Light flame and see if it tries to bend. The tip of the flame points up.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
It's exceedingly rare in this world that anyone gets the chance to go out doing something they love and are great at.

I hope her kids and husband have a lot of support and love around them.

Oreoleo

"Despite the medical care and treatment over the subsequent days, it was not possible to save her life."

Sounds like she didn't actually die IN the avalanche but more as a result of injuries she sustained? Doesn't make it any less tragic, but it would be a slight relief knowing she didn't die buried in the snow. RIP.

Dunkley

No one should die for a shitty Ubisoft game.
RIP, what a loss.

Ubisoft killed someone. now they're definitely the worst gaming company

You guys deserved to be banned. Someone died and your first thought is to talk shit about Ubisoft?

Are you fucking kidding me?

On topic I have to say this is terrible news to wake up to. I remember reading about her getting hit by an avalanche a few days ago and being in a coma, it's sad she didn't make it.

My condolences to her family and friends. She seemed like a great person.

"Despite the medical care and treatment over the subsequent days, it was not possible to save her life."

Sounds like she didn't actually die IN the avalanche but more as a result of injuries she sustained? Doesn't make it any less tragic, but it would be a slight relief knowing she didn't die buried in the snow. RIP.

She was in a coma for a few days
(swedish source), and died in a hospital.

Rapaport, who was 30 years old, was skiing in a film shoot outside the resort town of Farellones on Thursday after a major snowstorm when the avalanche occurred. She died later in hospital after suffering oxygen deprivation and brain damage.

So no, she didn't die buried in the snow, but rather through the injuries sustained because of the avalanche.

Oreoleo

Can you even breathe under all that snow?

It's possible, but difficult. I forget the method but I remember reading that if you can manage to make a small pocket under the snow in front of your face, or fall in a way that your face isn't packed in you can get a little air to survive until someone hopefully finds you.

This link that Dunkley posted just above (thank you btw) says her coma was a result of oxygen deprevation, so while you CAN breathe under the snow if you're lucky, it is far from a guarantee.

Cerium

Dying in an avalanche must be one of the worst death. You panic for hours packed in heavy snow, can't figure out which way is up, before freezing to death. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.

Can't you try to see which direction your breath rises? That's what you're supposed to do when you're underwater anyway.

Zereta

Fuck.

RIP. Matilda, I never heard your name before this and probably never would have till I played Steep.

No one should have to go out this way.

Top Bottom