• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bound (PS4) |OT| Dance the night away

carJUg4.gif

Bound
Developer: Plastic
Publisher: Sony
Release date: 16th of August 2016
Platforms: PS4, PSVR (to be ready for PSVR launch)
Players: 1 player only
File size: 1.5GB (digital download only)
Price: £15.99 (UK), $19.99 (US), 20% PS+ pre-order discount

What is Bound?
Bound is a ballet-platforming game from Polish demoscene developers Plastic; previously known for Linger in Shadows and Datura on PS3. I’ll let the spiel from the PS Store take it away:
A pregnant woman walks barefoot on a beach / A young princess defends her surreal realm.

A scribbled diary reminds her of the past / A land of fractals and strange geometries.

A fractured memory of a fragile family / A balletic journey of impossible grace.

A dance / a mission / a magical realm / a nightmare / an unfolding dream.

Bound is all of these things.

To be truly free, you must examine what binds you.

Media:
c9BZwxx.png

NapUb1a.png

4EqVUM4.png

x8gBP03.png

fbtavn3.gif

KBRrJpv.gif

JTfUo2l.gif

1i1TevX.png

E3 2016 trailer

IGN preview video, 28th July (skip to 11 minutes for the creative director playing the game)

Bound on Imgur
@PlasticDemo
Review topic

Bit of a rushed OT as no-one had claimed it and I didn't have a lot of free time today. If you have any suggested changes I'm happy to expand the first post a bit.

Elven_Star

Almost bought it today, but the reviews are mixed, and the game is quite short apparently. Got other games to play for now; gonna wait for a sale.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Yay, almost out.
Damn NMS taking all my gaming time currently. I definitely will make time for this and Abzu though.

SOR5

Cool OT thanks

Hint: The rain in-game makes dualshock symbols on the floor! Also bit let down that the OT title isn't "What you doing in the club on a Thursday?"

It's a really beautiful game and the animation on the princess is insanely good. I don't suppose anyone knows what engine they're using? The art style and game world remind me of a few different things, but I'm thinking mainly Mirrormask. Decent little film, if you haven't seen it. A bit like Labyrinth, and I think it's based on a Neil Gaiman book.

Shin-Ra

The real-life parts of Bound have incredible image quality, taking the PS4 iq crown from Tearaway Unfolded.

(don't view these screenshots if you're extremely sensitive to 'spoilers', it's the very start of the game)

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8016/28394486603_a959b1ed5e_o.png
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8073/28394489003_787367cd90_o.png

There's a photo mode in this correct?
Yeah, lots of settings and supersampled image quality if you leave the controls.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
holy spoilerz batman lmao

Gonna wait till I hear game length. The animation is so fucking fluid though, and the art style is shit of my dreams.

kyser73

I only got to play through the first level last night, but my take so far:

It's stunning. Visually one of the most incredible things I've seen in gaming. The whole world moves constantly, the dancer's mocap is outstanding and the IQ & lighting make swinging the camera around a joy - even in the first level I had some genuine 'Whoa!' moments at how arresting this is.

This will be bonkers in VR!

Gameplay is about what I expected, but it is nice that there are route choices through the levels, some more challenging than others.

Enjoying it so far anyway, and if you want to see sonething genuinely beautiful get this.

This game has long looked really gorgeous and fascinating since its E3 reveal and I feel like I really need to play it, but then I remember it comes from the same people who made Datura and that gives me major pause. Datura has to be one of the dumbest, dullest games I've ever played. :/

This does look about a million times better, though...

AwShucks

I loved Linger In Shadows, which wasn't really a game. Plastic has done some other great videos in the demo scene. So I plan on getting this at some point for sure.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
The real-life parts of Bound have incredible image quality, taking the PS4 iq crown from Tearaway Unfolded.

(don't view these screenshots if you're extremely sensitive to 'spoilers', it's the very start of the game)

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8016/28394486603_a959b1ed5e_o.png
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8073/28394489003_787367cd90_o.png

Yeah, lots of settings and supersampled image quality if you leave the controls.

It's a game that's probably less than 2 hours long, so showing anything that hasn't been shown in promo materials seems pretty spoilery to me. And I don't consider myself "extremely sensitive" to spoilers.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
This is VR compatible? I may jump in for the reduced pre-order price just to have it ready for Oct.

nikos

Always planned on getting this, but No Man's Sky is currently owning my life. Trailer is too hype though, so I bought it. Looking forward to experiencing this!

D.Va

Neo Member
Not feeling the animation, particularly her landing animation. Or... I wonder if a young dancer did the mo-cap for this, because it looks like it. Game looks gorgeous though. Still considering if I want to buy it or if I'll just watch it on Youtube.

ChrisD

Dang iiiit, I missed the pre-order window. Intended on doing it yesterday, got side-tracked playing other stuff...
Will hold out on buying while still playing said other stuff, I suppose. Looking forward to seeing impressions all the same!

Dartastic

Damn this is stunning. Question, does the page that you select matter? and if so, is there a way to see which ones you've done? That bit is confusing.

So far I'm loving it and I'm very curious of the story at this point, at this stage though the trophies look like a pain. I won't get the platinum im just gonna enjoy it.

Top Bottom