• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR PS4 pro benefits

irkutsk12

Neo Member
I wish I could find the developer on GAF that is on the Plastic team that made BOUND. I want to tell that guy "thank you so much for making BOUND one of the best looking VR games on Planet Earth."

And the different perspectives that you get in VR over normal 2D mode makes it a slower moving game for me (as far as pace is concerned) and I love that!

Thank you :). There's still one more patch to do :). Bringing more options to camera again. This is such dynamic topic that we need to expose more possibilities.

irkutsk12

Neo Member
Thanks again :). I'm going through all PSVR games right now and checking free look cameras. It's interesting that in Windlands swinging on a rope doesn't hurt but falling down with gravitational acceleration is really bad for me ;). We will definitely make blinks optional, do a smooth rotation around the character as another option, and I still think about the free movement camera ...

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Thanks again :). I'm going through all PSVR games right now and checking free look cameras. It's interesting that in Windlands swinging on a rope doesn't hurt but falling down with gravitational acceleration is really bad for me ;). We will definitely make blinks optional, do a smooth rotation around the character as another option, and I still think about the free movement camera ...
Just one guy's opinion (and I have decent VR legs) but for me the main factor in free camera working well is responsiveness. It absolutely cannot lag behind the response my brain is expecting. And any kind of acceleration is also quite off-putting. But the worst thing is pressing the stick with a certain expectaion for movement and the game not being able to keep up. That delay, even slight, makes me feel ill pretty quickly.

Tomb Raider is a good example of this. It has a free mode, but the camera is too slow, and doesn't feel smooth and responsive. It feels like it's lagging behind my inputs, and that's what eventually brings on the stomach churn.

I've purchased Bound, but haven't actually gotten to playing it yet, so cannot give any specific feedback... but just in general I've found that free camera (for me) comes down to smoothness and responsiveness. Speed isn't really the issue like some devs have said (they make the camera slow so people don't get sick) as long as the camera's behaviour matches my expectation when pressing the stick. And it has to be smooth. Any chop or stutter and it's eventually going to affect me.

DriveClub DOES look better... the menus are more clear, the monitor inside the cars is more clear, and even looking around the area before a race is more clear.

Crossposting from the other topic:

PSVR ON PS4PRO IMPRESSIONS

finally got it up and running and these are the 3 titles I've played on it so far. Yes, there is definitlely a visual improvement and it actually makes me wish I played the games I have already; on the pro. so here we go:

REZinfinite AREA X
Its less fuzzy than before so the game has a solidity which most people mention. Sharper cleaner, and better looking. Area X looks sharp and you can make out the definition on the chick at the end better (hair/face) etc
Improvement score: 5/10 (Because it looked really good before)

Thumper
The thumper universe now looks sharper and clearer and as you're zooming down the tracks, its all reads cleaner and better.
Improvement score 6/10 (like Rez, it looked really quite good before)

PSVR worlds - London Heist
Well then, I must have posted impressions earlier in this thread and I might dig them out but the visuals and the jaggies didn't impress but now its night and day. The close up scenes with MIcky and the other guy are really great and almost every sequence looks way better. Most improved and played through the whole demo again loving it. The driving sequence felt really exhilarating this time. Also played the built in gun range mini game and had a blast. Need to get to the rest of the demos/games I have.

Improvement Score 9/10 (this is the sort of improvement I hope to see in the kitchen demo - I hope Capcom patches it)

If you own a PSVR and love to game on it, sell the pS4 and upgrade with the balance.

vpance

Playroom is another level on Pro, jeezus. Everything is so much sharper, and brighter too. It's like going from 480p to 1080p.

Ammogeddon

Losing my game saves was a blessing in disguise as I'm experiencing everything from the beginning again but with pro enhancement.

Spent ages getting toys from the Playroom claw grabber and inspecting them close up. You can really appreciate the improvement.

If you have PSVR and the money, upgrading to the pro is definitely worth it.

So good to hear I may be able to fly the camera around in VR for Bound.... I'm one of those that enjoys playing with camera angles/ motions/sweeps and such.

kyser73

Thank you :). There's still one more patch to do :). Bringing more options to camera again. This is such dynamic topic that we need to expose more possibilities.

Your post-release support for Bound has been exceptional guys - truly outstanding work all round.

Schlomo

The one thing I would love is fixed camera perspectives, changing automatically when you come in view. But that's probably hard to do.

Planet

I do get those blackouts for a second or two, along with audio dropouts, twice even completely losing audio until I reboot PS4 Pro or the breakout box. The issues are annoying, but they don't occur often enough to make it unusable. Never had them before with the regular PS4 though, a bit worrying. Hopefully a firmware update of either PS4 or PS VR will eliminate this. :/

PlayRoom VR really is the best example of possible Pro benefits. Other titles are more subtly cleaner looking.

I tried out a few games with my Pro last night. The biggest difference is Rigs, the blurry periphery is gone and everything looks cleaner in general. Rez Area X was cleaner but it was already pretty crisp so the difference wasn't huge. I couldn't see a difference with Batman, but I haven't played that one in about a week so its hard to say.

The best improvement for me so far is the rear USB slot. Being able to leave it plugged in all the time is great. But the improvements, especially with Rigs, makes me hopeful that devs take advantage of the Pro in the future.

Amiibro

I wish I could find the developer on GAF that is on the Plastic team that made BOUND. I want to tell that guy "thank you so much for making BOUND one of the best looking VR games on Planet Earth."

And the different perspectives that you get in VR over normal 2D mode makes it a slower moving game for me (as far as pace is concerned) and I love that!

The devs post on the PSVR Reddit pretty often when the game is being talked about.

Marlenus

Not sure If this is my imagination but Driveclub VR on the pro seems to be a lot lot clearer with objects in the distance. Still plenty of aliasing but I seem to be able to see a lot further up the track than before which does make it far easier.

oatmeal

Banned
I get mine on Tuesday (Pro), excited to see Batman and VR Worlds.

Would be nice if Until Dawn get a better patch, and I'd love it if DriveClub VR got another one...sad it didn't get much.

Synless

Jackal demo looks great on pro. I never played it on my OG PS4 so I'm unsure how it looked then... certainly looks great now.

Fisty

I get mine on Tuesday (Pro), excited to see Batman and VR Worlds.

Would be nice if Until Dawn get a better patch, and I'd love it if DriveClub VR got another one...sad it didn't get much.

Some things you'll notice on Until Dawn:

-the shimmering on the guy's face when he talks to you is completely eliminated

-objects have greater detail at a distance, possible increase in res as well

-the little enemies on level 5 don't get blurred into the dark floor like they do on vanilla, they retain a distinct figure and don't look like orange dots on a murky black smear

-overall image looks cleaner

oatmeal

Banned

-the little enemies on level 5 don't get blurred into the dark floor like they do on vanilla, they retain a distinct figure and don't look like orange dots on a murky black smear

I also read there's self shadowing from your flashlight now.

Damn, these impressions made me put this on my shopping list. Definitely need to buy (and find time to play it >_ <)

Damn, I thought I had read somewhere that Here They Lie had a Pro update but it's still low res. I hope it receives one in the future.

catweazle

Neo Member
I thought I’d go into detail on the PS4 Pro improvements we made to VR Worlds, as I know some of you are curious. General improvements are:

• Increased resolution
  • Improved lighting with higher resolution shadows, and more lights casting shadows
  • Screen space ambient occlusion where previously not present
  • Anisotropic filtering improvements
We also added screen space reflections to The London Heist and Scavengers Odyssey, and volumetric shadowed lighting and improved forcefield effects to Danger Ball.

Loudninja

I thought I’d go into detail on the PS4 Pro improvements we made to VR Worlds, as I know some of you are curious. General improvements are:

• Increased resolution
  • Improved lighting with higher resolution shadows, and more lights casting shadows
We also added screen space reflections to The London Heist and Scavengers Odyssey, and volumetric shadowed lighting and improved forcefield effects to Danger Ball.
Thanks for this!

Nice to see devs detail this stuff.

DieH@rd

Banned
I have a important question. Does PSVR cinematic mode has better visuals than base PS4 when user is playing 1080p+ game on a PS4 Pro [for example Shadow of Mordor, Ratchet, TLOUR, etc]?

Presumably, PS4 Pro should then use downsampling when preparing 1080p output for cinematic mode. Better AA, a bit better textures, less shimmer on distant objects, etc.

Does anyone has impressions of this or can test this?

Aceofspades

Banned

• Increased resolution

Thank you very much, I want to add that Danger ball is my favorite PSVR game.. I have been religiously playing it everyday, loved the accuracy of the animations.

Got my pro yesterday and have only tested Thumper so far. It's definitely cleaner. Feels much better and like everyone has been saying, the bosses look fucking amazing. They looked great before but it seems like there's much less aliasing now.

edit:
I thought I&#8217;d go into detail on the PS4 Pro improvements we made to VR Worlds, as I know some of you are curious. General improvements are:

• Increased resolution
Thanks for posting this! I can't wait to check out VR Worlds tonight. Ocean Descent is the first game I have everyone try in VR, after showing them the Worlds intro and hub area.

Futaba

Although it's been a few days between trying games on of ps4 and on the new pro, I'm definitely noticing resell nice improvements, its weird, the aa, ssao and better texture make it feel like the psvr suddenly has a higher resolution screen
Tracking feels much smoother and snappy too, I don't regret buying the pro for a second.

Reaching the end of the slide in robot rescue is still super jarring though, that rapid deceleration does a number in my eyes for a split second.

Most here know this but as a warning:

PSVR breakout box can't carry an HDR signal. So if you're wondering why you can do 4k but not 4k w/ HDR, that's why. Also, on a lot of TV's you have to turn on UHD Deep Color or Turn on Enchanced HDMI or something (depending on the brand) to get HDR at 4k. But that's going off-topic.

Has there been any info on Rush of blood pro enhancements?
Dude. Scroll up. Just like 20 posts above yours:

I also read there's self shadowing from your flashlight now.
I played Rush of Blood last night on the Pro, looking for these specific effects and I can confirm these are accurate and the game looks much better on the Pro.

Overall, I found that Playroom VR has the most significant improvement on the Pro. The Robot Rescue game looks incredible.

I do get those blackouts for a second or two, along with audio dropouts, twice even completely losing audio until I reboot PS4 Pro or the breakout box. The issues are annoying, but they don't occur often enough to make it unusable. Never had them before with the regular PS4 though, a bit worrying. Hopefully a firmware update of either PS4 or PS VR will eliminate this. :/

PlayRoom VR really is the best example of possible Pro benefits. Other titles are more subtly cleaner looking.
People are reporting HDCP issues.

Enter safe mode for the console,
Last option is HDCP - set it to 1.4
Confirm and reboot

This seems to alleviate the issue for most users. Yoy may need to also disable HDCP completely in the system OS

Top Bottom